What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** OTAs underway. Pearsall looking good, but Aiyuk and Jennings absent (53 Viewers)

Eagles’ defense is #17 DVOA and their run defense hasn’t been good either (#19). Neither unit looked good against Buffalo in the rain.

Looks to be a good matchup for the 49ers #1 offense.

Let's goooooo!!!! Cry Eagles, cry!!!
We've had 5 more rush/against attempts than SF (230 vs 225). We've given up 30 more rushing yards. Our ypc against is 4.1 to your 4.0. Both have given up 5 rushing TDs. Our run defense is lights out. Which is why no one runs against us, just like you. Most teams have way over 300 rushing attempts against them. SF has the least amount, we have the second least amount-a delta of 5.
Agreed. Now the pass D on the other hand is cringe worthy. If the Eagles ever lose a game again, I’m guessing that will be the culprit.
Sure, but obviously the knock on effect of the lack of rushing attempts against us is the increase in passing attempts. In today's NFL, the more you have to defend the pass, the worse you are going to do.

Eagles’ defense is #17 DVOA and their run defense hasn’t been good either (#19). Neither unit looked good against Buffalo in the rain.

We've had 5 more rush/against attempts than SF (230 vs 225). We've given up 30 more rushing yards. Our ypc against is 4.1 to your 4.0. Both have given up 5 rushing TDs. Our run defense is lights out. Which is why no one runs against us, just like you. Most teams have way over 300 rushing attempts against them. SF has the least amount, we have the second least amount-a delta of 5.
Agreed. Now the pass D on the other hand is cringe worthy. If the Eagles ever lose a game again, I’m guessing that will be the culprit.
Sure, but obviously the knock on effect of the lack of rushing attempts against us is the increase in passing attempts. In today's NFL, the more you have to defend the pass, the worse you are going to do.
True but it really is a bad secondary. Guys are running around wide open all the time against them.

So how come you stopped giving all your Hurts stats updates halfway through last nights game anyways?

So how come you stopped giving all your Hurts stats updates halfway through last nights game anyways?
I had to leave for work at Halftime so I didn't watch the 2nd half.

lol how Convenient!

If true, the superstitious part of me would like you to leave at halftime next week too ;)

lol how Convenient!

If true, the superstitious part of me would like you to leave at halftime next week too ;)
I work overnights all over Florida. I usually leave around 9pm but had to go to Naples, which is 2 hours away. I worked because SF was off. When they play on Sunday I don't schedule work for those nights.

lol how Convenient!

I work overnights all over Florida. I usually leave around 9pm but had to go to Naples, which is 2 hours away. I worked because SF was off. When they play on Sunday I don't schedule work for those nights.
Fair enough. I think you should finish the job though and post the final stats lol.

Not trying to be cocky(i actually think you guys will win next week), but I'm curious on your unbiased thoughts on Hurts/Philly's 2nd half since you were so vocal about their first half.

lol how Convenient!

Fair enough. I think you should finish the job though and post the final stats lol.

Not trying to be cocky(i actually think you guys will win next week), but I'm curious on your unbiased thoughts on Hurts/Philly's 2nd half since you were so vocal about their first half.
Vocal? I made 2 posts with stats before halftime. Haven't looked at the final stats, what Hurts did against Buffalo doesn't matter. Let's see what he does Sunday against the 49ers.

lol how Convenient!

Vocal? I made 2 posts with stats before halftime. Haven't looked at the final stats, what Hurts did against Buffalo doesn't matter. Let's see what he does Sunday against the 49ers.
Well you were clearly wanting to point out his struggles but ignore his successes.

I think he'll do okay Sunday, but still think you guys win by 4.

True but it really is a bad secondary. Guys are running around wide open all the time against them.
certainly is able to be taken advantage of. One thing I will give this secondary though is that they certainly may give up a lot of yards and open catches, but they can be opportunistic like Byard against Mahones, and Bradberry against Allen.

Doesn't make it any easier on the blood pressure of Eagles' fans', but maybe that is how Desai has the secondary planned to play. The talent isn't there with the age the secondary has now

Rookie DE Robert Beal Jr (Georgia) has been activated from IR.

He runs a 4.48 at 247 pounds. He can potentially be a contributor on special teams for the 49ers as well as get some snaps in the DE rotation.

I imagine he will take snaps from Gergory who hasn't done much since we traded for him.

