What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pierre Thomas (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Per Jeff Duncan, Saints beat writer for the Times Piccayune

via Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp

now reported:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/...pierre_t_1.html

New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas, who appeared to tweak his ankle at practice Friday, was listed as limited in his participation and questionable for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay by Coach Sean Payton.

Thomas missed nine weeks with an ankle severely twisted against Atlanta in week three, but he came back with a vengeance against the Falcons last Monday accounting for just over 100 yards in offense. He suffered no visible physical setback in that game and did not appear on either the hypothetical injury report the Saints released Wednesday when they did not practice or on Thurday's report.

But Payton brusquely included Thomas at the end of his list Friday, chalking it up to the ankle and saying, "he's questionable."

Payton insisted the characterization was based on Thomas reps on practice rather than any new affliction or inflammation of an old injury. But he was visibly testy about the matter when asked.

"No, we just listed him just as it is, just less reps because of the ankle, limited," he said. When pressed he added, "no, nothing more about injuries, though. In other words, what I'm going to do anymore is just read the status and not discuss injuries."

The Saints two other principle running backs, Reggie Bush and Chris Ivory were also on the injury report although Bush (chest) and Ivory (hamstring) were both listed as probable for Tampa Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
The luster is beginning to fad quickly off this guy...Reggie Bush looks like he is made of steel compared to Thomas.

I dont think the ankle has been right even when he has played. He has not had the speed ,moves and power I am used to with Pierre. I think they sit him Sunday knowing Sean Payton and how he is cautious with injuries and knowing they need Thomas for the post season. Ivory has practiced in full this week

Personally I would sit Ivory and Thomas this game and go with Bush and Jones. The Saints need PT and Ivory healthy for the playoffs.

The luster is beginning to fad quickly off this guy...Reggie Bush looks like he is made of steel compared to Thomas.
I am beginning to long for the days of Deuce McCallister. Seriously, should the Saints go RB in next years draft? No one can stay healthy. Trade up and take Mark Ingram Mickey.

Should the title of this thread be changed? Any insiders know if Pierre Thomas really tweaked it or not?

Dodd's updated Saturday projections would seem to indicate that he thinks that Thomas is not going to play and that Ivory will get most of the carries at RB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/14491797
This is about as insider as you are going to get. I think his ankle has never been right. There are those in the camp that say this is Sean Payton's way of resting his players without backlash because it is a meaningful game. I dont buy it though, I think its hurt.http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188707

Should the title of this thread be changed? Any insiders know if Pierre Thomas really tweaked it or not?

Dodd's updated Saturday projections would seem to indicate that he thinks that Thomas is not going to play and that Ivory will get most of the carries at RB.

This is about as insider as you are going to get. I think his ankle has never been right. There are those in the camp that say this is Sean Payton's way of resting his players without backlash because it is a meaningful game. I dont buy it though, I think its hurt.http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188707
So what is it though? There is disagreement within that thread on it as well. http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=65

So what is it though? There is disagreement within that thread on it as well. http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showpos...mp;postcount=65
I would have to be a mind reader to give that answer. Part of the problem is the practice was closed to the press and Duncan did not witness PT hurt his ankle but perhaps made those conclusions. (Still speculating here)but the fact that he saw limited reps and is questionable is a fact. This is Sean Payton we are talking about after all. Just keep your options available and watch the Mort report on Sunday. If he plays get him in your lineup and downgrade Ivory.

I would have to be a mind reader to give that answer. Part of the problem is the practice was closed to the press and the original writer did not witness PT hurt his ankle but the fact that he saw limited reps and is questionable is a fact. This is Sean Payton we are talking about after all. Just keep your options available and watch the Mort report on Sunday. If he plays get him in your lineup and downgrade Ivory.
OK...thanks for your insight. Happy New Year.

You're Welcome and Happy New Year

PT is a game time decision now, missed Sat. practice.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/...back_pi_11.html

New Orleans Saints tailback Pierre Thomas didn't practice Saturday during the team's final tune-up for Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Coach Sean Payton said, "The big thing now is just keeping his weight off it and getting the treatment, and we'll see where he's at tomorrow."

Thomas, who appeared to tweak the ankle during Friday's practice, was not available for comment.

Payton said there was no change in the status of any players on the injury report. Receiver Marques Colston (knee), tight ends Jeremy Shockey (groin) and David Thomas (knee), defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove (knee) and linebacker Anthony Waters (ankle) all are listed as questionable after missing practice throughout the week.

Related topics: anthony hargrove, anthony waters, david thomas, jeremy shockey, marques colston, new orleans saints, new orleans saints vs. tampa bay buccaneers, pierre thomas

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tq...s&nid=86805

Pierre Thomas likely to play

Fox Sports' John Czarnecki believes Saints running back Pierre Thomas will be active on Sunday despite "tweaking" his troublesome ankle on Friday afternoon.

Our View: He likely will be, but now back at less than 100 percent, and with Chris Ivory set to return, he's not a recommended start in most formats. At best, he's a flex option in deeper leagues.
Still I'd wait for the Mort report before making line up decisionsEdit: PT is out for todays game.

I imagine no one but Sean Payton will know the status of the Saints RB's until he is forced by the NFL to reveal it. That is Wednesday I think. Wynn was signed yesterday so there is either going to be a player cut like Julius Jones or someone is hurt worse than we realize and is going on IR. That hurt player could be any one of the 9 Saints players on the injury report but I would say odds are stacked toward it being TE David Thomas or RB Chris Ivory but it could also be PT. Anyones guess until Payton's lips move. Loose Lips sink Ships they say.

I imagine no one but Sean Payton will know the status of the Saints RB's until he is forced by the NFL to reveal it. That is Wednesday I think. Wynn was signed yesterday so there is either going to be a player cut like Julius Jones or someone is hurt worse than we realize and is going on IR. That hurt player could be any one of the 9 Saints players on the injury report but I would say odds are stacked toward it being TE David Thomas or RB Chris Ivory but it could also be PT. Anyones guess until Payton's lips move. Loose Lips sink Ships they say.
Ivory was supposedly in a walking boot yesterday - may have something to do with the Wynn signing.

Ivory was supposedly in a walking boot yesterday - may have something to do with the Wynn signing.
:confused: Winner. Ivory to IR.

:goodposting: Winner. Ivory to IR.
What on Earth are you people in NO doing to your RBs...you could throw a Curtis Martin/Ricky Watters hybrid into the mix for one week, and the guy would come out limping...

:lmao: Winner. Ivory to IR.
What on Earth are you people in NO doing to your RBs...you could throw a Curtis Martin/Ricky Watters hybrid into the mix for one week, and the guy would come out limping...
I know huh?Look at our stable of RB on IR!Chris Ivory 6-0 222Lynell Hamilton 6-0 235PJ Hill 5-10 218Ladell Betts 5-11 224Marcus Mailei 6-0 255 (FB)Then add in the games PT and Bush have missed and its no wonder the Saints have suffered in the running game and it is no wonder Brees is getting picked more. Teams are expecting the pass.We are drafting RB High next year. High Priority! I hope PT and Bush can hold up for the rest of this season. They are all we had last year and we were 6th in rushing. But I agree, this is very frustrating when this happens just before the playoffs. :wall:

never again with a Saints RB. I just drafted Ivory yesterday in a playoff fantasy league. I knew he was hurt but didnt realize it was an IR type injury.

:goodposting: Winner. Ivory to IR.
I know huh?Look at our stable of RB on IR!Chris Ivory 6-0 222Lynell Hamilton 6-0 235PJ Hill 5-10 218Ladell Betts 5-11 224Marcus Mailei 6-0 255 (FB)Then add in the games PT and Bush have missed and its no wonder the Saints have suffered in the running game and it is no wonder Brees is getting picked more. Teams are expecting the pass.We are drafting RB High next year. High Priority! I hope PT and Bush can hold up for the rest of this season. They are all we had last year and we were 6th in rushing. But I agree, this is very frustrating when this happens just before the playoffs. :wall:
Mere speculation, but I think it has a lot to do with the type of offense. They put their RBs is space and expect them to make yards with little blocking. Teams that use similar schemes also had RB injuries. The Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Packers, Saints all run those spread offenses. IMO it opens up the RBs for a lot of clean shots...

Mere speculation, but I think it has a lot to do with the type of offense. They put their RBs is space and expect them to make yards with little blocking. Teams that use similar schemes also had RB injuries. The Colts, Chargers, Patriots, Packers, Saints all run those spread offenses. IMO it opens up the RBs for a lot of clean shots...
Well not the case with some like Ivory who was a legit bang it between the tackles guy. Hamilton is that type back as well. PT and Bush are used more in space however. Here are some recent Pierre Thomas articles for those PT owners who are even still interested in the Saints run game.

http://www.sunherald.com/2011/01/04/275164...r-playoffs.html

The New Orleans Saints have used rookie running back Chris Ivory to get to the playoffs.

Now that they’ve arrived, they’ll have to make do without him.

The Saints placed Ivory, a 6-foot, 222-pound back, on injured reserved on Tuesday. Ivory has battled injuries through much of the season but injured his foot in Sunday’s 23-13 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the Louisiana Superdome.

GERALD HERBERT/THE ASSOCIATED PRESS New Orleans Saints running back Chris Ivory has been placed on injured reserve.

The Saints (11-5) will face the Seattle Seahawks (7-9) on Saturday afternoon in the NFC wild-card round in Seattle.

The Saints brought back running back DeShawn Wynn after putting Ivory on IR. Wynn joined the team as a free agent in August and played in four games, primarily on special teams.

Wynn later joined the San Francisco 49ers’ practice squad and then made the 49ers’ active roster, playing three games on special teams before being waived in December.

Ivory led the Saints with 713 yards rushing this season.

He averaged an impressive 5.2 yards per carry and scored five touchdowns. He had one of his biggest games in the Saints’ 31-6 victory over the Bucs on Oct. 17 in Tampa, rushing for 158 yards.

The Saints lost running back Reggie Bush for nine games because of a broken fibula.

They’ve also had Pierre Thomas, last season’s leading rusher, for only a handful of games because of a lingering ankle injury.

Ivory had only four carries in Sunday’s loss to Tampa Bay before he was injured.

The Saints are expected to travel to Seattle on Thursday because of the length of the flight.

Thomas is expected to return as their lead back in that game, but Payton has revealed few specifics on player injuries.

“You work all season to get the opportunity to play in the postseason,” Payton said. “As you game plan, you can already begin to feel -- although we’re tired and it’s a short week -- that there’s a sense of urgency.”

The Saints are favored by 10 points.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2011/...is_ivory_3.html
Chris Ivory hobbled past racks of New Orleans Saints memorabilia from a back entrance, with a thick black boot on his left foot. On Tuesday afternoon, the Saints placed the 6-foot, 222-pound rookie running back on the injured reserve list, ending his season.

Michael DeMocker/The Times-Picayune

New Orleans Saints running back Chris Ivory, running over Tampa Bay's Barrett Ruud in Sunday's season finale, left the game with an injury to his left foot and will miss the playoffs.

Free agent DeShawn Wynn was signed to fill Ivory's spot. Hours later, Ivory lived a new reality.

He appeared for a two-hour autograph session Tuesday night at We Dat Locker Room, where a line of fans clad in black and gold snaked toward a small black table toward the front of the store. Ivory denied interview requests, but interaction with fans offered some insight into his mood.

He spoke in a soft tone. He posed for pictures with pursed lips. He gave short answers when fielding questions from curious fans.

"Are you recovering OK?" asked Katie Johnson, a Carriere, Miss., resident.

"Not quite yet," Ivory said.

Ivory's absence weakens an already shaky Saints rushing attack. He led the team with 716 yards on 137 carries and scored five touchdowns. He had a season-high 158 yards on 15 carries in a 31-6 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Oct. 17. He also surpassed 100 yards when he ran for 117 on 15 carries in a 34-30 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals on Dec. 5.

Ivory was sidelined last Sunday during a 23-13 loss to Tampa Bay at the Superdome. He ran for 33 yards on seven carries before leaving the game in the second quarter after a short rush. Running back Pierre Thomas missed the regular-season finale after aggravating his left ankle injury last week in practice.

That leaves veterans Reggie Bush (36 carries, 150 yards) and Julius Jones (48 carries, 193 yards) and the just-signed Wynn as the only healthy running backs. The Saints will release their first injury report today after they practice in preparation for Saturday's wild-card game at NFC West champion Seattle (7-9).

Later Tuesday night, a Picayune resident named Sue approached Ivory.

"Are you going to be able to play?" asked Sue, who declined to give her last name.

"No," Ivory said in a low, quiet voice.

"Are you serious?" the woman said.

"Not until next season," Ivory responded.

The injury delays Ivory's rise. He signed with the Saints in April as an undrafted free agent from Tiffin University. He earned a roster spot after an inspired performance in the preseason, and he played in 12 regular-season games and started four.

"It's still swollen," Ivory said to a fan about his foot. "It's still sore."

The year has not been without controversy for Ivory. He was charged with a class B felony in the state of Washington from an incident in July 2009, when he was a student at Washington State. He allegedly assaulted another student with a bottle to the head. He has denied the allegation.

