What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy Helu (1 Viewer)

Zimm

Footballguy
I don't think one player besides Kenny Britt has more question marks of value on him more then Helu does. Dynasty value for Helu at a high point some list him in the top 10 for PPR dynasty and others drop him well into the 30's. I hear the Mike Shanahan argument and the puff pieces of rotoworld and PFT and varies other reports of Hightower to be the lead back with a clear RBBC approach.

I for one would like to Look at the Shanahan theory with a statistical chart of his top two RB's each year since starting in Denver in 1995. Terrell Davis dominating the first few seasons of Shanahan's tenure until 1999, Davis tore the ACL and MCL of his right knee while trying to make a tackle on an interception thrown against the New York Jets, during the fourth game of the season. This injury kept him out for the remainder of the year.

After the Davis years, Shanahan went with a lead back role with several nobody RB's coming out of no where to lead the team in rushing and put up solid RB2 numbers until in the 2nd round of the 2002 NFL draft, and dominated his 2002 and 2003 seasons in Denver, but before the 2004 season was traded to Washington.

As for the rest of the years with Fullbacks and average talent at RB and still managing to put up solid numbers in a fantasy aspect for the most part, It seems Shanahan has only ever had two complete RB's and Scat back with a TD vulture for the goalline and short yardage situations. So with all of that is said with the Shanahan theory and with the breakout of Roy Helu in the 2011 season....Are you buying or Selling?

1995:

T.Davis - 237 1117 4.7 7

A.Craver - 73 333 4.6 5

1996:

T.Davis - 345 1538 4.5 13

V.Hebron - 49 262 5.3 0

1997:

T.Davis - 369 1750 4.7 15

V.Hebron - 49 222 4.5 1

1998:

T.Davis - 392 2008 5.1 21

D.Loville - 53 161 3.0 2

1999:

O.Gary - 276 1159 4.2 7

T.Davis - 67 211 3.1 2

2000:

M.Anderson - 297 1487 5.0 15

T.Davis - 78 282 3.6 2

2001:

T.Davis - 167 701 4.2 0

M.Anderson - 175 678 3.9 4

2002:

C.Portis - 273 1508 5.5 15

M.Anderson - 84 386 4.6 2

2003:

C.Portis - 290 1591 5.5 14

Q.Griffin - 94 345 3.7 0

2004:

R.Droughns - 275 1240 4.5 6

T.Bell - 75 396 5.3 3

2005:

M.Anderson - 239 1014 4.2 12

T.Bell - 173 921 5.3 8

2006:

T.Bell - 233 1025 4.4 2

M.Bell - 157 677 4.3 8

2007:

S.Young - 140 729 5.2 1

T.Henery - 167 691 4.1 4

2008:

P.Hillis - 68 343 5.0 5

M.Pittman - 76 320 4.2 4

S.Young - 61 303 5.0 1

T.Bell - 44 249 5.7 2

2010:

R.Torian - 164 742 4.5 4

K.Williams - 65 261 4.0 3

2011:

R.Helu - 151 640 4.2 2

E.Royster - 56 328 5.9 0

T.Hightower - 84 321 3.8 1 (Missed Weeks 8-17)

Helu blog

Last edited by a moderator:
See? Trying to sort through stuff like this is exactly why I stay away from Shanny's backfield. There is only one way this ends...INSANITY!

RUN!! Trade him and keep your mind in tact! WHILE YOU STILL CAN!! GET OUT!!!!

In the last 4 years, two with Washington and two with Denver, are the only years that he has never produced a RB1 or RB2. Helu was a borderline RB2 in PPR last season.

agreed, if Helu was on another team, sure. But drafting Helu means Shanny will play matchups and wildly screw fantasy owners... as usual.

It probably depends on what you can get for Helu. I don't own him on any dynasty teams but my biggest concern if I was a Helu owner was that the only two guys that look to be guys you could count on year in and year out were Davis and Portis who were both pretty talented RBs. It seems that marginal RB can put up good numbers in the Shanny system but it is a crap shoot on who will get the touches and I don't see Helu as talented enough to be thought of as a guy you can count on season after season.

