What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Garden is fun again: The Knicks are back, and it’s awesome (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
I grew up a big Knicks fan, watching many of the games and the exciting playoff runs in the 90s.  Grew up on Patrick, Oakley, Starks, and others, and hated the Bulls and Pacers.  That said, when they fell off, they became unwatchable.  Maybe the worst run franchise in all of sports. I stopped watching the Knicks, and the NBA altogether, for probably near a quarter century. 

This year I started hearing buzz, and I was skeptical.  Then I watched a game.  Then another.  Then I rekindled my MSG Network subscription and started watching near every game.  Holy crap, these Knicks are .... awesome.  They are FUN again. This is the ultimate team basketball.  It’s no more bloated rosters with self centered prima donnas—these guys have totally bought into Thibs’ system, and are thriving.  The biggest star is Randle, and he’s a pretty stoic personality — he reminds me a bit of Ewing actually in his demeanor.   He’s sort of the most underappreciated superstar in the NBA right now — dropped 44 last night to bring us a 5th straight win, and makes it look pretty easy.  He can do it all — shoot, rebound, defense, distribute the ball.  

Then you have a case of guys who were a band of misfits coming into this season.  The Knicks were surely going to be bad.  It’s like the team from The Natural, where they bring in this motley crew and yet they all click, and everyone starts playing above their individual heads but also as a TEAM they are just playing excellent team ball.

Maybe my favorite observation in watching these new Knicks is when I noticed what happens when any Knick hits the floor — 2 or 3 other players SPRINT over to help him up.  It’s obviously a TT thing that he’s installed as part of them being a team.  Same happens if a player goes down near the Knicks bench, you instantly see a bunch of guys JUMP up off the bench to hep them up.  So fun and cool to watch — nobody is too big, or too special, or too cool for anyone else.  They are all team.

And yet they’re still underdogs which also just makes them so much more incredibly fun to watch.  And I love that swarming defense, and I love that Thibs was a reject everywhere else in the league and couldn’t land a job because the league is all soft now and only wants “player’s coaches” who let them do whatever the hell they want and act like their buddies.  And I just the other day realized that he was an assistant coach to Jeff Van Gundy in those 90s teams I watched and loved, which explains the grit and hustle and defense and just makes it even better.

I’m rambling, I know.  But I’m just really excited I have a Knicks team I can root for again.  And this doesn’t look like a flash in the pan either (the last real dose of excitement in the garden was Linsanity, but that was short lived).  It’s young guys and centerpieces who all seem to genuinely like playing together and playing as a team, a new coach and new system that are working, and building blocks that can sustain this for years.  Barrett is starting to look like a real ball player.  IQ has been awesome and maybe the SOD.  Obi Toppin who some seem disappointed with has, I think, looked great in flashes.  Even Elfrid Payton who has been vilified in the local sports media I think has been great.  I could go on.

Bottom line, this is great.  I’m excited to watch the Knicks tomorrow to see if they extend this win streak to 6 games.  When was the last time I could have said that?  

Look out rest of the league.  I know there’s all sorts of silly excitement around teams like the Nets that just spend a bunch of money buying star power, but I much prefer the way the Knicks have done it, organically, and with utility guys here and there who are good pickups, and with it being about the team much more than the individuals.  

Would like to see a run here to 4th place, and then a fun playoff run.  A healthy Mitchell Robinson would have been damn nice to have for that run, and who knows, maybe he can still be back?  But we’ll take what we can get.

A few questions:

- Is Dolan (guy who banned Oakley?) still the owner?

- Is Isaiah Thomas in any way still affiliated with the team?

- You may not have been paying attention at the time, but what were your thoughts on Melo?

- The replays may disgust you but can you at least respect that whole Reggie Miller, 20 (or whatever) seconds, Spike Lee thing?

- Assuming you go to MSG on occasion to watch a game, what beverage/snack would a hawk buy?

- Favorite Knick enforcer from when you were a fan: Oakley, Mason or (for a short time) Xavier McDaniel? 

A few questions:

- Is Dolan (guy who banned Oakley?) still the owner?

- Is Isaiah Thomas in any way still affiliated with the team?

- You may not have been paying attention at the time, but what were your thoughts on Melo?

- The replays may disgust you but can you at least respect that whole Reggie Miller, 20 (or whatever) seconds, Spike Lee thing?

- Assuming you go to MSG on occasion to watch a game, what beverage/snack would a hawk buy?

- Favorite Knick enforcer from when you were a fan: Oakley, Mason or (for a short time) Xavier McDaniel? 
Oh man.  Some good questions.

- Is Dolan (guy who banned Oakley?) still the owner? Unfortunately yes.  But thankfully the rest of management is running the team now, and he is supposedly letting them do their thing.   

- Is Isaiah Thomas in any way still affiliated with the team?  Not in any way I’m aware of.  Good riddance.  

- You may not have been paying attention at the time, but what were your thoughts on Melo?  Never liked Melo.  That’s exactly the kind of prima Donna overspending we did for years.  I never liked trying to buy your way into relevance and it rarely worked.  The best analogy in sports for me is the Patriots.  Just good sound management, team first, you find value guys, you install a good system, and there’s success.  It’s the long game.  It feels like for decades the Knicks had been trying to buy their way into relevance.  

- The replays may disgust you but can you at least respect that whole Reggie Miller, 20 (or whatever) seconds, Spike Lee thing?  Some of the worst moments of my life.  God I hate Reggie Miller.  I lived and died through so many of those Bulls and Pacers series, and Reggie Miller was the worst.  What a cocky little punk.

- Assuming you go to MSG on occasion to watch a game, what beverage/snack would a hawk buy?  These days you can get whatever you want, right up to sushi.  The hawk move, though, is a beer and a dog.  Or several of each.

- Favorite Knick enforcer from when you were a fan: Oakley, Mason or (for a short time) Xavier McDaniel?  Oakley hands down.  Loved Mason during his time and Xman during his, but it’s hard to match Charles Oakley.  He was a bad, bad man.  

I have been watching as well after years of bitter disappointment. I am like you and grew up loving those 90s teams. I am still shocked how good Randle is.  When they signed him I never thought he was good enough to be a key piece to a top team but he seems like he is.  I also think Barrett has the chance to continue to grow into another one of those players. Though they really need another top player to count on to take it to the next level as the offensive can struggle at times.  I worry that Dolan is going to go #### it up when he goes and chases the first shinny new piece he sees. They need someone that will buy into the rest of this team and TT’s system. 

One player you didn’t mention is Quickley.  That guy was the steal of the draft and while he has struggled at times could be a great role+ player. Also, think they need to find more time on the court for Tobin. Agree he has shown flashes but he needs to play more even  if fighting for one of those key top 6 playoff spots. 

Big win in OT, 6 in a row. 
Another OT win, now 8 in a row.

I was pulling for them as I thought the Celtics could gain a game on the Knicks easier than 1.5 games on the Hawks, but I'm not so sure now.  The Knicks look tough.  Playing them in a series would be a chore.

I have been watching as well after years of bitter disappointment. I am like you and grew up loving those 90s teams. I am still shocked how good Randle is.  When they signed him I never thought he was good enough to be a key piece to a top team but he seems like he is.  I also think Barrett has the chance to continue to grow into another one of those players. Though they really need another top player to count on to take it to the next level as the offensive can struggle at times.  I worry that Dolan is going to go #### it up when he goes and chases the first shinny new piece he sees. They need someone that will buy into the rest of this team and TT’s system. 

One player you didn’t mention is Quickley.  That guy was the steal of the draft and while he has struggled at times could be a great role+ player. Also, think they need to find more time on the court for Tobin. Agree he has shown flashes but he needs to play more even  if fighting for one of those key top 6 playoff spots. 
Oh I mentioned IQ. And I love him. The guy bombs those threes from way out, so fun. He’s like a kid out there. 

The winning streak was fun; the loss to Phoenix was maddening, but the bounce back win against the Bills was fun again. I’ve found how the Knicks are doing affects my mood. That’s hasn’t happened in decades. Lots of cursing at the screen in my house; but also lots of giddy clapping.  gosh darn this is so much fun. 

Most fun team in the NBA to root for right now. Just a bunch of hard working, team playing, over achievers. Can’t wait for this road trip. 

Users who are viewing this thread