What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Broyles (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Now might be a strategic time to pick him up. With Nate Burleson going down with injury, Ryan Broyles now comes in as WR3.

He might be a decent weapon for a struggling Stafford.

Redraft, pick him up wherever available. Drop some random flyer for him. He's got the goods.

Dynasty, I'm convinced that given playing time this kid will make plays.

Pay whatever you have to pay. I'm starting to kick myself for not paying to acquiring Randall Cobb. I've got the same kind of "breakout" vibe going on.

He's going to be a solid player.

He was able to get off the press at the line. He also made a great Touchdown reception.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm biased because I went to OU and followed Broyles through his days in Norman. The kid is special, and showed in the first opportunity last night that he can produce. He is a very polished route runner, has great hands and can make plays with the ball in his hand. There is a reason he set records while in college.

Having said that, I own Calvin Johnson and have been severely disappointed this year just like the rest of you who drafted him #1. I have not seen all the Detroit games, but I saw a very scared Matt Stafford last night who struggled immensely. The Stafford to Calvin connection one my league for me last year, but Stafford is completely out of sync in this offense this year.

If anything, opposing defenses will continue to game plan to take Calvin out of the game. This plays into Broyles strengths, which would be playing in the slot and working the underneath and intermediate routes. I would look to Broyles with confidence if you are looking for a solid WR3 with great upside. Again, this all hinges on how much we can all trust Stafford the rest of the year.

If Stafford can turn his season around, count me intrigued. Broyles was getting a lot of target love after Burleson went down and he looked pretty good on those plays. I would still consider him the third target at best on the Lions but Megatron will always draw the tough coverage towards him so a guy like Broyles could have some favorable matchups going forward.

If Stafford can turn his season around, count me intrigued. Broyles was getting a lot of target love after Burleson went down and he looked pretty good on those plays. I would still consider him the third target at best on the Lions but Megatron will always draw the tough coverage towards him so a guy like Broyles could have some favorable matchups going forward.
who's #2? He's playing in his first games and with Burleson out and the team struggling who ever makes plays will get the ball. He made plays.

Detroit, despite a pretty tough schedule (STL, SF, MIN, PHI, CHI) is averaging the 4th most yards per game.

But is 22nd in points per game (behind the Jets even)

Seems like Detriot's whole offense seems like they should be at a good buy low point. They are going to figure out how to punch it in the end zone at some point.

Detroit, despite a pretty tough schedule (STL, SF, MIN, PHI, CHI) is averaging the 4th most yards per game.But is 22nd in points per game (behind the Jets even)Seems like Detriot's whole offense seems like they should be at a good buy low point. They are going to figure out how to punch it in the end zone at some point.
The problem is that it doesn't let up except for a week or two with Sea, Jac, Min, GB, Hou, Ind and GB. At least half of those are tough matchups.

Detroit, despite a pretty tough schedule (STL, SF, MIN, PHI, CHI) is averaging the 4th most yards per game.But is 22nd in points per game (behind the Jets even)Seems like Detriot's whole offense seems like they should be at a good buy low point. They are going to figure out how to punch it in the end zone at some point.
The problem is that it doesn't let up except for a week or two with Sea, Jac, Min, GB, Hou, Ind and GB. At least half of those are tough matchups.
4th most yards with a tough schedule and defenses can change (ie: Charles Woodson broken collarbone)... Arizona Hou and MinIMO have shown some recent weaknessesFantasy playoff schedule @GB @ARI vsATL

4th most yards with a tough schedule and defenses can change (ie: Charles Woodson broken collarbone)... Arizona Hou and MinIMO have shown some recent weaknessesFantasy playoff schedule @GB @ARI vsATL
I hear ya but they have looked HORRIBLE despite getting some yards...what does Stafford have 5 tds? Brees got that last week, Rodgers surpassed that in one game...he had 41 tds last year and is on pace for less than 20.....they probably got 60% of their yards and 80% of their TDs in the 4th/late in the 4th. I know those count just as much as the ones in the 1st quarter but from someone watching for improvement and a sign of good things to come, I just haven't seen it. I have Stafford and have watched all the games and he looks horrible, guys are dropping balls, special teams are horrendous and their defense is spotty but playing better lately. They just aren't clicking at all and it looks like they took a step back not forward last game. So say he plays Sea next week and has another so-so week of 285-1-1 will you be confident starting him in a nice a Jac matchup? I sure wouldn't. I like Stafford as a talent but it's not just one thing going wrong on that team....they just seem completely frustrated and they have this unstoppable superstar that's been bottled up for the majority of the year. No one else in the offense is stepping up to help out but I have to say that Broyles has peaked my interest. I could quickly see him becoming a magnet due to his route running and the Calvin triple teams.

I did not mean to suggest Stafford is a start every week QB right now, like he was last year.

My point was just to suggest this week and next could be a nice buy low point for the whole offense.

I did not mean to suggest Stafford is a start every week QB right now, like he was last year. My point was just to suggest this week and next could be a nice buy low point for the whole offense.
I think the cheapest one with the best upside is Broyles. Burleson's injury has opened the door wide open and Titus Young has done absolutely nothing this year. Pettigrew is...I don't know what he is...he makes 5 yard catches and gets tackled after a yard...very unimpressive. Calvin is a beast but teams are taking him out and their running game isn't going to start carrying this team any time soon so they will continue to TRY to pass the ball.

who's #2? He's playing in his first games and with Burleson out and the team struggling who ever makes plays will get the ball. He made plays.
I should have probably rephrased that. He definitely does have the potential to become the number 2 target in that offense although I would right now put him at # 3 behind Young. I did like very much what I saw from him last night. Great stash right now on waivers with the potential of that offense and his wr2 potential if he continues to play like that.

I should have probably rephrased that. He definitely does have the potential to become the number 2 target in that offense although I would right now put him at # 3 behind Young. I did like very much what I saw from him last night. Great stash right now on waivers with the potential of that offense and his wr2 potential if he continues to play like that.
ya, looking through Young's performances this year he has 14, 11, 75 (50 yard hail mary), 17, 6 and 81 (last night) yards. He got more receptions, yards and looks last night than he has in any game so maybe he will be the guy that fills the void but I have both guys on my wire and I'm gonna snag Broyles.

It all Broyles down to attention. Megatron will be getting all of it per usual, leaving whoever steps up opposite him with a real opportunity. Not many people know this, but in Burelson's last three games, he was averaging 11.3 targets a game (14, 9, bye, 11). Depending on how Young's knee holds up, many of those targets should go to him, but this isn't a guarantee. This situation is definitely worth investing in, as two high upside options are undoubtedly going to get a up tick in targets.

Love Broyles talent. I didn't think that he'd find his way into regular rotation or be re-draft relevant til 2013. Pick him up where you can get him, this is going to get good. Young has been nothing but a disappointment so far, making many mental errors as well. Broyles will fit in nicely!

Your looking too into this... the reason this is why it is because Detroit does not do well until the fourth quarter when the teams they face are pretty much just in prevent Defense and trying to hold a lead. Detroit is a miserable offensive waste land this year and the blame goes squarely on three key areas: Mathew Stafford, The entire WR and TE group, Linehan.Its a merry-go-round mess of it all. Horrible and predictable offensive play calling, disgusting game management by the qb along with bad mechanics and accuracy, down right putrid receiving skills from everyone that has a ball thrown to them thats actually on target.THIS SUMS IT UP

Detroit is off a bit but a miserable offensive waste land is too harsh

I show Detroit QB scoring is 6th

Detroit RB scoring is 13th

Detroit WR scoring is 10th

Detroit TE scoring is 11th

Detroit is off a bit but a miserable offensive waste land is too harshI show Detroit QB scoring is 6thDetroit RB scoring is 13thDetroit WR scoring is 10thDetroit TE scoring is 11th
QB scoring is misleading because no one drafted Hill who had some lucky lightning strikes...people drafted Stafford who is 15th in my league as of this second.

Detroit is off a bit but a miserable offensive waste land is too harshI show Detroit QB scoring is 6thDetroit RB scoring is 13thDetroit WR scoring is 10thDetroit TE scoring is 11th
QB scoring is misleading because no one drafted Hill who had some lucky lightning strikes...people drafted Stafford who is 15th in my league as of this second.
Still, offensive wasteland?

Still, offensive wasteland?
not quite a wasteland but they were expected to be a top 5 offense so middle of the packish is a huge disappointment. Espeically when the QB numbers are split between 2 qbs and RB numbers were split between 2 RBs. The only really startable player on the entire offense has been Calvin and he's been a disappointment. Well, Leshoure/Smith weren't terrible but not great.

With all the DET WRs dropping every ball, Calvin being doubled all game, and the injuries I really like the upside. This guy can flat out play. He holds the receptions record in college for a good reason. The only thing I don't like is how raw he is. He really looked raw out there and is clearly a bit lost in the offense. I know at least one play where Stafford got into him.

I guess what it Broyles down to is....who would you start him over? Is he a guy you would plug in as your flex after Bye weeks? Who has the courage to start Broyles over a more proven flex type in a 10-12 team league? It will take some stones to start him unless you have a depleted roster in a very deep league.

I guess what it Broyles down to is....who would you start him over? Is he a guy you would plug in as your flex after Bye weeks? Who has the courage to start Broyles over a more proven flex type in a 10-12 team league? It will take some stones to start him unless you have a depleted roster in a very deep league.
Sure... he is a wait and see type stash

The Detroit run game also helps determine how effective Stafford and the passing game is. I really wish the run game steps up a little so that Stafford becomes Tom Brady-lite, and Broyles can be the high PPR slot receiver... in his rookie year!!!

"Who does #2 work for?" :hophead: I think Broyles has a chance to be second in the pecking order. Titus seems like speed, but not much precision in routes. Pettigrew lumbers along and fumbled out of bounds TWICE in about 3 plays vs. the Bears.

any chance he does anything this week? with Garcon, Amendola injured, and Steve Johnson on a bye, I have to throw him in the lineup.

I'm considering giving him a start over Martellus Bennett. I'd hate to miss his breakout game, but I don't think we've seen enough of him to know how involved he'll be.

Seattle WR points allowed this year:

Roberts ARI (a) 9 5 54 1 17.9 Fitzgerald ARI (a) 11 4 63 0 10.3 Doucet ARI (a) 3 3 37 0 6.7 Floyd ARI (a) 1 0 0 0 0.0 Austin DAL (h) 10 5 63 1 17.3 Bryant DAL (h) 7 3 17 0 4.7 Ogletree DAL (h) 1 1 26 0 4.1 Jones GB (h) 6 5 55 0 10.5 Jennings GB (h) 10 6 35 0 9.5 Nelson GB (h) 3 2 19 0 3.9 Cobb GB (h) 2 1 -1 0 2.9 Driver GB (h) 1 0 0 0 0.0 Amendola STL (a) 10 6 55 1 18.1 Givens STL (a) 3 1 52 0 6.2 Gibson STL (a) 4 2 28 0 4.8 Pettis STL (a) 2 2 22 0 4.2 Quick STL (a) 3 1 19 0 2.9 Smith CAR (a) 13 4 40 0 8.0 LaFell CAR (a) 3 3 44 0 7.4 Murphy CAR (a) 2 1 5 0 1.8 Welker NE (h) 14 10 138 1 29.8 Lloyd NE (h) 12 6 80 0 14.0 Branch NE (h) 4 1 5 0 1.5 Crabtree SF (a) 6 4 31 0 7.1 Williams SF (a) 4 1 18 0 3.1 Moss SF (a) 4 1 14 0 2.4
5th fewest FF Points Allowed to WRs this year.