It probably depends on what you can get for Helu. I don't own him on any dynasty teams but my biggest concern if I was a Helu owner was that the only two guys that look to be guys you could count on year in and year out were Davis and Portis who were both pretty talented RBs. It seems that marginal RB can put up good numbers in the Shanny system but it is a crap shoot on who will get the touches and I don't see Helu as talented enough to be thought of as a guy you can count on season after season.
As was stated earlier, Helu's dynasty value is all over the map. Find the league member (or two) whom you think values Helu closer to top 10 than top 30, and see what you can get. Personally, the Washington situation is too muddled right now for me to draft him highly, so I would sell. If you know of an owner or two who covets Helu, start a trade dialouge.

Helu's value, moreso even than most, really depends on what you think of him as a player talent-wise (duh I guess). Shanahan has been a fantasy owner's nightmare recently, but he's also proven that he WILL ride one RB if he has a guy that is good enough to grab hold of the job. TD, Gary, Portis, and Anderson all had excellent years under Shanahan with no hint of RBBC, and only Portis arrived with any fanfare or a large investment (high pick) by the team. If you think Helu is that guy, then Mike Shanahan really shouldn't deter you, particularly now that he has a QB who looks like a natural fantastic fit for his WCO.

My opinion is that Helu is just average, so I'll be staying far away, but it's not because of Mike Shanahan.

ProFootballWeekly.com "hears" the Redskins may favor Tim Hightower as their lead back, and could limit Roy Helu to 10-15 touches per week because of concerns about his durability.

It's no secret both the Redskins coaching staff and Washington media love Hightower, but we'd still put our money on Helu getting more touches and making a bigger fantasy impact. Hightower (ACL surgery) has yet to be cleared for team drills. He'll have to be 100 percent to begin camp atop the depth chart. Jun 25 - 4:50 PM

ProFootballWeekly.com "hears" the Redskins may favor Tim Hightower as their lead back, and could limit Roy Helu to 10-15 touches per week because of concerns about his durability.

It's no secret both the Redskins coaching staff and Washington media love Hightower, but we'd still put our money on Helu getting more touches and making a bigger fantasy impact. Hightower (ACL surgery) has yet to be cleared for team drills. He'll have to be 100 percent to begin camp atop the depth chart. Jun 25 - 4:50 PM
The keyword is "hears"...I really think Helu is a perfect fit for Shanny's offense as the guy to carry the load and Hightower to come in as the 2nd RB. I don't buy into most the off-season puffing of players by media during the long and boring part of the off-season and Hightower is coming off a major injury that could limit him for several weeks into the season (He's no ADP).

If i thought Hightower was the man i think they would have signed him earlier in the off-season and would have given him more then a 1 year deal. After rushing for 321 yards in 5 starts i clearly think Helu has an edge coming into the 2013 season with that said i will post my own player predictions for them both below:

Roy Helu - 213 Carries - 1150 yards - 5 TD. 57 catches 469 yards 1 TD

Tim Hightower - 94 Carries - 376 yards - 7 TD. 22 catches 133 yards 0 TD

I would just keep an open mind until you get thru some of camp, there have been reports that Hightower could still end up the guy, certainly he will have a role. I think Helu, Royster, and Hightower will all have different weeks where they lead the team in rushing or most points for a RB that week. It could be a fluid situation.

Question, who is an RB of similar mid range value that you'd target, trade instead of Helu??

J Best?

McCluster?

MBush

Fannin

ingram?

Hardesty?

Blount?

Determine the value and go get good players. Helu is decent. Consistent? Meh, I would rather have guys less productive but more consistent perhaps.

Question, who is an RB of similar mid range value that you'd target, trade instead of Helu??J Best? McCluster?MBushFanniningram?Hardesty?Blount?Determine the value and go get good players. Helu is decent. Consistent? Meh, I would rather have guys less productive but more consistent perhaps.
not sure where you're getting those names from(Mccluster, fannin, hardesty and blount? seriously?). helu's dynasty ADP is near SJax, Spiller, Bradshaw, and Ingram.

4 things happen when you own a Shanahan running back, and only one of them is a good thing.

1. You own a Shanahan back and you start him every week and end up pulling all your hair out, already bald, you will probably start working on leg and chest hair.

2. You own two of the Shanahan backs and you almost feel obligated to start one as your running back, and one at a flex spot, just so you can get the points of one regular back. To make matters worse there is a third back in this version of RBBC by Shanahan, better hope one of your guys is the hot hand.

3. You own all three of the Shanahan backs, so not only are you taking up three rosters spots, but you have to ask your magic 8 ball every week who to start, and hope it is right. Lets be honest here Shanahan's OC would trade all his Redskin running backs because not even he knows who will get the carries from week to week.

