What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming TV advice - Primary home - rental home (1 Viewer)

houston

Footballguy
I'm a 20 year Directv user who is ready to look into other provider options for a few reasons. Hoping to get some advice and guidance here on the various cable, satellite, and streaming options out there these days.

As for programming I mainly watch sports. I am out of market for my favorite MLB and NBA teams and typically subscribe to those packages. I've had NFL ticket on and off over the years, but find I am often watching Redzone or a nationally televised game. My wife watches a lot of network shows and home improvement shows on cable channels. Kids watch and stream lots of cartoons and kid shows.

I also need a solution for an out of state home that we are beginning to help our family manage. This home will be used for some short term rentals starting this summer. It is a rural location so Dish Network has been used. We currently have a basic plan which has very few channels, yet is still expensive at $50/month, and I know it would get $100+/month expensive to provide a bigger list of channels.

Questions:
Can I use the same streaming option account both at my primary home and at the vacation home?
Can I manage access remotely to a streaming option at the vacation home? Or do I need to provide login credentials to the renter?
I've rented homes before that seemed to have short-term logins set on the TV for the duration of our stay. Anyone familiar with this idea?
If you are renting a house, do you expect the tv service to be active? Or is providing a smart tv with wifi where you can login to your own accounts good enough?
Opinions on if its better to use the TV's built in apps vs installing a stick?
Best value and easiest to use tv stick?
Are all sticks compatible with all streaming services?
Opinions on the various streaming services out there.
Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Any thoughts or ideas on best options here for either/or my provider choice at my primary home and how to provide entertainment options at the rental home are greatly appreciated!

I can't speak to setting up all the remote stuff at a vacation home but the Amazon Firestick is your friend.

Easy to use, you load all your streaming apps on it, and has a pretty easy to use remote. I've been streaming for about 5 or 6 years now and this seems to be the best and easiest option.

I have purchased a Chromecast, 2 Amazon Firesticks and 2 Roku devices and, to me, by far I think the Roku device is the best. I have a 10+ year old Roku on one TV and the little USB stick on another TV and they work flawlessly. My issue with the Amazon Firesticks are that I had 4 apps installed (YouTube, Netflix, Prime and Hulu back when I used Hulu before I switched to YouTubeTV) and the stick popped up an error message that said "I was critically low on storage." I fiddled around with it for quite a while, I bought a USB drive to offload storage, deleted files, etc. Ultimately, I had to reset the stick back to factory, I turned off all the garbage from Amazon and made sure nothing was being installed to the firestick by default and about 6 months later, same thing, out of storage. I wanted to revise this. I quickly just checked my Amzaon purchase history and I forgot that I've tried firesticks twice now, both times, same result - they run out of memory on me after downloading 4 apps or so. Anyway, after fiddling with the Amazon firesticks, I thought, my 10 year old Roku device has never run out of storage, Roku still provides support and updates for it even though it's super old, I've never had to fiddle around with it, I have a TON of apps downloaded to it (I mean, at least 20 - 30 different apps) and it works flawlessly. So, I bought another Roku and I use that on another TV. My son has the Chromecast, he seems to like it but he's mainly on his phone so I can't really say what that device is like. I will say, the firesticks were by far the easiest to set up and I loved the interface but I think the o/s is just not very good at managing memory and storage. I think there's a fundamental design flaw there because I shouldn't have to clear cache, change default storage settings, add a USB to get it to work.

Last edited:
I'm a 20 year Directv user who is ready to look into other provider options for a few reasons. Hoping to get some advice and guidance here on the various cable, satellite, and streaming options out there these days.

As for programming I mainly watch sports. I am out of market for my favorite MLB and NBA teams and typically subscribe to those packages. I've had NFL ticket on and off over the years, but find I am often watching Redzone or a nationally televised game. My wife watches a lot of network shows and home improvement shows on cable channels. Kids watch and stream lots of cartoons and kid shows.

I also need a solution for an out of state home that we are beginning to help our family manage. This home will be used for some short term rentals starting this summer. It is a rural location so Dish Network has been used. We currently have a basic plan which has very few channels, yet is still expensive at $50/month, and I know it would get $100+/month expensive to provide a bigger list of channels.

Questions:
Can I use the same streaming option account both at my primary home and at the vacation home?
Can I manage access remotely to a streaming option at the vacation home? Or do I need to provide login credentials to the renter?
I've rented homes before that seemed to have short-term logins set on the TV for the duration of our stay. Anyone familiar with this idea?
If you are renting a house, do you expect the tv service to be active? Or is providing a smart tv with wifi where you can login to your own accounts good enough?
Opinions on if its better to use the TV's built in apps vs installing a stick?
Best value and easiest to use tv stick?
Are all sticks compatible with all streaming services?
Opinions on the various streaming services out there.
Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Any thoughts or ideas on best options here for either/or my provider choice at my primary home and how to provide entertainment options at the rental home are greatly appreciated!
I would provide good wifi/internet and then just have a Roku on each TV, I would not use the built-in apps on the TV. The Roku works great, and all I would expect for a VRBO type rental. I can put in my login info and watch anything I want to and you don't have to pay for cable/dish/etc.

I would think you wouldn't have to do anything at the rental as most people have their own log ins for their own streaming services. They would just need the apps loaded on the TV so they could log in their own accounts.

Good start of info, thanks and keep em coming!

What about preferences on tv providers? Considering channels provided, ease of use, pricing. Looks like there are the streaming services, and then the live tv services.

I have purchased a Chromecast, 2 Amazon Firesticks and 2 Roku devices and, to me, by far I think the Roku device is the best. I have a 10+ year old Roku on one TV and the little USB stick on another TV and they work flawlessly. My issue with the Amazon Firesticks are that I had 4 apps installed (YouTube, Netflix, Prime and Hulu back when I used Hulu before I switched to YouTubeTV) and the stick popped up an error message that said "I was critically low on storage." I fiddled around with it for quite a while, I bought a USB drive to offload storage, deleted files, etc. Ultimately, I had to reset the stick back to factory, I turned off all the garbage from Amazon and made sure nothing was being installed to the firestick by default and about 6 months later, same thing, out of storage. I wanted to revise this. I quickly just checked my Amzaon purchase history and I forgot that I've tried firesticks twice now, both times, same result - they run out of memory on me after downloading 4 apps or so. Anyway, after fiddling with the Amazon firesticks, I thought, my 10 year old Roku device has never run out of storage, Roku still provides support and updates for it even though it's super old, I've never had to fiddle around with it, I have a TON of apps downloaded to it (I mean, at least 20 - 30 different apps) and it works flawlessly. So, I bought another Roku and I use that on another TV. My son has the Chromecast, he seems to like it but he's mainly on his phone so I can't really say what that device is like. I will say, the firesticks were by far the easiest to set up and I loved the interface but I think the o/s is just not very good at managing memory and storage. I think there's a fundamental design flaw there because I shouldn't have to clear cache, change default storage settings, add a USB to get it to work.

Fire stick is great for doing "certain" things the Roku can't do. But, I have both and agree Roku works flawless while the Fire Stick will hiccup every once in a while.

I would think you wouldn't have to do anything at the rental as most people have their own log ins for their own streaming services. They would just need the apps loaded on the TV so they could log in their own accounts.
I have a cousin who rents out three AirBnB's and this is what she does, and I've started to see it in hotels as well. Smart TV with Netflix/Hulu/Prime/HBO/etc. apps all available to log into. The one caveat though is that she always has to go to there after someone checks out and log out of all the apps.

Never used a Roku device so can't speak to it, but with a Fire stick the first thing you have to do when turning on the TV is log into the amazon account associated with that fire stick so I would not advice using one of those in a rental property. Smart TV is the easier way to go.

I have a cousin who rents out three AirBnB's and this is what she does, and I've started to see it in hotels as well. Smart TV with Netflix/Hulu/Prime/HBO/etc. apps all available to log into. The one caveat though is that she always has to go to there after someone checks out and log out of all the apps.
She doesn't have to do this. It's not her account. If the previous occupant stays logged in then that is on them.

Is there a setting in the app that it requires a log in every time the app is open? Kind of like the "stay logged in for X days" prompt I see on some apps? This might be a better alternative if she feels obligated to log out for dumb people that don't do it on their own.

Your best option is IPTV, use it on Apple TV box or Amazon Cube. The firesticks tend to freeze up as there isn't much room on them.

She doesn't have to do this. It's not her account. If the previous occupant stays logged in then that is on them.

Is there a setting in the app that it requires a log in every time the app is open? Kind of like the "stay logged in for X days" prompt I see on some apps? This might be a better alternative if she feels obligated to log out for dumb people that don't do it on their own.
roku guest mode lets the user choose when they will be logged out and/or can be signed out remotely.

You're right, and I may have misspoken when I said she has to. She does it just because that's the type of person she is, meticulous for detail and likes to ensure that the new renter has everything squared away in perfect condition when they arrive type of thing. It definitely shouldn't be on the landlord to have responsibility for renters logging in and out, but I could absolutely see some Karen call up my cousin and start complaining about how somebody else stole her Netflix logon or changed her profile picture because her AirBnB didn't log her out of the TV when she left like the Marriott does...

roku guest mode lets the user choose when they will be logged out and/or can be signed out remotely.

Very helpful Roku information, thank you!

I believe I need a Roku stick/device for each TV in the home? If so, do those devices talk to each other? Or does each device need it's own Roku login, and would have it's own apps, and it's own guest login?

I don't mind having multiple devices if needed, but would like all of the apps to be connected to the account so that a guest would have login access to all of the apps regardless of what TV they are using.

You're right, and I may have misspoken when I said she has to. She does it just because that's the type of person she is, meticulous for detail and likes to ensure that the new renter has everything squared away in perfect condition when they arrive type of thing. It definitely shouldn't be on the landlord to have responsibility for renters logging in and out, but I could absolutely see some Karen call up my cousin and start complaining about how somebody else stole her Netflix logon or changed her profile picture because her AirBnB didn't log her out of the TV when she left like the Marriott does...
A relatively easy fix for this is to include instructions in the listing and the departure instructions reminding renters to log out of any accounts they logged into and that she isn't responsible for any data or information left on devices.

I actually have a travel Chromecast and Firestick that has all my stuff the way I like it to avoid this any place I visit. Keeps my information safe, makes watching stuff easier and faster, and all I have to do is plug it into an HDMI port and log into the network.

Again, thanks for all the great replies. I'm much closer to having this figured out.

For those familiar with Roku, is one of the streaming devices consistently better than the other? Looks like as the price goes up you start to add different features like voice remote and/or 4K/Dolby streams. I plan to go with the least expensive as possible, but also don't want to end up with junk by not paying an extra 5 bucks.

Without a doubt, the world of sports broadcast rights and providers is getting out of control.

For now, all I'm looking for is advice on which roku device/stick is the best and the best value.

Users who are viewing this thread