What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Nicks now just a mediocre fantasy WR? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
Tampa Bay game aside, Is Nicks a 50 yard per game fantasy receiver or is he going to return to 100 yard plus with TD potential?

Tampa Bay game aside, Is Nicks a 50 yard per game fantasy receiver or is he going to return to 100 yard plus with TD potential?
I've watched every game closely, and he's looked like his old self twice. Week 2, when he blew up, and last week. The numbers weren't there last week, but it was because the Giants pulled out to a big lead early and went to a grind it out running game. Cruz also had a bad fantasy game (2/28) for the same reason.Nicks was running crisp routes, getting separation, and looking like the Nicks we've seen in the past. I expect to see a return to form starting this week, even in a tough matchup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carr/Claiborne have kept everyone but Brandon Marshall quiet. Bad matchup.

Previously, he wasn't close to 100%.

At least wait until next week.

I've watched every game closely, and he's looked like his old self twice. Week 2, when he blew up, and last week. The numbers weren't there last week, but it was because the Giants pulled out to a big lead early and went to a grind it out running game. Cruz also had a bad fantasy game (2/28) for the same reason.Nicks was running crisp routes, getting separation, and looking like the Nicks we've seen in the past. I expect to see a return to form starting this week, even in a tough matchup.
Yup. I was facing Austin and Witten in a league this week. I also started Nicks in two other separate leagues. I watched NYG build a huge league quickly and shut off the game knowing full well what would shortly ensue. Personally it was a fantasy disaster for me. Anyway..This was not the correct time to create this thread OP. Do you think it's fair to question any receiving performance in a game where said QB throws for zero touchdowns, his lowest passing total and lowest number of completions on the season? Let's also not forget DAL is allowing the 3rd fewest points to WRs this year.

I fully expect Nicks to go on a tear and NOW is the best time to buy-low. He's finally healthy and none of his remaining match ups are all that scary.

He looks healthy to me now. I give you permission to complain if he doesn't put up at least 100 yards or a touchdown this week.

He looks healthy to me now. I give you permission to complain if he doesn't put up at least 100 yards or a touchdown this week.
Pittsburgh's pass D isn't going to help. He does have a great finish on the schedule though once they get past PIT.

I wouldn't call him mediocre. But at this point in his career, I think you can call him injury prone.

Mediocre for the rest of the season seems a bit strong IMO, but I think he's a matchup play at the moment.

I'll be playing DT, Harvin, and Maclin over him this week.

Pittsburgh's pass D isn't going to help. He does have a great finish on the schedule though once they get past PIT.
Pitts pass D is driven by the discrepancy they have in TOP to date. They are eminently beatable when they are actually on the field.With Polamalu out, Taylor playing the worst ball of his career, and now Clark possibly out...I'd be all in on my NYG receivers.

:popcorn:

Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot, probable) estimated Friday that he's about 90-95 percent health entering Week 9 against the Steelers.

A Nicks blowup game is imminent. Even if it hasn't shown in the box score, he's looked every bit his usual self the last two weeks. Nicks estimated that three weeks ago he was in the 70-percent range at San Francisco. He caught five passes the next game against Washington, and four balls last Sunday at Dallas.

Source: USA Today

Nov 2 - 3:49 PM

Pitts pass D is driven by the discrepancy they have in TOP to date. They are eminently beatable when they are actually on the field.With Polamalu out, Taylor playing the worst ball of his career, and now Clark possibly out...I'd be all in on my NYG receivers.
Very :goodposting: . This is why it's often important to look behind the stats.
:popcorn: Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot, probable) estimated Friday that he's about 90-95 percent health entering Week 9 against the Steelers.A Nicks blowup game is imminent. Even if it hasn't shown in the box score, he's looked every bit his usual self the last two weeks. Nicks estimated that three weeks ago he was in the 70-percent range at San Francisco. He caught five passes the next game against Washington, and four balls last Sunday at Dallas.Source: USA TodayNov 2 - 3:49 PM
Yeah, it's coming. I can feel it in my bones. The buy-low window will be closing within the next two weeks.

Pitts pass D is driven by the discrepancy they have in TOP to date. They are eminently beatable when they are actually on the field.

With Polamalu out, Taylor playing the worst ball of his career, and now Clark possibly out...I'd be all in on my NYG receivers.
He did look pretty good in shutting down A.J. Green a couple of weeks ago. Still he can't cover both Nicks and Cruz by himself so I would expect Eli will have many favorable matchups at his disposal.

:popcorn: Hakeem Nicks (knee/foot, probable) estimated Friday that he's about 90-95 percent health entering Week 9 against the Steelers.A Nicks blowup game is imminent. Even if it hasn't shown in the box score, he's looked every bit his usual self the last two weeks. Nicks estimated that three weeks ago he was in the 70-percent range at San Francisco. He caught five passes the next game against Washington, and four balls last Sunday at Dallas.Source: USA TodayNov 2 - 3:49 PM
Based on your posts I've read in this thread, I think you may be bipolar. :excited: :angry: :P :rant: :pickle: :sadbanana:

Based on your posts I've read in this thread, I think you may be bipolar. :excited: :angry: :P :rant: :pickle: :sadbanana:
Well I was told not to complain until he's fully healthy so lets see how he does going forward.

He did look pretty good in shutting down A.J. Green a couple of weeks ago. Still he can't cover both Nicks and Cruz by himself so I would expect Eli will have many favorable matchups at his disposal.
Taylor actually got toasted again in that one by Green too. Keenan Lewis bailed him out by making a fantastic read on Dalton, leaving his man to knock down a certain TD. Green was 4 or 5 yards ahead of Taylor in the EZ. Pitch and catch if not for Lewis.That all said, I think Cruz goes off this game if either of them do. No Polamalu. Dinged up Ryan Clark. No real backup FS. If Clark is knocked out of the game that means.....Ryan Mundy gets put into the lineup. Ryan Mundy hits like a LB. He also covers like one. If at any point in the game he is asked to cover anyone in the slot, which would likely be Cruz most often, that guy is going to produce dividends.Ike and Keenan can at least run with Nicks(whether they can cover him is another thing altogether). If Clark can't go the whole game none of the other Steeler S have a hope of putting a lid on Cruz from the slot. If the Steelers get to that point I'd hope that they'd use Cortez the Killer on him, or let Tez play wide and have Lewis on the inside vs. Cruz.As treat mentioned, the Steelers defensive metrics are skewed this year by their disgusting advantage in TOP so far. Giants offense doesn't necessarily need a ton of time to put up yards/points though.

I just traded Bowe for Nicks in a 10 team redraft. :thumbup:

Nicks IMO will get much better down the stretch against GB, Wash. and NO.

I think Cruz will still get his, but it should open for Nicks particularly in those 3 games when I need him to make the playoffs.

'Area51Inhabitant said:
Pitts pass D is driven by the discrepancy they have in TOP to date. They are eminently beatable when they are actually on the field.

With Polamalu out, Taylor playing the worst ball of his career, and now Clark possibly out...I'd be all in on my NYG receivers.
As 5ish noted Taylor certainly doesn't get credit for shutting down Green.Hi/Lo bracket coverage on every snap is what happened.

Taylor is awful YTD. Guy bites on the double move every time cause his eyes are always in the backfield.

He's got Pitt (10th), Cincy (9th), GB (21st), Wash (31st), NO (32nd), Atl (5th), Balt (16th) coming up. After the bye he's got some nice matchups. Lets see what he does there.

0 catches at the half...oof. Manning only 4 of 12 for 5 YPA...double oof.
He was targeted three times deep early but I'm growing very impatient with him. I can't keep waiting for the "breakout" game.

Not sure what's going on today. He looked healthy last week (and still appears to be healthy this week), but he's just not getting looks. I felt pretty confident in him going into this week, even with the bad matchup...but I think that he's on my bench until he shows me something.

The Giants offense just doesn't look strong over the past few weeks, and they don't seem to be producing enough offensively to support all of their weapons from a fantasy perspective.

Eli won't look for him on 3rd downs, or in the RZ...at least it appears that way to me. Too lazy to look up situational target numbers.

Cool game Nicks. We got the "Eli had a ####ty game, what do you expect" excuse last week. This makes 2 in a row.
I wouldn't say it's an excuse when it's true. Cruz has had two poor games in a row too, as a result of it.Regardless, he's probably on my bench if I can afford it (Harvin, Mcfadden, Goodson, and Stevie Johnson all hurt on my team this week) at this point. I need to see him back to 100% and the team back to being committed to getting him the damn ball.

Users who are viewing this thread