4. You own the best Shanahan back and before he loses value you trade him and get fair market value.

Helu is easily the most talented back on the Redskins roster. He showed strong running, good hands and his burst thru the hole is up there with up there with the top backs. As others have said, he's probably in the best situation he could be in. The downside is that Royster, and to some extent Hightower(talk of him is overblown) are also well suited for this system. Royster doesn't have the jets that Helu has but he has enough one cut and go talent to take away some carries. I think Helu is the kind of guy to gamble on this year.

'clwn_posse said:
Helu is easily the most talented back on the Redskins roster. He showed strong running, good hands and his burst thru the hole is up there with up there with the top backs. As others have said, he's probably in the best situation he could be in. The downside is that Royster, and to some extent Hightower(talk of him is overblown) are also well suited for this system. Royster doesn't have the jets that Helu has but he has enough one cut and go talent to take away some carries. I think Helu is the kind of guy to gamble on this year.
I agree with almost everything you said excepT THE downside isn't those guys as much as it is Helu's durability. If he can stay healthy then he can be close to top 10 IMO. The problem is that it is a big If

'Chazzhawk said:
4 things happen when you own a Shanahan running back, and only one of them is a good thing.

1. You own a Shanahan back and you start him every week and end up pulling all your hair out, already bald, you will probably start working on leg and chest hair.

2. You own two of the Shanahan backs and you almost feel obligated to start one as your running back, and one at a flex spot, just so you can get the points of one regular back. To make matters worse there is a third back in this version of RBBC by Shanahan, better hope one of your guys is the hot hand.

3. You own all three of the Shanahan backs, so not only are you taking up three rosters spots, but you have to ask your magic 8 ball every week who to start, and hope it is right. Lets be honest here Shanahan's OC would trade all his Redskin running backs because not even he knows who will get the carries from week to week.

4. You own the best Shanahan back and before he loses value you trade him and get fair market value.
2 or 3 weeks of #4 is all I need out of Hightower. I figured it couldn't hurt to take that gamble on a WW pickup for the kind of payoff I might get out of it.Shanahan doesn't care all too much about the RBs statistics/abilities. It's more about the system with him, and whatever his system is, it's obviously a challenge for RBs to stay healthy and effective for an entire season under him. People talking about how this RB or that RB better fits because of this or that ability are over-analyzing it. I think he just rides those RBs rough enough to get good production out of whomever happens to be healthy that week. I don't think he knows what to do when he has more than one healthy back available. Probably flips a coin, because it doesn't really matter to him who's in there.

See? Trying to sort through stuff like this is exactly why I stay away from Shanny's backfield. There is only one way this ends...INSANITY! RUN!! Trade him and keep your mind in tact! WHILE YOU STILL CAN!! GET OUT!!!!
That depends on how how much you rely on him. If you get him cheap enough it may be worth a RB 3 or 4.
'Chazzhawk said:
4 things happen when you own a Shanahan running back, and only one of them is a good thing.1. You own a Shanahan back and you start him every week and end up pulling all your hair out, already bald, you will probably start working on leg and chest hair. 2. You own two of the Shanahan backs and you almost feel obligated to start one as your running back, and one at a flex spot, just so you can get the points of one regular back. To make matters worse there is a third back in this version of RBBC by Shanahan, better hope one of your guys is the hot hand.3. You own all three of the Shanahan backs, so not only are you taking up three rosters spots, but you have to ask your magic 8 ball every week who to start, and hope it is right. Lets be honest here Shanahan's OC would trade all his Redskin running backs because not even he knows who will get the carries from week to week.4. You own the best Shanahan back and before he loses value you trade him and get fair market value.
Not true with T Davis or Portis but is Helu that talented?

See? Trying to sort through stuff like this is exactly why I stay away from Shanny's backfield. There is only one way this ends...INSANITY! RUN!! Trade him and keep your mind in tact! WHILE YOU STILL CAN!! GET OUT!!!!
That depends on how how much you rely on him. If you get him cheap enough it may be worth a RB 3 or 4.
'Chazzhawk said:
4 things happen when you own a Shanahan running back, and only one of them is a good thing.1. You own a Shanahan back and you start him every week and end up pulling all your hair out, already bald, you will probably start working on leg and chest hair. 2. You own two of the Shanahan backs and you almost feel obligated to start one as your running back, and one at a flex spot, just so you can get the points of one regular back. To make matters worse there is a third back in this version of RBBC by Shanahan, better hope one of your guys is the hot hand.3. You own all three of the Shanahan backs, so not only are you taking up three rosters spots, but you have to ask your magic 8 ball every week who to start, and hope it is right. Lets be honest here Shanahan's OC would trade all his Redskin running backs because not even he knows who will get the carries from week to week.4. You own the best Shanahan back and before he loses value you trade him and get fair market value.
Not true with T Davis or Portis but is Helu that talented?
Davis was the man for 4 years got hurt and then he was in the RBBC the only other time he was semi healthy. Portis was the man for 2 years, and they traded him, why because Shanahan thought he could make any back the man and they went out and got Champ Bailey for him. I will give you Davis, it was sad he got hurt, he was very very good. Portis's first 2 years were 2 of the best years by a rookie running back ever. I didn't see the Lions go out and trade Barry Sanders after 2 years, the Cowboys with Smith, the Chargers with L.T. and the list could go on forever. It just adds to the insanity of Shanahan.

People talk about helu like he was a sure fire first round pick last year. He wasn't. He was a second round draft choice who had a few weeks of good production down the stretch for a crappy team. He wasn't the starter when they thought they had a chance early in the season, and he isn't as good as hightower in pass protection, which isn't a problem when you've got sexy rexy back there, but becomes a big issue when you spend three firsts and a second to get your franchise guy. The fact that they are talking about helu getting 10 to 15 touches a game is a nod to the talent they think he has running the ball, that they're willing to bring him in even if he's not their best pass blocker. That's not a low end estimate. The only way he gets more carries on a consistent basis is if there's an injury.

Shanny wants a healthy hightower to win the job. He likes the guy because he can run between the tackles and still play like a third down back. That's what he wants is a complete running back, more than a slightly better pure runner.

Davis was the man for 4 years got hurt and then he was in the RBBC the only other time he was semi healthy. Portis was the man for 2 years, and they traded him, why because Shanahan thought he could make any back the man and they went out and got Champ Bailey for him. I will give you Davis, it was sad he got hurt, he was very very good. Portis's first 2 years were 2 of the best years by a rookie running back ever. I didn't see the Lions go out and trade Barry Sanders after 2 years, the Cowboys with Smith, the Chargers with L.T. and the list could go on forever. It just adds to the insanity of Shanahan.
This is an absurdly bad post. In the two years after trading Portis, Denver finished 4th and 2nd in the NFL in rushing while making the playoffs twice and the AFCCG after the 2005 season. And oh yeah, they got a guy named Champ Bailey in the Portis trade, and HOF-level shutdown corner >>>>>>>>>> Pro Bowl-level RB. Insanity?!? Try absolute brilliance (at least as far as that trade goes). Every decent GM in the NFL trades Portis for Champ 100 times out of 100.

With a mobile QB like Griffin, I don't think having a RB who excels at blocking is that critical. Could see them designing misdirection plays, similar to a few that Carolina used to spring D Williams for long runs. Helu is way more explosive than Hightower, who wasn't overly athletic before his injury. Helu will probably finish around RB #15 in PPR. Which is around where his trade value currently is, making him a hold. Although could see some of his owners wanting to sell, just based on Shanahan's reputation.

Helu durability issues shouldn't be much of a question because most rookies do get nicked up. Helu battled minor injuries in college and had a minor ankle problem as a rookie. Helu even with missing time/RBBC early was able to make it onto the PFW All-Rookie team. As a flex or RB2 i think Helu would be a nice fit.

I would easily take Helu over guys like Best,Ingram,Wells,R.Williams,Starks,Blount,Bradshaw,The Bushes, If i think i would try to upgrade on Helu i would try to go after Martin,Stewart,Murray,Charles,Forte but those players clearly have more value so you would have to make a package deal of more then just Helu to get the job done. So the best bet is to sit on Helu and hope for the best.

Sell me on him, considering he is your RB15 in dynasty.
Well, you didn't do much to sell me on him. In fact, I see you've now got him at RB24. What has changed? And do you remain rosy as to his outlook? Thanks.

Helu hasn't proven durable in Shanny's one cut and go down hill scheme. His Achilles is sore and has had him out lately.

The Roy you want (for now) in this offense is Roy-ster. As in Evan. He's been durable, can catch and block and despite lack of speed shows nice vision and strength in his running. Kinda reminds me of a guy the skins had a few years ago... Ladell Betts, but with upside - Royster's still developing. 2nd year in the league. Back up with upside and easy cuttability from your roster since he'll likely come cheap. Shanahanigans.

With a mobile QB like Griffin, I don't think having a RB who excels at blocking is that critical. Could see them designing misdirection plays, similar to a few that Carolina used to spring D Williams for long runs. Helu is way more explosive than Hightower, who wasn't overly athletic before his injury. Helu will probably finish around RB #15 in PPR. Which is around where his trade value currently is, making him a hold. Although could see some of his owners wanting to sell, just based on Shanahan's reputation.
You don't trade the farm for a franchise QB to run. You get a franchise QB to THROW, meaning you need a protected QB. The running is just a dangerous wrinkle to add in as gravy. A RB that pass-protects is STILL important; its just overlloked in places like these because we haven't devised a way to count FF points for it. Don't be fooled.

People talk about helu like he was a sure fire first round pick last year. He wasn't. He was a second round draft choice who had a few weeks of good production down the stretch for a crappy team. He wasn't the starter when they thought they had a chance early in the season, and he isn't as good as hightower in pass protection, which isn't a problem when you've got sexy rexy back there, but becomes a big issue when you spend three firsts and a second to get your franchise guy. The fact that they are talking about helu getting 10 to 15 touches a game is a nod to the talent they think he has running the ball, that they're willing to bring him in even if he's not their best pass blocker. That's not a low end estimate. The only way he gets more carries on a consistent basis is if there's an injury. Shanny wants a healthy hightower to win the job. He likes the guy because he can run between the tackles and still play like a third down back. That's what he wants is a complete running back, more than a slightly better pure runner.
i'm buying that prospective. As an owner of a few of the Denver backs during the good years, a common theme was a RB who could excel in all the critical areas.

In the last 4 years, two with Washington and two with Denver, are the only years that he has never produced a RB1 or RB2. Helu was a borderline RB2 in PPR last season.
4 years is a long stretch of PATTERN. Sometimes the ship sails.

From a week ago:

As for Helu, it’s unclear when the running back got hurt. Helu rushed for four times on Thursday for 17 yards and practiced on Saturday.

“He’s had that before,” Coach Mike Shanahan said. “Hopefully it’s not too serious so we can get him back to normal.” Shanahan said the Achilles’ injury is actually a recurring issue and hinted that it could have been caused by Helu not stretching enough. “A guy like him has to make sure he’s loose before he practices because you don’t want him to pull anything,” Shanahan said of Helu, who missed two games last season due to knee and toe injuries. “He’s had a couple strains in the groin and hamstring area, and tendinitis right there.”
link

Local word now is both feet.
Per Rotoworld:
Roy Helu remains sidelined at Redskins camp with soreness in both Achilles' tendons.It was concern enough when Helu was dealing with tendinitis in one Achilles', and now it's looking less and less likely he takes another preseason rep. The coaching staff's continued praise of Evan Royster and Alfred Morris is beginning to make a lot more sense. It's also becoming more clear Helu could have a hard time carving out a meaningful early-season role.

Per Rotoworld:
Roy Helu remains sidelined at Redskins camp with soreness in both Achilles' tendons.It was concern enough when Helu was dealing with tendinitis in one Achilles', and now it's looking less and less likely he takes another preseason rep. The coaching staff's continued praise of Evan Royster and Alfred Morris is beginning to make a lot more sense. It's also becoming more clear Helu could have a hard time carving out a meaningful early-season role.
I think the value question is an interesting one now given what Shanny has said, not to mention Shanny's overall system making it difficult to start a WAS RB. So, IN DYNASTY, would you rather have Helu or guys likeLamar MillerKendall HunterLaMichael JamesJacquizz RogersJust to name a few guys here. I mean where do we rank Helu at this point and if you were looking at a 1-1 trade at RB what is his rough equivalent? Curious what people think.I mean are people lucky to get Bilal Powell for him yet? LOL

Per Rotoworld:
I think the value question is an interesting one now given what Shanny has said, not to mention Shanny's overall system making it difficult to start a WAS RB. So, IN DYNASTY, would you rather have Helu or guys likeLamar MillerKendall HunterLaMichael JamesJacquizz RogersJust to name a few guys here. I mean where do we rank Helu at this point and if you were looking at a 1-1 trade at RB what is his rough equivalent? Curious what people think.I mean are people lucky to get Bilal Powell for him yet? LOL
I would rather have a 5 dollar foot long and a bag of chips than Helu on my fantasy team, and I HATE Subway

Per Rotoworld:
I would rather have a 5 dollar foot long and a bag of chips than Helu on my fantasy team, and I HATE Subway
:lmao:

What do you guys think of Helu's dynasty value now that Morris has emerged? I think he's pretty talented, IMO.

What do you guys think of Helu's dynasty value now that Morris has emerged? I think he's pretty talented, IMO.
Worth a gamble, theres value to that. The offense great for any rb, he's arguably the most talented runner on the team and backs like Morris don't last long. Last statement isn't a fact but everything about Morris reminds me of Marion Barber III.

Worth a gamble, theres value to that. The offense great for any rb, he's arguably the most talented runner on the team and backs like Morris don't last long. Last statement isn't a fact but everything about Morris reminds me of Marion Barber III.
RB's who've been injured have a pretty lousy record with Shanahan since he thinks he can get a guy like Morris in the 6th every year.

I was looking at the combine numbers and Helu is a guy who stands out in the 3 cone with the 4th best time out of all RB since the 2006 draft http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=RB number 2 in the 20 yard shuttle http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=RB with pretty solid numbers in the 40 and jumping drills as well. The main thing that seems to be lacking is strength for blocking and to run through tackles.

Now obviously he is buried and may never get an opportunity to be more than a change of pace RB, however because of this talent I think Helu is worth stashing as he could be pretty amazing if he does get a opportunity to start.

as a guy who hung onto Ben Tate for years on end hoping he'd take over for Foster, I can say that you're better off filling that RB roster spot with a guy who is at least playing and contributing consistently...waiting for the starter to get hurt is a bit much nowadays..I'd rather go after a p/t player elsewhere..

I was looking at the combine numbers and Helu is a guy who stands out in the 3 cone with the 4th best time out of all RB since the 2006 draft http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=RB number 2 in the 20 yard shuttle http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006-2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=RB with pretty solid numbers in the 40 and jumping drills as well. The main thing that seems to be lacking is strength for blocking and to run through tackles.

Now obviously he is buried and may never get an opportunity to be more than a change of pace RB, however because of this talent I think Helu is worth stashing as he could be pretty amazing if he does get a opportunity to start.
There's some risk with putting too much stock in Helu's combine numbers in that he's dealt with various leg/feet problems for the past 2 years. Turf toe, tendinitis in both Achilles and non-specifically reported knee "injuries" have plagued him at various stages of his short career, causing him to miss a game his rookie season and essentially all of last season. Maybe the most important question surrounding Helu (from a fantasy perspective) is, can he get back to full health and stay there?

While I don't think there is any concrete reason to believe he can't return to the same health and physical talent he displayed at the combine (there has even been good news on him recently) I think there is obvious risk in assuming he will. Helu has a lot working against him to be "the guy" in Washington. I agree that the talent he has displayed (both at the combine, and in his rookie performance) can lead him to great things if he gets the right opportunity, but I think it requires a league with deep rosters to make him a worthwhile stash.

Sounds like he had cartiledge damage in his toe that they couldn't find, but recently did. Wonder if he'll be back to form now and will take some snaps from Alf if there was a legit reason for his injury it makes sense. Last year at this time he was a top 20 back maybe higher on my board. I'm rooting for him because I know Roy is a good guy

as a guy who hung onto Ben Tate for years on end hoping he'd take over for Foster, I can say that you're better off filling that RB roster spot with a guy who is at least playing and contributing consistently...waiting for the starter to get hurt is a bit much nowadays..I'd rather go after a p/t player elsewhere..
I hope you weren't stupid enough to drop Ben Tate............Remember the RB that backed up to LT for 4 seasons by the name of Michael Turner ? Tate 's rookie contract expires next season and he is a free agent.......Turner II :)

So I decided to go back and watch Helu's decent games at the end of 2011.

Sun 11/27

• 11 2011 11 2011-11-27 22-355 WAS @ SEA W 23-17 23 108 4.70 1 7 54 7.71 0 1 6
    12 2011 12 2011-12-04 22-362 WAS NYJ L 19-34 23 100 4.35 1 4 42 10.50 0 1 6
    13 2011 13 2011-12-11 23-004 WAS NWE L 27-34 27 126 4.67 0 2 6 3.00 0 0 0
    14 2011 14 2011-12-18 23-011 WAS @ NYG W 23-10 23 53 2.30 0 3 16 5.33 0 0 0
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeluRo00/gamelog//

Just watched the 1st game which was week 12 against Seattle. Planning to watch the rest today.

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said rookie running backRoy Helu was injured (toe and leg) in the Giants game, but coaches didn’t realize how badly until they reviewed game tape and saw Helu’s diminished effectiveness.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/quick-hits-roy-helu-played-hurt-against-the-giants/2011/12/19/gIQAbgYz4O_blog.html

I thought Helu ran pretty well against a strong Seahawks defense. He showed some good power at times and often that was the only option the defense allowed him. I thought he seemed to be pressing a bit. The 28 yard TD run Helu hurdles one tackler then breaks another tackle before jetting to the end zone. He does get buried for a loss quite a bit but for the most part I thought he looked pretty good. A scoring opportunity was ruined by a chop block by Helu and I thought Skeletor showed a lot of composure following that.

The 1st drive against the Jets was almost all Helu. It was that way in the game against the Seahawks too, with Helu getting the ball 4 times in a row at times, then a pass to Fred Davis before going back to Helu again 3 times. This is what makes a Skeletor RB so valuable, they get tons of action, but getting the ball so frequently also causes the defense to be keying on the RB more (which helps the play action) which makes it a bit more difficult for the RB and adds further risk of injury. I thought Helu did pretty well against the Seahawks and now in this 1st drive he is doing it again against the Jets. The 1st drive of the game only had 2 out 9 plays that were not to Helu when he scores. Helu broke multiple tackles on the drive showing some good power combined with some good elusiveness. On one play 2 Jets defenders meet Helu in the backfield after a toss left. He breaks 2 tackles on the play and uses his blocking as well to turn a loss into a 3 yard gain. He breaks another tackle during the drive. I don't think he always takes the best angles to set up his blocks but he shows a lot of wiggle to pick through trash.

On the 2nd drive against the Jets Helu does some tough running mostly getting 2-4 yards but he breaks one for 22 that was pretty well blocked. Helu has a lot of speed and outran 2 pursuit angles on this play before going down. If he wouldn't have just put his head down and try to drive through the cornerbacks tackle I think he had a chance to score on that play. After this the offense stalls out and they settle for the FG. Rex Grossman gets lucky to have an interception overturned by a defensive penalty for the 2nd game in a row.

Helu loses a fumble in the 3rd quarter and despite a couple decent runs the Redskins offense pretty much sputters after the 1st couple drives. Grossman makes sure the Jets defenders get some passes too.

Against the Patriots I thought Helu showed a bit better vision in the early going for setting up his blocks than I saw from the 2 previous games. He seemed perhaps more comfortable and was doing damage up the middle more than the offtackle outside plays they had him running the 2 previous games. The game plan against the Patriots had more passing down field as well. Helu fumbles a toss from Grossman in the 3rd quarter, not sure if the toss was bad or not. Helu does get the ball back and gets back to the LOS but the play was dead because of this.

In the 2nd half the Redskins started running Royster more and he did very well running up the middle which seemed to be more what was working for them against the Pats than the runs outside. I am not sure if Helu was hurt in this game or if they switched to Royster because of the inside run calls. They still had Helu switching off with Royster but Royster had some more effective inside runs.

Not going to watch the game after these 3 as Skeletor already said they kept running Helu even though he was injured.

Helu did 2 things that hurt him in Skeletors eyes I think. He fumbled the ball and he got hurt. He did not pass the workhorse test so they shifted to Royster and then last season Morris. It may take an injury for Helu to get such an opportunity again and Royster would be in that mix as well. I think Helu looks like a more talented player than Royster but toughness in key when the coach wants to force feed his RB when he has a QB like Grossman.

According to this http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/ Helu did pretty well in pass protection allowing 2 pressures on 78 attempts in 2011.

Rex Grossman was/is really bad.

Rotoworld:

Roy Helu has undergone 'dry needling' to help loosen the muscles in his legs.

Helu has been unable to sustain health since posting 1,019 total yards as a rookie. He blames his series of lower-body injuries on tight muscles, but adds the acupuncture-like dry needling has produced "great results." If Helu's toe is healthy, he'll have a decent shot at winning the third-down job.

Source: Redskins.com

Users who are viewing this thread