What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: French Open wide open (7 Viewers)

Good news is Alcaraz says he was cramping rather than a pulled muscle. Says tension of the match got to him. Looks like Ruud is in control to make his third Major final (Loss to Nadal French '22, Loss to Alcaraz '22 US Open)

first 2 sets were pretty epic but too bad on the injury, Joker's fitness is ridiculous and Alcarez not there yet
It’s crazy that a 36-year-old can outlast a kid who just turned 20.

I doubt their fitness levels differ much, but Joker‘s experience really helped out here. In nearly 90 degree heat, he was smarter by maximizing time inside, and in the shade. I bet he is better with hydration, too.

He probably is more willing to suffer as well.

But Alcaraz has plenty of time to learn.

Does anyone think Rudd has a chance? Gotta be a little demoralizing to reach your third Grand Slam final as an afterthought, though he hasn’t exactly looked inspiring in the prior finals.

first 2 sets were pretty epic but too bad on the injury, Joker's fitness is ridiculous and Alcarez not there yet

I doubt their fitness levels differ much, but Joker‘s experience really helped out here. In nearly 90 degree heat, he was smarter by maximizing time inside, and in the shade. I bet he is better with hydration, too.

Does anyone think Rudd has a chance? Gotta be a little demoralizing to reach your third Grand Slam final as an afterthought, though he hasn’t exactly looked inspiring in the prior finals.
Not looking good for Ruud at 0-4 and no sets won vs Djokovic. Only positive is oddly those four matches all happened in Italy at Rome Masters 1000 or Tour Finals. Rune in the QF was his first top ten win in a best of five. Medvedev won his major in his third final after losing previous ones to Nadal and Djokovic and the third was Djokovic going for the Grand Slam so also went into it as an afterthought. However if memory serves Medvedev was still thought of going into that match as more of a threat than Ruud looks to present.

Alcarez's body basically broke down a couple hours in, sure experience is a factor, but not sure what you'd call it if not fitness

Alcarez's body basically broke down a couple hours in, sure experience is a factor, but not sure what you'd call it if not fitness
There are many components to fitness, but I’m mainly thinking about physical strength and cardiovascular endurance. I don’t think either of those failed Alcaraz, nor do I think Djokovic is superior in those dimensions.

Alcaraz cramped up, because he didn’t manage the heat as well. Part of it was probably hydration and electrolyte intake. And part was Joker‘s game-plan, which promoted Alcaraz running in the heat. But I also think he didn’t take advantage of cooling opportunities as well as the veteran. That‘s experience, not fitness.

And Alcaraz likely squandered energy due to the stress of playing Djokovic. He probably overgripped his racket, for example. I bet his resting heart rate was higher, even though it isn’t worse than Joker’s under “normal” conditions. So yeah, Djokovics is more mentally “fit”.

But if you put the two guys side-by-side on a stationary bike, or compared performance in a gym, I doubt Joker would prevail. IMO, Alcaraz will improve more by paying attention to the little things I mention, than exercising to improve fitness.

Last edited:

There are many components to fitness, but I’m mainly thinking about physical strength and cardiovascular endurance. I don’t think either of those failed Alcaraz, nor do I think Djokovic is superior in those dimensions.

Alcaraz cramped up, because he didn’t manage the heat as well. Part of it was probably hydration and electrolyte intake. And part was Joker‘s game-plan, which promoted Alcaraz running in the heat. But I also think he didn’t take advantage of cooling opportunities as well as the veteran. That‘s experience, not fitness.

And Alcaraz likely squandered energy due to the stress of playing Djokovic. He probably overgripped his racket, for example. I bet his resting heart rate was higher, even though it isn’t worse than Joker’s under “normal” conditions. So yeah, Djokovics is more mentally “fit”.

But if you put the two guys side-by-side on a stationary bike, or compared performance in a gym, I doubt Joker would prevail. IMO, Alcaraz will improve more by paying attention to the little things I mention, than exercising to improve fitness.
all that kinda seems to fall under the umbrella of fitness to me, mental, physical, knowing how to maximize endurance but i guess we'll have to agree to disagree

all that kinda seems to fall under the umbrella of fitness to me, mental, physical, knowing how to maximize endurance but i guess we'll have to agree to disagree
That’s fine. Djokovic is certainly in phenomenal shape, and Alcaraz has room to improve. Just a shame the intensity of the first two sets couldn’t be maintained the entire match.

