What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (2 Viewers)

I was watching some Polk highlights last night and he does remind me of Puka. One thing I also noticed was Penix doesn't seem to have the greatest accuracy, and Polk managed to catch a lot of badly thrown balls. I think if he and Maye continue to develop and gel, that could be a great combo.

I was curious as to where 1,000-yard receivers come from (sort of a birds and the bees of football). Just pulled this out quickly without a lot of thought, so obviously not an in-depth analysis. Over the past 5 seasons . . .

- There were 112 total 1,000-yard receiving seasons by WRs.
- There were 53 different players that had at least one 1,000-yard season.
- Of those 53 players, 19 were 1st round picks, 15 were 2nd, 10 were 3rd, 1 was a 4th, 5 were 5th, 1 was a 7th, and 2 were by UDFAs.
- Of those 112 total seasons, 47 were by 1st round picks, 26 by 2nd, 22 by 3rd, 2 by 4th, 12 by 5th, 1 by 7th, and 2 by UDFAs.
- Approximately two-thirds of those seasons came from 1st or 2nd round picks.

I am sure there is a lot more to sift through, but at a certain point where a guy was drafted doesn't really matter and it's his production that counts. Would also have to see how some of these guys matched up with QBs. I doubt that will add any perspective to whether QBs make the WRs or vice versa, though.
Thanks for sharing this. Reinforces that draft capital still matters, though it's interesting to see 5th rounders hit more than 4th rounders. Hoping Javon Baker can buck that trend.

I hope we really don’t have to evaluate Maye at all this season. I don’t want to see him play. If they want to get him some experience in the last game or two, fine but I hope they dont put him in games where they are relying on him. I’d like to see another offseason to build the line and get that #1 WR before he’s thrown into real game action. He’s super young and I’d love to see them work on his game off the field for a year.
Hard disagree. Sitting and observing as opposed to playing and learning doesn't seem to have any noticeable impact on rookies IMO. I agree, maybe pump the brakes on tossing him out there for a couple weeks but he needs to play this year.

I think you play him once you think he is ready, and you are not throwing him to the wolves (i.e. in a spot where you could hurt his development)...that could be week 1 or week 14...we can speculate all we want but we won't know when until he starts playing with the big boys in camp/practice...last year pretty much everyone thought ARich was a project that was going to need a good amount of seasoning but he showed up to camp, won the job and looked good...I don't think many people saw that coming...no two situations are the same and it is up to Mayo/Van Pelt and company not to screw this up.

Last edited:
Ya'll ain't gotta worry about this young man being phased being on an undermanned team (we don't know that about any of the other 1st round QB's). Turned down Alabama twice to go play for his home state.
I don't know where this kid will go, but he's a competitor that you're going to love.

2022 he comes in. Turns 20 right as the season starts. He's following a legend. I know that sounds ridiculous talking to fans where the GOAT played. But for UNC, Sammy is a legend (and now that he's out of the Washington stink, we might see it translate better to the NFL).

But anyway, he's 20 following a legend. Undermanned outside of Josh Downs (and Antoine Greene was solid). Drake comes in like gangbusters. He put up the numbers, sure, as a kid.

But it's the set of balls on this kid. No he doesn't have the alpha dog personality. He doesn't talk like an alpha, just acts like one. Letting it rip all over the field to Downs and Greene. 3rd and 8 and he's gotta run for it. Done. Yeah, he's gonna do some stupid **** when it comes to running. Totally got the Josh Allen part to him.

Downs and Greene gone after his 1st year. I still can't believe he's being ripped and compared to people 4 years older that had 2-3 WR's drafted on the first 2 days, but I digress.

Tez Walker coming to play in '23 with Drake but NCAA effs Tez for reasons we'll never know. It wasn't a great year.

His disaster year on a a completely undermanned team when he was still the youngest QB in the conference was 3600-24-9, plus 9 rushing TD's.

I've had a few cold pops. I love this kid. Everybody else in this class went where there were multiple first round picks and day 2-3 picks. This kid chose a tough situation because he's loyal to his family and home state.

And he's a damn baller that's going to lay it all on the line.

Sorry for the drunken rant, but congrats Pats. You get to go on a wonderful ride with this great kid.

