What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Royals Playing Old-Timey Baseball*** (2 Viewers)

It's not that it is only slow as #### and takes forever to get a damn pitch across the plate, it's also that they play 162 games, which is ridiculous.  We aren't in times where there is nothing else to do anymore.

Say you watch 150 games. At an average of 3 1/4 hours a game (if you're lucky).  And that's if you're not even going to them, in which case it becomes up to twice that.

At a minimum, that is over 3 weeks of your life, gone in just one year.  I'm talking total hours.  If we are talking days that you set up shop to watch, that's 3 MONTHS that your day consists of a good chunk of watching these guys stroll around some stadium.  With how much actual action / balls in play?  And how many that even matter?

The NFL average of actual in-play time is something like 13 -15 minutes.  But in their defense, they play only 10% of the amount of games and each play is considerably more meaningful.  With each game WAY more meaningful.

Yeah, baseball has totally lost me, for the most part.  Oh, and how many get to the playoffs now, like half is it?  After 162 games.  Laughable.

I’m hoping the pace of play picks up when pitchers are in game shape.  
That’s one thing I’ve wondered about - what will the impact be to pitchers if they have a pitch clock.  Did they do any research or data on the impact to pitching performance?  I could see the pitch clock almost having a negative impact in some cases.  They definitely need to do it though.  Reduce time between innings and have more in game ads and promos.

That’s one thing I’ve wondered about - what will the impact be to pitchers if they have a pitch clock.  Did they do any research or data on the impact to pitching performance?  I could see the pitch clock almost having a negative impact in some cases.  They definitely need to do it though.  Reduce time between innings and have more in game ads and promos.
I thought one of the short-season minor leagues was using it last year.  Marquee Network (cubs) does run a lot of in-game commercials, soccer broadcasting style.

FairWarning said:
One team that could be setting themselves for a disappointing season are the White Sox.  The rotation is pretty trashed already.  IDK about Minn, but Detroit and KC could be sleepers if their young talent comes thru.
The Sox are going to be just fine. Sucks about the blown save to kick off the year, but Cease looks 🔥 and the bullpen will be just fine.

It's not that it is only slow as #### and takes forever to get a damn pitch across the plate, it's also that they play 162 games, which is ridiculous.  We aren't in times where there is nothing else to do anymore.

Say you watch 150 games. At an average of 3 1/4 hours a game (if you're lucky).  And that's if you're not even going to them, in which case it becomes up to twice that.

At a minimum, that is over 3 weeks of your life, gone in just one year.  I'm talking total hours.  If we are talking days that you set up shop to watch, that's 3 MONTHS that your day consists of a good chunk of watching these guys stroll around some stadium.  With how much actual action / balls in play?  And how many that even matter?

The NFL average of actual in-play time is something like 13 -15 minutes.  But in their defense, they play only 10% of the amount of games and each play is considerably more meaningful.  With each game WAY more meaningful.

Yeah, baseball has totally lost me, for the most part.  Oh, and how many get to the playoffs now, like half is it?  After 162 games.  Laughable.

For about ten years now ive been suggesting both baseball and basketball split their seasons in half. Have a fall champ and a summer champ.  

Same revenue (possibly more), double the playoff games and excitement. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave it 2 innings. Then muted the tv, streamed the Mets radio broadcast to a Bluetooth speaker instead. Even with that, the apple tv broadcast missed entire pitches, and when the mets had the bases loaded, they were showing replays full screen with the live broadcast was in the corner. 

Watching the Hou/LAA game onApple tv+, pretty slick production.  A lot of next-level stats on there, but it doesnt take away from the game.  
Was it on normal Apple TV because I couldn't find it?  I have no idea if I didn't get it for some reason but there was no link to a game on the normal apple TV content.  

no idea what buck showalter did yesterday with his bullpen.  it was so awful, it actually cost the mets a win and sweep.  no wonder he keeps getting fired….

I don't think pitch clock will do much because of when it starts.  It doesn't do anything with regards to walk up songs while batters wait to be announced etc to get to the plate.  It also doesn't do anything with the commercial breaks between innings waiting for that advertising.  

My son played a completed high school game (7 innings) last Friday and it lasted 70 minutes.  It can be done but advertising is the biggest delay aspect of the MLB game.  

ETA:  There is enough time between pitches etc to run advertising on the screen without missing anything.  They whole system of advertising just needs to be revamped.  By doing that it would be the best speed up mechanism and not fundamentally change the game.  

I think they're speeding it up next year officially, but I'll believe it when I see an actual timer and pitch clock. Until then, it's foul balls and trips around the mound and the plate. That's what you're apparently paying to see. Guys walking in circles, breathing. 
The timer is happening next year. 

I get the content because of the pace, but it is a good game to listen to on the TV or radio.  I can have it on, do other stuff around the house or garage and don't have to be watching and paying attention.  I am also getting old, so take that with a grain of salt.

Buxton is on fire to start the year.  If you get a chance to watch him, make sure you do.  If he can stay healthy (health has been an issue), he can do amazing things.

I get the content because of the pace, but it is a good game to listen to on the TV or radio.  I can have it on, do other stuff around the house or garage and don't have to be watching and paying attention.  I am also getting old, so take that with a grain of salt.

Buxton is on fire to start the year.  If you get a chance to watch him, make sure you do.  If he can stay healthy (health has been an issue), he can do amazing things.
Totally this for me. I watch probably 95% of the Royals games in my garage during the summer. The sidewalk for our street is on my side, so I can't tell you how many people I talk to and get to know because of baseball.

