What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dennis Pitta (1 Viewer)

shader

Footballguy
Flacco has targeted Pitta a ridiculous 24 times in two weeks. This is Pitta's 3rd season, so a breakout season isn't too far out of the realm of possibility.

Of all the breakout players, Pitta is the one that came out of nowhere for me.

I think it's legit. I thought throughout the preseason that Pitta was the better option in Baltimore, and grabbed him in nearly every one of my dynasty leagues. I thought he would battle with Dickson a little more for catches though, and I lacked the forsight to grab him in my redraft league.

I don't know if his current numbers are sustainable, but I do think that top 10 TE stats are. Flacco obviously has a nice connection with him, and he is a trustworthy receiving option who typically comes down with the ball.

Both? Game plan driven. Dickson will have games while he is te1 production too. Carried both for a while last yr. But any te getting 6+ targets is pretty much a top 10 te.

I grabbed him off the wire expecting solid, but not current production going forward. Rice has seen fewer touches than normal, and no WR has more than 9 targets to date. He's obviously earned Flacco's trust, but a leveling off seems inevitable.

there were indications that the torch was being passed at the end of last year....it has continued....there is room for some very solid fantasy points from the BAL TE...I see no reason why it's not legit....I believe Pitta may have approached the plug in and play territory of TE's.....start with confidence....

'Stinkin Ref said:
there were indications that the torch was being passed at the end of last year....it has continued....there is room for some very solid fantasy points from the BAL TE...I see no reason why it's not legit....I believe Pitta may have approached the plug in and play territory of TE's.....start with confidence....
:goodposting: Pitta was always the more reliable player, Dickson was just the superior athlete. After 2 years the staff and Flacco have decided to rely on the better player and inferior athlete. On an offense void of a #3, this is legit.

Is Pitta the best option in the Ravens offense?

NE is famous for taking their oppositions best option out of the game, as they did with Fitzgerald last week (1 catch, 4 yards).

Or does Ray Rice receive a knock this week and Pitta a boost?

Is Pitta the best option in the Ravens offense?NE is famous for taking their oppositions best option out of the game, as they did with Fitzgerald last week (1 catch, 4 yards).Or does Ray Rice receive a knock this week and Pitta a boost?
The Pats should be more concerned about Rice and Smith, my expectations are tempered a bit this week for Rice but obviously have to start him.

:blackdot:

Debating making a trade for him or one of the Big Two, so am interested in folks opinions of him. Watched some of Ravens game and he seems to be one of the top targets for sure.

What are we projecting for his upside numbers at this point? 75/800/8?

Strong play in PPR, especially 12+ team leagues. Other leagues, top 10 sure, but there are lots of guys around that area that are similar. Pitta's only problem is having Ray Rice in the redzone, I dont see a lot of TDs.

In his last seven games (including playoffs) dating back to last season, Pitta has caught at least three passes in every game but one and had five receptions or more in every game but two. He has 4 TDs in that span.

He looks legit to me.

Thoughts on him vs. Bennett? Both are available on the wire in my league
I had to make this decision as well and went with Dennis Pitta. It's pretty close, but ultimately I think Bennett is a bonehead and I don't trust him. He could totally out produce Pitta though, no denying that.

1. Ravens | Dennis Pitta moved to top tight end on depth chart (KFFL) Baltimore Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is the No. 1 tight end on the depth chart over TE Ed Dickson Wednesday, Sept. 19.

20. Ravens | Dennis Pitta is Joe Flacco's favorite target (KFFL) Baltimore Ravens TE Dennis Pitta has become QB Joe Flacco's favorite target through the first two weeks of the year. Pitta leads all Ravens in receptions and targets. "I think it's just a matter of me going through progressions and him maybe being the guy we're trying to target, or just going through and by the time I get to his point in the progression he's open," Flacco said.

I don't have the link handy, but I read somewhere on PFF that Pitta has a ZERO drop rate in 2011 & 2012 - meaning he hasn't dropped a catchable ball in that span of games.

(knocking on wood)

With Nicks out THIS WEEK, I like Bennett, hands down. Pitta will not continue to be targeted like he was in the Eagles game but is still likely to catch 4-6 balls a week if the Ravens offense continues to throw the ball like they have in the first two weeks of 2012. I'll echo the thought that Bennett is the better choice in TD heavy leagues while Pitta will be more productive in PPR leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
After two weeks, Pitta leads the league in targets for a TE.

He'd be third among WRs, in fact.

I think you have to consider him a top 10 fantasy TE at this point. I'm in the minority, but I actually think he's borderline top five.

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in Utah I get to watch a lot of BYU games (but I am a proud Utah fan) and I always remember Pitta at BYU making catch after catch, the guy rarely dropped a pass. Flacco is looking for him often as the security blanket and word is that the two are very close friends off the field. I would ride the hot hand here, as Dickson is a nice option 2 but Flacco doesn't trust him and he doesn't seem to have the great hands as Pitta has.

Living in Utah I get to watch a lot of BYU games (but I am a proud Utah fan) and I always remember Pitta at BYU making catch after catch, the guy rarely dropped a pass. Flacco is looking for him often as the security blanket and word is that the two are very close friends off the field. I would ride the hot hand here, as Dickson is a nice option 2 but Flacco doesn't trust him and he doesn't seem to have the great hands as Pitta has.
On top of this, I can remember watching the Combine the year Pitta came out and saying to myself, "I don't know who this Pitta guy is, but he's one hell of a WR!".I didn't know he was a TE at the time. Yep, he looked that good.

I think you have to consider him a top 10 fantasy TE at this point. I'm in the minority, but I actually think he's borderline top five.
In PPR leagues there's no question his upside is high. If he ends up being a top Red Zone target he could very well reach the status you mention. He sure looks like the No. 1 option in the Baltimore passing game right now and as the stats I posted earlier show this isn't a new development. It looks very much like a trend to me and one that could continue. He runs good routes, has great hands and Flacco clearly trusts him. There's a lot to like here.

I'd take Bennett with Knicks out. There's still another TE in Baltimore and Bennett seems to be the only one in NY.
Also, Eli always forcefeeds his TEs to good effect more or less regardless of talent. Whereas if the Ravens have any sense, they'll ease up on this absurd Flacco-centric offense and start giving the ball to Rice more. I know Cam Cameron has a long history of unbelievable stupidity, but I don't like to bet on teams failing to see the obvious.

Dickson looks a little bit like gresham to me... lots of potential but never enough production

i'd ride Pitta, 2 games is enough for me to start using him... with the targets he's getting there is definitely top 5 potential there

Going all in on Pitta. Granted it's not a difficult decision given my other options are Daniels and Tamme.

The high amount of targets and his success with Flacco going back to the end of last season are enough for me.

Only problem this week is New England mentioned him by name.. I hate when they do that.. it's like a horse head in your bed, or the kiss of death. At least for week 3..

Because of the Hernandez injury I picked up Pitta. I also have Witten so I am rolling with him for now with Pitta as a lottery ticket. If has 8+ targets this week I may have to reassess the situation.

Pitta got eighty million targets but was only on the field 63% of the time (Dickson is at 51%). I figured he was on the field a lot more than that.

Pitta got eighty million targets but was only on the field 63% of the time (Dickson is at 51%). I figured he was on the field a lot more than that.
I bet if you broke down the snap count by designed runs vs. designed pass attempts his percentage would be significantly higher. He's almost always on the field when the Ravens have designed pass plays. Dickson's on the field for the designed runs.

I bet if you broke down the snap count by designed runs vs. designed pass attempts his percentage would be significantly higher. He's almost always on the field when the Ravens have designed pass plays. Dickson's on the field for the designed runs.
thanks - I only have access to the snapcounts. PFF makes you pay now for the pass route information.

From PFF: Pitta ran a route on 66 of the Ravens' 88 pass plays (75%), and blocked on 5 others. Dickson ran a route on 35 (40%), and blocked on 11 others.

After two weeks, Pitta leads the league in targets for a TE.He'd be third among WRs, in fact.I think you have to consider him a top 10 fantasy TE at this point. I'm in the minority, but I actually think he's borderline top five.
The targets don't lie. He is tied for 5th in total targets in the league after 2 games. I doubt he maintains this pace over the season. But he doesn't have to if he keeps getting looks.Will defenses adjust to him getting so many targets now? I don't know if Pitta is the kind of player who can overcome more focus from defenses. The Ravens do have other options if a defense ever does however. This week will be interesting. Maybe Belichick solves how to play the Ravens and teams learn from it. Right now Pitta is on pace to get 92 catches. But even if he only got half the targets moving forward that he has averaged the last 2 games, at his current catch rate he would end up with 67 catches EOY. Splitting the difference of current pace and 50% of current targets moving forward 77 catches. To me this suggests he will have similar numbers this season to what Gonzalez has been doing the past 3 seasons. That certainly will compete for top 5 TE unless TE across the board sees another surge bumping him out of contention for it.

The Hernandez injury forced my hand but I was extremely relieved that he was available for me to grab this week. I'm hopping on the train, the stats (targets, catch rate, snap count) almost seem too good to be true. How did this guy go under the radar like this?

'Biabreakable said:
I don't know if Pitta is the kind of player who can overcome more focus from defenses.
I think this is a legit concern. Especially this week with mastermind Belichick scheming against him.And while I can't stand Marty Bennett as a person (based on his Hard Knocks days plus subsequent interviews), he seems to have the better situation for continued success this season - lack of other TE competition plus not one but two stud WRs to take the defensive heat.

I dont understand why Bill would scheme against Pitta - Smith, Rice, and Boldin aren't exactly pee wee leaguers.

'SameSongNDance said:
The Hernandez injury forced my hand but I was extremely relieved that he was available for me to grab this week. I'm hopping on the train, the stats (targets, catch rate, snap count) almost seem too good to be true. How did this guy go under the radar like this?
Because it wasn't clear if he or Dickson would be the one stepping up, or if they'd even just keep being a real-life-effective but fantasy-impotent TE team. Now we've seen that Pitta has been fully installed as the receiving TE, so there you go.

Dennis Pitta has moved ahead of Ed Dickson on the Ravens' official depth chart.It's a mere formality. Through two games, Pitta has racked up 13 catches for 138 yards and a touchdown on an absurd 23 targets. Dickson has faded to the background with a 3/45/0 line on seven targets. Pitta is on the TE1 radar heading into Sunday's showdown with the Patriots.

Can anyone that has seen the Ravens first two games this season comment on how a guy that hasn't dropped a pass in over a season has only 13 catches on 24 targets? I get that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon and he's been very productive in terms of targets, but that is a pretty brutal catch/target percentage if you simply look at stats w/o having seen the games. Has Flacco been erratic, does Pitta have a very limited catch radius - what's the scoop here?

Can anyone that has seen the Ravens first two games this season comment on how a guy that hasn't dropped a pass in over a season has only 13 catches on 24 targets? I get that everyone's jumping on the bandwagon and he's been very productive in terms of targets, but that is a pretty brutal catch/target percentage if you simply look at stats w/o having seen the games. Has Flacco been erratic, does Pitta have a very limited catch radius - what's the scoop here?
Targets can be a deceptive stat. A pass thrown 10 feet over a player's head that is clearly uncatchable is a target. A pass thrown out of bounds where the receiver has no chance to catch the ball is a target. Having watched both Baltimore games, I haven't seen any issues with Pitta that would concern me going forward in terms of him catching passes he should catch. Flacco's misfired on some of the targets. I can't recall any off the top of my head that I thought Pitta should've caught that he didn't. Overall, I think he's been very impressive and what the number of targets accurately represents is the huge role he's had and the trust Flacco clearly has in him.

Targets can be a deceptive stat. A pass thrown 10 feet over a player's head that is clearly uncatchable is a target. A pass thrown out of bounds where the receiver has no chance to catch the ball is a target. Having watched both Baltimore games, I haven't seen any issues with Pitta that would concern me going forward in terms of him catching passes he should catch. Flacco's misfired on some of the targets. I can't recall any off the top of my head that I thought Pitta should've caught that he didn't. Overall, I think he's been very impressive and what the number of targets accurately represents is the huge role he's had and the trust Flacco clearly has in him.
Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing the Ravens this week and will be looking to see if Pitta's the type of guy that's only capable of making catches that are on him or if he's athletic enough to go up/away to get balls that aren't perfect. The catch/target percentage is the only red flag I see so far.

there is no red flag boy can catch look at his week 1 td.. Hes not a Finley or Bennett with rock hands.. Hes like Jason Witten for Dallas not to fast not to slow n perfect hands and reliable

'SameSongNDance said:
2nd TE drafted on the Ravens in the same season, day 3 pick, concussion problems rookie year, lockout, Dickson hot start to 2011, Pitta came on a little towards the end of 2011 but lost all momentum when he missed almost all of camp because he broke his hand.

Users who are viewing this thread