This thread is starting to look eerily similar to the preseason Titus Young thread when everyone was in love with him and people dismissed Burleson. Even though Young was the clear long-term play, Burleson was ahead of him on the depth chart and the targets received by bouth during the season reflected that.

Now Young has taken Burleson's spot on the depth chart and last week received 2x the targets over Broyles (8-4). It was also clear from the Stafford-Broyles incident that Broyles has yet to fully learn the playbook. Plus Young has a full season of chemistry developed with Stafford to his advantage.

IMO Broyles is the shiny new toy and will see some decent games due to 3-WR sets but Young is the play for redraft just on sheer opportunity.

Of course until the knucklehead factor emerges again.

Scheffler is healthy now and will be all over this week - H back, 2nd TE, slot. Over the last 2 years he actually has a higher target-to-snap count ratio than Calvin.

I expect Burleson targets to be spread around to all three players, e.g., 6-8 TOG for Titus and Tony, less for Broyles.

Ryan is a good player to monitor for 2013 when his knee is back to full strength.

Broyles got his 4 targets in less than one half. He's the slot WR. Titus Young is gonna get swallowed up by the physical Seattle cornerbacks.

Broyles has a week to absorb the playbook. Broyles is the play for PPR leagues.

This thread is starting to look eerily similar to the preseason Titus Young thread when everyone was in love with him and people dismissed Burleson. Even though Young was the clear long-term play, Burleson was ahead of him on the depth chart and the targets received by bouth during the season reflected that.

Now Young has taken Burleson's spot on the depth chart and last week received 2x the targets over Broyles (8-4). It was also clear from the Stafford-Broyles incident that Broyles has yet to fully learn the playbook. Plus Young has a full season of chemistry developed with Stafford to his advantage.

IMO Broyles is the shiny new toy and will see some decent games due to 3-WR sets but Young is the play for redraft just on sheer opportunity.

Of course until the knucklehead factor emerges again.
From what I understand, this "incident" was a case of Broyles missing a last second hand signal from Stafford that caused the issues and not so much a lack of him understanding the playbook. That speaks more to a lack of chemistry and experience than Broyles being slow to pickup the offense which I think would be a bigger issue to overcome when thrown into the fire. A dependable, high percentage target that has a knack for getting open and making plays is exactly what Stafford needs, imo. I like Broyles a lot.

Is Broyles going to be strictly the slot guy? When he was coming out, the reports on him were that he was ideally suited to the slot and with Young's deep speed he would be more suited to the outside. If Broyles plays exclusively in the slot, he's got an opportunity to be a ppr gold mine.

Broyles got his 4 targets in less than one half. He's the slot WR. Titus Young is gonna get swallowed up by the physical Seattle cornerbacks.Broyles has a week to absorb the playbook. Broyles is the play for PPR leagues.
Broyles also had 2 end zone targets in a quarter and a half or so. One TD and one INT.

Is Broyles going to be strictly the slot guy? When he was coming out, the reports on him were that he was ideally suited to the slot and with Young's deep speed he would be more suited to the outside. If Broyles plays exclusively in the slot, he's got an opportunity to be a ppr gold mine.
I remember Rotoworld touting this exact scenario this summer a few times:With Calvin Johnson and Titus Young on the perimeter, we like Broyles to emerge as a 90-catch guy once he's fully healthy and integrated into the Lions' pass-first offense. Jul 29 - 9:08 AM

The TD he caught against CHI he was lined up outwide. Calvin was in the slot

Many once thought the similar things about Victor Cruz or Steve Smith or Marvin Harrison etc...

The reports of "he'll be a great slot receiver" were pre-TC.

Don't have a snap count from the MNF but he was lined up every time I noticed him.

IMO, they'll all rotate to the slot: Broyles, Scheffler, Young.

FWIW, Calvin takes about 30% of his snaps from the slot.

Users who are viewing this thread