What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

otb_lifer said:
no, full stop on Rev Al.

plenty of ways to be force for civil rights WITHOUT the Tawana Brawley/Korean boycott, not to mention the Freddy's "white interlopers" bull#### which led directly to 8 deaths.

and black on _ crime is a pretty big problem too - whether it's comfy to say or not. 
That #### was legit messed up. And I know you're not excusing all of the bs and worse #### that happened and keeps happening to the black community because they're black. it sucks to say, but I believe without the overblown antics being part of it, things weren't changing.

That #### was legit messed up. And I know you're not excusing all of the bs and worse #### that happened and keeps happening to the black community because they're black. it sucks to say, but I believe without the overblown antics being part of it, things weren't changing.

nah, he can go #### himself. 

i'm at a full stop when it comes to taking him seriously. 

btw, if you think all his work was outta love and justice and altruism, well ... that bridge over the East River is for sale. 

Last edited by a moderator:
nah, he can go #### himself. 

i'm at a full stop when it comes to taking him seriously. 

btw, if you think all his work was outta love and justice and altruism, well ... that bridge over the East River is for sale. 
You can keep the bridge.

Here's my take on him: shameless, selfish, self-aggrandizing, self-promoting, overblown media whore.

Still saying and doing #### that has had a net positive effect on turning the racial viewpoint. Full stop.

I've had this conversation a few hundred more times than I want.

BobbyLayne said:
Don't want to take us too far on this rabbit trail but it always slays me how quick people are to employ association, or ad hominem, or bulverism bc they don't have element one to discuss about the actual issues.
I'm out.

Appreciate both of you as friends more than I do about scoring (talking) points.

Still saying and doing #### that has had a net positive effect on turning the racial viewpoint.

nope. 

it was the COMMUNITIES that rose above - the individuals  who made a difference each and every day, without the fanfare and money grabs of that mega ########. 

that's the straight dope, my friend. 

if you feel differently, so be it. 

:bye:

nope. 

it was the COMMUNITIES that rose above - the individuals  who made a difference each and every day, without the fanfare and money grabs of that mega ########. 

that's the straight dope, my friend. 

if you feel differently, so be it. 

:bye:
They're not mutually exclusive.

His personality (that none of us like) put him and the issues constantly square in the spotlight. Like it or not, that's the reality. Would there have been improvement without him? Wtf knows..he was there and part of it.

Sharpy aside, and getting back to bobbys posts.... I have noticed a marked uptick of cops out and about in the last month or three. 

Honestly- that's all I think it'll take. If people see cops out, or fear being seen by a cop doing any of the escalating bs people have been doing, I think they'll start nipping thinking doing the bs in the bud.

Sharpy aside, and getting back to bobbys posts.... I have noticed a marked uptick of cops out and about in the last month or three. 

Honestly- that's all I think it'll take. If people see cops out, or fear being seen by a cop doing any of the escalating bs people have been doing, I think they'll start nipping thinking doing the bs in the bud.

i think for the majority of the rank and file "Q of L" crimes that'll be a boon to reducing, and curbing the brashness. 

but for the miscreant who smeared #### in the woman's face at the train, or the ##### who bashed the toddler in the park?  dunno - don't think the word "deterrent" exists there, unfortunately.

i think for the majority of the rank and file "Q of L" crimes that'll be a boon to reducing, and curbing the brashness. 

but for the miscreant who smeared #### in the woman's face at the train, or the ##### who bashed the toddler in the park?  dunno - don't think the word "deterrent" exists there, unfortunately.
Yeah...crazy's gonna crazy, cops or no.

it's the rest of the stuff that feels at a tipping point

Asian teen slashed while leaving restaurant

I’ve known this kid’s mom for twenty years. He is sweet and gentle.

The guy who attacked him has been arrested 14 times, has 7 felonies, and committed 3 violent crimes - including serving 42 months for a stabbing, and pushing a woman through a plate glass window last year.

Bowery & East 4th, the regulars in this thread have walked that block thousands of times.

I’m in shock.

The guy who attacked him has been arrested 14 times, has 7 felonies, and committed 3 violent crimes - including serving 42 months for a stabbing, and pushing a woman through a plate glass window last year.

Bowery & East 4th, the regulars in this thread have walked that block thousands of times.

I’m in shock.
Smdh I’m getting really sick of this stuff.  

I’m in shock.
####### hell. I'm at that block practically daily.

eta: I typed that before clicking on the story. we go to Phebe's pretty regularly since B-Bar closed. it's cheap, easy to get a seat, and has stuff 10yo floppinha will eat. not great or even that good... but 10yo picky kids tend to limit options.

and the attacker must've known that kid (at least from social media) if he was asking such specific questions about his youtube personality. how on earth did the attacker find the kid? 

but yeah- I pick up lunch at Sweet Greens or HoneyBrains and ride back past Phebe's every day.

Heading home from JFK after a few days in CA with flopppinho. Flight delayed am hour...and we're sitting in ####### traffic at 10:30pm on a Thursday?

Used to be my entire weekend existence centered around the quadrant of Houston/Allen/Delancey/Norfolk. I’m not sure what happened to that guy lol.

Going to see a friend’s gig at Rockwood this weekend. Need a restaurant rec, preferably Ludlow or nearby.

TIA

Used to be my entire weekend existence centered around the quadrant of Houston/Allen/Delancey/Norfolk. I’m not sure what happened to that guy lol.

Going to see a friend’s gig at Rockwood this weekend. Need a restaurant rec, preferably Ludlow or nearby.

TIA
Chez Floppo, Houston and A

it's the wrong side of Houston, but our go-to spot is Il Posto Accanto (formerly Il Bagatto) on 2nd st betw A & B. consistent, mellow and nice Italian, without the young folk that constantly fill up Supper up the street... and better food than there as well imo.

Ivan Ramen or Clinton St Bakery on Clinton St.

Blue Ribbon Sushi in 60 LES Hotel (and next door to Rockwood)

if you're in a rush, we go to the Grilled Cheese spot right next to Rockwood.

Heading to Manhattan tonight from CA.  My family is seeing Hamilton at Richard Rodgers Theater tomorrow night, and my wife and 16 yo daughter will be seeing Dear Evan Hansen on Tuesday night.  This will be our first time in the city. Is the walk from the theaters to our hotel (near Macy's) safe enough after a show?

TIA

Heading to Manhattan tonight from CA.  My family is seeing Hamilton at Richard Rodgers Theater tomorrow night, and my wife and 16 yo daughter will be seeing Dear Evan Hansen on Tuesday night.  This will be our first time in the city. Is the walk from the theaters to our hotel (near Macy's) safe enough after a show?

TIA

To Herald square?  That is perfectly safe though walking through Times Square is painful.  

TIA

To Herald square?  That is perfectly safe though walking through Times Square is painful.
Yeah... you'll be fine. But still- be vigilant of your surroundings, there's been an uptick of random weird crimes (but nowhere near as bad as hte news might make it seem). and be aware of gangs of Elmos out to take your women.

10yo Floppinha and I just saw Evan Hansen for the first time- solid show. But nothing compares to Hamilton... just amazing. Have fun! and let us know if you need food recs (eg: for the love of god, don't eat at Carmine's).

TIA
Fyi...just saw this in the news yesterday.

New Tourist Walking Speed Minimum To Be Enforced Across NYC

The first-time law will go into effect this summer, requiring that visiting pedestrians maintain a specifically calculated "New Yorker" MPH.

New Tourist Walking Speed Minimum To Be Enforced Across NYC

For anyone who hates being stuck behind a slow walker in NYC — who are we kidding, that’s all of us — the phenomenon may soon become a thing of the past.

The city announced today that it will begin implementing a “walking speed minimum” trial program across sidewalks and crosswalks in tourist-heavy areas of NYC, to go into effect July 1, 2022.

The walking speed in cities averages 3.1 miles per hour according to urban planners, but in NYC it reaches much closer to 4.5mph, a rate that pedestrians will be required to maintain from now on. Hyper-sensitive speedometers will be set up on sidewalks and will flash walkers’ current numerical speeds to ensure they are matching the rest of walking traffic.

Under the new pedestrian speed laws, visitors can be ticketed & receive a “Slow Poke” citation for stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a photo. 

The NYC Department of Transportation shared that you can be ticketed for not walking fast enough, called a “Slow Poke” citation. There can also be tickets given for anything that delays the flow of traffic, with the most severe penalty being for fully stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take a photo, or standing aimlessly in front of a subway entrance

TIA
We had a fantastic time in Manhattan.  Thanks for the reassurance that the late night walks would be ok.  Hamilton was amazing. We saw it in SF in May 2018, but it was so much better on Broadway (taking nothing away from the traveling company). Me, my wife, and daughters (16 and 10) absolutely loved it. Our 14 yo son was just happy that we bought him gummy bears.  We stuck around after the show to see some of the actors exit and chat/take pics with the fans (such a cool experience). 

My wife and daughter were able to add "Six" to their Broadway viewing.  We walked everywhere, or Uber'ed if the walk was greater than 30 mins (except for the Brooklyn Bridge which we crossed both ways). We didn't take a bus or the subway at all.

I was surprised at how cavalier weed smokers are, not that I object as I partake myself, but that there really was no concern for the legality of smoking on the street.  Also surprised at how many people still smoke actual cigarettes.

The food was good-to-great, but not great.  Caveat: we were limited by our own imposed requirement to find eateries that had outside seating, and that could accommodate my wife's GF diet.  Loved Juliana's in Brooklyn and Da Andrea in Flat Iron, and Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles in Chinatown.

Overall, just a wonderful, wonderful city. The people were great, no attitudes or rudeness shown our way. We will be back.  Thanks.

We had a fantastic time in Manhattan.  Thanks for the reassurance that the late night walks would be ok.  Hamilton was amazing. We saw it in SF in May 2018, but it was so much better on Broadway (taking nothing away from the traveling company). Me, my wife, and daughters (16 and 10) absolutely loved it. Our 14 yo son was just happy that we bought him gummy bears.  We stuck around after the show to see some of the actors exit and chat/take pics with the fans (such a cool experience). 

My wife and daughter were able to add "Six" to their Broadway viewing.  We walked everywhere, or Uber'ed if the walk was greater than 30 mins (except for the Brooklyn Bridge which we crossed both ways). We didn't take a bus or the subway at all.

I was surprised at how cavalier weed smokers are, not that I object as I partake myself, but that there really was no concern for the legality of smoking on the street.  Also surprised at how many people still smoke actual cigarettes.

The food was good-to-great, but not great.  Caveat: we were limited by our own imposed requirement to find eateries that had outside seating, and that could accommodate my wife's GF diet.  Loved Juliana's in Brooklyn and Da Andrea in Flat Iron, and Tasty Hand-Pulled Noodles in Chinatown.

Overall, just a wonderful, wonderful city. The people were great, no attitudes or rudeness shown our way. We will be back.  Thanks.
what a great trip! glad you guys experienced so much good stuff and had fun.

we just saw Six a couple months ago- really fun... but kinda "slight", especially compared to Hamilton or Evan Hanson. not what I would call great theater- more of a "review", but totally worthwhile. my wife got 14yo Floppinho a singing lesson (via zoom) with the actress who played Ann Bolyn... he sang the song Heart of Stone from the show in the lesson- so it was cool that it was something she knew well (even though it wasn't her song) and he could have that interaction.

yeah, they decriminalized smoking pot (and even shooting up... which is a whole other ball of wax), so morning noon and night it's weed.. no matter the neighborhood. somebody in this thread doesn't like it... but I don't care in the slightest. not like some cat is going to smoke up and then be a belligerent ##### afterwords, like all the ####### drunk bros and sorority sisters every night and all weekend.

too bad about the food.. but there's such a huge variety here- I don't know the places you went. and too bad you were restricted by your wife's girlfriend's diet. but cool you guys were observing it... and cool for you in the long run because... wife's girlfriend.

Other weird observations/questions that we had:

1 - why do so many dogs wear "shoes"? Is it so the owner/dog walker can take them off before going inside so the floors don't get dirty? Or is it to protect the dogs from the heat or chill of the sidewalks?

2 - we found it very clever for the Uber Eats/GrubHub cyclists to have "oven mitts" (what my youngest daughter called them) on the handlebars

3 - what's with the big inflatable rat and pig near construction sites on Fifth Ave.?

Other weird observations/questions that we had:

1 - why do so many dogs wear "shoes"? Is it so the owner/dog walker can take them off before going inside so the floors don't get dirty? Or is it to protect the dogs from the heat or chill of the sidewalks?

2 - we found it very clever for the Uber Eats/GrubHub cyclists to have "oven mitts" (what my youngest daughter called them) on the handlebars

3 - what's with the big inflatable rat and pig near construction sites on Fifth Ave.?
1- during wet/cold times the city puts salt down (for snow)... which hurts dogs feet. other reason- very occasionally, a manhole cover will become electrified and kill a dog or horse (central park horse cart horses). 

2- those are the best for the cold. gloves just don't work.

3- protesting NON-union labor. 

the only Drunk, Beligerent demographic in the City?

really?

different City than the one i've been in for 50 years. 

you're disputing drunk bros and sorority sisters are far more likely to be belligerent #######s than pot smoking...anybody? that's the city you've been living in for 50 years? you're right- it really must be a different city.

1- during wet/cold times the city puts salt down (for snow)... which hurts dogs feet. other reason- very occasionally, a manhole cover will become electrified and kill a dog or horse (central park horse cart horses). 

2- those are the best for the cold. gloves just don't work.

3- protesting NON-union labor. 
Pretty sure this is a myth. 

you're disputing drunk bros and sorority sisters are far more likely to be belligerent #######s than pot smoking...anybody? that's the city you've been living in for 50 years? you're right- it really must be a different city.

i asked why you only sourced them as "drunk/beligerent" when there are plenty other demos that fit that bill. 

i never said they were NOT WORSE THAN BONGERS, YO! 

deal with it.

i asked why you only sourced them as "drunk/beligerent" when there are plenty other demos that fit that bill. 

i never said they were NOT WORSE THAN BONGERS, YO! 

deal with it.
meh- they're the ones roaming the hood here every night and all weekend. that's the part of the city I live in. those are the ones that are routinely the problem here and wherever I'm out in other parts of the city. are there other drunk beligerent people... of course. en masse like this demographic? not that I see.

manhole covers def blow tf up on the regular - like one every few months, right? one outside my old Hell's Kitchen Apt (43rd St & 10th Ave) split in half when it blew up, and got sufficient altitude to dent the asphalt several  inches when it came down.

what a great trip! glad you guys experienced so much good stuff and had fun.

we just saw Six a couple months ago- really fun... but kinda "slight", especially compared to Hamilton or Evan Hanson. not what I would call great theater- more of a "review", but totally worthwhile. my wife got 14yo Floppinho a singing lesson (via zoom) with the actress who played Ann Bolyn... he sang the song Heart of Stone from the show in the lesson- so it was cool that it was something she knew well (even though it wasn't her song) and he could have that interaction.

yeah, they decriminalized smoking pot (and even shooting up... which is a whole other ball of wax), so morning noon and night it's weed.. no matter the neighborhood. somebody in this thread doesn't like it... but I don't care in the slightest. not like some cat is going to smoke up and then be a belligerent ##### afterwords, like all the ####### drunk bros and sorority sisters every night and all weekend.

too bad about the food.. but there's such a huge variety here- I don't know the places you went. and too bad you were restricted by your wife's girlfriend's diet. but cool you guys were observing it... and cool for you in the long run because... wife's girlfriend.

I am not a huge fan of decriminalization of weed and other drugs in public places.  I think private property is fine but honestly would rather not have it in parks, etc.  

What I really ####### hate though is the handful of times someone has gone and sit on my stoop to smoke weed.  Maybe I sound like an old man but get off my ####### property.  

manhole covers def blow tf up on the regular - like one every few months, right? one outside my old Hell's Kitchen Apt (43rd St & 10th Ave) split in half when it blew up, and got sufficient altitude to dent the asphalt several  inches when it came down.

we were just up Herald Sq. on Sunday for the Macy's flower show opening, a Spring tradition for our daughter ... we got out the City about 20 mins before the explosions. 

I am not a huge fan of decriminalization of weed and other drugs in public places.  I think private property is fine but honestly would rather not have it in parks, etc.  

What I really ####### hate though is the handful of times someone has gone and sit on my stoop to smoke weed.  Maybe I sound like an old man but get off my ####### property.  
I mean- I'm ambivalent at worst about weed. but people hanging on my stoop (if I had a townhouse like you do)... yeah- I get being ticked about that. 

I am not trying to be nitpicky but that wasnt a manhole cover. That was a square metal cover that was put on top of where a lightpost had been knocked over. Photos show it was bulging upward and seems rusty as heck so it looked like a very ill prepared temp measure. 

I cant seem to find any examples of manhole covers actually causing this issue. 

I found an incident in chicago where the dog owners claimed it was from a manhole cover, but it seems after testing it was also from a lightpost and a puddle that surrounded the post. They probably just saw a manhole cover nearby and since people hear about that they assumed it was the manhole cover. 

So there definitely seems to be some danger to getting electrocuted. But people should be avoiding random metal plates with bolts sticking out of them and puddles around lightposts. Not manhole covers, which are connected to manholes encased in concrete. 

Looks like a woman was killed in 2004 and that was also a lightpost or electrical box associated with a lightpost. 

Saw another story where people said a manhole cover was boiling water because of electricity, but that seemed crazy to me, especially since nobody got hurt. Seemed more like a tourist seeing steam coming out and somehow that became "boiling and popping water".

Strange observation on the subway shooting. I noticed where it happened was in a newer car with the blue seats but the car next to it had the old orange seats. Are they mixing up cars? Phasing out the old ones?

Strange observation on the subway shooting. I noticed where it happened was in a newer car with the blue seats but the car next to it had the old orange seats. Are they mixing up cars? Phasing out the old ones?
yeah- not sure if its a phasing out thing or not- but I see mix-matched cars all the time on the F, C and E trains.

yeah- not sure if its a phasing out thing or not- but I see mix-matched cars all the time on the F, C and E trains.
Ah, ok. The different videos were confusing me because of it. Didn't know they were mixing them up but also haven't been on the subway since covid hit.

otb_lifer said:
DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT THUNDER CLAP?

biggest i can remember in years ... it's looking Biblical out there rn 
I was with Floppinha in Williamsburgh inside a tennis bubble. it was massive... and the rain that came right after it- damn- sounded like it was going to smash the bubble.

I was with Floppinha in Williamsburgh inside a tennis bubble. it was massive... and the rain that came right after it- damn- sounded like it was going to smash the bubble.

kinda bummed that the storm went out with a whimper - was hoping it would prevent me from my after dinner run 🤔

(i finally went at eight) 😀 

Just got back from long weekend trip in NYC.

Managed to do Central Park, The Met, the show Plaza Suite, Chinatown, Little Italy, Brooklyn Bridge/DUMBO, Top of the Rock, Battery Park, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, 9/11 Museum, the Occulus and Chelsea Market and a few minor ones like the Dakota, Ed Sullivan theater, etc.

We walked an average of 11 miles for each of the three days we were there but also got around by subway.  We were actually pretty impressed with the efficiency and cleanliness of the subway.  I am not saying you could eat off the floor but they were in line with buses & subways I've been in other cities.  There was a strong police presence at some stations and none at all at others.  On two occasions we did encounter bums that were clearly drunk, mentally ill or both.   We just ignored them and fortunately did not have any issues.

We stayed at the Renaissance Times Square which was fine but if/when we visit again I don't think I would stay in Times Square.   It is a bit sleezy IMO, maybe a little more so than the Las Vegas strip and about par with Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

We did try a few "iconic" foods.  Pastrami at Katz was very good but didn't live up to the hype IMO.  I may have been turned off by the ridiculous way of ordering.   The hot dogs at Papaya King were good but not anything I would go out of my way for.  I wouldn't say that the tacos at Los Tacos #1 were the best I've ever had but they are pretty darn good.  We had pizza at RubiRosa that was outstanding and the cheesecake at the Brooklyn Diner was great.

Overall we had a really good time and we were glad we went.

Users who are viewing this thread