What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kidney Stones (1 Viewer)

Cyclones

Footballguy
So yesterday morning I wake up around 6 am with a dull pain in my right side which quickly escalated to debilitating pain. I go to the ER where they tell me I have a kidney stone, they give some painkillers via IV. After about 5 hours I tell the doctor the pain is mostly gone so he says its made it to the bladder, should be okay, and sends me home with some Percocet. I woke up 5 minutes ago and it feels like one of my nuts is in a vice grip. Is this normal or do I need to go back to the ER?

So yesterday morning I wake up around 6 am with a dull pain in my right side which quickly escalated to debilitating pain. I go to the ER where they tell me I have a kidney stone, they give some painkillers via IV. After about 5 hours I tell the doctor the pain is mostly gone so he says its made it to the bladder, should be okay, and sends me home with some Percocet. I woke up 5 minutes ago and it feels like one of my nuts is in a vice grip. Is this normal or do I need to go back to the ER?
Both normal and brutal. When I had mine I was in the ER twice. I peed blood on and off for two weeks before it passed. At one point it got lodged and my junk twitched about every 5 seconds for 2 straight days. Miserable experience. Godspeed

Anyway to PREVENT these from occurring?? Seriously, I have heard too many horror stories about kidney stones and it is probably tops on my list for things I never want to go through. They just happen outta the blue?

Anyway to PREVENT these from occurring?? Seriously, I have heard too many horror stories about kidney stones and it is probably tops on my list for things I never want to go through. They just happen outta the blue?
Drink lots of water every day.

Worst thing ever. Yes, it's normal but that doesn't make it any better. For me it felt like everything between my nuts and my midsection was going through a meat grinder.

Sorry dude. Go to the ER, take your ipod, veg out on a Dilaudid drip all day and wait for it to pass.

Mine took a long time to come out, about 3 months. When it finally came out it got stuck in my weewee because I ran out of pee pee. I had to pick up my kids and drive home before I could muster up enough urine to force that sucker out. I carry it around with me now.

Lithotripsy scheduled on the 18th for a stone apparently too large to pass. Doc says to just deal with the pain until then. Thanks doc.

Lithotripsy scheduled on the 18th for a stone apparently too large to pass. Doc says to just deal with the pain until then. Thanks doc.
OMG. 28 hours of this has killed me. I think I'm already addicted to percocet. I can't imagine tolerating 2 weeks of this. I feel like Baron Von Raschke has applied his deathclaw to my right nut. And the pain is relentless.

OMG. 28 hours of this has killed me. I think I'm already addicted to percocet. I can't imagine tolerating 2 weeks of this. I feel like Baron Von Raschke has applied his deathclaw to my right nut. And the pain is relentless.
Luckily(yeah right) the pain has stayed in the kidney/lower back. I won't get the pleasure of the scrotal pain until the break this thing up.I am praying that part goes ok. My wife had one get stuck. On top of the severe infection they had to go in through the pee hole to yank it out. I think I would rather just give them the kidney.

Another FBG is inducted into the kidney stone fraternity :bow:
I've had a couple of friends tell me how bad it was but I never imagined it could be this bad. I'm 35 and the pain actually made me cry on a couple of occasions. Prior to yesterday I can't remember the last time I cried due to physical pain. I will be keeping a prescription of painkillers in the bullpen from now on, the 3 hours it took from the time the pain started to the time the Toradol and Dillaudid kicked in at the ER were the worst three hours of my life.

Another Kappa Sigma alum here.

Here is some advice I received before my last lithotripsy athat worked like a charm:

Before you have the lithotripsy, go buy a 30 pack of your favorite (or most tolerable) light beer. When you get home after the procedure drink the beer like water. It serves 2 purposes... numbs the pain & flushes the #@&%$@) little pieces out of your system.

I had one last November. Took two weeks to pass. I was on Vicadin the whole time, and that would only dull the pain. I was like a junkie - I ran out of Vicadin from the ER prescription after a couple days and was calling doctors trying to get in to see them ASAP. If you get a prescription from a urologist - make sure you get ALL THE REFILLS and keep them on hand. You never know when you might need them again.

I would not wish it on anybody... I tried some home remedy (drinking olive oil mixed with lemon juice). It did not work. I think you just need to wait.

Your diet can cause them to occur. I have a list somewhere at home of the foods you are not supposed to eat (I'm sure you can find something similar on Internet).

People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.High-oxalate foods—higher to lower•rhubarb•spinach•beets•swiss chard•wheat germ•soybean crackers•peanuts•okra•chocolate•black Indian tea•sweet potatoesFoods that have medium amounts of oxalate may be eaten in limited amounts.Medium-oxalate foods—higher to lower•grits•grapes•celery•green pepper•red raspberries•fruit cake•strawberries•marmalade•liver
Good thing for me, I pretty much don't eat anything on either list. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily(yeah right) the pain has stayed in the kidney/lower back. I won't get the pleasure of the scrotal pain until the break this thing up.I am praying that part goes ok. My wife had one get stuck. On top of the severe infection they had to go in through the pee hole to yank it out. I think I would rather just give them the kidney.
Yep. My doc couldn't get mine to break up so he had to go up and get it. I pissed needles for a week after that.

Joined the Stonepassers Union two years ago while on vacation. I had three of them, pain was so bad I threw up a few times before going to the ER and getting drugged up. Fortunately they were pretty small so I was only in real pain for a day or so before they passed into the bladder. The other fun part is having to pee into a strainer/coffee filter for the next few days trying to "catch" the stones to give to the doctor to analyze.

Hang in there.

:goodposting:

I too am a proud member of the multiple stone episode, failed lithotripsy, stent and legitimate lover of narcotics club.

Best of luck, brother.

Can't say enough about drinking lots of water. The other kidney related ailment which water greatly forstalls is gout--and having had both of them I tend to talk frequently around here about the benefits, even as recently as this morning. When I had my stone I actually thought it was an infection--since it wasn't the godawful pain that y'all are describing. It hurt, sure enough, but it wasn't until I had trouble peeing that I went in to see my GP. First thing of course he wanted a sample--and that sucker broke up right on time for me to give him my sample with kidney stone included.

I've had four of them. The first struck while I was taking a final my junior year of college. I had never gone to the nurse during school at any stage in my life. I feel it starting as I'm going out to class and then, while I'm sitting for the final it gets worse until I can't stand it any more and tell the teacher I need to go to the health center. She says I'm just nervous and should go outside and get a drink of water, then come back in. I'm like, uh, no. I go in to the health center and am pretty much writhing on the ground in pain until they give me a pain killer and put me on an iv drip. Once it passed from the kidney to the bladder, it really wasn't a problem. That's where the excruciating pain is. I had another two smaller ones over the next few years that weren't nearly as bad as the first. I figured maybe the tube had loosened up a bit. But then I got a big stone that was stuck in the kidney and I had to have the electrowave procedure done to break it up. That was not fun. I was asleep during it but as soon as the pain medication started to wear off as I was riding home in the car, it felt like someone had punched me in the kidney and bruised it. Then I was spewing out shards of kidney stone for two weeks. If having a kidney stone is like giving birth, this was like having a litter. Fortunately, I haven't had any more kidney stones since that episode and it's been nearly 6 years. All they ever told me about preventing it is to drink a lot of water, so I always carry a bottle of water around with me now.

Here I sit in the hospital, drugged out of my gourd waiting to get a stone removed tomorrow. GB working in a hospital & having the good stuff close at hand.

Only had lithotripsy in the past. This time theyre talking basket retrieval. :(

Here I sit in the hospital, drugged out of my gourd waiting to get a stone removed tomorrow. GB working in a hospital & having the good stuff close at hand.Only had lithotripsy in the past. This time theyre talking basket retrieval. :(
Welcome to having a stent from your kidney to the end of your ####. The peeing hurts real bad with that tube

I've needed surgery twice to remove them (in a span of 45 days). Let's just say that it has affected my spray pattern and it's two years later.

It got stock in my ureters and were 14 and 15mm in size. The weird thing is that when it first hit me, they thought I was having appendicitus because the pain was in my front right. So they made me drink a gallon of contrast which only made it worst.

The worst part was when they put a catheder up there and then took it out without anesthesia. Some hot nurse did it and I couldn't have been more limp.

I heard another way to avoid them is to pee frequently and not hold it for long periods. Never checked on it, but my buddy who got them real bad about 10 years ago swears by it.

'Steel Dillo said:
Thanks for the encouragement. :unsure: They better not try to stick anything up my junk unless I'm comatose.
I've had 3. The first I had no idea what was going on, went to hospital, went home and passed it a couple weeks later. It was huge. I saved it for a long time wish I still had it.second - didn't bother going to hospital, just passed it after a few daythird - got stuck in my bladder and had to fish it out. Yes they put me under for the tube to kidney. Collected my urine for a week. Got that tested. Calcium build up ( was told to drink more water, everything was fine). After a week went to doctor and he pulled the tube out. Very odd laying on your back, doctor pulling tube out (string was attached hanging out my pee hole), feel the tube come out and inadvertently peeing a few drops. Feel like a freaking baby. :lmao: Oh the first day after the tube was in my first pee attempt hurt a thousand times worse than the kidney stone :thumbup:

'Steel Dillo said:
Thanks for the encouragement. :unsure: They better not try to stick anything up my junk unless I'm comatose.
If they don't offer it to you, ask the doc for some Pyridium. It's a drug that numbs the urinary tract and prevents that "peeing razors" feeling that lasts for a little while after they go through the pee hole with the basket thing to remove the stone. One side effect: It turns your urine bright orange.Also, if they leave you with a stent that has the string attached hanging out of your pee hole be REALLY careful with that string. I caught the looped end of the string with the corner of my towel after a shower and it pulled the stent into the bladder sphincter. There was this crazy shockwave of pain followed by uncontrollable dripping of urine. It was a Sunday so I called the urologist's emergency number and he told me I would have to just remove the stent myself. Couple shots of Jameson later I grabbed that string and pulled. Possibly the most ridiculous afternoon of my life. Fun times.Good luck man. Wouldn't with that on my worst enemy.

Still waiting for the doc to come in. At this point I feel fine &just want to be released. I hate sitting & waiting.

'Steel Dillo said:
If they don't offer it to you, ask the doc for some Pyridium. It's a drug that numbs the urinary tract and prevents that "peeing razors" feeling that lasts for a little while after they go through the pee hole with the basket thing to remove the stone. One side effect: It turns your urine bright orange.Also, if they leave you with a stent that has the string attached hanging out of your pee hole be REALLY careful with that string. I caught the looped end of the string with the corner of my towel after a shower and it pulled the stent into the bladder sphincter. There was this crazy shockwave of pain followed by uncontrollable dripping of urine. It was a Sunday so I called the urologist's emergency number and he told me I would have to just remove the stent myself. Couple shots of Jameson later I grabbed that string and pulled. Possibly the most ridiculous afternoon of my life. Fun times.Good luck man. Wouldn't with that on my worst enemy.
:X

Drink lots of water every day.
A friend of mine that had them seemed to think that PREVIOUS use of pain pills made them more common, he did used to pop a lot of pills for his back.

I believe I'm about to join the club. :(

I've had a dull, constant pain in my pouch for about two weeks now (no abnormalities on the nuts... just general discomfort). Also sharp pain in my right kidney area and my lower back (on the same side) and my lower abdomen area is very tender when I press on it. Talked to a PA today and she said I have all the signs of kidney stones. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for an ultrasound of the kidney.

I believe I'm about to join the club. :(

I've had a dull, constant pain in my pouch for about two weeks now (no abnormalities on the nuts... just general discomfort). Also sharp pain in my right kidney area and my lower back (on the same side) and my lower abdomen area is very tender when I press on it. Talked to a PA today and she said I have all the signs of kidney stones. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for an ultrasound of the kidney.
My link

I believe I'm about to join the club. :(I've had a dull, constant pain in my pouch for about two weeks now (no abnormalities on the nuts... just general discomfort). Also sharp pain in my right kidney area and my lower back (on the same side) and my lower abdomen area is very tender when I press on it. Talked to a PA today and she said I have all the signs of kidney stones. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow for an ultrasound of the kidney.
It's pretty much a free pass for all the hydrocodone you need. By the time I was done passing my stone I had so much left I was trading it like gold. Stuff would trade at like a 1000% markup. Doctors would ask if I needed any and even though I had a full bottle I would accept the script.

I may have joined the club. I've been experiencing lower back pain the past two weeks. We have three kids, and all of them (the youngest is 2.5 yrs old now) have always loved to be held, so I thought the recent pain was just more pain from holding them.

Well, yesterday morning, the back pain worsens. I took a hot shower to see if it'll loosen up my muscles. I feel a little better, but still in some pain. I take our youngest daughter to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items. On the drive home, I start experiencing this wave of pain and discomfort. It's my lower back, now my right nut, now I think I have to throw up, nope just extreme back pain, etc. Luckily, we make it home safely. I turn on the TV to babysit my daughter so I can go to the bathroom and try to poop, pee or hurl. I'm in there and nothing is happening. I've got another 20 min before my wife comes home from work. I hang out on the bathroom floor, writhing in pain. Praying for the pain to go away. My daughter comes in, asking to watch more TV, and I say "mmmnnmmmmnmn yes." She says she loves me and takes off for some more Doc McStuffin. Oh, wait, it was Mickey Mouse Clubhouse: "OHHHH TOODLES!!!"

About 3 minutes before my wife gets off of work (she works at our kids' school, across the street), I text her to hurry home because I feel really sick. She arrives about 5 min later. When I hear the front door open, I muster up enough energy to sit up so that she doesn't find me lying on the floor like a drunk. I tell her my symptoms and then go upstairs to take a nap.

An hour and a half later, I wake up feeling a little better. I call Kaiser to see if I can get in the same day to see my GP (they close at 5pm). The advice nurse says that I just need to go to ER. I hang up and call again 'cause ain't nobody got time for that, getting a different advice nurse who does book me for a 4:10 appt. I see doc. He says it may be back problems and suggests PT. Also, there are nerves in the back that spread out, even into my testacles. So, that's probably where that pain come from. He says that I should have a urinalysis and blood work done, just to be sure and rule anything out.

Blood work comes back fine, but there were traces of blood in my urine, which was "probably caused by kidney stones." He says they (or it) may have passed already, and if I experience any more pain, to come in for a CT scan and go from there. But, basically, start drinking a lot of water forever and ever, amen.

This morning, I felt slight discomfort in my right nut, so I took 2 Aleves. I took a pretty dark yellow pee, and have fine ever since. So hopefully, they're all gone.

Member of: Kidney Stone passers, Vasectomy survivors, ADHD sufferers, Migrainers are Us, Fathers of multiple kids, Fathers of Daughters, No love for our own Fathers, iOS 7 users, Enjoyers of big-IPAs, and Oakland Should be in top 3 (of cities that produce rappers).

As a veteran of a dozen kidney stones, what you're going through does sound like one but it doesn't sound as though it has passed. The immense pain you feel in your lower back (and it emanating down to your testicle also is normal) is when the stone goes through your ureter, the tube between the kidney and the bladder that is actually smaller than the urethra. This is always a sunovabich, but I feel the first time is by far the worst. That was the only time I felt the need to go to the hospital. All others have been bearable, though I've developed a high tolerance for pain. I know that all the hospital will really do that is helpful is give you a shot of morphine. I just drink a lot of water, maybe taken an advil or two, and wait for them to pass. The stone can kind of go down in stages, like you feel pain as it moves through the ureter but then it gets stuck and you don't feel anything for a while, then it starts up again. If it makes it down to your bladder, the really painful part is over but it still has to pass all the way out and that can take time. Although it really doesn't hurt to piss it out, there likely will be enough of a feeling for you to notice when it does happen. You should keep downing water. Also, once you've had one kidney stone, expect to have more. I've had like a dozen now, including one that needed to be broken up by shock wave. I have another in me now that is 1.8cm and needs the shock wave procedure, but have been putting it off because of the cost on my current awful plan.

Just had my second stone this past Monday. Stone was larger than the first one, but slightly less painful. The first one, I never blacked out, but I don't remember much from that night. It's like my brain didn't press record during the pain.

This past Monday was 2mm. Fairly small, but it hurt like a female dog. Nurse kept coming in and telling me the ER was really busy and she had to wait to get the OK from the doc for pain meds. I was admitted at 7:30am. I finally got my pain meds at 11:00am. She said, "Bad luck for you. Two heart attacks and an asthma attack came in at the same time as me." I feel like I should have got preference over the asthma attack. Hell, give him an inhaler and then give me some meds. How long does it take to inject meds into my IV? And, in all honesty, when you're suffering that pain from a kidney stone, I don't care who you are, you are pretty sure your pain takes precedence over heart attacks, as well. In fact, I'm pretty sure kidney stone trumps everything!

14 hours later, after not being able to piss for the entire day (but feeling like I had to go very bad), I shot that rock into my strainer, feel to the floor, and cried tears of joy.

Guess I have to make an appointment with a urologist now. :old:

Do you feel them coming on? I sometimes am sore in the kidney areas when I don't drink enough water, but then I start really downing it. So far I have never had one.

Do you feel them coming on? I sometimes am sore in the kidney areas when I don't drink enough water, but then I start really downing it. So far I have never had one.
I've had two and they both occurred with no warning. The first one came on while I was sitting on the couch. This last one, I went to bed fine and woke up with horrible back pain when my alarm went off.

The first time, I had no clue what it was, so I finished watching Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals before heading to the ER. This last one, as soon as I woke up, I was like, "We need to get to the hospital STAT!!"

Users who are viewing this thread