So annoying.

But the fact that none of the young studs have been able to break through after all these years pretty much undoes all the "it's the balls, it's the courts" etc stuff. We just happened to have the 3 of the top 4 or 5 players of all time with overlapping careers in the last 20 years.

And Djokovic is going to end up being the GOAT.

So annoying.

But the fact that none of the young studs have been able to break through after all these years pretty much undoes all the "it's the balls, it's the courts" etc stuff. We just happened to have the 3 of the top 4 or 5 players of all time with overlapping careers in the last 20 years.

And Djokovic is going to end up being the GOAT.

It would be interesting to know why the US Open is different from the other three.

Federer won his first Australian Open in 2004, only Safin in 2005 and Wawrinka in 2014 broke through
Nadal won his first French in 2005, only Wawrinka in 2015 broke through
Federer won his first Wimbledon in 2003, Murray in 2013 and 2016 only one to break through
Federer won his first US Open in 2004, won 5 straight, to 2008 and never won again. Since 2009 Nadal 4 wins, Djokovic 3 wins, seven guys 1 win so the big three only won 50% of the last 14.

As for Djokovic, what's left? One more try this year at the Grand Slam. Obvious favorite at Wimbledon. However 3-6 in US Open Finals. He'd walk in as a favorite but the US Open history says the greatness of those guys there isn't close to automatic like the other majors.

2024 Olympic Gold which will be at Roland Garros. The guy has at least three of every major, at least 2 of every Masters 1000, 6 Tour Finals, but the Gold has eluded him. Wouldn't be shocked if he skipped Wimbledon next year to go all in on the Gold if Google has the right dates of Wimbledon July 1st - 14th and Olympics July 26th to August 11th. Though that might depend if he wants to pass Federer's 8 Wimbledon's as he sits on 7.

Every time I turn this on, players are just packing up their bags and walking off the court. Like 6 or 7 times now. Frustrating.

Medvedev & Eubanks locked in a war of attrition. 5-5 in the 4th set, but Medvedev is down 2 sets to 1.
Eubanks really spit the bit, though he was probably playing a bit over his head anyway. Good for him and hope he continues to rise. Need more great young talent as the big 3 slow down/retire.

Medvedev & Eubanks locked in a war of attrition. 5-5 in the 4th set, but Medvedev is down 2 sets to 1.
Eubanks really spit the bit, though he was probably playing a bit over his head anyway. Good for him and hope he continues to rise. Need more great young talent as the big 3 slow down/retire.
Yeah, Eubanks just ran out of gas. I thought I saw somewhere that he's 27 years old, which is an "old" age to rise these days. What an odd build he has - he's like 6'7" and weighs about 150 lbs. His arms are like 8' long and he can whip it when he torques up.

Anyway, apparently he's a really good dude. It was fun following him in this tournament.

My son got home last weekend after a few weeks in London for a summer course. He and his buds got up at 6am last Friday, their last day there, to get in the queue for Wimbledon entry. They have daily tickets for 25 pounds, as people exit they allow others in. They brought blankets to lie on and caught a few hours of hungover sleep on a massive lawn where they and several thousand others waited for their number to be called. After 7 hours they got in, with access to every part of the grounds except Centre Court. They promptly snuck into Centre Court and caught the 3rd set of the Alcaraz's 2nd rd match vs Muller, then caught a few other matches elsewhere. He was not a tennis fan whatsoever prior but said it was an awesome experience, an amazing/unique atmosphere. He was blown away by how athletic these guys and gals are - has been watching whenever he can since returning.

I'm a big Joker fan, but Alcaraz is so much fun to watch.

Plays such a varied type of game.

He's just about 1b for me,,,,

If Carlito can pull out this set, I think he has a legit chance to win.

The question is whether he can harness his youth and energy enough to overcome Novak's consistency and savviness. Carlito playing pretty well in this second set.

Made an omelette, pour over cup of coffee, left the kids at the pool and they still haven’t finished this one game.

Slackers.

Users who are viewing this thread