What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Plastic push/pull shut off valves (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
Anyone have problems with these? I put a new kitchen faucet in and then noticed the hose coming out of one of the shut off valves is leaking. The hose looks like it is part of the valve so I have to replace the whole valve. I have not seen these types of valves in the store. I can't tell how it is attached to the pipe. Anyone take one of these off before? Or do I need to cut the pipe below the valve?

You should be able to take them off without cutting the pipe. You'll want to turn the main water off and drain the water in the basement. Get some nice metal valves as the plastic will keep having trouble. The washers in the metal will have to be replaced over time but getting a good quality valve is well worth the money.

What do these even look like? I don't believe I've ever seen one.
Here. Websit says they can be removed by turning counterclockwise. This is total bull####, as there are not threads inside ring. I ended up having to cut this thing to pieces with a Dremel to remove it, which caused my to damage the CPVC stub coming from the wall.

Here. Websit says they can be removed by turning counterclockwise. This is total bull####, as there are not threads inside ring. I ended up having to cut this thing to pieces with a Dremel to remove it, which caused my to damage the CPVC stub coming from the wall.
Nope, never seen one. Never worked with CPVC either. Just copper and pex which could be the greatest thing ever after working with copper for a few years.

Nope, never seen one. Never worked with CPVC either. Just copper and pex which could be the greatest thing ever after working with copper for a few years.
That stuff has train wreck written all over it.

I'm sure you're already all over this but just cut a whole in the drywall (if you don't have an access panel in the next room.) and replace it. Those are garbage.

You'd think. Apparently its worked fine in Europe for years and is finally making it to the states. The stuff is ridiculously easy to work with when compared to copper.

You'd think. Apparently its worked fine in Europe for years and is finally making it to the states. The stuff is ridiculously easy to work with when compared to copper.
I want to believe, but I'm not sure how different it is from poly. PVC/CPVC is the way to go imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you're already all over this but just cut a whole in the drywall (if you don't have an access panel in the next room.) and replace it. Those are garbage.
Replace what, the entire piece of pipe? I ended up gluing a 5/8"OD to 5/8"OD connector and put a few inches of new CPVC coming out to attach a new quarter turn shut off valve. But of course I dripped the PVC primer onto the vinyl floor and there's no way that's coming out. Now I have to do a vinyl patch. :wall:

Replace what, the entire piece of pipe? I ended up gluing a 5/8"OD to 5/8"OD connector and put a few inches of new CPVC coming out to attach a new quarter turn shut off valve. But of course I dripped the PVC primer onto the vinyl floor and there's no way that's coming out. Now I have to do a vinyl patch. :wall:
I'm about to really piss you off then...

You only have to use that purple primer on DRAIN pipes, not supply pipes. :D

What would the difference be?I got the yellow label CPVC adhesive. It said that it could be used without the primer, but to check local codes. So I went ahead and used it.

What would the difference be?I got the yellow label CPVC adhesive. It said that it could be used without the primer, but to check local codes. So I went ahead and used it.
You wouldn't have spilled it on your floor. It doesn't hurt, but when I was a home inspector, I could sometimes tell who did the plumbing work and if I should look for more issues.

Is it possible that these POS's can jam part of the way and not let the full flow of water in? I started having issues with my upstairs toilet not long ago where the tank started taking forever to fill, like the water was coming in at a trickle. It happened after one of the kids was opening and closing the valve repeatedly. There's no leak in the tank, it just doesn't fill up quickly anymore. You can actually hear the difference between the tank upstairs filling up and the one downstairs.

Is it possible that these POS's can jam part of the way and not let the full flow of water in? I started having issues with my upstairs toilet not long ago where the tank started taking forever to fill, like the water was coming in at a trickle. It happened after one of the kids was opening and closing the valve repeatedly. There's no leak in the tank, it just doesn't fill up quickly anymore. You can actually hear the difference between the tank upstairs filling up and the one downstairs.
These things suck so bad that anything is possible. This last one I had to replace because it was shutting off completely on its own.

Disagree. Pex is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread