What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (4 Viewers)

Congrats to simey's boyfriend!!!
🥳 By the way, I read in the Miami Times today that your boyfriend said he has spent the off-season trying to decide if he should bring his hair part half of an inch further down, which would be right at his ear. 🤓

- "No Depression" by Uncle Tupelo is a great cover of The Carter Family original. UT doesn't dress it up, they just give it a better acoustic sound.
- Emmylou sounds great doing "When I Paint My Masterpiece." I dig the instruments in the song.
- Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox does a great slow burning jazz rendition of "Heart of Glass."
- Mitch Ryder and The Detroit Wheels get wild on their rendition of "Devil With A Blue Dress on." They sound like they are having a good time. I like Shorty Long's slower original, too.
- Faye Wong stays true to "Dreams" by The Cranberries, and does a nice job on the vocals.
- Gipsy Kings' cover of "Hotel California" makes me want to Salsa dance.
- I like the slow beat and fuzz sounds in Silkworm's cover of "Ooh La La."
- The Beastie Boys/Biz Markie sound drunk to me vocally on their live cover of "Bennie and the Jets."
- Luke Combs does a respectable cover of "Fast Car." His voice matches well with the tune.
- Chickenfoot rock out and have the pedal to the metal on their live scorching cover of "Highway Star."

- Sonic Youth are wired for sound on their trippy cover of "Ca Plane Pour Moi." Some of the sounds made my cat, Rizalina, run out of the room. 😸
- Sleepy LaBeef is having a rockabilly good time in his version of "Ring of Fire."
- The Communards put an 80s sounding spin on "Don't Leave Me This Way." I'd dance to it.
- Angelique Kidjo changes up "Crosseyed and Painless" and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return), and both are cool and creative.
- George Thorogood's cover of "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" is good and a staple of his. John Lee Hooker's original is my fav. 🥃
- Lea Salonga's cover of "Thank You For the Music" is purty.
- Listening to Annie Lennox sing "Whiter Shade of Pale" inspired me to finally look up what a vestal virgin is.
- "Cities" by Phish has a good groove to it. I wanted more shots of the crowd in the video and close-ups!

24.ee - Angelique Kidjo - "Crosseyed and Painless" (Talking Heads cover)

The original:
Talking Heads fourth album Remain in Light was a stylistic leap from their early records. The songs became more jam based with African-inspired polyrhythms and the addition of Adrian Belew's guitar sounds. "Crosseyed and Painless" is the middle track on the glorious side 1 of the album where the three songs swivels and bops as one.

The cover:
The Beninese singer Angelique Kidjo covered the Remain in Light album in its entirety. Most album-length covers are well intentioned but can't maintain the concept for the duration. Kidjo's Remain in Light works better than most because she reconnects the music to its African roots. Her version of "Crosseyed and Painless" features blaring Afrobeat horns and more percussion than the original.

Is the cover better than the original? Talking Heads are a tough band to cover because of their lyrics. When a different singer sings them, they sometimes come off like just a bunch of words. The same lyrics spoken in David Byrne's voice somehow become profound reflections on modern life. I've taken Talking Heads' Remain in Light to some of my desert islands and I'm taking it here.

Running scoreboard: Covers 12 - Originals 12

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) -- This was Thorogood's radio breakthrough, at least in Philly.

I had wanted to post the two originals before we moved on to the next round. It's probably well-known with this crew, but casual listeners may not be aware that Thorogood's song is actually a medley of John Lee Hooker's "House Rent Boogie" (1950) and Amos Milburn's "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer" (1953) -- and yes, the drinks are in a different order in the Thorogood title. For some that know it's a medley, they sometimes think it's two original Hooker songs because Hooker did cover "One Scotch" in the 1960s.

John Lee Hooker recorded "House Rent Boogie" many times -- his 1950 original is on YouTube, but not on Spotify. Look up the artist and title on Spotify, though, and you can find many of Hooker's re-recordings -- always done different from his original and from each other.

"One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer", Amos Milburn (YouTube)(Spotify). Positively silky compared to George Thorogood's smoker's rasp. Very different feel.

Twenty-Five-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

Can You Get to That - Mavis Staples (Funkadelic)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: two votes – Can You Get to That (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1)
Original artist: first vote

titusbramble:

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia (Lis Sørensen)
Song: three votes – Natalie Imbruglia (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Torn (3)
Original artist: three votes – Torn (3)

Pip’s Invitation:

Like a Hurricane – Roxy Music (Neil Young)
Cover artist: three votes – Jealous Guy (2); Like a Hurricane (1)
Original artist: 15 votes – Cortez the Killer (5); Down by the River (3); Heart of Gold (2); Like a Hurricane (1); Southern Man (1); Birds (1); Into the Black (1); Rockin’ in the Free World (1)

Dr. Octopus:

One More Cup of Coffee - The White Stripes (Robert Zimmerman)
Cover artist: five votes – Jolene (3); One More Cup of Coffee (1); I Just Don’t Know What to Do with Myself (1)
Original artist: 47 votes – All Along the Watchtower (7); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); I Shall Be Released (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

For the Good Times – Ray Price (Bill Nash. Kris Kristofferson also released it and wrote it)
Cover artist: first vote

Just Win Baby:

Wonderwall - Ryan Adams (Oasis)
Song: two votes – Ryan Adams (2)
Cover artist: four votes – Wonderwall (2); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); Style (1)
Original artist: three votes – Wonderwall (2); Don’t Look Back in Anger (1)

Galileo:

Jack-A-Roe - Grateful Dead (traditional traced to the late 1700’s)
Cover artist: seven votes – Jack-A-Roe (1); New Minglewood Blues (1); Turn on Your Love Light (1); Promised Land (1); Not Fade Away (1); Mama Tried (1); Big River (1); Monkey and the Engineer (1)
Original artist: N/A

Don Quixote:

La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf (Marianne Michel)

simsarge:

Just A Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody - David Lee Roth (Louis Prima)

Charlie Steiner:

Luck Be a Lady - Frank Sinatra (Robert Alda)

JMLs secret identity:

Chiquitita - Sinead O’Connor (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Cover artist: three votes – Chiquitita (1); The Foggy Dew (1); Nothing Compares 2 U (1)
Original artist: 24 votes – Chiquitita (1); Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

Cause We've Ended as Lovers (Live) - Jeff Beck (Stevie Wonder)
Original artist: seven votes – Higher Ground (3); Cause We’ve Ended as Lovers (1); Boogie on Reggae Woman (1); Superstition (1); Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (1)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Always on My Mind - Pet Shop Boys (Gwen McCrae)
Song: four votes – Pet Shop Boys (4)
Cover artist: three votes – Always on My Mind (4)
Original artist: three votes – Always on My Mind (4)

Ilov80s:

My Back Pages - The Byrds (Bob Dylan)
Cover artist: four votes – Mr. Tambourine Man (2); My Back Pages (1); Turn, Turn, Turn (1)
Original artist: 47 votes – All Along the Watchtower (7); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); One More Cup of Coffee (1); My Back Pages (1); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); I Shall Be Released (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

Eephus:

The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Iggy Pop)
Song: two votes – Angelique Kidjo (1); Phish (1)
Cover artist: three votes – The Passenger (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Dear Prudence (1)
Original artist: two votes – The Passenger (1); Search and Destroy (1)

The Dreaded Marco:

You Really Got Me - Van Halen (The Kinks)
Song: five votes – Van Halen (5)
Cover artist: eight votes – You Really Got Me (5); Pretty Woman (1); Ice Cream Man (1); Man on the Silver Mountain (1)
Original artist: eight votes – You Really Got Me (5); David Watts (1); Act Nice and Gentle (1); Apeman (1)

New Binky the Doormat:

We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder (The Beatles)
Song: four votes – Stevie Wonder (4)
Cover artist: five votes – We Can Work It Out (4); Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You) (1)
Original artist: 29 votes – We Can Work It Out (4); In My Life (3); While My Guitar Gently Weeps (2); Here Comes the Sun (2); Yesterday (2); Come Together (2); Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey (1); A Day in the Life (1); Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (1); She Came in through the Bathroom Window (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Eleanor Rigby (1); Got to Get You into My Life (1); Helter Skelter (1); Drive My Car (1); Dear Prudence (1); Across the Universe (1); She Said She Said (1); I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (1); Let It Be (1)

Andy Dufresne:

Hard to Handle – Black Crowes (Otis Redding)
Song: two votes – Hand to Handle (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Hard to Handle (2)
Original artist: four votes – Hard to Handle (2); Respect (2)

Twenty-Five-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

Waste - Dave Matthews Band (Phish)
Cover artist: 17 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Waste (1); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)

rockaction:

(I’m Not Your) Steppin’ Stone – The Monkees (Paul Revere and the Raiders)

Scoresman:

All Along the Watchtower - Bear McCreary (Bob Dylan)
Song: seven votes – Bear McCreary (2); Dave Matthews Band (2); Jimi Hendrix Experience (1); U2 (1); Neil Young & Booker T. and the MGs (1)
Cover artist: two votes – All Along the Watchtower (2)

Raging weasel:

Breadfan – Metallica (Budgie)
Cover artist: six votes – Whiskey in the Jar (2); Turn the Page (2); Breadfan (1); The Wait (1)

scorchy:

Ode to a Black Man - The Dirtbombs (Phil Lynott)

Mrs. Rannous:

I Gotsta Get Paid - ZZ Top (DJ DMD)

Mt. Man:

Sinnerman - Nina Simone (Traditional)
Cover artist: four votes – Sinnerman (1); Here Comes the Sun (1); Nobody’s Fault But Mine (1); I Put a Spell on You (1)
Original artist: two votes – You’ve Got a Friend (2)

Mister CIA:

She's Not There – Santana (The Zombies)
Cover artist: two votes – She’s Not There (1); Oye Como Va (1)
Original artist: two votes – She’s Not There (1); Time of the Season (1)

Val Rannous:

Gallows Pole - Page/Plant (Traditional)
Cover artist: first vote for Page; Plant: three votes – Gallows Pole (1); Darkness, Darkness (1); Killing the Blues (1)
Original artist: N/A

landrys hat:

California Dreaming - Lee Moses (Mamas & the Papas)
Song: three votes – Bobby Womack (2); Lee Moses (1)
Original artist: three votes – California Dreamin’ (3)

shuke:

Dramamine - Sun Kil Moon (Modest Mouse)

Doug B:

Stay - Jackson Browne (Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs)

DrIanMalcolm:

Trapped - Bruce Springsteen (Jimmy Cliff)
Original artist: two votes – Trapped (1); Many Rivers to Cross (1)

Chaos34:

Me and Bobby McGee - P!nk (Roger Miller) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Song: three votes – Janis Joplin (3)
Cover artist: two votes – Me and Bobby McGee (1); Lady Marmalade (1)
Original artist: three votes – Me and Bobby McGee (3)

higgins:

50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Lyle Lovett (Paul Simon) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Cover artist: four votes - Funny How Time Slips Away (2); 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (1); Friend of the Devil (1)

Oliver Humanzee:

Down by the River - Low & Dirty Three (Neil Young & Crazy Horse)
Song: three votes – Low & Dirty Three (1); Buddy Miles (1); Dave Matthews (1)
Cover artist: first vote each
Original artist: 15 votes – Cortez the Killer (5); Down by the River (3); Heart of Gold (2); Like a Hurricane (1); Southern Man (1); Birds (1); Into the Black (1); Rockin’ in the Free World (1)

krista4:

I Figured You Out – Elliott Smith (Mary Lou Lord)

#8 You've Got a Friend - James Taylor (Carole King)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

It almost goes without saying that this is another song where both the original version and the cover are phenomenal. Carole's version is a powerful song off a powerful album, though perhaps talking about Tapestry is best saved for another time and place. Taylor's cover is equally soft and sweet, with his performance coming off so strong, you might have thought that he wrote it himself. Needless to say that this is another tough call to make a favorite, and... well ,I don't have to, right? Okay, okay, if push came to shove, I'd slightly favor Taylor's, with the caveat that it could also depend on my mood. So it's an opinion as solid as oatmeal in an earthquake

At #7.. Well, it's been revealed, so that'll be next.

Uruk-Hai:

Can You Get to That - Mavis Staples (Funkadelic)
Cover artist: two votes – Can You Get to That (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1)
The original was on Maggot Brain, so you'd expect some kind of freakout - right? It's probably the most conventional song Funkadelic ever did. Though - because it's George Clinton - it contains some wrinkles. There are about 500 voices on it - some in unison and some in harmony. The instrumental part is basically what you'd expect if Stephen Stills and Sly Stone decided to write a gospel song together in 1971.

Mavis Staples' version stays pretty true to the original and the gospel feel is right in her wheelhouse - she kills it. I want to say Jeff Tweedy produced this, but I could be wrong.

#7 Sinnerman - Nina Simone (traditional)
Les Baxter: Spotify ; Youtube

The Wiki suggests that the oldest recording of this song is in 1956 by Les Baxter and his Orchestra, so that's what I went with for the "original". Though it seems that either Spotify doesn't have the original (likely) or it's just hard to search for (equally likley), leading to two different versions here. According to secondhandsongs, "Sinnerman" goes mostly by that title (including "Sinner man" and "Oh Sinner man"), which is nice. There's also 7 covers with the title "Downpressor Man" and others in foreign languages, leading to a total of 69 versions, which is nice.

Though really, I couldn't heap enough praise towards M-AD Don Quixote by putting Sinnerman #1 on the Nina Simone countdown. Chalk pick, but one I agree with. To me, Simone's version is the definitive one. Leading to perhaps less "didn't know it was a cover" and more "every other version feels like a cover of Simone's version". Though of course, this is a traditional spiritual song. This is its first appearance. Which makes me wonder: way too high or way too low? We shall see.

At #6, my only medley selection. Also a song where krista4 no doubt feels fortunate to be able to copy/paste the artist.

the most attractive female bass player

Would have made a great thread in the old days.
We still have the Pet Peeves I'm Oddly Attracted To thread.

I can't remember if I mentioned it yesterday, but it had crossed my mind that we could probably post anything we want in the Basketball Forum, at least up until a snitch comes along. I'm just the idea guy; somebody else needs to step up and start waving freak flags. Probably best to reuse an existing thread, so as to stay under the radar. @rockaction 's Dean Smith And The Four Corners And The Shot Clock would do nicely.

Pip’s Invitation:

Like a Hurricane – Roxy Music (Neil Young)
Cover artist: three votes – Jealous Guy (2); Like a Hurricane (1)
I thought I knew all the Roxy Music stuff, but I forgot about the High Road EP lol.
Got something to check out now
Don Quixote:

La Vie en Rose - Edith Piaf (Marianne Michel)
Amazing research here. Would never thought this was a cover
Eephus:

The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Iggy Pop)
Song: two votes – Angelique Kidjo (1); Phish (1)
Cover artist: three votes – The Passenger (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Dear Prudence (1)
Original artist: two votes – The Passenger (1); Search and Destroy (1)
Good choice
I think that covers the 3 best Siouxsie covers now. Any other contenders?

I was so ****canned that day that I thought I was gettng suspended and that people were in on my joke and speaking in code with me. It's really a good thing I quit booze. That was really mentally not a good place to be. I'm still smiling remembering how I thought I was cooked for a while. I forget what I had done to feel that way, but I was just gonzo.

7. Luck be a Lady - Frank Sinatra (Robert Alda)

Have to admit I got scooped; when I submitted this one, I only had Guys and Dolls as the original artist, completely unaware that Robert Alda was the original Sky Masterson, so credit to @krista4 for due diligence.

Hard to not like this song regardless of who sings it, but the way Frank sings a lady doesn't wander all over the room, and...blow on some other guy's....dice! Puts this version over the top for me.

Users who are viewing this thread