What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nate Washington (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
Can't explain it but Nate was super efficient last year and has been on the same page with Locker. I am prediciting in catch up mode against the Pats D he puts up some nice first week fantasy numbers and is the waiver wire darling week1.

8 catches 125 yards and 2TD's.

Nice handcuff for the Kenny Britt owners in case things go sour.

Not available in any of my leagues either ... I own him and contemplating starting him over Maclin ...

He's my WR 4-5 behind Nicks, Nelson, Maclin, Wayne, NWashington, Amendola, SMoss

We don't know when Britt will be at full speed. I think that Washington is the starter in two wide sets with Britt with Wright being in the slot - others think that Wright starts. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know when Britt will be at full speed. I think he's the starter in two wide sets with Britt with Wright being in the slot - others think that Wright starts. Time will tell.
Right, expecting the same explosive Britt is not a wise expectation IMHO.

I want to play in leagues where players who have 1000/7 go undrafted the next year
In one of my IDP leagues we have 8 teams starting 2 wr's each. There are 13 starting positions with 4 bench spots. Are you really shocked someone like Nate Washington would not get drafted? Most teams carry 3, maybe 4, wr's. I'm not shocked at all he's sitting on the waiver wire.

I want to play in leagues where players who have 1000/7 go undrafted the next year
In one of my IDP leagues we have 8 teams starting 2 wr's each. There are 13 starting positions with 4 bench spots. Are you really shocked someone like Nate Washington would not get drafted? Most teams carry 3, maybe 4, wr's. I'm not shocked at all he's sitting on the waiver wire.
yeah the guy in the four team league / start 2 agrees. Any more wr's drafted in the 10th round in 99% of fantasy drafts we want to call a ww gem? Perhaps Sanchez plays well and Holmes will be a ww gem.

I picked up N Washington, mostly as trade bait later in the season, as i am already starting Calvin Julio and AJ with Desean and Torrey on the bench...

Somehow, I ended up with Washington AND Wright AND Locker.

This was not a plan. They were simply the best available players at the time I picked. Pray for me.

'by_the_sea_wannabe said:
yeah the guy in the four team league / start 2 agrees. Any more wr's drafted in the 10th round in 99% of fantasy drafts we want to call a ww gem? Perhaps Sanchez plays well and Holmes will be a ww gem.
Poor form dude. By you and the other holier than thou posters who can't comprehend that not every league is structured like theirs (gasp!). Get over yourselves.

So the consensus is that Washington should not be on the waiver wire in most leagues? Beyond week 1, as in after Britt is back, what kind role do you expect him to have?

So you mean he goes back to his old role before the Britt injury.

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD

2009 TEN 16 47 569 35.6 12.1 0 6

2010 TEN 16 42 687 42.9 16.4 2 6

About those numbers?

he was a better receiver period last year, and it had more to do with just Britt being out. his catch rate markedly improved. And again, Britt probably won't be at full speed the entire year, so we will see.

he was a better receiver period last year, and it had more to do with just Britt being out. his catch rate markedly improved. And again, Britt probably won't be at full speed the entire year, so we will see.
There's also the presumption that Britt will play all 16 15 games. Hardly automatic given the fact that he hasn't played more than 12 in the last two season, is injury prone AND suspension prone.

There's also the presumption that Britt will play all 16 15 games. Hardly automatic given the fact that he hasn't played more than 12 in the last two season, is injury prone AND suspension prone.
what he said.

Denarius Moore may not even play, he hasn't practiced in over a month. Even if Britt comes back week 2 or 3, I still think that Washington is the other starter and that he has another WR3 type season. If he's your WR4 then you're in a very good position all season.

The thing to look for is how much Washington plays in the slot. Last year, 70% of his production came when he was lined up in the slot: 52/725/5 in the slot out of 74/1023/7 overall (source: Pro Football Focus signature stats). He did not play the slot very often before last year (he had 360 snaps there last season, versus 83 total over his previous two years in Tennessee), so it looks like that change in role was a big part of the reason for his breakout.

If he keeps getting slot snaps this year then he could be a late round / waiver wire gem; if that role goes to Wright then probably not.

The thing to look for is how much Washington plays in the slot. Last year, 70% of his production came when he was lined up in the slot: 52/725/5 in the slot out of 74/1023/7 overall (source: Pro Football Focus signature stats). He did not play the slot very often before last year (he had 360 snaps there last season, versus 83 total over his previous two years in Tennessee), so it looks like that change in role was a big part of the reason for his breakout.If he keeps getting slot snaps this year then he could be a late round / waiver wire gem; if that role goes to Wright then probably not.
I honestly, I am tempted to go RB-RB-RB in a league and just nab a bunch of slot guys in my PPRs. My drafts are over, but I think it would be an interesting experiment.

The thing to look for is how much Washington plays in the slot. Last year, 70% of his production came when he was lined up in the slot: 52/725/5 in the slot out of 74/1023/7 overall (source: Pro Football Focus signature stats). He did not play the slot very often before last year (he had 360 snaps there last season, versus 83 total over his previous two years in Tennessee), so it looks like that change in role was a big part of the reason for his breakout.If he keeps getting slot snaps this year then he could be a late round / waiver wire gem; if that role goes to Wright then probably not.
That is slightly misleading. On a lot of snaps he was technically in tr slot with cook out wide on the other side and Williams out wide on washintons side.

That is slightly misleading. On a lot of snaps he was technically in tr slot with cook out wide on the other side and Williams out wide on washintons side.
then how is he misleading?

Because he was still running deep routes as opposed to the possession routes typically thought of as slot. Cook ran a lot of crossing routes and Johnson ran a lot of wheels put of the backfield. Washington was still running down and out a lot.

Because he was still running deep routes as opposed to the possession routes typically thought of as slot. Cook ran a lot of crossing routes and Johnson ran a lot of wheels put of the backfield. Washington was still running down and out a lot.
Good posts. I didn't see many Titans games last year and was going by the numbers. The numbers agree that Washington was still running plenty of routes down the field - he had 13.9 ypr from the slot, which was in the top 25% of all slot receivers (just ahead of Colston), and was 15th among all WRs in receiving yards on deep passes (with most of those coming in the deep middle).It still sounds like we should be watching to see what formations the Titans are using this year, and whether Washington keeps his role or they start using Wright there instead. Did you notice how they were lining up during the preseason?

I watched all the Titans games and it was hard to get a read. The main reasons are (a) Britt was out, and (b) they only played a handful of snaps.

Is this guy's value destroyed with the return of Britt?
Worth a stash but I wouldn't let him anywhere near your lineup this week. He could continue to get looks from Locker (or Hassel, or whoever plays) and put up borderline WR3 numbers, or he could fall off the radar and bring in 2 for 20.

Is this guy's value destroyed with the return of Britt?
Worth a stash but I wouldn't let him anywhere near your lineup this week. He could continue to get looks from Locker (or Hassel, or whoever plays) and put up borderline WR3 numbers, or he could fall off the radar and bring in 2 for 20.
Not as a starter, but as a WR3/4. With Britt coming back it seems like a crowded WR corps along with Wright.Most people drafted Nate assuming Britt would be suspended for multiple games.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, Britt is supposedly on a snap count of 15 to 25 plays this weekend. I don't ever believe these statements, even when made directly by Coach Munchak in this case. Still, for this week, I'd suggest Nate Washington has some restored value to what owners expected for Week 2 if they believed Britt would be suspended for at least 2-3 games as once seemed likely.

I'd also argue that until Britt looks healthy -- which could be Sunday, or could be October, who knows -- Nate is a little more intriguing. Britt's inability to stay healthy is hardly a secret. I don't think Nate is a centerpiece to fantasy success by any stretch, but you could do worse for now than to hold onto him for another week or two.

Pro Football Focus says that he had 24 snaps in the slot week 1, with 3 targets & 0 receptions. Last year in the slot he averaged about 23 snaps, 5 targets, 3 rec per game. So he does seem to be keeping a similar role to last year, so far, even though he didn't have the production week 1.

Is it guaranteed that Washington, a veteran WR who just had over 1,000 yards in this exact offense last season, and not Kendall Wright, a rookie with one NFL game under his belt, is the one set to lose the most playing time due to Britt's return?

Doesn't seem to make sense.

As I have said before, I think the rookie stays in the slot and Washington starts out wide with Britt (once Britt actually returns to the starting lineup). Time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread