What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeVante Parker, Retired (2 Viewers)

Would have been a great grab for them since the WR pool is drying up. I have to assume they plan on burning 2-3 picks this year on Wide Receivers, unless they want to waste $50M this year on Aaron Rodgers. 
Fuller was reportedly in their plans. Not sure if that’s changed in a week, but he’d be a good fit.

like Parker, if he can stay healthy. Huge if. 

It sometimes feels like Belichick scouts offensive players, at least veterans, by how well they do against his defense. Parker has had a lot of success against NE. 

I'm expecting the WR pecking order in NE to go Parker>Meyers>Bourne>Agholor(if he stays)

I do wonder if this takes them out of rookie WR watch, at least in round 1-2.

Bourne would have put up WR1 numbers last year if NE had targeted him more. He had 800 yards on 70 targets. That was 78th in the league for targets. He added another 125 yards on the ground. 

By comparison, Bourne averaged 13.8 yds/touch. Deebo Samuel was at 13.0. The talk about NE needing a huge upgrade at receiver and a #1 WR is getting overblown. They already have an in house option for a lot less money than some of the other guys that were available. 

Bourne would have put up WR1 numbers last year if NE had targeted him more. He had 800 yards on 70 targets. That was 78th in the league for targets. He added another 125 yards on the ground. 

By comparison, Bourne averaged 13.8 yds/touch. Deebo Samuel was at 13.0. The talk about NE needing a huge upgrade at receiver and a #1 WR is getting overblown. They already have an in house option for a lot less money than some of the other guys that were available. 
I assume the 3rd rounder in 2023 was NEs regular pick and not a comp end of the round pick,, right? Parker doesn't give them a WR who can take off the top, but he's affordable for the next 2 years. Bourne was pretty good in 2021, as you mention.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree. I like the signing, but NEP doesn’t throw the ball enough to really sustain production for a WR to put up WR1 numbers. 

I don’t really expect that to change this year. Maybe if one expects Mac Jones to take a major leap in year two, but I’d bet on more of the same. 

Good move for the Pats...they needed more depth at WR  and with all the holes they have they get a little more draft flexibility...they also add a 2022 draft pick and because they have not done anything in free agency they will probably be able to negate the loss of a 2023 #3 with a comp pick or two...not an earth-shattering move but one that should be a positive in the short-term. 

BB was always better as the Saturday morning yard sale guy than a Blowing wads of FA cash guy. 

We’ll see I guess. Everybody is writing them off which used to be the sign of great things to come.

Another aspect of the trade is that Miami can better evaluate both the Unicorn, in his last chance, and Lynn Bowden. Bowden looked very good in the slot and the backfield during the end of 2020. He made some tough catches, found holes in the zone, and showed escapability. Bowden also had 2 PR TDs at Kentucky. I think he could solve that position. He was electric at UK.

https://youtu.be/oJON0WaYFbU

travdogg said:
It sometimes feels like Belichick scouts offensive players, at least veterans, by how well they do against his defense. Parker has had a lot of success against NE. 

I'm expecting the WR pecking order in NE to go Parker>Meyers>Bourne>Agholor(if he stays)

I do wonder if this takes them out of rookie WR watch, at least in round 1-2.
Hopefully. BB does not do drafting WR’s very well. 

Parker had some big games vs the Pat's as at least part of the reason they were interested in him.
A couple of big games in the last 5 years but many stinkers and underwhelming games with Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, and Tua at QB. Maybe Mac Jones and Belichick can maximize his talent. He is near bottom in separation, but has a big catch radius.

I like it, a step up from N'Keal Harry, who will most likely be dealt for a low round draft pick, or tossed out into the street.
If a team at any point offered any draft pick in any round in the next decade worth of drafts, Harry would already have been traded. The only way I can see Harry getting moved would be as a piece in a bigger trade. For example, NE might trade a prospect and Harry for another team's prospect that didn't work out. Basically, a two for one trade of guys that didn't fit. But no team will give up anything of value for Harry straight up.The whole league knows NE can't keep him and will have to release him. Why trade for him when he will be free in short order.

Jones is an accurate QB with a good backfield. That should open up some opportunities for a healthy Parker. Big negative here is Patricia as OC. Anyone else think Parker's ceiling is WR2 potentially?

Jones is an accurate QB with a good backfield. That should open up some opportunities for a healthy Parker. Big negative here is Patricia as OC. Anyone else think Parker's ceiling is WR2 potentially?
I'm on board. 80-1000-8 is doable with his talent in this offense. His problem is he can't stay healthy.

Are we expecting anything from Parker given the terrible off season the Pats have had?
While the Pats offense is working out some kinks in terms of blocking schemes (mostly running the football), I don't think the situation is as dire as the media has played it out to be. From what I can tell, when plays haven't worked, there's always one guy that misses an assignment, doesn't do what he's supposed to, or otherwise messes up. But it's not the same player each time and it's not the same thing that goes wrong. They just need to get on the same page, and I don't think that will be a long-term issue. They also have been trying some new concepts and schemes (which takes time). I expect when the bullets go live, they will run a lot of what they always have and slowly start adding in some new wrinkles (vs. practicing a lot of new wrinkles and not a lot of older stuff).

As far as Parker goes, I am not as sold as some others in this thread. By all accounts, Meyers should again be a target monster. Even though Bourne was mostly a no show in camp (he was last year as well), he plays much better in actual games (and was their most explosive player last year). Thornton looked great before getting hurt. Jonnu was targetd a ton in training camp as they try to get something out of him for his crazy contract. They have also tried getting Agholor the ball more (and he was said to be their top receiver this offseason). Add in (in theory) more targets to the backs, and IMO there are so many guys in the mix that none of them will put up great receiving totals.

As for the "but there's no offensive coordinator and the secondary coaches are bums" storyline, BB is the one pushing the buttons. He will take a more active role in getting the offense in gear. Patricia might be the one in Jones' ear, but Bill will get things sorted out. It might be tough sledding in the early going, but I think they will figure things out and be a Top 10 unit on offense again (partly because I think the defense will struggle).

Hard to say what volume Parker can get with new playcallers. I'm not overly high on him in redrafts but I thought he presented decent value in best balls as his ADP is pretty low in those formats. I think he has good weeks, it will just be tough to predict when those weeks are.

Someone has to catch the ball in NE, I’m amazed how late all their WR are going. Is he the guy, if not who do you like?

Someone has to catch the ball in NE, I’m amazed how late all their WR are going. Is he the guy, if not who do you like?

The reports on him during camp were pretty positive...if I had to pick one it would be him...Myers might be safer, but his upside feels limited (i.e. I think he is better in real football than fantasy)...this year is a total crap shoot with the Pats...I could see them anywhere from 5-11 wins (and I am not optimistic at all about the 11)...their offense was very rocky during preseason so the question becomes if it remains that way will it actually turn into a good one for fantasy with a ton of garbage points.

Thinking about dumping Parker for the upside of Christian Watson, but I cannot seem to get a read on where people value Parker. This off season has really been murky for both of these guys.

Here's what I see going on in NE. For starters, I think the pass / run split being projected is off. The Pats have not been able to run the ball for positive yardage very often in preseason games and joint practices. They have been trying to install a ZBS with very little success. The CB and LB group is probably not going to be a great man to man group, so they likely will be susceptible in the passing game. Add it all up, and sketchy running game, weaker defense, and many times struggling to stay in games = more passing attempts.

I think we see the training wheels come off for Mac Jones. Brady went from 413 attempts in Year 1 as a starter to 601 in Year 2. The 2002 team had similar issues (not great running the ball, porous secondary, behind quite a bit). It wouldn't shock me if Jones had 75-100 more passing attempts this year (he had 521 in 2021). Remember, Michael McCorkle didn't really practice with the first team offense last year until two weeks before the season started (after Cam Newton was released on cut down day).

The problem in NE is, they have a lot of decent receiving options but no one great. Parker, Bourne, Meyers, Agholor, Thornton is a better group of receivers than they've had in recent years. Henry and Smith will probably be better situated to contribute than coming in off the street last year. And (allegedly) Stevenson, Harris, and Montgomery will be more active out of the backfield.

I am not prepared to say that BB is pulling a rope a dope by having the offense look inept (and will come out against MIA looking great). I do think they are working through OL assignment and coaching process issues. I expect them to be a work in progress in September but will be a fully functional offense once Thornton comes back. He commanded a lot of coverage, was hard to stick with, and served as a deep threat in the time he was on the field. He opened up underneath stuff for everyone else.

As for who sees what amount of targets, good luck with that. I think they will game plan against each opponent and look to exploit matchups . . . meaning they will target one guy a lot one week but not go to him much the next two games. I don't think we will see a clear WR1 or WR2, and it will end up being a spread the wealth mentality.

With no one standing out, the offense said to be in disarray, and the media suggesting the needle is pointing down on NE, no one is really clamoring to draft NE receivers. Based on 3,000 MFL drafts and ADP info since 8/1 in 12 team redraft leagues . . . Parker WR45, Meyers WR58, Bourne WR70, Agholor (not in Top 98 WR), Thornton (not in Top 98 WR), Henry TE14, Smith (not in Top 37 TE).

Based on all that, someone has to catch the football. I can see Jones getting 4200-4300 yards and 28-30 TD. Maybe they will have multiple players with 400+ receiving yards to get to that combined total. I was optimistic that Bourne would be a great sleeper pick earlier in the summer. He was more productive per touch last year than Deebo Samuel . . . all he needed was more touches. He was the most explosive player on the NE offense. But reports out of camp reflect that he was not engaged and did close to nothing (and they were taking calls on trade offers). Bourne wasn't even a footnote during camp last year either, so I think he can turn the switch on and be a playmaker. Agholor earned rave reviews in camp last year and this year, but he disappeared in the regular season last year. He is known for having the dropsies, so even though he made some circus catches this summer, I expect the real Agholor will show up when it counts, and he will be unreliable.

That leads me to conclude that Meyers will probably be Mr. Reliable and see a lot of short targets and receptions. He probably won't see the end zone much, as they have better red zone threats and run the ball the most in the red zone out of any team in the league. Overall, all the NE guys are probably undervalued . . . but they may still not be great fantasy options. They will probably produce a fantasy WR3 each week . . . but it won't be the same guy from week to week. If people draft a guy with an ADP of WR60 and he ends up at WR40, sure, he outproduced his draft slot but may not be that great of an option to slot in your weekly lineup.

Starting Meyers in 1 league and Parker in another. Don't really want to, but have very limited options with a bunch of guys coming back from injuries (Godwin/Gallup etc.). Hoping Parker wants to show MIA he's still got some talent and gets a revenge TD or 2. But honestly would be happy with 5 for 68.

he was my last pick...why not? :shrug:
This ties in to what I was trying to convey. You usually aren’t going to start him. Then he’ll have a week with 6-90-2. Then you’ll start him and he’ll put up 2-22-0. Then he’ll go back to the bench and eventually he’ll have an 8-125-1 week that won’t count sitting on the bench. When you need him as a bye week fill in, then he’ll be nursing a hammy injury. It will be maddening.

DeVante Parker caught 1-of-2 targets for nine yards in the Patriots' Week 1 loss to the Dolphins.

Going against his former team, Parker was a fixture in two-wide sets alongside Jakobi Meyers, but Parker drew the Xavien Howard assignment all afternoon. On an end-zone target, Howard batted the ball away from Parker and into the hands of the safety for an interception. Parker will get another tough test against the Steelers in Week 2.

- NBCSportsEDGE

DeVante Parker failed to catch either of his targets Week 2 against the Steelers.​

Parker now has one catch on four targets through two games. Not getting any looks in a limited passing attack, there is not much reason to stash Parker.
Sep 19, 2022, 12:11 AM ET

DeVante Parker caught 5-of-10 targets for 156 yards in the Patriots' Week 3 loss to the Ravens.

Parker tormented the Ravens' secondary throughout the day, hauling in five catches of 25 or more yards on the afternoon. Despite the Herculean effort from Parker, the veteran receiver was unable to cap his breakout performance with a score. The absence of Jakobi Meyers (knee) undoubtedly played a role in Parker's big day, after he saw just four targets through the first two weeks of the season. He and quarterback Mac Jones appeared to have good chemistry throughout the day, which should help Parker see more opportunities in the coming weeks. Despite a tremendous performance, we should approach Parker with caution next week against the Packers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

WEEK 3 AIR YARDS LEADERS
  1. DeVante Parker (212 air yards)
  2. DeVonta Smith (205)
  3. Elijah Moore (186)
  4. Josh Reynolds (172)
  5. Kyle Pitts (165)
  6. Mark Andrews (152)
  7. DK Metcalf (150)
  8. Terry McLaurin (147)
  9. Diontae Johnson (146)
  10. Marquise Brown (140)

WEEK 3 AIR YARDS LEADERS
  1. DeVante Parker (212 air yards)
  2. DeVonta Smith (205)
  3. Elijah Moore (186)
  4. Josh Reynolds (172)
  5. Kyle Pitts (165)
  6. Mark Andrews (152)
  7. DK Metcalf (150)
  8. Terry McLaurin (147)
  9. Diontae Johnson (146)
  10. Marquise Brown (140)
1 of these things is not like the others

DeVante Parker caught 4-of-6 targets for 64 yards in the Patriots' Week 6 win over the Browns.

Parker picked up 29 yards early in the first quarter with a highlight reel reception. He elevated over Browns corner Martin Emerson to make an airborne catch on a jump-ball. The long reception propelled Parker to lead the Pats in receiving yards. He also finished second on the team in targets. Parker has generally taken a backseat to Jakobi Meyers when both have been active, and things will likely return to normal versus the Bears next week. Parker drafters can keep him on the bench for Week 7.

- NBCSportsEDGE

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports DeVante Parker suffered a knee sprain in the Patriots' Week 8 win over the Jets and could miss one game.​

Parker's Week 9 status is still up in the air, but it's believed the veteran receiver would only miss one game with the injury. The Patriots have a Week 10 bye before returning in Week 11 to face the Jets, which gives Parker a chance to recover without missing multiple games. Parker was injured on the first drive of Sunday's game against the Jets and didn't return to the field. His status will be one to monitor throughout the week.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Oct 31, 2022, 11:31 AM ET

DeVante Parker (knee) is not practicing Wednesday.​

Parker exited Week 8 early and never returned. In his absence, Jakobi Meyers, Tyquan Thornton, and Kendrick Bourne operated as the top three wideouts, with Nelson Agholor a distant fourth, running just 11 routes.
Nov 2, 2022, 1:12 PM ET

DeVante Parker (knee) was absent from practice on Thursday.​

It was reported at the start of the week that Parker could miss Week 9's matchup against the Colts after the veteran receiver left last week's game against the Jets. The veteran receiver reportedly suffered a knee sprain and could be sidelined this week with the team heading into a Week 10 bye. Should Parker miss this week, rookie wide receiver Tyquan Thornton could be in play as a deep FLEX. Last week, Thornton saw the second-most snaps (60) and ran the second-most routes (37).
Nov 3, 2022, 12:58 PM ET

DeVante Parker (knee) will not play in Week 9 against the Colts.​

Parker did not practice all week with the ailment, and with New England's Week 10 bye coming, it makes sense to give him some extra time to heal up. Kendrick Bourne and Nelson Agholor could be more involved in the Week 9 game plan with both of them off the injury report, but it's hard to recommend either of them in what looks like a low-scoring game.
Nov 4, 2022, 4:05 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports DeVante Parker (knee) is "hopeful" to play in Week 11 against the Jets.​

With New England on bye last week and Parker sitting out in Week 9, the veteran receiver has had nearly three weeks to recover from the knee injury. He got in a trio of limited practice sessions this week before being listed as questionable on Friday. Parker has topped 60 yards three times and been held under 25 yards on five occasions this season. He enters Week 11 as boom/bust WR5.
Nov 20, 2022, 9:44 AM ET

DeVante Parker (knee) is active for Week 11 against the Jets.​

Parker was able to practice this week in a limited fashion after missing Week 9 with a knee injury. He'll handle outside wide receiver duties this week, although his routes could be scaled back. In windy conditions against a strong Jets secondary, Parker is a high-risk FLEX option.
Nov 20, 2022, 11:39 AM ET

Patriots WR DeVante Parker is being evaluated for a head injury.​

Parker came up wobbly following a routine-looking reception in the first quarter. It wasn't until he lined up for the following play that his teammates got the attention of the officiating crew, after he couldn't stay in his stance. Parker was helped to the locker room and his return is questionable.
Dec 12, 2022, 8:47 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread