What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jermaine Burton, CIN (1 Viewer)

massraider

Footballguy
Zierlein Profile on NFL.com
Alabama Highlights
All 2021 targets Georgia teammates (Bowers, McConkey, AD Mitchell, George Pickens, Darnell Washington :oops: )

6', 200, 4.45, 38.5 vertical, 11'1 broad jump Mockdraftable

Ranked 16/17 by Brugler and Zierlein, and 10th on PFF Big Board

Plays all over the field, left right slot. Mainly thought of as a deep threat, but that's only because he's so good at it:
NCAA WR Leaders by Career Yards Per Deep Target
+ Power 5-only, min. >40 deep targets, since 2016

1. Ja'Marr Chase (23.9)
2. Marquise Brown (23.3)
3. Jermaine Burton (22.0)
4. CeeDee Lamb (21.9)
5. Marvin Mims (21.2)
6. DeVonta Smith (21.2)
If I had to guess, I think he's a 3rd round rookie pick, 4th or later in IDP leagues.

I am on this guy in a big way, with a big assumption. I assume he comes at a discount. For a lot of reasons:
  • No eye-popping production over a single season
  • Physical traits are fine, but not exceptional
  • Ton of WR this year
  • He's a loose cannon, fair to think some teams will avoid. Smack talker, definitely a PIA to coaches
Production was never amazing however:
Frosh: leading WR for Georgia in the playoffs
Soph: Georgia's leading WR
Junior: Alabama's leading WR
Senior: Alabama's leading WR
Career: Led the class in YPTOE

One thing I love about this guy, is he carved out playing time everywhere, right away. Got on the field a lot at IMG ACademy as a soph, which is really rare. On the field at Georgia as a true freshman.

Last edited by a moderator:
“The talent’s there. It’s a matter of consistency on and off the field. He’s been to 6 schools in 8 years. As one NFL scout put it, he was on the s— list of the coaches of both Georgia and Alabama”

dane Brugler on Alabama Crimson Tide wide receiver Jermaine Burton

Shane P. Hallam
Be prepared for Alabama WR Jermaine Burton to fall in the draft.

@BobMcGinn notes in his article today that "he’s off at least two teams’ boards for various character-related issues and could face an agonizing drop in the draft"

Donny who loved bowling
4th round is the injury / criminal round. My guess is he goes there.

Shane P. Hallam
Might be lower than that

Matt Harmon
Jermaine Burton #ReceptionPerception profile just went live on the site.

Some highlights:
- 75% success rate vs. man coverage
- 77.3% success rate vs. press coverage
- Among prospects on the site right now, both are top-3 in the class.

He has first-round WR talent. If he had a clean off-field profile, he would be in the conversation for WR4 across the industry.
receptionperception.com/jermaine-burto…

32BeatWriters
Might have found my new favorite WR sleeper.

“What is undeniable is the talent of the player. If he works at the craft and integrates himself into the fabric of his NFL team, I would be stunned if he doesn’t become a quality wideout. Jermaine Burton has the type of Reception Perception profile I would bet on five times over.”

Jordan Vanek
Jermaine Burton has become the favorite sleeper WR across some of my favorite sources.

With Bryce Young’s need for weapons + experience with Burton I’d be shocked to see them pass in early day 3.

Andrew Hill
Based on harmons rec-percep?

Harmon, Dwain McFarland, and just the general analysis I’ve heard on him. How if the character issues cleared up, he’d be a fringe Day 1 player in this class.

Curious. Didn't that happen back in 2022? As I recall, the explanation was that Burton was so frightened of the petite Tennessee fan, that he felt the need to strike her. :bored:

I understand that losing to a rival is emotional and kids make mistakes, but there was no accountability then, and still none. Burton has a reputation as immature and uncoachable based on more than just this incident.

Love the talent, could be a star but I think there is enough evidence to this point that he probably doesn't have the right mentality of a pro to make it.

Here's my utterly presumptive and assumptive opinion after listening to him in a few interviews and reading about his journey. He's one of those hyper-competitive athletes who thinks he's better than everyone else even if he isn't. He got that dawg in him. Steve Smith was like this. Hated Ochocinco getting higher ratings than him when they both played for the same community college in LA. Always played with a chip on his shoulder. It served him well. Burton is chippy on the field. He's that guy who gets 15 yards for taunting after smoking some fool. He's also really good and really young. He bounced all over the place always in moves to increase his chances of going pro. From Atlanta as a HS freshman to Florida to play for a national powerhouse as a sophomore. Didn't get the ball much so went back to Atlanta, but Georgia eligibility rules were going to cost him a year. So off to California where he became a star at Calabasas High. Then to Georgia which he left for Alabama to play with his Cali buddy, Bryce Young. Seems determined. Says it's all to put him in the best position for himself and his family. Seems sincere about this.

Saban put him in anger management after he stiff armed that female fan. She did run right up into his face. Not condoning it. Just sayin' after a tough road loss some fan charges you, meh, he reacted poorly, but it wasn't anything sustained. Just an open handed stiff arm to the side of her head as he kept walking off the field. It's not evidence that he's some wife beater. His maturity issues aren't the type that cause high speed accidents with rented Lambos. The two LSU WRs seem more that type. They're having fun. Burton is more the type to cause fights in training camp with competitive corners.

Brugler has him at WR17. He's better than half the guys ranked above him. His emotional competitiveness needs to be harnessed, but that might be a good thing. He's a very hard worker. He's dedicated to football and his family. His friends like him plenty. Fiery guy. If he falls he's gonna make a list of guys that went before him and show them all what for.

Here's my utterly presumptive and assumptive opinion after listening to him in a few interviews and reading about his journey. He's one of those hyper-competitive athletes who thinks he's better than everyone else even if he isn't. He got that dawg in him. Steve Smith was like this. Hated Ochocinco getting higher ratings than him when they both played for the same community college in LA. Always played with a chip on his shoulder. It served him well. Burton is chippy on the field. He's that guy who gets 15 yards for taunting after smoking some fool. He's also really good and really young. He bounced all over the place always in moves to increase his chances of going pro. From Atlanta as a HS freshman to Florida to play for a national powerhouse as a sophomore. Didn't get the ball much so went back to Atlanta, but Georgia eligibility rules were going to cost him a year. So off to California where he became a star at Calabasas High. Then to Georgia which he left for Alabama to play with his Cali buddy, Bryce Young. Seems determined. Says it's all to put him in the best position for himself and his family. Seems sincere about this.

Saban put him in anger management after he stiff armed that female fan. She did run right up into his face. Not condoning it. Just sayin' after a tough road loss some fan charges you, meh, he reacted poorly, but it wasn't anything sustained. Just an open handed stiff arm to the side of her head as he kept walking off the field. It's not evidence that he's some wife beater. His maturity issues aren't the type that cause high speed accidents with rented Lambos. The two LSU WRs seem more that type. They're having fun. Burton is more the type to cause fights in training camp with competitive corners.

Brugler has him at WR17. He's better than half the guys ranked above him. His emotional competitiveness needs to be harnessed, but that might be a good thing. He's a very hard worker. He's dedicated to football and his family. His friends like him plenty. Fiery guy. If he falls he's gonna make a list of guys that went before him and show them all what for.

Nice write-up...appreciate it...sounds like he is dedicated more to himself and not the team...the stiff-arm to a female is very concerning...not in the "wife-beater" manner that you mentioned but simply that you may not be able to trust him to make smart decisions when he is under duress...kid definitely has talent but he needs to go to team with legit veteran leadership...put him in a rebuilding environment like New England with a rookie HC and probably a rookie QB and it could be bad news.

Kyle Yates
I just watched Jermaine Burton All-22 this morning.

I have absolutely no idea where he's going to go in this draft based on all the noise we hear surrounding his character...

But on tape, he should be talked about as a top-10 WR in this class. Goodness.

Jon Ledyard
Top 5!

Kyle Yates
👀👀

His closest comp in my database from a measurements/testing standpoint was Stefon Diggs.

Jon Ledyard
That’s exactly who I’ve been saying he could be lol.

Charlie Goldsmith
Zac Taylor said Jermaine Burton is an "all of the above" receiver. "He fights for the ball and shows a lot that he can do outside and inside. He finishes plays in the end zone. Really like his competitiveness."

"We've had a high level of like for him."

Pitcher: "He's a legit take the top off deep threat. To Zac's point, that's not all he does. He's a complete player. He has played in the slot. He'll have an opportunity to do that here. We'll mix and match. That's the fun part."

Users who are viewing this thread