They will stop and have a beer. Neighbors will pop over. I can water the lawn or play catch with the kids and still keep an eye on the game. Those 3-3.5 hours every night are bliss for me. My wife loves sports so we will just sit out there and watch the world go by while the game is on.

Totally this for me. I watch probably 95% of the Royals games in my garage during the summer. The sidewalk for our street is on my side, so I can't tell you how many people I talk to and get to know because of baseball.

They will stop and have a beer. Neighbors will pop over. I can water the lawn or play catch with the kids and still keep an eye on the game. Those 3-3.5 hours every night are bliss for me. My wife loves sports so we will just sit out there and watch the world go by while the game is on.
Do the same thing, but the TV is on the deck instead of in the Garage.  It is a great way to enjoy a nice summer night and chit chat with passers by.

This is a great idea. My family moved to a new neighborhood during COVID, which made it hard for us to socialize with our new neighbors. Think I'm gonna try to set something up outside and hopefully meet some fellow sports fans with young kids.

Johan Santana made only ten more starts in his career after his 134 pitch no-hitter.
I don't even put that one in the same category as this. Kershaw was extremely pitch efficient in this game today.  Santana walked FIVE guys that game and was terribly pitch inefficient all day.

That was manager abuse in that game in the quest to get the Mets first no hitter.

Today was different. 

It wasn't even like he was having to work out of jams in high leverage situation that really take it out of you. 

I remember reading an article quite a while ago that was an interview with Schilling about pitch counts and getting tired throughout a game.  He mentioned that there were games he threw 120 pitches but it was an easy day without a lot of high leverage situations and he could have gone on for another 50 pitches no problem.  Then there were days that he was totally spent at about 60 pitches because of the situation and stress of the game.  Basically not every pitch is created equal.  

It seems like for this game Kershaw was just mowing down the other guys and it was very efficient and "easy".  I am sure he could have gone more without any problem.  If I was the manager I would have asked him how he was feeling and what he wanted.  He has earned that input. 

If I was the manager I would have asked him how he was feeling and what he wanted.  He has earned that input. 
Do we know that Kershaw wasn't part of the decision? He sure looked ok with it hugging everyone in the dugout after being taken out.

Do we know that Kershaw wasn't part of the decision? He sure looked ok with it hugging everyone in the dugout after being taken out.
I have no idea.  I wasn't watching.  It would have been the right answer.  Maybe Kershaw had nothing left and said he wanted out.  I am sure he will be asked by someone after the game.  

Why the hell do they blackout games for markets when the team is on the road?  So dumb. 
It’s unreal. I assume they want everyone to buy the packages to get all of the games?

Where I love the Pirates, Phillies, Yankees , Mets and I believe Orioles games are blacked out. I’m over 3 hours from the closest of those stadiums 

It’s unreal. I assume they want everyone to buy the packages to get all of the games?

Where I love the Pirates, Phillies, Yankees , Mets and I believe Orioles games are blacked out. I’m over 3 hours from the closest of those stadiums 

I would gladly buy the package to get all of the game if it meant I got to watch Twins games.  However, because I live only 230 miles from the Twin cities, I can't get Twins games on MLB.TV.  None of the major streamers or DISH carry Bally Sports North anymore because of contract squabbles to I am left to go another (Cough) route to be able to watch the games. You would think in the year 2022 they would make it more available to watch games but I guess not.

I would gladly buy the package to get all of the game if it meant I got to watch Twins games.  However, because I live only 230 miles from the Twin cities, I can't get Twins games on MLB.TV.  None of the major streamers or DISH carry Bally Sports North anymore because of contract squabbles to I am left to go another (Cough) route to be able to watch the games. You would think in the year 2022 they would make it more available to watch games but I guess not.
Yeah, it’s a joke really 

This was through my MLB subscription. I'm paying to watch all white sox games this year.  I live in the PNW, the game is in Chicago and they have it blocked out on both my MLB subscription.  And...it's the free game of the day and I still can't ####### watch!!! 

This was through my MLB subscription. I'm paying to watch all white sox games this year.  I live in the PNW, the game is in Chicago and they have it blocked out on both my MLB subscription.  And...it's the free game of the day and I still can't ####### watch!!! 
Why would you be blacked out when you don’t live in that state/area?

Why would you be blacked out when you don’t live in that state/area?
Because they are playing Seattle and I assume being in the PNW that is the Seattle blackout area.

I don't have a broad comparison because I don't tend to watch many games other than the White Sox, but damn, Steve Stone and Jason Benetti are thoroughly entertaining. Maybe the best broadcasting pair in baseball. It's just a treat to watch the White Sox (because they are just a fun team) and listen to those two. 

Looking forward to the rest of the season. 

I don't have a broad comparison because I don't tend to watch many games other than the White Sox, but damn, Steve Stone and Jason Benetti are thoroughly entertaining. Maybe the best broadcasting pair in baseball. It's just a treat to watch the White Sox (because they are just a fun team) and listen to those two. 

Looking forward to the rest of the season. 
I watch a lot of baseball and I would agree with your assessment.  Stone is the right combo of insightful, funny, self depreciating, and critical of his own team.  Benetti is also a great partner to let Stone do his stuff.  

I also like the Royals crew of Hudler and Ryan Lefebvre.  Hudler can be a bit much but his excitement for the game is great.

Users who are viewing this thread