What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

official 2nd pick thread (1 Viewer)

need2know

Footballguy
my league is .5 ppr, but otherwise pretty standard.

So, what is the consenus opinion on the number 2 pick? :football:

I am pretty sure it comes down to one of the big three RBs here. I think Foster has earned the number one spot and I would take him happily if the guy picking @ 1 decides on somebody else. Not only is he a stud but HOU division and schedule is super nice.

That leaves McCoy and Rice.

My first thoughts were to take McCoy. Eagles are a more explosive offense and McCoy had more TDs than Rice last year by 5. But after further thinking I am starting to lean Rice. Heres my comparison between Rice and McCoy. What I found are alot of similar things:

Both schedules I consider challenging so I cant use that to take one over the other.

Both are the RB1 by far on their team and the number 2 guy is either not known or unproven.

Both are the goalline back

Both have better than average Olines, but I do think the loss of Peters will hurt McCoy.

Both are very young. 25 for Rice, 23 for McCoy. Rice has had alot of touches the past few years but I would be really shocked if we saw any decline yet.

the differences:

Rice has alot more data behind him and what I see is the model of consistency. Since 2009, hes played every game and gotten over 2000 combined yardage 2 out of three years.

Shady has had 1 great year and 1 solid year. hes not sniffed 2000 combined yards but he does get more tds. he has 29 TDs his first 3 seasons. Rice has 29 TDs in 4 seasons.

Rice has only been the goaline guy one season so his tds will most likely continue to look like last year which was 15. McCoy had 20.

So, I conclude Rice is more consistent and more likely of the these two RB to duplicate his production from last season. This kind of hurts as an eagles fan cause I wanted McCoy on my team, but Rice is slightly better imo. Not to mention, its hard for me to see McCoy scoring that amount of TDs again. Vick has got to score more than 1 rush td this year.

Your thoughts? :banned:

as a side note I thought about bucking the trend and taking Rodgers at 2 because QBs go so fast in our league. but I think if I really want a good QB early the chances of one falling to round 2-3 are pretty good. No way a RB like foster, rice, or McCoy is available anywhere else. Discussion about the picks at the 2/3 turn is kind of a waste of time since it will be different for everybody, but I am probably going some kind combo of WR/QB there.

i would take rice or rodgers

depends on scoring and i didnt read anything you wrote

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think you are fine with either...doing a "multi-Board" draft right now and thus far this is where they have gone (PPR):

1) Foster, Rice, McCoy

2) Foster, Rice, McCoy

3) Rice, McCoy, Foster

4) Rice, Foster, McCoy

5) Rice (waiting on next picks)

6) Foster, McCoy, Rice

Thus far, Rice has been picked first 3 times, as has Foster. With that said, McCoy has gone second twice, which means he has leap-frogged one of those two, two out of five times thus far. In the end, I think you are splitting hairs...while Rice has "done it before", McCoy really has performed well for two years now and had 78 receptions a couple of years ago, so the potential is there to match Rice on that front.

Seriously thinking about taking a QB here. Our league is 6 pts for all TDs, and if you take a look at all the "stud" RBs from last year pre-draft, not a lot of them panned out. I am aware that Cam Newton was a QB that was taken late in drafts last year, and he performed at a high level, but there aren't that many QBs that can give you the scoring of a Rodgers, Brees and Brady. I think I would rather grab one of these 3 and load up on RBs and WRs later in the draft. There are always RBs and WRs that surprise during the year.

Seriously thinking about taking a QB here. Our league is 6 pts for all TDs, and if you take a look at all the "stud" RBs from last year pre-draft, not a lot of them panned out. I am aware that Cam Newton was a QB that was taken late in drafts last year, and he performed at a high level, but there aren't that many QBs that can give you the scoring of a Rodgers, Brees and Brady. I think I would rather grab one of these 3 and load up on RBs and WRs later in the draft. There are always RBs and WRs that surprise during the year.
If you're going to do that (and I see the logic), try to trade down so you end up with your QB and some change as well.

i am looking at WR/WR unless a top 5 QB falls, which is not likely. Would love to get Fitz/Marshall/Roddy White here...

Rice or McCoy. I can see pick 8 or 12 but 2? Really?
flip a coin.#2 pick is a total non issue rnd 1.
yeah yeah, I was agreeing with you guys before I drew the #2 slot yesterday. So now that I'm actually thinking about who I want I can't decide. Mainly in the chance that Foster slips. There is pretty much a 50/50 chance the guy at 1 picks McCoy or Rogers. Is Foster really the call over Rice?

WR/WR would be great too but I'm just concerned about the lack of quality RBs after the 3rd round. If I can get an AJ Green with 2.11, looking at ADP Steven Jackson or Ryan Mathews would be available at 3.2. For my RB2 I'd feel better about Jackson and a WR like Brandon Lloyd than Roddy and a lesser RB.

WR/WR would be great too but I'm just concerned about the lack of quality RBs after the 3rd round. If I can get an AJ Green with 2.11, looking at ADP Steven Jackson or Ryan Mathews would be available at 3.2. For my RB2 I'd feel better about Jackson and a WR like Brandon Lloyd than Roddy and a lesser RB.
I feel pretty good about the rbs in the 4/5 to go wr/wr. looking for Mcgahee, Bush, Gore in that order. usually one of them is there in mocks. go with what you feel comfortable with

Rice or McCoy. I can see pick 8 or 12 but 2? Really?
flip a coin.#2 pick is a total non issue rnd 1.
yeah yeah, I was agreeing with you guys before I drew the #2 slot yesterday. So now that I'm actually thinking about who I want I can't decide. Mainly in the chance that Foster slips. There is pretty much a 50/50 chance the guy at 1 picks McCoy or Rogers. Is Foster really the call over Rice?
cant go wrong really. I am sure the guy in front of me is going with rodgers leaving me the choice and I am going foster. his PPG and schedule are unmatched. Rice is a very close second...

In PPR I think you gotta go Rice/Mccoy and 2nd and 3rd round follow up with 2 potential 100 catch guys. Marshall, Andre, Welker are my main targets. Cruz, Jennings the next two probably.

In PPR I think you gotta go Rice/Mccoy and 2nd and 3rd round follow up with 2 100 catch guys. Marshall, Andre, Welker are my main targets. Cruz, Jennings also possible.
what about non ppr?
I dunno I don't play any non ppr. Go for touchdowns because non ppr is basically touchdown leagues. Get a QB, they score like triple anyone else. In fat at #2 I wouldn't take a RB I would take Rogers or Brady.

Just got #2 and tds are all 7pts. Some people in my league would take Rodgers at 1. If that happens, can't go wrong with a Rb...but man if it doesn't I'm tempted to go Rodgers. Need to mock it out more as I have not concentrated much on the two hole.

Just got #2 and tds are all 7pts. Some people in my league would take Rodgers at 1. If that happens, can't go wrong with a Rb...but man if it doesn't I'm tempted to go Rodgers. Need to mock it out more as I have not concentrated much on the two hole.
Just remember that trends do not usually hold from year to year...qbs were hot last year, now about 6 or 7 of them will go in the top 20.

Just remember that trends do not usually hold from year to year...qbs were hot last year, now about 6 or 7 of them will go in the top 20.
Definitely aware. Pretty sure Rodgers was a top 5 pick last year...and Brees was 1st round as well. I was lucky enough to get Stafford at a ridiculous spot and I don't forsee anything like that this year. I think if these early picks go RB in the 1st, you have to grab your QB near the 4/5 corner (all TDs worth 6 or 7, 12 team leagues). Barring you get great value near the 2/3 corner.

if anyone cares, had this draft last night from the 2 in a 12 team redraft. .5 PPR, all tds 6 pts

QB Matt ryan, Jake Locker

RB Foster, Mike Turner, Ingram, M. Bush, Leshore

WR AJ Green, Marshall, Wayne, N. Washington, J. Baldwin

TE Olsen

DEF Packers

K Bryant

i thought I did pretty well. Got Ryan in the fifth....

if anyone cares, had this draft last night from the 2 in a 12 team redraft. .5 PPR, all tds 6 ptsQB Matt ryan, Jake LockerRB Foster, Mike Turner, Ingram, M. Bush, LeshoreWR AJ Green, Marshall, Wayne, N. Washington, J. BaldwinTE OlsenDEF PackersK Bryanti thought I did pretty well. Got Ryan in the fifth....
Yeah, that team looks good. No way Ryan will last that long in our league's draft. I think it all boils down to the drafting strategy of your league mates. The guys in mine tend to draft QBs early, that's why I think I will go QB with the 2nd pick. I can see eight or nine QBs drafted before my turn in the second. I would love to get Ryan coming back in the second round, but I don't think it's an option for me. The advantage of the QBs going early is that it's possible for some RBs and WRs that I like to slide back to me.

if anyone cares, had this draft last night from the 2 in a 12 team redraft. .5 PPR, all tds 6 ptsQB Matt ryan, Jake LockerRB Foster, Mike Turner, Ingram, M. Bush, LeshoreWR AJ Green, Marshall, Wayne, N. Washington, J. BaldwinTE OlsenDEF PackersK Bryanti thought I did pretty well. Got Ryan in the fifth....
Yeah, that team looks good. No way Ryan will last that long in our league's draft. I think it all boils down to the drafting strategy of your league mates. The guys in mine tend to draft QBs early, that's why I think I will go QB with the 2nd pick. I can see eight or nine QBs drafted before my turn in the second. I would love to get Ryan coming back in the second round, but I don't think it's an option for me. The advantage of the QBs going early is that it's possible for some RBs and WRs that I like to slide back to me.
Others blindly taking QBs is not a reason to join the herd.With 9 QBs off the board you are looking at a team of1.2 Foster2.11 Julio Jones or AJ3.2 Murray/MDJ/Charles4.11 Hernadez/Gates5.2 Colsten/Thomas6.11 Wayne/Brown/T.Smith7.2 BigBen/Romo/Manning8.11 RG3/Cutler

Definitely aware. Pretty sure Rodgers was a top 5 pick last year...and Brees was 1st round as well. I was lucky enough to get Stafford at a ridiculous spot and I don't forsee anything like that this year. I think if these early picks go RB in the 1st, you have to grab your QB near the 4/5 corner (all TDs worth 6 or 7, 12 team leagues). Barring you get great value near the 2/3 corner.
Actually you can wait on QB until everyone has one or the 6/7 turn.Currently the QBs rated 10-12 are Romo, Manning, and BigBen. I'm more than happy to contest this season with any of them.After that you have RG3 and Cutler. Either would make a great addition to a QBBC. Culter would be a must start against any of his division foes. RG3 may turn out to be the next Cam Newton.

just completed mine from the 2nd position in a 12 man 1 pt ppr

foster

mcfadden

jimmy graham

brandon marshall

matt ryan

steve smith car

steve johnson

doug martin

pierre garcon

kenny britt

donald brown

peyton hillis

greg little

gresham

pat def

fitz

jacquizz rodgers

danny amendola

rashad jennings

Foster or Rice is what I would do as well. McCoy's TD totals last year are probably not sustainable. You're on the right track...

In my draft, surprisingly Rogers went at #1. I took Foster, if he had gone at #1 it would have been Rice.

What I did notice was that I should have added 2 more RBs at the 2/3 turn. This is a 10 team league but I went with a WR and RB there (AP and Marshall). Not having done that I should have reached for a RB (like Bradshaw, Gore, BGE or Turner)at the 4/5 turn where instead I took Nicks and Dez. So WRs look good but stuck with J. Stewart as #3 RB (we don't have a flex and only start 2).

I did get M. Ryan in the 7th.

So yeah, WRs are deep. Much better off waiting

Seem to like my mocks with Foster or Rice more than Rodgers. Picks 23 and 26 is where I'm struggling most as I can't separate the players, especially the WRs. The top 2 TEs will not be there. In my league, I'm pretty sure 5 QBs will be gone by then, not that I want one there...but it almost assures I won't be seeing Ryan in the 4th. Could be staring at Green, Marshall, White, Jennings and Jordy...take two of them and get out of this corner? I'm rather scared of SJax, Charles, and Richardson...but they would be solid RB2's I suppose.

this team is nearly identical to mine from the 2 spot just swap foster for rice and Turner for Gates. Decided to wait to 7th and grab Hillis as rb2 so will see how it pans out. Still got spiller, Ingram, and pt for depth.

Seem to like my mocks with Foster or Rice more than Rodgers. Picks 23 and 26 is where I'm struggling most as I can't separate the players, especially the WRs. The top 2 TEs will not be there. In my league, I'm pretty sure 5 QBs will be gone by then, not that I want one there...but it almost assures I won't be seeing Ryan in the 4th. Could be staring at Green, Marshall, White, Jennings and Jordy...take two of them and get out of this corner? I'm rather scared of SJax, Charles, and Richardson...but they would be solid RB2's I suppose.
reach for the RBs. Your choices will be even worse at the 4/5 turn. Unless you like Stewart and D.Will :unsure:

What RB's are you guys hoping are there in the 2nd and which WR's do you prefer out of the group expected to be there?

In PPR I think I want to grab two WR back to back, and hope for a Bradhshaw or something in the 4th. The whole RB tier is a cluster of risk, is there really a big difference in Charles/Richardson and Bush/Bradshaw? The WR tier is massive and thats my problem is separating how I order them

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshall

Roddy White

Greg Jennings

Wes Welker

Hakeem Nicks

I think in that order. I assume Julio will be gone. I don't want Cruz or Jordy, though they are in the mix too. I just wouldn't take either over their teammate Nicks/Jennings so I doubt I would get them.

In PPR I think I want to grab two WR back to back, and hope for a Bradhshaw or something in the 4th. The whole RB tier is a cluster of risk, is there really a big difference in Charles/Richardson and Bush/Bradshaw? The WR tier is massive and thats my problem is separating how I order themAndre JohnsonBrandon MarshallRoddy WhiteGreg JenningsWes WelkerHakeem NicksI think in that order. I assume Julio will be gone. I don't want Cruz or Jordy, though they are in the mix too. I just wouldn't take either over their teammate Nicks/Jennings so I doubt I would get them.
marshallwhiteAJjenningsnickswelker

Kinda crazy results...didn't expect what happened in the 2nd/3rd.

Rice

Fitzgerald

Newton

Gates

Reggie Bush

Hillis

Don Brown

Boldin

Heyward-Bey

Fred Davis

Cobb

Dalton

Jon Baldwin

Russell Wilson

Matt Bryant

Burleson

Seattle

Arizona

Dawson

Dwyer

You must have 3/5/6/2/2/2 position-wise on the roster. Only 10 moves per year.

I'm pleased....but knowing I could have had Roddy/Gates/Ryan over Newton/Gates/Bush kinda sucks. Or even instead of Roddy...Marshall or Jordy.

Users who are viewing this thread