Oh, and opening as favorites against them in their house has to ruffle their feathers a bit 😄
This is insane. SF is definitely capable of winning but the Eagles are the best team in football. And the possibility of rain plays into their favor as well.
Not sure how rain would help Philly more than SF. CMC is a beast, I'm not so sure Philly wants that to be a bad field conditions game.

With equal rest, I'd say the game would be a coin flip on a neutral field, and Philly -3 at home.

That 10 days rest for SF is MASSIVE, especially when Philly is banged up, coming off two bruising games in 6 days, and now just another 6 days to get ready for this one. Think the line is about right.

Oh, and opening as favorites against them in their house has to ruffle their feathers a bit 😄
This is insane. SF is definitely capable of winning but the Eagles are the best team in football. And the possibility of rain plays into their favor as well.
Not sure how rain would help Philly more than SF. CMC is a beast, I'm not so sure Philly wants that to be a bad field conditions game.

With equal rest, I'd say the game would be a coin flip on a neutral field, and Philly -3 at home.

That 10 days rest for SF is MASSIVE, especially when Philly is banged up, coming off two bruising games in 6 days, and now just another 6 days to get ready for this one. Think the line is about right.
Philly has maybe the best OL in football and a running QB to boot, while Purdy has already shown that he struggles a bit in the rain and poor weather conditions always seem to screw up Shanahan's system. SF's OL is not very good and the defense has also been very inconsistent against the run. Poor conditions strongly favor the Eagles.

the Eagles are the best team in football
Debateable
I don't really think so.
I see what you're doing here.
Ha. I actually believe it. They are obviously 10-1, have some really good wins under their belt, and just seem like a team that knows it's going to win every week and does all the little things to make that happen. They've looked vulnerable at times and don't necessarily have statistics that will blow you away, but IMO you have to nerd out to make the case that SF is better.

49erse Defensive ranks after week 12

1st points
1st interceptions
1st rush att
1st QB hits
2nd turnovers
2nd missed tackles
2nd rush yards
3rd pass TDs
3rd rush TDs
4th QB rating allowed
5th yards
5th yards/pass
6th 1st downs

Explosive Play Rate (15+ yard pass or 10+ yard run):

49ers' Offense: 14.1% (#2 in NFL)
Eagles' Defense: 11.8% (#30 in NFL)

Big plays are to be had this week for the 49ers' offense.

Our top 2 corners, Charvarius Ward and Deommodore Lenoir were lights out vs the Eagles last game.

2 combined catches for 16 yards allowed between them.

Ward shut DK down on Thanksgiving, I hope Ward follows AJ Brown Sunday.

With Odom on IR, they need safety depth.

49ers expected to sign free agent safety Erik Harris to the practice squad.

Harris has started 43 games since 2018 for Raiders and Falcons. 49ers will be able to elevate him from the practice squad on game days.

If Buffalo doesn't drop 2 gimmie TDs, next week would be a fight for the #1 seed.

I actually think the Eagles pulling out the win vs Buffalo was a good thing because I don't think they'd lose 2 in a row at home.

They look VERY beatable, they just played 5 physical and emotional quarters, got banged up a bit, and have 6 days rest while we have 10.

I REALLY like our chances to knock em off their perch next week.

I actually think the line might be too low. Three more days of rest and preparation is huge, especially with Eagles coming off an OT game.

All about timing/schedule. The Eagles schedule is......I hesitate to use the word unfair in another teams thread, but I've never seen one like it. And I don't mean the quality of opponents

All about timing/schedule. The Eagles schedule is......I hesitate to use the word unfair in another teams thread, but I've never seen one like it. And I don't mean the quality of opponents
Care to elaborate? I know SF got a very short end of the stick facing rested opponents this year (although it's overblown).

Lots of good points in here.

One thing I've realized more than ever, especially this year, is that the NFL literally is a league of 17 one-game seasons.

What I mean by that is that the "Any Given Sunday" mantra is absolutely true. In that what you see one week means absolutely nothing in terms of the next week. So many variables go into a season:

1. Injuries
2. Timing of schedule
3. Who is playing better at the time of the schedule
4. Matchups
5. Weather

The game is really about execution. On any given day the team that can execute their plays better than the other team wins. Period.

This year especially. Early on I thought the Niners were the best team in football. Then I see the Eagles and I think, well, they are the best team in football. But I also know the Chiefs are very capable of winning the Super Bowl this year. And a couple of other teams.

It's a fascinating year with some fascinating teams and they all have flaws. Should be a fantastic end of season here as these teams jockey for position.

Care to elaborate? I know SF got a very short end of the stick facing rested opponents this year (although it's overblown).
Eagles SOS is insane and all the high level teams are in a row for the most part.

Miami
Washington
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Niners
Cowboys
Seattle

With exception to Washington (which, lets face it ALWAYS plays the Eagles tough) the rest of that stretch is ridiculous. On top of that, we just played the Bills on short rest, this week we are playing against SF who is coming off of 10 days rest, next week we're playing Dallas who will be coming off 10 days rest. It is what it is and they are handling their business. Its just crazy that the two biggest games of the year w/r/t NFC seeding and NFCE implications we are playing both rival teams that are coming off mini byes.

Eagles SOS is insane and all the high level teams are in a row for the most part.

Miami
Washington
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Niners
Cowboys
Seattle

With exception to Washington (which, lets face it ALWAYS plays the Eagles tough) the rest of that stretch is ridiculous. On top of that, we just played the Bills on short rest, this week we are playing against SF who is coming off of 10 days rest, next week we're playing Dallas who will be coming off 10 days rest. It is what it is and they are handling their business. Its just crazy that the two biggest games of the year w/r/t NFC seeding and NFCE implications we are playing both rival teams that are coming off mini byes.
I wouldn't consider the Cowboys a tough game. They have wins against Jets, Pats, Panthers, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Wash. 22-55 record among those teams. The Bills are a .500 team and Seattle 6-5

Miami
Washington
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Niners
Cowboys
Seattle

I wouldn't consider the Cowboys a tough game. They have wins against Jets, Pats, Panthers, Chargers, Rams, Giants, Wash. 22-55 record among those teams. The Bills are a .500 team and Seattle 6-5
yeah, its an NFC East matchup. Divisional rivals always tougher. But I take your point. I'm more talking about the three weeks in a row where we're playing with less rest than the other team-the last two of which the other team has a mini bye.

Like I said, I'm not making excuses, that's the way the chips fall and I think we have a good shot at winning both games. Just responding to your post asking for elaboration.

Miami
Washington
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Niners
Cowboys
Seattle

yeah, its an NFC East matchup. Divisional rivals always tougher. But I take your point. I'm more talking about the three weeks in a row where we're playing with less rest than the other team-the last two of which the other team has a mini bye.

Like I said, I'm not making excuses, that's the way the chips fall and I think we have a good shot at winning both games. Just responding to your post asking for elaboration.
I believe SF drew an even shorter stick on the opponents rest day deal. I posted a study and it really only mattered when the rested team was traveling away like this week SF/Philly.

Chiefs/Bills/Niners is an amazing stretch of great games. Philly is getting battle tested.

Shanahan said he can't believe Brock Purdy threw it deep on the Aiyuk TD throw — it was actually a tailor-made check-down situation but he had the guts to push it.

"He proved to us while the ball was in the air that it was the right decision."
That was an unbelievable throw...and got it to Aiyuk in time for him to catch it, protect himself, and score.

I think this game will come down to the SF Defensive line getting to Hurts and flustering him into mistakes, which is is prone to make under duress. He sits protected by the best line in football, a monstrous advantage. I don't see the SF D line getting bullied like most teams do though.

Meanwhile Brock is behind the 23rd ranked OL, but is putting up #1 and #2 ranked numbers in Effieciency in spite of very little time to process. The Eagles DBs can't run with SF's WRs or CMC out of the backfield and Kittle up the gut. Brock doesn't need much time, but please, put somebody on the DE's that can block for 2 seconds, even if it means not sending out so many receivers. haha

This is going to be a WAR.

I think this game will come down to the SF Defensive line getting to Hurts and flustering him into mistakes, which is is prone to make under duress. He sits protected by the best line in football, a monstrous advantage. I don't see the SF D line getting bullied like most teams do though.