Ya'll ain't gotta worry about this young man being phased being on an undermanned team (we don't know that about any of the other 1st round QB's). Turned down Alabama twice to go play for his home state.
I don't know where this kid will go, but he's a competitor that you're going to love.

2022 he comes in. Turns 20 right as the season starts. He's following a legend. I know that sounds ridiculous talking to fans where the GOAT played. But for UNC, Sammy is a legend (and now that he's out of the Washington stink, we might see it translate better to the NFL).

But anyway, he's 20 following a legend. Undermanned outside of Josh Downs (and Antoine Greene was solid). Drake comes in like gangbusters. He put up the numbers, sure, as a kid.

But it's the set of balls on this kid. No he doesn't have the alpha dog personality. He doesn't talk like an alpha, just acts like one. Letting it rip all over the field to Downs and Greene. 3rd and 8 and he's gotta run for it. Done. Yeah, he's gonna do some stupid **** when it comes to running. Totally got the Josh Allen part to him.

Downs and Greene gone after his 1st year. I still can't believe he's being ripped and compared to people 4 years older that had 2-3 WR's drafted on the first 2 days, but I digress.

Tez Walker coming to play in '23 with Drake but NCAA effs Tez for reasons we'll never know. It wasn't a great year.

His disaster year on a a completely undermanned team when he was still the youngest QB in the conference was 3600-24-9, plus 9 rushing TD's.

I've had a few cold pops. I love this kid. Everybody else in this class went where there were multiple first round picks and day 2-3 picks. This kid chose a tough situation because he's loyal to his family and home state.

And he's a damn baller that's going to lay it all on the line.

Sorry for the drunken rant, but congrats Pats. You get to go on a wonderful ride with this great kid.

Love it!

Must say, based on the interviews I've seen, I like his personality. Has some good fire. Good fit for NE.

On the flip side, I cringed every time I heard C. Williams speak during the draft. Weird vibe comes from that dude.

I was curious as to where 1,000-yard receivers come from (sort of a birds and the bees of football). Just pulled this out quickly without a lot of thought, so obviously not an in-depth analysis. Over the past 5 seasons . . .

- There were 112 total 1,000-yard receiving seasons by WRs.
- There were 53 different players that had at least one 1,000-yard season.
- Of those 53 players, 19 were 1st round picks, 15 were 2nd, 10 were 3rd, 1 was a 4th, 5 were 5th, 1 was a 7th, and 2 were by UDFAs.
- Of those 112 total seasons, 47 were by 1st round picks, 26 by 2nd, 22 by 3rd, 2 by 4th, 12 by 5th, 1 by 7th, and 2 by UDFAs.
- Approximately two-thirds of those seasons came from 1st or 2nd round picks.

I am sure there is a lot more to sift through, but at a certain point where a guy was drafted doesn't really matter and it's his production that counts. Would also have to see how some of these guys matched up with QBs. I doubt that will add any perspective to whether QBs make the WRs or vice versa, though.
Breakdown of the 112 seasons based on which order each player was taken in his draft class (ie, 4th WR taken regardless of draft spot).

01 - 12
02 - 18
03 - 11
04 - 6
05 - 6
06 - 3
07 - 5
08 - 6
09 - 8
10 - 5
11 - 7
12 - 6
13 - 0
14 - 1
15 - 1
16+ 17

Top 5 selection: 53 (47.3%)
Top 10 selection: 80 (71.4%)
Not Top 10 Selection: 32 (28.6%)

To be clear, this is just a breakdown, and every player moving forward does not have to apply to any prior distribution patterns . . .

Current Patriots Receivers and Spot Selected:

Kendrick Bourne - 33
DeMario Douglas - 27
Ja'Lynn Polk - 10
K.J. Osborn - 27
JuJu Smith-Schuster - 6
Javon Baker - 18
Tyquan Thornton - 10
Jalen Reagor - 4
Kayshon Boutte - 22
T.J. Luther - 33
Kawaan Baker - 33

Interestingly enough, the 3 guys that were picked the earliest who have already played have realistically little chance to become big contributors (Reagor, JJSS, and Thornton).

Users who are viewing this thread