Ivory's replacement on the active roster, Wynn, a 5-foot-10, 232-pound Florida product, signed with the Saints in August, and he was a special teams contributor in four games early in the season. He was waived in October before being signed to the San Francisco 49ers' practice squad. He later joined their active roster and played in four games on special teams before being waived in December.

The fourth-year player has career rushing totals of 332 yards and five touchdowns on 64 carries. He also has 122 yards on 14 receptions.

When the night was over, Ivory rose from his chair. He limped toward a back room, and a small group of women said, "Bye, Chris!"

Ivory's season was over. His new reality continues.

just read Ivory's injury might be Lisfranc
Thats not good. He has a long recovery then and the Saints will certainly draft a RB. It is a given, or they will go after a free agent like Michael Bush in the off season. My handle could be a little misleading then with two Bushes on the team. :thumbdown: The weakness is glaring at this point. That and outside linebacker are the two weaknesses on the Saints.

just read Ivory's injury might be Lisfranc
Thats not good. He has a long recovery then and the Saints will certainly draft a RB. It is a given, or they will go after a free agent like Michael Bush in the off season. My handle could be a little misleading then with two Bushes on the team. :thumbdown: The weakness is glaring at this point. That and outside linebacker are the two weaknesses on the Saints.
here's the linkhttp://www.neworleans.com/sports/saints/sa...ews/552346.html

It gets worse. The Saints now may have also placed Pierre Thomas on injured reserve per Jeff Duncan of the Times Picayune.

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp

Saints have added Joique Bell. We have officially morphed into the Packers for the playoffs.

Its official per Sean Payton news conference. PT is the 5th RB the Saints have placed on IR this season.

http://twitter.com/#!/wwltvsports

Bush is da man now. :wall:

A repeat is much more difficult now for the Saints. What timing.
Ugh, our Superbowl hopes just went down the drain. When healthy he is good, while injured he is worse then putrid. I have not seen a position player play worse football when trying to get thru an injury. I think the injuries get to his confidence more then anyone else I have seen play. If his leg is truly healed it may not be a bad thing that he is the starter. If his leg is bothering him even a bit...uh oh, look for even more plays of lost yards with him in the lineup.The kid has talent, but his confidence takes a hit a lot.

Its official per Sean Payton news conference. PT is the 5th RB the Saints have placed on IR this season.

Bush is da man now. :wall:
F U Payton. F U Pierre.They're going to lose this weekend and my fantasy playoff team is going down the drain with them.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves now. I dont think this is a huge deal against the Seahawks. Against the Bears or Atlanta it would be a big deal. I hope Bush, Bell, Wynn and Jones strap it up because its all on them now.

So both Ivory and PT done for year. Impacts to NO chances to repeat? I think they have a tough time getting past the second round and no way they make the SB. Thats not a knock on Brees and the passing attack but somewhat of a downgrade.

Bush is da man now. :)
F U Payton. F U Pierre.They're going to lose this weekend and my fantasy playoff team is going down the drain with them.
Wow, what an ignorant post!
Wha? Why? Obvious overeaction because I just lost my playoff RB and am heavily invested in the Saints for fantasy postseason is not only justified, it's expected. Ignorance has nothing to do with it.

Seriously, should the Saints go RB in next years draft?
I was schocked when they didn't take an RB in any of the last three drafts. Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister have been the only Saints' RBs drafted on the first day in the last decade. That changes in this coming draft, I wager.

Looking from a fantasy perspective, this probably cost PT a lot of money heading into a walk year. He obviously hurt his value being out for much of the year, but maybe had a chance to reinflate his value with a strong playoff.

Looks like there will be a new RB in town next year for the Saints, as I doubt Payton can trust the durability of either PT (if he returns) and Ivory.

Well for this game I expect Jones to have some motivation against the team that cut him loose, Bush will be pumped going against his college coach for the first time. Dont ask me how Wynn and Bell will do. I have another thread going on Bell

here is his youtube highlights

Hmmmmmm...not many highlights.

Who knows, maybe they catch lightning in a bottle with Bell and his fresh legs provide a bit of a spark. Not likely, but who knows...

Seriously, should the Saints go RB in next years draft?
I was schocked when they didn't take an RB in any of the last three drafts. Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister have been the only Saints' RBs drafted on the first day in the last decade. That changes in this coming draft, I wager.
I think Jason Snelling would be a great FA signing for NO. He's huge, can move the pile, and he's got hands too.

Users who are viewing this thread