Meanwhile Brock is behind the 23rd ranked OL, but is putting up #1 and #2 ranked numbers in Effieciency in spite of very little time to process. The Eagles DBs can't run with SF's WRs or CMC out of the backfield and Kittle up the gut. Brock doesn't need much time, but please, put somebody on the DE's that can block for 2 seconds, even if it means not sending out so many receivers. haha

I generally agree with your assessment, although I would say that Hurts doesn't really get flustered, certainly not into mistakes. He's made some bad decisions, no doubt. But most of them have just been bad decisions, not under duress. He's also had a bunch of int's be weird tipped ball and/or bounce off the receivers' hands type picks.

Word on the street is that Lane Johnson will play which puts the overall game advantage back in our court (I said, if Lane doesn't play we lose the game.) I expect everyone to come out with their hair on fire to start and then settle in. I believe our Oline matches up well with your Dline and our Dline is better than your Oline, which makes all the difference. If we can't get to Purdy early and often he will pick us apart, no doubt about it. If we can formulate some kind of a consistent offense for four ****ing quarters we should win. We haven't been able to do that yet this year and continue to win. That won't be the case on Sunday.

I ****ing hate the Niners but I definitely respect them-this game has been circled on my calendar from the moment it was announced. I just want a clean, healthy game where we can finally see who the cream of the NFC really is. Its gonna be epic. GL to yall.

Sunday DVOA matchups:

49ers #1 Offense vs Eagles #17 defense

Eagles #7 Offense vs 49ers #6 defense

This next one is interesting. For all the hype the Eagles D line gets theyre 22nd on this list while the 49ers are 3rd.

Best 4 man pass rushing combos for every team (min 15 snaps together) and where they rank relative to other 4 man combos in terms of pressure rate this season (chart in link)

Bosa - Armstead - Hargrave - Young:
59.26% pressure rate, 11.11% sack rate

Cox - Reddick - Carter - Sweat:
37.93% pressure rate, 5.17% sack rate

DVOA ranking of special teams:

49ers #25
Eagles #5

49ers are doing a bit of an overhaul to their Special Teams after losing ace George Odom, who led the NFL in special teams tackles last season, to injury.

3 key recent additions:

CB Darrell Luter Jr (from IR)
DE Robert Beal Jr (from IR)
S Erik Harris (Free agent)

Luter brings a new dimension to the 49ers ST: Speed. Check out his first NFL tackle on the second half kickoff vs Seattle last week. Saved a TD, and Seattle settled for 3 on that drive:

Luter Jr tackle

Robert Beal, Jr is a 5th round pick DE from Georgia. Hes 6"4', 250, twitchy, and runs a 4.48 40. Look for his NFL debut Sunday on ST and to take edge snaps from Randy Gregory. I think he makes an immediate impact.

Erik Harris is an 8 year veteran safety, most recently with Atlanta, and has logged over 1500 special teams snaps in his career. If anything he should be steady on ST.

We have the better punter, they have an edge at kicker, and their return game has been better.

Adding those 3 players could bring a new energy to that unit. Hopefully we see results right away.

Got KC off their bye (no advantage/disadvantage when most get at least one in season game with significantly more rest) on a Monday, so next opponent (Buffalo) gets extra prep time. Get SF next, when SF played on a Thursday, so SF gets extra time. Then Dallas has a Thursday game...guess who their next opponent is? IN all it's not just 6 straight games against playoff teams, but four of those teams come into the game with extra rest. It's a bit over the top.

These things generally balance out for teams. Play a couple games where the opponent gets extra, play a game or three where you get extra. It was far from balanced for the Eagles this year

Miami
Washington
Cowboys
Chiefs
Bills
Niners
Cowboys
Seattle

Pretty sure the Bills are the most dangerous .500 team I've ever seen (and weren't .500 coming into the game). The Cowboys are 8-3 and have generally crushed everyone at home. I'll spot you Washington, but as an Eagles fan I can tell you the records never matter with them...they ALWAYS play Philly tough. Seattle is fighting for a playoff spot, and THAT game is also in Seattle.

I generally agree with your assessment, although I would say that Hurts doesn't really get flustered, certainly not into mistakes. He's made some bad decisions, no doubt. But most of them have just been bad decisions, not under duress. He's also had a bunch of int's be weird tipped ball and/or bounce off the receivers' hands type picks.

Word on the street is that Lane Johnson will play which puts the overall game advantage back in our court (I said, if Lane doesn't play we lose the game.) I expect everyone to come out with their hair on fire to start and then settle in. I believe our Oline matches up well with your Dline and our Dline is better than your Oline, which makes all the difference. If we can't get to Purdy early and often he will pick us apart, no doubt about it. If we can formulate some kind of a consistent offense for four ****ing quarters we should win. We haven't been able to do that yet this year and continue to win. That won't be the case on Sunday.

I ****ing hate the Niners but I definitely respect them-this game has been circled on my calendar from the moment it was announced. I just want a clean, healthy game where we can finally see who the cream of the NFC really is. Its gonna be epic. GL to yall.
Only thing I can add is that knocking PUrdy around isn't enough. Much like Hurts, he's pretty cool under pressure. You need to actually sack him, generate a fumble or one of those catch his arm while throwing and cause a wild pass to get picked. He isn't easy to rattle.

Got KC off their bye (no advantage/disadvantage when most get at least one in season game with significantly more rest) on a Monday, so next opponent (Buffalo) gets extra prep time. Get SF next, when SF played on a Thursday, so SF gets extra time. Then Dallas has a Thursday game...guess who their next opponent is? IN all it's not just 6 straight games against playoff teams, but four of those teams come into the game with extra rest. It's a bit over the top.

These things generally balance out for teams. Play a couple games where the opponent gets extra, play a game or three where you get extra. It was far from balanced for the Eagles this year
The 49ers got it even worse when it comes to rest disadvantage than the Eagles did this season. And it hurt us during out 3 game skid (CLE and CIN both had rest advantages, and we didn't have Williams and Deebo. It was too much to overcome I guess). Anyway, it's a valid argument and it does effect teams.

Why Does Rest Disparity Matter?​

Net rest is the extra number of rest days a team has over their opponent per game, summed over the course of the season.

Last year, three teams had net rest edges of negative-10 days or worse: Packers (-12), Patriots (-10), and Texans (-10). All three fell below their expected win total.

The two teams with the best net rest edges last year, the Bills (+12) and Lions (+11), went over their win totals.

It is even more valuable later in the season.

Since 2015, teams with a three or more day rest advantage from Week 13 onward have won 55.2% of their games and have covered the spread in 55.7% of games over a 106-game sample.

Which NFL team has the worst rest edge in 2023?​

The San Francisco 49ers have the worst rest edge for the 2023 NFL season.

The 49ers have 20 fewer days of rest than their opponents.

Which NFL team was hurt the most by the 2023 schedule?​

The Chiefs were hurt the most by the 2023 NFL schedule when considering every rest and prep variable.

The 49ers, Eagles, Vikings, and Giants round out the top five teams hurt the most by the 2023 NFL schedule.

In total, the 49ers play five games with a rest disadvantage, and the total days of rest disadvantage they have in those games is 26 days.

They get two games with rest advantage: Week 4 vs the Cardinals, and Week 13 @ the Eagles features an extra three days of rest and prep as the 49ers play Thanksgiving night in Week 12.

The Eagles have a negative-six-day net rest edge, tied for sixth-worst in the NFL. They have only one game that features more rest than their opponent, and it is extremely early in the season.

Additionally, there is a three-week span, from Week 12 through Week 14, that the Eagles will play with a rest disadvantage. And all three games are against powerhouses.

Explosive Play Rate (15+ yard pass or 10+ yard run):

49ers' Offense: 14.1% (#2 in NFL)
Eagles' Defense: 11.8% (#30 in NFL)

Big plays are to be had this week for the 49ers' offense.
not so fast my friend.
Niners spits home,away.
significantly worse on the road.

Splits by Game Location​

Game Location#PlToGoYdsAttYdsY/ATD1DCmpAttCmp%YdsY/ATDIntSk1DRateANY/A
RushingPassing
Home3138.156.831646634.084410613976.3154411.11121071132.311.2All Home 49ers plays
Away3538.935.981728334.8104911017064.713347.884116294.67.3All Away 49ers plays

avg yards to go 8.93 up from 8.15, nearly 1 yard less per pass 12% less completions, far less yards/att per game ( 7.8 vs 11.1 home) fewer TD, more INTs far worse QB rate any/a 4 yards less per play.

A california team traveling east to play in eastern time zone has won how many games in NFL history? they probably lose twice as many in east than any other time zone.

Philly is going to be rocking at 4p sunday.I hope the niners can hang on! they have a HC who can't win a big game, and this is one of the biggest for him this season.

Users who are viewing this thread