What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Petitioning Tank to stay away from nightclubs and goal line blocking (3 Viewers)

ESPN

Houston Texans: B+

Top needs entering the draft: Cornerback, defensive tackle, offensive line

For a team without a first-round pick -- the Texans traded theirs to the Vikings in March in a deal that saw them add a 2025 second-rounder, among other selections -- Houston had a nice Friday. It filled a void at cornerback with Kamari Lassiter (42), who might have been a first-rounder if he was a little faster. He consistently locked down corners at Georgia and allowed 2.8 yards per attempt as a primary defender in coverage last season, which ranked third in the FBS. Offensive tackle Blake Fisher (59) had a chance to be a first-rounder in 2025 if he had returned to Notre Dame. As the Fighting Irish's right tackle the past two seasons, he was a little inconsistent, but the tools are there to be an NFL starter.

The Texans used their extra fourth-rounder to move up in Round 3 to take safety Calen Bullock (78), who had nine interceptions in college and who can play as a center fielder in the NFL. Houston ranked 29th in yards per pass attempt allowed (7.7) last season, so this fits a need area. Tight end Cade Stover (123) made my favorites list; he has flown under the radar but has soft hands and can find open spots in coverage.

Houston GM Nick Caserio pulled off a solid, if unspectacular, class for what he had to work with this weekend.

All Of Houston's 2024 Draft Picks
ROUND/PICK NAME POS COLLEGE
2/42 Kamari Lassiter CB Georgia
2/59 Blake Fisher OT Notre Dame
3/78 Calen Bullock S USC
4/123 Cade Stover TE Ohio State
6/188 Jamal Hill LB Oregon
6/205 Jawhar Jordan RB Louisville
7/238 Solomon Byrd EDGE USC
7/247 Marcus Harris DT Auburn
7/249 LaDarius Henderson OT Michigan

I've been mulling stuff over. I'm not sure I agree with some of the criticism, Jayded.

I didn't think Kool-aid or DeJean would make it to our pick. Can fault them for not trading up a spot or two when they got close to us, but I can't say about that pick that anything about it was a panic. I said going into the draft I wanted them to pick their best corner available with the first second. They did that, I don't see a panic there.

Looking at the 59th pick taking the OT. Who is there that went after him that we'd say they should have taken instead. There is the safety who went right after the pick. He and Bullock have comparable speed but Bullock is more of a free safety and Bishop is more of a strong safety. And our big need is a free safety who won't get beat in coverage on deep plays. Which is Bullock.

Looking at who else was taken between 59 and our 3rd round pick, I don't see much else we should have gone after. Double up on corner and get Rakestraw or one of the other 3 or 4 CBs taken? Take one of the other 6 OTs that were taken that we liked less? There were two guards taken, ok maybe one of those. Edge isn't a need there. LB Junior Colson is about the only guy I could point to as going after us that I'd call a position of need but that might still be more backup than starter. That or double up on cornerback picks (which I might not argue against either). Fisher was viewed as a likely first round pick with another year under his belt, we might end up making use of him due to injuries this year, and in the future if tackle play drops off where we want out of a contract.

And then I like the TE pick. Last year of Brevin Jordan's contract, have someone else in the wings. And the guy rarely has drops which is the biggest complaint I have about Dalton Schultz.

I mean it's not a draft oozing with value that fell to them, and I think we pay on the high side sometimes where we moved up. But I don't really fault the picks themselves much, nor think there was panic there. Yes the DTs were gone by the time they got to us. But I don't see great value (outside of maybe Junior Colson but he lasted 10 more picks) that made it to us there to not just take their best player.

UDFA signings so far:

South Dakota State WR Jadon Janke
South Dakota State WR Jaxon Janke
BYU linebacker Max Cooley,
Virginia Tech DT Pheldarius Payne
North Carolina RB British Brooks
Illinois linebacker Tarique Barnes

That was not a typo. They are twins.

Jaxon Janke (6-foot-2, 210 pounds) caught 51 passes for 818 yards and five touchdowns last season, finishing his career with 244 catches for 3,677 yards and 29 touchdowns.

Jadon Janke (6-2, 205 pounds) caught 57 passes for 946 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, finishing with 170 career receptions for 2,800 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Houston Texans wide receiver Tank Dell was shot in Sanford, Florida, shortly after midnight Sunday morning, according to the Texans.

Dell was a bystander during a shooting at a private event in Sanford where authorities say a teenage gunman wounded 10 people after an altercation. A Texans spokesperson said Dell isn't seriously injured and was released from the hospital and is traveling back to Houston on Sunday.

In a statement, the team said Dell has a "minor wound."

"[Dell] has been released from the hospital and he is in good spirits," the Texans said. "We are in contact with him and his family and will provide more updates when appropriate but ask that you please respect his privacy at this time. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in the incident."

None of the victims in the shooting at Cabana Live in Sanford suffered life-threatening injuries, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. It said the 10 people were treated at a local hospital for gunshot wounds, primarily below their waists.

Witnesses told law enforcement the shooting started after a fistfight broke out. Someone who wasn't involved in the melee drew a handgun and began firing toward a crowd of people, according to the arrest report. A security guard standing near the gunman wrestled him to the ground and disarmed him.

A 16-year-old suspect was arrested and taken to a juvenile detention center. He was charged with attempted homicide, firing a weapon in a public place, using a firearm during a felony and illegal possession of a firearm by a minor.

Dell finished his 2023 rookie season with 709 yards and seven touchdowns. But his year was cut short after he suffered a broken leg in an early December game against the Denver Broncos. Last month, coach DeMeco Ryans said Dell was on track with his rehab and was participating in offseason activities, and the coach added that he was excited to have him back.

ESPN revisiting the Deshaun Watson trade, and the players that the trade at least paid part of getting.

Houston received the Browns' 2022, 2023 and 2024 first-round picks, along with fourth-rounders in 2022 and 2024 and a third in 2023.

Below are the players that the Browns picks at least in some way were used in their acquisition. Which could be taking them directly, or trading a Browns pick for additional picks that were used directly, or included in other trades that brought the player.

LG Kenyon Green
WR John Metchie
LB Christian Harris
RB Dameon Pierce
DE Will Anderson
WR Tank Dell
WR Stefan Diggs
CB Kwame Lassiter
S Calen Bullock
TE Cade Stover
LB Jamal Hill

ESPN revisiting the Deshaun Watson trade, and the players that the trade at least paid part of getting.

Houston received the Browns' 2022, 2023 and 2024 first-round picks, along with fourth-rounders in 2022 and 2024 and a third in 2023.

Below are the players that the Browns picks at least in some way were used in their acquisition. Which could be taking them directly, or trading a Browns pick for additional picks that were used directly, or included in other trades that brought the player.

LG Kenyon Green
WR John Metchie
LB Christian Harris
RB Dameon Pierce
DE Will Anderson
WR Tank Dell
WR Stefan Diggs
CB Kwame Lassiter
S Calen Bullock
TE Cade Stover
LB Jamal Hill

Ugh, its a nice haul but those first two names sting. Really wish we had stayed put and taken Kyle Hamilton which was who I wanted. Highest graded safety in the league and an All-Pro in his 2nd season. Stingley a heck of a lot better this past year, but could have had Sauce and Hamilton in the same draft.

J.J. Watt is keeping the door slightly ajar on a possible NFL return if the Houston Texans need him, but this is the final year he'll say that.

Watt, who retired after the 2022 season, made his comments Saturday as he hosted his annual charity softball game in Houston.

"I'm a very fortunate, lucky man, I have a beautiful wife, I have a beautiful son. I've had 12 great years in this league and I'm very thankful to have walked away healthy and playing great," he told reporters. "I told DeMeco [Ryans] last year: 'Don't call unless you absolutely need it, but, if you ever do call, I'll be there.' And he knows not to call unless he absolutely needs it. This is the last year I'll tell him that, because I'm not going to keep training [the way] I've been training."

Watt, 35, and Ryans played together for the Texans in 2011, which was Watt's first NFL season and Ryans' last with the Texans. Ryans was hired as the Texans' coach last year and led Houston (10-7) to the AFC South division title and a wild-card victory over the Cleveland Browns.

"He knows he ever truly does need it, I'll be there for him," Watt said. "But I don't anticipate that happening, because they have a very good crew. I hope that everybody stays extremely healthy and they dominate and they don't need any bodies, and I just get to watch and enjoy it from the couch."

Users who are viewing this thread