What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (3 Viewers)

Scary thing to me right now is that Childress has resigned as a HC from the AAF Lg.  He has ties to Stafanski.  Right now it's just a game of connect the dots, but I really don't want to see Childress back on the Browns sidelines.  

I am not gonna bag on the Freddie hire, but I have some concerns about how it looks.

Freddie was successful at running the offense.  So now someone else is going to be running the offense.  So not only is someone else going to be running the offense, Freddie has zero experience as an NFL head coach and only minimal experience as a coordinator.  

If they plan to have Freddie calling plays ala Hue Style, I am not gonna be real thrilled.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If they plan to have Freddie calling plays ala Hue Style, I am not gonna be real thrilled. 
That's what it will be, ala McVey, Payton, etc.  Freddie needs to find that experienced DC to help him on that side of the ball.  Maybe even a vet OC to help learn the ropes...?

Happy for Freddie!  If we went in house, that is the guy I wanted.  Now lets see him build his coaching staff!

I am not gonna bag on the Freddie hire, but I have some concerns about how it looks.

Freddie was successful at running the offense.  So now someone else is going to be running the offense.  So not only is someone else going to be running the offense, Freddie has zero experience as an NFL head coach and only minimal experience as a coordinator.  

I'm only concerned about all that if he doesn't bring in an OC.  I also prefer the unknown of him as a head coach than I do the known issues with McCarthy and Gase.  

That's what it will be, ala McVey, Payton, etc.  Freddie needs to find that experienced DC to help him on that side of the ball.  Maybe even a vet OC to help learn the ropes...?

Happy for Freddie!  If we went in house, that is the guy I wanted.  Now lets see him build his coaching staff!
I'm not expecting a vet OC - since it probably won't come with play calling I think it'll be a former position coach.  The DC hire is critical.

That’s basically what I said last night. Look at who we interviewed and when. We were supposed to get the ear of anyone we wanted to.

People keep talking about the window we have before Baker and others need to get paid. I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him. I hope Dorsey and Co aren’t just going with their gut here. But, let’s get cookin’!!!

And what happened with Taub in all of this? 

Couldnt we just have signed Freddie as the OC for like 5 years and pay him head coach money?  Then hire a head coach?

They must really love the guy, so at least that is encouraging

It could be too much too soon for him.
Freddie's been in the league for 14 years, and worked under some really smart HCs during that time.  He appears smart and quick-witted, so I'm sure he's learned quite a bit just by being in the room.  The big guy may talk slow, but it doesn't mean he thinks slow.

Couldnt we just have signed Freddie as the OC for like 5 years and pay him head coach money?  Then hire a head coach?
I'm thinking that wouldn't have worked.  Look at LeFleur in GB now.  He had one year as a play-calling OC and got snatched up quick.  Stefanski impressed enough for a 2nd HC interview and he had less time as a play-calling OC than Freddie.  I think it's good that teams are considering younger coaches for the HC spot and breaking traditional routines.  Offenses are becoming more creative and innovative, and teams that are accepting that have been picking up a HC that is just as creative and innovative offensively.  With the rules in place to showcase QBs and score often, it makes sense.

Plus, I doubt any HC candidate would have agreed to only sign a 5yr deal - nor would Freddie have hung around for 5 yrs to learn.  Even if Freddie was retained as OC for the next HC, odds are he would be the hot candidate next year after he and Baker tear this league apart in 2019.  ;)

That’s basically what I said last night. Look at who we interviewed and when. We were supposed to get the ear of anyone we wanted to.

People keep talking about the window we have before Baker and others need to get paid. I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him. I hope Dorsey and Co aren’t just going with their gut here. But, let’s get cookin’!!!

And what happened with Taub in all of this? 
Where do most coaching hires come from?  Coordinators and positional coaches.  Look around the league - how many "experienced coaches" are currently out there?  7, and one of them is freakin Gruden.  If Dorsey wasn't bringing in someone from Kansas City I'm not going to question it.  The names we kept hearing over and over again in November and December - they're rooted in buddy-buddy relationships with certain media members then spread because they're the only names out there.  Ultimately this hire was probably going to come from downstream, so if you're not blown away by the downstream options on other teams why wouldn't you just pick the one you're already familiar with (and like!)?

They must really love the guy, so at least that is encouraging
Fantasy land - not real world.  If you don't hire him as head coach and the team does well then he will leave for another head coaching position.  

bold. 

but makes sense. if they wanted a younger up and coming coach (unproven), why gamble on some other team’s guy?  go with the one you already know.  

whether it works or not, should be entertaining.  

Freddie's been in the league for 14 years, and worked under some really smart HCs during that time.  He appears smart and quick-witted, so I'm sure he's learned quite a bit just by being in the room.  The big guy may talk slow, but it doesn't mean he thinks slow.
Not disputing any of that. It was still a meteoric rise. I’m excited.

I like it for the stability for baker n the off.......dont like it because a head coach has more responsibility than just the offense......lets see what he does with the defense

Where do most coaching hires come from?  Coordinators and positional coaches.  Look around the league - how many "experienced coaches" are currently out there?  7, and one of them is freakin Gruden.  If Dorsey wasn't bringing in someone from Kansas City I'm not going to question it.  The names we kept hearing over and over again in November and December - they're rooted in buddy-buddy relationships with certain media members then spread because they're the only names out there.  Ultimately this hire was probably going to come from downstream, so if you're not blown away by the downstream options on other teams why wouldn't you just pick the one you're already familiar with (and like!)?
Not sure exactly what I said that got this response. I don’t think you pieced together the posts over the last 24 hrs (not your fault, blame FBG). 

I’m fine hiring a coordinator and was not pushing for a retread in general or a specific one. 

I am curious about Taub though. Something will surface.

Not sure exactly what I said that got this response. I don’t think you pieced together the posts over the last 24 hrs (not your fault, blame FBG). 

I’m fine hiring a coordinator and was not pushing for a retread in general or a specific one. 

I am curious about Taub though. Something will surface.
"I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him"  

Of the options available I think this is the least scary route.  I have absolutely no clue if it has the highest ceiling.  But there's no more reason to be concerned about this than any other potential setup.

I like it for the stability for baker n the off.......dont like it because a head coach has more responsibility than just the offense......lets see what he does with the defense
He's not being promoted to handle the defense.  He's being promoted to lead and hold the locker room together.  I'm sure he will remain heavily involved on the offensive side of the ball - and I'd be surprised if anyone else calls plays.  But someone else will be responsible for the defense.

I actually thought there was a chance Gregg Williams would stick around as DC. I mean, why not? It can't be a pride thing, he knows he's not getting a HC job elsewhere, why not stay where he is coming off a pretty successful job? Unless the Browns just wanted him gone altogether.

I actually thought there was a chance Gregg Williams would stick around as DC. I mean, why not? It can't be a pride thing, he knows he's not getting a HC job elsewhere, why not stay where he is coming off a pretty successful job? Unless the Browns just wanted him gone altogether.
that's like marrying your girlfriend and letting your ex-wife live in the same house with the two of you.

Being demoted and now needing to report to someone who used to be below you on the org chart is asking for avoidable problems.  It could also just be the last part.  His defense while entertaining at times wasn't consistently effective for a variety of somewhat predictable reasons. And I'll never forgive him for the asinine way he deployed Peppers last year.

PatMcManamon‏Verified account @PatMcManamon

Usual challenges ahead, but there’s very little not to like about Browns hiring Freddie Kitchens. He’s confident, aggressive, open-minded and he earned the job the old-fashioned way, by working for it. #Browns

10:04 AM - 9 Jan 2019

-----------------------------------

NFL Films Presents: Freddie Kitchens

"I have fears about going this route with Freddie. It could be too much too soon for him"  

Of the options available I think this is the least scary route.  I have absolutely no clue if it has the highest ceiling.  But there's no more reason to be concerned about this than any other potential setup.
I agree if your talking about the 7 interviewed. 

Dorsey decided to latch onto Freddie before this process started. That’s why he got the 7 in house that he got. I like that Dorsey has balls of steel and a strong sense of conviction. He’s also a power player and doesn’t let someone like McCarthy sway him. 

Its also interesting hearing Depodesta and the analytics guys were pushing for Stefanski. So the 2nd interview wasn’t a marraige proposal, it was the analytics guys getting a last shot.

Football, and Cleveland, wins the day. 

I agree if your talking about the 7 interviewed. 

Dorsey decided to latch onto Freddie before this process started. That’s why he got the 7 in house that he got. I like that Dorsey has balls of steel and a strong sense of conviction. He’s also a power player and doesn’t let someone like McCarthy sway him. 

Its also interesting hearing Depodesta and the analytics guys were pushing for Stefanski. So the 2nd interview wasn’t a marraige proposal, it was the analytics guys getting a last shot.

Football, and Cleveland, wins the day. 
I'm talking about all of them.  I'd be a whole lot more concerned had we brought in McCarthy or Gase - and to a lesser degree, McDaniels.  The rest?  I would have been surprised if an interesting enough college coach thought about jumping, so that left...coordinators and Arians.

Where'd you get that nugget about DePodesta and Stefanski?  Needed to do some actual work, so I checked out for a bit.

bold. 

but makes sense. if they wanted a younger up and coming coach (unproven), why gamble on some other team’s guy?  go with the one you already know.  

whether it works or not, should be entertaining.  
Kitchens makes sense.  The O took off under him.  Now Cleveland needs to find a solid DC and let that DC have a lot of control over that unit.  That will let Kitchens focus on the O while running the team. 

I saw that tweet about "Pencil Pushers" and who they wanted, but I also saw that Stefanski was on Dorsey's list as well.  So he has some things going for him.

Interesting tweet that should help calm some people in regards to the interviewing team and their kumbaya moment....

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

Biggest takeaway, aside from everyone agreeing on the hire, is that Kitchens will report directly to Dorsey.  Helps alleviate the concern over the old reporting structure.

I saw that tweet about "Pencil Pushers" and who they wanted, but I also saw that Stefanski was on Dorsey's list as well.  So he has some things going for him.

Interesting tweet that should help calm some people in regards to the interviewing team and their kumbaya moment....

On #Browns and Kitchens: Hire was ultimately Haslam + Dorsey; as HC Kitchens reports to Dorsey; Kitchens will retool staff (including on offense); Stefanski had support to be HC hire but consensus was for Kitchens; search was Haslam, Dorsey, DePodesta, Berry, Wolf, JW Johnson.

Biggest takeaway, aside from everyone agreeing on the hire, is that Kitchens will report directly to Dorsey.  Helps alleviate the concern over the old reporting structure.
Stefanski has ties to Dorsey right? I’m not saying Dorsey didn’t like him. I think that’s how he got 2 interviews and ended up being a realistic option. Just sounds like the two sides differed when a decision needed to be made...and that’s not a bad thing either.

Great news about the HC reporting to Dorsey. Almost the best news of the day.

I wanted us to keep Kitch but wasn't sure about him as the HC but I'm sold.  Marla wanted him as the HC, this from December.

Marla Ridenour: Keeping Freddie Kitchens, preserving synergy with Baker Mayfield must be priority for Browns

When it comes to the future of the Browns and the development of quarterback Baker Mayfield, keeping Freddie Kitchens should be a top priority.

Even if it means naming him coach.

Right now, in the growing pool of rumored candidates... Kitchens would be my choice.

On Monday, Browns General Manager John Dorsey said “a mark of a good coach is being able to create a relationship with a player, especially at that position.”

... the trust between Mayfield and Kitchens feels special and might not be easily replicated. There is a playfulness to their relationship, but also an underlying bond of mutual respect.

Peter King >>> “Given the success of Freddie Kitchens as offensive coordinator — Baker Mayfield loves him and responds to him — my sense is the Browns feel they don’t have to get the next great offensive brain to work with Mayfield and develop an offensive identity,” King said. “They might have that guy now.

...Dorsey acknowledged that Kitchens “has moved the bar on the offensive side of the ball,” which is amplified by the lack of creativity that has dogged the Browns for years. As former offensive coordinator Brad Childress said in early 2012 when that problem was brought up, “Have people stopped eating cereal?”

It will be even tougher to go back to Cheerios now.

...A major reason for Mayfield’s improvement after the coaching change was his synergy with Kitchens. To continue that arc that seemingly has no bounds, Kitchens must stay.
Note the quote from Brad Childress if his name comes up for the OC position.

One thing Ktichens must do... Make the playoffs.

NFL Head Coaches Hired In The Last Decade: What the Data Says

...Reaching the playoffs gives you almost an extra two-and-a-half seasons of leeway, on average. Coaches that didn’t reach the playoffs during their tenure lasted for 2.1 seasons. Coaches that reached the playoffs during their tenure lasted about 4.4 seasons.
We need stability and success and that has to start this year with Kitchens.

Create your success Freddy.  Make the playoffs!

So Gregg and Blake Williams are out....

Amos is out....

Zampese is out....

Lindley, Wylie, and Henry are staying (all of which did a good job, so no reason to be shown the door)
Spoke too soon on Wylie........Rip "Hut!"

Browns let Williams and others go this afternoon....

Other coaches have already been told they’re being let go, including quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, special teams coordinator Amos Jones, offensive line coach Bob Wylie, linebackers coach Blake Williams, assistant defensive backs Jerod Kruse, tight ends coach Greg Seamon, assistant defensive backs coach Jerod Kruse, offensive quality control coach Brian Braswell, offensive assistant Bob Saunders, assistant offensive line coach Mark Hutson, defensive quality control coach Eric Sanders, and special teams assistant Josh Cribbs.
Thought Cribbs might stay around to keep learning, but I guess not.  Dorsey and Freddie need to go out and find the Best ST Coach and pay him big to join the staff.  Boyer maybe?

DocHolliday said:
Kitchens makes sense.  The O took off under him.  Now Cleveland needs to find a solid DC and let that DC have a lot of control over that unit.  That will let Kitchens focus on the O while running the team. 
That concept worked very well for the defending world champs. Schwartz was actually hired prior to the HC and given total control over the defense which enabled inexperienced Pederson to focus exclusively on the offense and developing Wentz. Unique situation but not completely dissimilar to the current Browns’ situation and the characters involved

Would have preferred Arians for a bridge to Kitchens but maybe they were afraid that he would be stolen from them in a year or 2. Team is going to put up points and I don't think Kitchens is the type of guy that thinks any lead is big enough. I know Mayfield isn't.

Would have preferred Arians for a bridge to Kitchens but maybe they were afraid that he would be stolen from them in a year or 2. Team is going to put up points and I don't think Kitchens is the type of guy that thinks any lead is big enough. I know Mayfield isn't.
The Arians to Kitchens bridge was a fun narrative, but lacked practicality. If things went well then Freddie is gone next year. And Arians isnt coming in for a one year cameo. 

The Arians to Kitchens bridge was a fun narrative, but lacked practicality. If things went well then Freddie is gone next year. And Arians isnt coming in for a one year cameo. 
Kind of like the keep it the same narrative (or move Gregg back to DC and Freddie HC). Had some fun with it thru week 17, but if you really sit back and look at the big picture, none of it made much sense. 

I heard/read today (can’t recall where) that if we didn’t hire Freddie as HC, teams still sitting around were going to pounce. Nobody requested Freddie for a HC interview...but a team or 2 coulda been laying in the weeds. So we might not even had another year with him as OC. Could you imagine the outrage if we hired Stefanski and Freddie ended up as the Bengals HC?

Users who are viewing this thread