What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 46 - Episode Nine - They Can Cancel Christmas! (1 Viewer)

So glad Gem was gone. What a complete *****. She thought she was all that and wanted to **** around with people. Even getting bit by ants didn’t matter to her. I was getting pissed that no one pointed out that Tim exposed her as likely having the idol or that she was the first one to hunt for an idol when everyone knew someone found it because they had the beware paper. They must have kept what they showed to only her intimidation with the machete because it still left it open that Maria would vote with the women. I’m assuming Maria also didn’t use her extra vote, can’t recall.

Anyway, Gem seemed like a lady **** so glad she’s gone and that her exit interview was her trying to look good still.

So glad Gem was gone. What a complete *****. She thought she was all that and wanted to **** around with people. Even getting bit by ants didn’t matter to her. I was getting pissed that no one pointed out that Tim exposed her as likely having the idol or that she was the first one to hunt for an idol when everyone knew someone found it because they had the beware paper. They must have kept what they showed to only her intimidation with the machete because it still left it open that Maria would vote with the women. I’m assuming Maria also didn’t use her extra vote, can’t recall.

Anyway, Gem seemed like a lady **** so glad she’s gone and that her exit interview was her trying to look good still.
She said she was holding the machete in the Ben scene because it happened when she was trying to dig up the idol.

But her trying to talk game with Ben and Tim (and saying the exact same thing to them) at the last minute after ignoring them for 11 days is a textbook case of putting a target on yourself.

Targeting Ben instead of Tim was probably a huge mistake for the women. Charlie absolutely did not want Ben to leave and persuaded Maria on that. I don’t think he would have pushed back as much if Tim was the target.

With the writers strike going on and football over, I power watched a lot of the seasons recently so I think I could just about name the all in order. I took a quick look at the quiz and there are about 3 I would have to guess on. If it gave the winners, I'm pretty sure I could do it.

With the writers strike going on and football over, I power watched a lot of the seasons recently so I think I could just about name the all in order. I took a quick look at the quiz and there are about 3 I would have to guess on. If it gave the winners, I'm pretty sure I could do it.
Now do it after only 500 calories a day for 10 days with little good sleep :)

I will freely admit I could never do survivor. I don't even like camping in a tent.

I didn't watch as intensely this week because I was driving, so the episode title is a little weak. Lots of focus on Venus and Mo this week. That looked like it was going to be a blowout of a challenge, but puzzles are the great equalizer. I still thought Purple had it because Hunter is a closer (and again Tevin made that known to people), but what a great effort put forth by Orange. Siga completely misplayed their hand by being so obviously defensive in not putting Mo's name out there. I thought Q did a really good job when he questioned Mo and said "Why did you lie to me about the unanimous vote earlier". I'm still not sure why she lied, basically trying to trick them into thinking they were a unified tribe when she knew she was at the bottom. Venus did herself no favors by upsetting the apple cart by trying to change it to Charlie, but she was correct in that Charlie would have been a more strategic vote. She also ended any chance to work with Q, who wanted to send her back to Canada.

As @Mile High mentioned, Charlie wisely voted for Venus. If Mo's Shot in the Dark had worked, anyone was vulnerable. His going off script for insurance was a good move, he knew that she was gunning for him anyway so he wasn't losing an ally there.

Soda is gona yesssssssssssssssssss. Tim sealed his own grave there.

Now does "the six" become "the four" or does maria pull in Charlie as the one she'd have rather had anyway?

Now does "the six" become "the four" or does maria pull in Charlie as the one she'd have rather had anyway?
the later imo

and for some reason, it feels like Q is setting himself up to get voted out sooner rather than later.

the later imo

and for some reason, it feels like Q is setting himself up to get voted out sooner rather than later.
Please. He’s really grating and just not that good of a player.
Yeah there's a couple, like it's a theme almost, of folks this season who I think intellectually often have a good strategy but the people skills are just awful. Venus and Q lead among them. I see so much of myself in Q sometimes - like when Tiff is worried abut Ben playing something, I too would be like "ok, so you wanna vote Tim?" and then when she says no, I too would be like, "Ok, so we're voting Ben?" and like omg that would be frustrating. Where either the camera doesn't show it, or where i think I would do better, is the ability to say - "man I can tell I'm getting a little worked up - let me just breathe for a second, I'm just so excited! What do you want to do, and why?"

the later imo

And does anybody really believe Q when he said he threw the challenge because doesn't want to be seen as a physical threat, and wanted to see if the vote would go his way ? He is so full of it. Loved that he was not in the loop on the plan to vote Soda out rather than Venus.

Best episode of the season.

I think the winner is one of Charlie, Maria, Tevin, Tiffany or Kenzie. A lot has been shown from their perspectives and they don't have any major red flags.

Hunter has done a poor job of hiding his threat level. He will probably win if he gets to the end, but he will likely need to Mike Holloway it to do so. However, that he appears solid with the Yanu 3 is a good sign. OTOH, hiding in a tree (as seen on the promo for next week) is probably not good.

Q is too obvious of a leader/coach and his constant big-brain plans and changing of his mind is starting to wear on his closest allies, Tiffany and Kenzie. I would not be surprised if this results in Tiffany choosing Kenzie over him when it comes time for the Yanu 3 to break up. And they will break up, because this cast has seen 44.

It's clear that everyone loves Ben and he has a good shot to win if he gets to the end. But we have seen almost zero from him from a strategy perspective and now his closest ally is gone. To me that screams "taken out for being a social threat."

Venus is an ungodly combination of Jake (wanting to make Big Movez without accruing the social capital to do so) and Abi-Maria (rubbing everyone the wrong way). The question is, will she be dragged to the end like Jake or cut beforehand like Abi-Maria because the other contestants can no longer stand her?

Liz is your more traditional zero-vote finalist candidate. We have seen little from her other than her weirdness and overconfidence. She helped blindside Soda but we were never told why -- we heard from Hunter that she hated Soda, but we never were shown this for ourselves. There's absolutely no way the show would ever edit a winner like this. Even Erika's incoherent winner edit made more sense than a Liz winner edit would.

the later imo

And does anybody really believe Q when he said he threw the challenge because doesn't want to be seen as a physical threat, and wanted to see if the vote would go his way ? He is so full of it. Loved that he was not in the loop on the plan to vote Soda out rather than Venus.
Part of me actually does, because for years I have talked about that being a strategy that it's weird nobody ever does. Like my goal would be to avoid being seen as Hunter, but use the tribe + early individual immunities to make sure I understand the puzzles, have a good sense of balance and those pieces so I can be ready, but also manage threat level.

There's also something to NOT being second or third a bunch. Like one of these "pretty sure a girl or skinny yoga dude wins" challenges - I'm probably acting like it's super hard for me and dropping quick.

Hunter has done a poor job of hiding his threat level. He will probably win if he gets to the end, but he will likely need to Mike Holloway it to do so. However, that he appears solid with the Yanu 3 is a good sign. OTOH, hiding in a tree (as seen on the promo for next week) is probably not good.
Holloway still my favorite winner wish he had done WaW.

Holloway still my favorite winner wish he had done WaW.
He was in casting for WaW but was cut (in contrast to some winners who were never contacted). That he had made some controversial comments on social media probably didn't help.

the later imo

Yeah there's a couple, like it's a theme almost, of folks this season who I think intellectually often have a good strategy but the people skills are just awful. Venus and Q lead among them. I see so much of myself in Q sometimes - like when Tiff is worried abut Ben playing something, I too would be like "ok, so you wanna vote Tim?" and then when she says no, I too would be like, "Ok, so we're voting Ben?" and like omg that would be frustrating. Where either the camera doesn't show it, or where i think I would do better, is the ability to say - "man I can tell I'm getting a little worked up - let me just breathe for a second, I'm just so excited! What do you want to do, and why?"
of course it could be the editing, but he just comes across as an alpha douche. when in actuality he’s just not that good/nice/athletic/etc.

He has some very good game points and strategies but is awful at executing them.

and no i don't think Q threw the challenge :rolleyes:

I think the winner is one of Charlie, Maria, Tevin, Tiffany or Kenzie. A lot has been shown from their perspectives and they don't have any major red flags.

Q is too obvious of a leader/coach and his constant big-brain plans and changing of his mind is starting to wear on his closest allies, Tiffany and Kenzie. I would not be surprised if this results in Tiffany choosing Kenzie over him when it comes time for the Yanu 3 to break up. And they will break up, because this cast has seen 44.

It's clear that everyone loves Ben and he has a good shot to win if he gets to the end. But we have seen almost zero from him from a strategy perspective and now his closest ally is gone. To me that screams "taken out for being a social threat."

Venus is an ungodly combination of Jake (wanting to make Big Movez without accruing the social capital to do so) and Abi-Maria (rubbing everyone the wrong way). The question is, will she be dragged to the end like Jake or cut beforehand like Abi-Maria because the other contestants can no longer stand her?

Liz is your more traditional zero-vote finalist candidate. We have seen little from her other than her weirdness and overconfidence. She helped blindside Soda but we were never told why -- we heard from Hunter that she hated Soda, but we never were shown this for ourselves. There's absolutely no way the show would ever edit a winner like this. Even Erika's incoherent winner edit made more sense than a Liz winner edit would.
Agree on your 5 possibilities for winner. Thinking it's probably one of the girls. Don't think they are the final five.

Agree on your 5 possibilities for winner. Thinking it's probably one of the girls. Don't think they are the final five.
One or both of Liz or Venus will be in the final five. For a long time now, on most seasons, the cast identifies in the early merge one or more people who can't win and doesn't bother targeting them.

Finally got a chance to watch. Really loved the episode, and I appreciate how the producers keep finding ways to make it interesting. I really love the random divides, although if I was on the show it would drive me nuts to (hopefully) build an alliance only to get randomly put in a bad spot. Hunter was in that spot, clearly a physical threat, but he's done a good job of keeping his strategic side quiet. I was wondering if the producers gave us a little foreshadowing when Q said "No one goes on an immunity run". He could do it, and kept his own idol safe in the process. He's playing a great game, but as others have pointed out, his challenge prowess is just too far out there. He should play the idol most likely the next time he's vulnerable.

Q on the other hand trying to take credit for "throwing" the challenge so he doesn't seem like a threat was a cop out. He didn't throw that challenge. He has rubbed too many people the wrong way with his commanding presence, and the flip flop on Tim/Ben shows he was unstable. Tim cooked his own goose by making it so obvious he was playing both sides, 2 weeks in a row. I'm not even sure what caused Q to flip to Ben quickly after one conversation, Tim's plan was obvious.

Tiff is so solid, seemingly always in control of her emotions. I can see Kenzie replacing Q as Tiff's number 1, she does a great job at making connections. The only threat there is that Tiff knows Kenzie makes those connections, and that isn't the best for her game.

Ben is interesting because people seem to genuinely like him, but they point out that he's loved by all as a detriment. I think he only sticks around if he can be in the Maria/Charlie alliance.

Maria is just awesome and loved seeing her win the challenge. The way she handled Venus was just masterful, and it provided a stark contrast to how Venus views herself. Charlie has a great alliance mate in her, because I think they will both be loyal to the end.

I love Tevin's game. He did a great job arranging the blindside, and then played an insurance vote on Venus just in case an idol or shot in the dark was played. The look on his face was priceless as Venus took the Olenna Tyrell path of "It was me" (except, you know, that it really was Olenna who did it in GoT). The only person she fooled was herself, I think she genuinely thought "Well they came around to my line of thinking" and took the credit that Soda gave her.

Ah Soda, I liked your energy coming out of the gate, but you played too strong. In her mind, it had to be Venus who orchestrated it because she thought everyone else loved her. You have to know when you are coming off too strong, and I think she missed that in the game and probably misses it in real life.

Tiers:
Most likely to win:
Maria, Tiff, Tevin - I think they are all playing a great game and are the strongest reps from their respective alliances. Maria and Tiff's games are very similar, in that they are quietly and calming leading. Tevin is a little more out there with his move making.

Final Four bound:
Kenzie, Charlie - Either could win, but they'll need the lead of their alliance to get taken out. Kenzie in particular has a really good chance and I almost put her in the previous tier. Great relationship maker and sneaky enough to cut people. I think people already know that though so they will get her before end. I don't think Charlie can beat Maria, and I don't think he'll participate in cutting her.

Goats/Villains:
Liz and Venus. Both are severely lacking in self awareness that I imagine plagues them in real life. Liz is self delusional who somehow thinks the world bows down to her, and Venus plays the victim when things don't go her way. One or both of these could make the end, however, as neither would get even a single vote (unless Soda truly believes that Venus is a puppet master genius).

Social player who could sneak into the Final Four:
Ben is really likable, and has a path to the final four if he can solidify with Charlie and Maria, but I think his social profile is just too high and people will take him out. I don't think he can win any challenge.

Physical threat who will get booted when vulnerable:
Hunter is a great player, and did a great job of keeping advantages quiet. But after he plays his idol his threat level is just too high

Physical threat in appearance only:
Q looks the part but it just has not translated. His alliance plan of 6 was actually a great idea, but Tim screwed it up. His flip flop nature and barking orders erratically will lead to an exit before final four.

About the "divides", I kind of see it as a compromise on extra tribe swaps early. Some seasons, they used to start with 3 tribes, then swap down to 2, then merge... other times it's two tribes to start, then swap to two new tribes, then merge. Now we're getting like the idea people used to ask for years ago when they wanted two tribes on the same beach or randomized every challenge. So instead of extra swaps it's divides at the challenges, it does shake up the dynamic which prevents the middle game from being boring.

Finally got a chance to watch. Really loved the episode, and I appreciate how the producers keep finding ways to make it interesting. I really love the random divides, although if I was on the show it would drive me nuts to (hopefully) build an alliance only to get randomly put in a bad spot.

At this point, if you are going to bother to go through the casting process, you have to know, and accept, that this has a chance of happening. It's just part of the structure of the game now.
Q on the other hand trying to take credit for "throwing" the challenge so he doesn't seem like a threat was a cop out. He didn't throw that challenge. He has rubbed too many people the wrong way with his commanding presence, and the flip flop on Tim/Ben shows he was unstable.

He's spastic and delusional, and it makes him great television.
Q looks the part but it just has not translated. His alliance plan of 6 was actually a great idea, but Tim screwed it up. His flip flop nature and barking orders erratically will lead to an exit before final four.

I wouldn't be surprised if he exits next week. Yanu is now about the same size as the other two starting tribes and even his closest allies are starting to get tired of his act.

Finally got a chance to watch. Really loved the episode, and I appreciate how the producers keep finding ways to make it interesting. I really love the random divides, although if I was on the show it would drive me nuts to (hopefully) build an alliance only to get randomly put in a bad spot.

At this point, if you are going to bother to go through the casting process, you have to know, and accept, that this has a chance of happening. It's just part of the structure of the game now.
Q on the other hand trying to take credit for "throwing" the challenge so he doesn't seem like a threat was a cop out. He didn't throw that challenge. He has rubbed too many people the wrong way with his commanding presence, and the flip flop on Tim/Ben shows he was unstable.

He's spastic and delusional, and it makes him great television.

I wouldn't be surprised if he exits next week. Yanu is now about the same size as the other two starting tribes and even his closest allies are starting to get tired of his act.
Tiff and Kenzie aren’t turning on Q that quick. I do think that Tiff will dump Q first now just due to the liability but all they have to do is vote with Nami folks like Tevin/Hunter/Liz and they run the game the next few weeks. Only Maria’s immunity is a problem. But then you sacrifice Venus.

Q is such a delusional and immature person. Was really hoping they would have granted his wish and sent his butt home. He flip-flops constantly, yet gets annoyed when others do the same. Claiming to play hide-and-seek to better analyze the competition. Oh no, Hunter was creative and climbed a tree. He needs to go home !

What a frustrating ending to an enjoyable episode. Hide and Seek was awesome, mainly due to Q's commentary. No matter what someone did in the game, it was a BIG MISTAKE in Q's book. The only person who won was Q, because in his mind they were all playing his game. Lots of fun. Q had a right to be angry about the rice. He should have said "Look around, ain't no one beating Hunter in this challenge, so lets have some rice". Poor decision on the group's part.

Super emotional Q then targets Tiff after she brings up someone in the 6. That was a bad move on Tiff's part as well, as she just saw the previous tribal he was willing to cut anyone not faithful to the 6. At the end before tribal, and you see that the votes have gone towards Tevin, why mention it to Hunter at all? You can't tell someone "Don't say anything" because they are immediately going to go say something. Hunter shows that he has zero social skills at all by then pulling "his votes" in and chats in front of everyone, gesturing towards them. Just terrible gameplay.

Q is absolutely a quitter who is getting embarrassed on the show, and I think he tried to take "an honorable self sacrifice exit" like the guy from last year. He has no allies, he has no shot to win an immunity as he has sucked at just about every challenge, and I'm not even sure how many votes he'll get cast on him because people are just writing him off as a flake. Really disappointing showing by Q.

Well, I had Tevin in a "great chance to win" tier last week and that burned up quickly. Moreover, his downfall was Liz, who I didn't think had any pull. His arrogance in just laughing at Venus in front of Liz just lit a fire underneath her.

I really don't understand why Maria didn't take the chance to shoot the shot at Tiff. Tiff targeted her, and Maria knows about her idol. Charlie further screws things up by letting Tiff know that they know about her idol. That was a great shot at a blind side, and I don't think Tiff will sleep on that again. Tiff will double down with Kenzie and start pulling people in. Hunter has to play the idol the first time he is vulnerable. He has no one. I didn't hear one person cheer for Hunter on the pole. Even if he makes it to the finals by going on an immunity run, I don't think he'll get many votes except for perhaps Tevin (since Hunter was loyal) and Q (because he fancies himself a challenge beast like Hunter and will want to reward that).

Lastly, Q was presumably saying he didn't want to take Tevin's spot because of his mistake. Then he voted for Tevin. Awful, terrible player. Can't spell quitter without Q.

So dumb. Q has no game. So he throws himself on the sword and means it. But they voted Tevin out so he will claim it was on purpose. Just like I’m sure he’ll say lasting 20 seconds was on purpose. Hey-O!

Tevin seems like a good human.

What a frustrating ending to an enjoyable episode.
Oh no. This may have been the best episode of the new era from an entertainment perspective. Including the ending. It would have been anticlimactic for someone like Venus or Liz to go home, because then you're left with "all that just to get a non-contender out?" The payoff needed to be a big threat leaving, and that's what we got.

Q is Coach- and Debbie-level delusional. He has asked to be voted out several* times when things haven't gone his way. I didn't think they'd cast someone like that in the new era, but here we are. Eventually we are going to look back and wonder how the hell Q, Bhanu, Jess and Jelinsky ended up on the same tribe.

* - regular definition, not Jelinsky definition

Q had a right to be angry about the rice. He should have said "Look around, ain't no one beating Hunter in this challenge, so lets have some rice". Poor decision on the group's part.
It was a reflection that they don't trust each other, possibly to an extent not seen in the new era. Given how we've seen them play the game and interact with each other, it made perfect sense.

Probst said during one of his pregame interviews that this was the first cast that had found ways to work around some of the twists and tropes of the new era. This was probably one of the things he was referring to. On his podcast last night he said this is not the last time rice will be brought up during the season.

The players know that production can't and won't let them starve. It's really the one piece of leverage over production that they have, and this "mandatory rice negotiation" twist in the new era is production's way of trying to take it away. In some older seasons, you saw things happen like tribes giving up items won on rewards, or tearing down their shelter and rebuilding it, in exchange for rice. We could see something like that happen.

I will freely admit I could never do survivor. I don't even like camping in a tent.

I think I could do Survivor for everything but the food part. In reality that is probably the most important part being able to function and compete with very little nutrition.

I would never last more than a couple days playing hungry.

I thought that perhaps Q was pulling the best move ever. If he felt like he didn't have quite enough votes, or that Tiff might play her idol, he offers himself up, then uses all of his people to vote off their target. The ruse could keep someone from using an extra vote or idol. Turns out that he just doesn't like it when people don't play his way. He wants to take his ball and go home. So not strategic, instead pathetic.

I thought that perhaps Q was pulling the best move ever. If he felt like he didn't have quite enough votes, or that Tiff might play her idol, he offers himself up, then uses all of his people to vote off their target. The ruse could keep someone from using an extra vote or idol. Turns out that he just doesn't like it when people don't play his way. He wants to take his ball and go home. So not strategic, instead pathetic.

This. I don't think it was some 3rd level strategy. It was " well, I'm not in control like I thought I was. This sucks and I don't want to play anymore"

Q had a right to be angry about the rice. He should have said "Look around, ain't no one beating Hunter in this challenge, so lets have some rice". Poor decision on the group's part.
It was a reflection that they don't trust each other, possibly to an extent not seen in the new era. Given how we've seen them play the game and interact with each other, it made perfect sense.

Probst said during one of his pregame interviews that this was the first cast that had found ways to work around some of the twists and tropes of the new era. This was probably one of the things he was referring to. On his podcast last night he said this is not the last time rice will be brought up during the season.

The players know that production can't and won't let them starve. It's really the one piece of leverage over production that they have, and this "mandatory rice negotiation" twist in the new era is production's way of trying to take it away. In some older seasons, you saw things happen like tribes giving up items won on rewards, or tearing down their shelter and rebuilding it, in exchange for rice. We could see something like that happen.
I haven't seen the latest episode yet. But, I thought it was an interesting last season when Jeff made the "if X number of players sit out this challenge, you get this bag of rice" offer. The players were taking their time deciding who would sit out. So, Jeff stabbed the bag of rice and the players had to decide as the rice poured onto the ground. They decided a lot quicker after that.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet. But, I thought it was an interesting last season when Jeff made the "if X number of players sit out this challenge, you get this bag of rice" offer. The players were taking their time deciding who would sit out. So, Jeff stabbed the bag of rice and the players had to decide as the rice poured onto the ground. They decided a lot quicker after that.
He gave a 10 second countdown this time. No bag stabbing.

This. I don't think it was some 3rd level strategy. It was " well, I'm not in control like I thought I was. This sucks and I don't want to play anymore"
I won't be able to watch the final tribal if he is in the final three. He is bananas.

I won't be able to watch the final tribal if he is in the final three. He is bananas.

Apparently Jelensky took to twitter after the first episode to say that quitting that first Brawn challenge was first brought up by Q, and when he went along with it, it was edited to make him look like the quitter to fit the rest of the episode.

Having seen Q quit on everything else so far, I can't say I don't find it believable.

Apparently Jelensky took to twitter after the first episode to say that quitting that first Brawn challenge was first brought up by Q, and when he went along with it, it was edited to make him look like the quitter to fit the rest of the episode.

Having seen Q quit on everything else so far, I can't say I don't find it believable.
Yeah. Now, Jelinsky helped the editors craft a narrative by "quitting" the game with Maria and Tevin at the journey and by doing little in the immunity challenge (handing puzzle pieces to Jess instead of helping her solve it), but since we now know Q will give up whenever things don't go his way, it's easy to see that he would have done the same at the sweat challenge.

Eventually the castaways are going to realize the sweat challenge isn't worth it and refuse to play it. If we see it disappear for 47 and 48, it's because production realized it was getting close to happening.

Meh, wasn’t a huge fan of the episode. So much bad play between Liz, Q and even Charlie. Liz is no different than Q in terms of getting butt hurt so quickly and changing her vote. Tevin was laughing at a delusional Venus (she is) and then she moved to take out one of two people still in the game on her side. Tevin came to Liz about Soda and she agreed, so he was right. Liz didn’t go to him with her idea. Q is just Q, that quitting at tribal and not going through with it was so bad. Charlie tells Tiff that they know about her idol even though Tiff was targeting Maria.

You can’t make up the number of bad plays that seems to happen every week. It’s still be enjoyable but damn it’s getting hard to find people to root for to win. The fact that Venus is still there and she thinks she’s an amazing player is just awful TV. Reminds me of Omarosa on Celebrity Apprentice. I can’t wait till Venus is gone. She gets votes every week it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread