What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atomic Punk Mock Draft - 2 Rounds With Trades (1 Viewer)

Atomic Punk

Footballguy
Alright folks, hope you enjoy. Feel free to pick apart and give me your $0.02 on your favorite teams. I took a little different approach this year. I will usually try and predict what will happen, but I also added a little bit of what I think should happen for each team. I doubt anyone will notice a difference, but it sure made a difference to how long it took me to write this up.

1. Kansas City Chiefs – Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M

With Alex Smith in place at QB and a fairly decent yet underrated defence, the Chiefs will build around a strong running game and short passing game that works to Smith’s strengths. Other OT’s have been bridging the gap, but the Chiefs will do well by sticking with Joeckel who has been near the top of most draft boards for some time.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Geno Smith QB West Virginia

You would be hard pressed to find a team that has more needs than the sad-sack Jaguars (well maybe the Raiders). Despite the recent failure in choosing a franchise QB, I don’t think the Jaguars sent an entire entourage to see Smith at his pro day for nothing. There are a few question marks due to his late season slump last season; however, there is more than enough natural talent to pass the eye test and make Smith an early first round pick for a QB needy team like the Jags.

3. Arizona Cardinals – Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan(To ARI - #3 / To OAK - #7, #38 and 2014 4th)

The Cards may just be blowing smoke, but they seem to be happy at QB now with Carson Palmer brought into the fold. The Cards and Raiders follow up their earlier trade with another one here for the Cards to jump ahead of other teams that have their eyes on Fisher. The Raiders pick up their lost 2nd round pick from the original Palmer trade with the Bengals.

4. Philadelphia Eagles – Sharrif Floyd DT Florida

The Eagles may consider taking a QB to pair with their new coach or an OT to repair their sieve-like offensive line or trade down with a team wanting to leapfrog the Lions, but they need help with the defensive front seven if they want to transition to the 3-4. Floyd is screaming up a lot of draft boards with his versatility to play either tackle or end.

5. Detroit Lions – Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

The Lions are another team that needs defensive help, but they need to protect their investment in Stafford even more. Johnson had a solid Senior Bowl and is considered by some scouts to have the highest ceiling of all of the OTs available. The Lions find their mainstay at LT for the next decade.

6. Cleveland Browns – Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

The Browns new defensive coordinator wants to establish a pressure defensive front and there are none better in this draft than the LB out of Georgia. Jones is a pass rushing demon and should be atop the Browns draft board as the best player available.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Dee Milliner CB Alabama(To TB #7 / To OAK - #13 and #44)

The Cards needed to move up to get their man and Oakland reaps the benefits and trades down again with a Bucs team desperate to get a top CB. The Bucs believe their defence is close but obviously need to shore up their poor pass defence to take the team to the next level.

8. San Francisco 49ers – Star Lotulelei DT Utah(To SF - #8 / To BUF - #31, #34 and #95)

The Niners have so many picks they almost need to trade some of them to move up or for future year picks. They will know just how to use the powerful DT from Utah along their 3-man front. For the Bills, the trade down will help them build some much needed depth at key positions later in the draft.

9. New York Jets – Dion Jordan DE Oregon

Another team with a lot of holes to fill. The Jets really could use a QB, but I think they will give their collection of mediocre talent another chance this year or add one later in the draft. Ryan needs pass rushers to make his defence relevant again and Jordan is pretty close to a sure thing in that regard.

10. Tennessee Titans –Ezekial Ansah DE BYU

With the free agent acquisitions at safety and guard, the Titans have surprisingly few holes in their roster. Werner is an option and may be able to contribute sooner, but Ansah and his huge wingspan and upside will make him the pick for the Titans.

11. San Diego Chargers – Chance Warmack OG, Alabama

Best Player Available meets huge need. The Chargers get a gift with the “sure thing” Warmack sliding out of the top 10. Phillip Rivers spent too much time on his back and running lanes weren’t opening up in the middle for Matthews. An OT would be preferred, but an OG like Warmack is a great consolation prize.

12. Miami Dolphins – Tavon Austin WR West Virginia

Recent chatter has the Dolphins seriously considering Vaccaro to man the defensive backfield, but I’m not buying it. I think the Fins will surprise many and take Austin to team with Wallace and Hartline and turn their WRs from a weakness to a strength in one offseason.

13. Oakland Raiders – Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri(To OAK - #13 and #44 / To TB - #7)

The trade down with the Bucs just makes too much sense for the Raiders after the previous regime left this team in a shambles. I could see the Raiders take a swing for Barkley, but instead they build the interior of their defensive line.

14. Carolina Panthers – D.J. Fluker OT Alabama

The Panthers offensive line deficiencies were the primary reason for the poor 2012 season … well that and the pathetic offensive play calling. Fluker is a behemoth that will road grade the right side of the line and protect the edge for Newton.

15. New Orleans Saints –Barkevious Mingo DE LSU

The Saints seem to be a team in decline and need depth at quite a few positions. A trade down would be an option if Mingo wasn’t still on the board, but given their switch to the 3-4 and need for a true rush LB, the Saints won’t take long getting their pick in to the Commissioner.

16. St. Louis Rams – Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

The Rams would have jumped at Austin, but since he was picked earlier by Miami, they will hold off on WR and fill their huge hole at safety.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Damontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M

I’ve seen offensive skill positions mocked here a lot, but the Steelers have gotten old and slow on defence this past year and need reinforcements. Moore still needs some refinement but he should be able to take Harrison’s place as rush LB.

18. Dallas Cowboys – Jonathon Cooper OG North Carolina

The Cowboys are another team that are weaker than they appear once you start looking past the curtain. Since they need help in multiple positions they can take BPA here and also address a weakness on the offensive line. Cooper will be a stud in the middle of the line.

19. New York Giants –Bjoern Werner DE Florida State

It is cliché to have the Giants take another DE, but they really can’t resist in this case if Bjoern falls down the draft board to them. With the loss of depth lost through free agency, one could even argue this is a need position this year for the G-Men.

20. Buffalo Bills – EJ Manuel QB Florida State(To BUF - #20 / To CHI - #31 and #73)I don’t think anyone believes that Kevin Kolb is the long term franchise QB that the Bills front office keeps referring to. The Bills get a little leery of teams like the Rams and Vikings with the next few picks and make the jump to get their franchise QB (they hope).

21. Cincinnati Bengals – Manti Te’o LB Notre Dame

The Bengals are in dire need of LBs. With a host of teams looking for a MLB picking right after them, they can’t afford to pass on Te’o. Say what you want about the oddest off-season story or his poor 40 time, the kid knows how to get to the ball.

22. St. Louis Rams – Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee

The Rams have made some solid moves in free agency, but still haven’t addressed their biggest need at wide receiver. They have plenty of smaller slot type receivers already, so they can’t pass on this playmaker on the outside.

23. Minnesota Vikings – Jonathon Hankins DT Ohio State

Peterson carried this team on his back last year, but they need help across the entire roster. They aren’t going to get into too many shootouts, so they need an anchor on the defensive line and Hankins is just the guy to do that.

24. Indianapolis Colts – Keenan Allen WR California

The Colts front office will do for Luck what they did for Peyton early in his career and give him the weapons he needs to succeed. Allen can learn from Reggie this year and take over a bigger role next.

25. Minnesota Vikings – Matt Barkley QB USC

Although Frazier is on record as saying Ponder is his guy, the Vikings will not pass on Barkley at #25. The situation is eerily similar to when Aaron Rodgers dropped to the Packers … except Ponder is no Favre. We’ll see if Barkley is anywhere near Rodgers.

26. Detroit Lions - Tank Carradine DE Florida State(To DET - #26 and 2013 4th / To GB - #36 and #67)

The Lions continue to build their lines and move up to take another fast rising player of late. With the loss of Vanden Bosch and Avril, the Lions are almost desperate to get a talent like Carradine. The Pack are loathe to trade in Division, but the offer is too good to pass up.

27. Houston Texans – DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson

The Texans are a difficult team to mock since they can go in so many different directions. I really think they should build up the trenches, but I think the Texans front office believes they are closer than I do and get another offensive weapon to keep up in the AFC.

28. Denver Broncos – Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina

I really wanted to get Manning another weapon on offence and tab TE Tyler Eifert with this pick, but you can’t ignore the Broncos need on defence, especially when there are great options at safety or DT available to them.

29. Philadelphia Eagles – Desmond Trufant CB Washington(To PHI - #29 / To NE - #35 and 69)

New England doesn’t have their usual plethora of picks this year … yet. The Eagle see Trufant is still on the board for them to shore up the defensive backfield, so they offer their 2nd and 3rd round picks to the Pats to get him.

30. Atlanta Falcons – Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State

The Falcons are stocked at most positions, but I think they’ll pass on adding the TE here and go for additional depth at CB.

31. Chicago Bears - Arthur Brown LB Kansas State(To CHI - #31 and #73 / To BUF - #20)

The Bears may have taken Brown at #20, but the Bills offer played right into their hands. They get the LB they need and an extra 3rd round pick to boot.

32. Baltimore Ravens – Alec Ogletree LB Georgia

Although the Ravens have lost a lot of leadership on defence, there is still more than enough tough love in the locker room to steer Ogletree in the right direction.

33. Jacksonville Jaguars – Jonathon Cyprien S Florida International

34. Buffalo Bills – Alex Okafor DE Texas

35. New England Patriots – Justin Hunter WR Tennessee

36. Green Bay Packers –Travis Frederick C Wisconsin

37. Cincinnati Bengals – Eddie Lacy RB Alabama

38. Oakland Raiders – Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame

(To OAK - #7, #38 and 2014 4th / To ARI - #3)

39. Cleveland Browns – Supplemental Pick (Josh Gordan WR)

40. New York Jets – Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse

41. Tennessee Titans – Matt Elam S Florida

42. Buffalo Bills – Kevin Minter LB, LSU

43. Miami Dolphins – DJ Swearinger S South Carolina

44. Oakland Raiders – Jonathon Banks CB Mississippi

(To OAK #13 and #44 / To TB - #7)

45. Denver Broncos - Eric Reid S LSU(To DEN - #45 / To CAR - #60 and #92)

46. New Orleans Saints – Forfeited (Bounty Scandal)

47. San Diego Chargers – Justin Pugh OT Syracuse

48. St. Louis Rams – Montee Ball RB Wisconsin

49. Dallas Cowboys – Kawann Short DT Purdue

50. Pittsburgh Steelers – John Jenkins DT Georgia

51. New York Giants – Menelik Watson OT Florida State

52. Chicago Bears – Larry Warford OG Kentucky

53. Washington Redskins – Zach Ertz TE Stanford

54. Minnesota Vikings – Robert Woods WR USC

55. Cincinnati Bengals – Terron Armstead OT Arkansas-Pine Bluff

56. Miami Dolphins – Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB Connecticut

57. Green Bay Packers – Datone Jones DE/DT UCLA

58. Seattle Seahawks – Kyle Long OG Oregon

59. Houston Texans – Will Davis CB Utah State

60. Carolina Panthers – Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern

(To CAR - #60 / To Den - #45 and #92)

61. New England Patriots – Logan Ryan CB Rutgers

62. Atlanta Falcons – Bennie Logan DT LSU

63. San Francisco 49ers – Jessie Williams DT Alabama

64. Baltimore Ravens - Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech

25. Minnesota Vikings – Matt Barkley QB USC

Although Frazier is on record as saying Ponder is his guy, the Vikings will not pass on Barkley at #25. The situation is eerily similar to when Aaron Rodgers dropped to the Packers … except Ponder is no Favre. We’ll see if Barkley is anywhere near Rodgers.
They're not taking a QB. If they took Barkley there instead of Hopkins it would be a huge mistake.

The Vikes have many needs but I would like them to take a WR or CB at 23 and then trade out of the 25th for more picks...I think DL and WR are certainly available in round 2. Patton and or Woods both at the top and bottom of round 2 along with Trufant at CB in the 1st. DL could be found in round 3. Vikes have brought d lineman along for a long time. Robison and Griffen were 4th rounders I believe so with the depth in d lineman that's what I would like. They did something like that a few years ago when the Lions came up for Jahvid Best to take Chris Cook in the 2nd.

The Vikes have many needs but I would like them to take a WR or CB at 23 and then trade out of the 25th for more picks...I think DL and WR are certainly available in round 2. Patton and or Woods both at the top and bottom of round 2 along with Trufant at CB in the 1st. DL could be found in round 3. Vikes have brought d lineman along for a long time. Robison and Griffen were 4th rounders I believe so with the depth in d lineman that's what I would like. They did something like that a few years ago when the Lions came up for Jahvid Best to take Chris Cook in the 2nd.
I'm really sold on the Vikes taking a DT in the 1st. They need a big man in the middle to make their defence work and although there is pretty good depth at DT, the talent level drops off quite a bit. I could see Trufant going at #25, but I was having a really hard time mocking Barkley. Sure he regressed this past year, but the guy was a sure fire top 5 pick just a year ago. I can't see him dropping out of the 1st. Watching Ponder as much as I have, they really can't be sold on him long term. As for WR, I have them taking Woods in the 2nd.

Maybe someone comes up and gets Barkley at 25 and the Vikes can move down to get more picks. As much as WR's are flashy they really need a MLB, CB and DL. Allen, Robison and Griffen are all on the last year of their deals I believe so they have to do something at DE too. I really felt maybe they would restructure Allen to something like what Tom Brady did with NE since Allen cap number is 17 million this year...if they could do that then maybe sign Winfield back then get best available at 23 and or 25. The biggest reason they don't take Barkley is Adrian Peterson....he only has so many years in the tank and they need players on the field.

I do think the Packers trade down, but Thompson doesn't trade future picks. Not a 1st, 2nd or 4th at least. You never know though. Although he may have traded a future 7th once I don't remember exactly tho.

I do think the Packers trade down, but Thompson doesn't trade future picks. Not a 1st, 2nd or 4th at least. You never know though. Although he may have traded a future 7th once I don't remember exactly tho.
Although this draft does not have a lot of star power it really is deep. I would think Thompson may consider throwing in a 4th if he secured a very early 3rd this year. Especially in this mock where there will be quite a few decent WRs available for him to choose from.

Also, I like the Steelers picks - in the Shark Pool mock a while back, I took Moore and Jesse Williams (NT) for Pittsburgh with the first two picks. Since then, however, I've heard a lot of chatter that Moore really failed to impress in the interview portion of the combine and that a lot of teams felt he was not a committed worker in the weight room and generally didn't eat, breathe, and sleep football. IF that's true, I don't think there's any way in hell Pittsburgh would spend a 1st round pick on him.

Without fail, everyone for the last 3-4 years mocks a WR to the Texans in the 1st, and it never happens. In fact, there's only one Offensive 1st rounder in the last 10 drafts. Unless something crazy happens and Austin or Patterson (or whomever they have at WR1 on their board) falls to 28, it's not happening this year either. I doubt they'll take another CB, since they've just used 2 high picks on that position and have Joseph signed for a few more years. My money is on an LB to replace Connor Barwin opposite Cushing or Reed. Or maybe another TE (Eifert), since God knows, Kubes can't get enough of them... and will help the O-line and add another weapon.

If I was Smithiak, I'd let Wade Phillips pick whatever Defensive player he wants in the first round every year, in hopes that will keep him in town for a few more seasons.

I really like the slotting of talent to picks but the two trades at the top sorta sway the entire mock to Oakland's advantage.

Not sure Zona pays that big of a price to move up to #3 when they can stay put and get Warmack and in the second round get Terron Armstead who I've heard may get taken at the end of the first round so highly likely he'd be there for Arizona with their pick near the top of the second round. Adding two players would boost that O-Line moreso than adding one top notch OLT IMHO. Then it would allow OT Bobbie Massie to move to the right side solidifying three spots with three young and talented players.

Then if Tampa Bay moves up for CB Dee Milliner it makes a heck of a lot more sense for them to move ahead of Cleveland at #6 especially if they trade a second round pick as the cost. That is a steep price to pay for moving up six spots when they can stay put and pick X-Rhodes.

I can see the other trades with San Francisco moving up if Star falls and I do believe someone will move for a QB whether its E.J. Manuel or Matt Barkley and the other being taken by a team in need or a team who would take a shot at one to groom to be a starter down the line.

Overall very good slotting of talent to draft position and we will trades so I like that speculation but I'm not sure we'll some of the trades you have projected.

Good job :thumbup:

Actually a better mock than most of the "pros." Im a Eagles fan. If Lane Johnson or Luke Joeckel slips to #4 don't see how we can pass on either. We have some guys getting healthy on the O-Line but we didn't do anything to adress last years disaster in FA's.

Cox is a better DE/DT than Floyd or Star will ever be in the NFL so thats not a need. Second round pick give me Jamie Collins and they can just throw darts at the board after that because it will be one of the top graded classes this year!

I think Trufant is the best CB in the draft. Landing him would make me happy even though Dee Milliners presence is what we need in Philly after last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Armstead is too athletic to last that long. Somebody has to take a shot at him. If he bust as a OT you might be able to move him to TE??

I can see the Cowboys picks of OG Cooper and DT Short. Both guys have visited Valley Ranch, which historically has been a strong indicator of Dallas' interest and subsequent selections.

I do have to wonder, though, if Bjoern Werner being available would get them off their expected track and move that direction. Dallas does follow its board and does materially prioritize "pressure positions" (i.e. passrushers, cover corners, OT, QB, et. al.) above non-pressure positions like OG. I could see them go Werner over Cooper if their respective grades are roughly equal, even if the immediate need is greater the other way.

Actually, I could see them trying to extort the Giants in this scenario. Jerry calls up Mara and says, "We'll take Werner if you don't send over your 6th rounder to swap spots." That might prove entertaining.

Although this draft does not have a lot of star power it really is deep. I would think Thompson may consider throwing in a 4th if he secured a very early 3rd this year. Especially in this mock where there will be quite a few decent WRs available for him to choose from.
You may very well be right. I do think that Thompson realized that Ron Wolf wasted a lot of the Favre years by not being more aggressive in the draft. I also believe that McCarthy is serious about finding an every down back so I wouldn't be surprised if Thompson does make a deal to get more 2nd and 3rd round picks to help ensure they hit on one or two players to get a back that fits that profile and also be able to help the defense as well.

Also, I like the Steelers picks - in the Shark Pool mock a while back, I took Moore and Jesse Williams (NT) for Pittsburgh with the first two picks. Since then, however, I've heard a lot of chatter that Moore really failed to impress in the interview portion of the combine and that a lot of teams felt he was not a committed worker in the weight room and generally didn't eat, breathe, and sleep football. IF that's true, I don't think there's any way in hell Pittsburgh would spend a 1st round pick on him.
Thanks EG. I read the same report on Moore and started working on version 4 (this is officially my v3), but I just started to gget lost in all the changes. When I reset my thinking I ended up standing pat with the Steelers since I really think this is too big of an area of need that they will have done their homework on Moore and he'll start rising back up the board.

Without fail, everyone for the last 3-4 years mocks a WR to the Texans in the 1st, and it never happens. In fact, there's only one Offensive 1st rounder in the last 10 drafts. Unless something crazy happens and Austin or Patterson (or whomever they have at WR1 on their board) falls to 28, it's not happening this year either. I doubt they'll take another CB, since they've just used 2 high picks on that position and have Joseph signed for a few more years. My money is on an LB to replace Connor Barwin opposite Cushing or Reed. Or maybe another TE (Eifert), since God knows, Kubes can't get enough of them... and will help the O-line and add another weapon.If I was Smithiak, I'd let Wade Phillips pick whatever Defensive player he wants in the first round every year, in hopes that will keep him in town for a few more seasons.
I actually thought the same thing when I originally mocked them with a CB and then a TE, but I think this is the year they really need to pull the trigger and ended up coming back to WR. With Hopkins still on the board (I am a big fan of Hopkins) and the fact I'm not completely sold on Posey/Jean being a true future #1, I ended up back at WR.

I really like the slotting of talent to picks but the two trades at the top sorta sway the entire mock to Oakland's advantage.

Not sure Zona pays that big of a price to move up to #3 when they can stay put and get Warmack and in the second round get Terron Armstead who I've heard may get taken at the end of the first round so highly likely he'd be there for Arizona with their pick near the top of the second round. Adding two players would boost that O-Line moreso than adding one top notch OLT IMHO. Then it would allow OT Bobbie Massie to move to the right side solidifying three spots with three young and talented players.

Then if Tampa Bay moves up for CB Dee Milliner it makes a heck of a lot more sense for them to move ahead of Cleveland at #6 especially if they trade a second round pick as the cost. That is a steep price to pay for moving up six spots when they can stay put and pick X-Rhodes.

I can see the other trades with San Francisco moving up if Star falls and I do believe someone will move for a QB whether its E.J. Manuel or Matt Barkley and the other being taken by a team in need or a team who would take a shot at one to groom to be a starter down the line.

Overall very good slotting of talent to draft position and we will trades so I like that speculation but I'm not sure we'll some of the trades you have projected.

Good job :thumbup:
Okay, so this is where full disclosure occurs ... I am a Raider fan. At the intro of the mock I talk about how I did things a little differently this year and added a bit of a new perspective and actually drafted with the thinking "what would I do?" rather than "what will the real GM do?". That what especially the case with the Raiders. All of the trades work according to the trade value chart, so I didn't slant them to the Raiders.

That said, I doubt very much these trades will happen, but I think they make sense for all involved. In particular the trade for the Cards to move up makes a ton of sense. They badly need an anchor on the offensive line. Although many counter with the argument, "they can get so-and-so" later on, in most cases teams do not think that way and certain players stand head and shoulders above others for numerous reasons - scheme fit, personality, etc. Fischer is the type of OT that teams build around and is worth the investment. I'm also a huge fan of Milliner and think he is worth the trade up by the Bucs.

For the Raiders, this is a dream scenario. They get a great DT, a top TE falls to them and they get one of the more underrated but talented CBs.

Add it all up and it made too much sense not to mock it this way.

Actually a better mock than most of the "pros." Im a Eagles fan. If Lane Johnson or Luke Joeckel slips to #4 don't see how we can pass on either. We have some guys getting healthy on the O-Line but we didn't do anything to adress last years disaster in FA's.Cox is a better DE/DT than Floyd or Star will ever be in the NFL so thats not a need. Second round pick give me Jamie Collins and they can just throw darts at the board after that because it will be one of the top graded classes this year!I think Trufant is the best CB in the draft. Landing him would make me happy even though Dee Milliners presence is what we need in Philly after last year.
Philly is one of the more interesting teams to mock IMO, since I don't think they deserve their draft slot as much as those around them. They bascially just imploded last year. Of all the trades in this mock, the one I could see happening the most is the one for Philly moving up for Trufant. In taking Floyd my thinking was that the tandem of Cox/Floyd would be a handful for most teams and really make a difference to the entire defensive unit. It isn't their biggest need, but having an interior defenisve unit as your biggest strength could end up being a bigger benefit. As for OT, I think they will add some depth in the later rounds and hope for better health next year.

I really think that the Vikings will draft a QB but don't think it will be that early...although I can understand the reasoning. I hope they take Hopkins in the 1st, but I could also see them taking Woods in the first.

I can see the Cowboys picks of OG Cooper and DT Short. Both guys have visited Valley Ranch, which historically has been a strong indicator of Dallas' interest and subsequent selections.

I do have to wonder, though, if Bjoern Werner being available would get them off their expected track and move that direction. Dallas does follow its board and does materially prioritize "pressure positions" (i.e. passrushers, cover corners, OT, QB, et. al.) above non-pressure positions like OG. I could see them go Werner over Cooper if their respective grades are roughly equal, even if the immediate need is greater the other way.

Actually, I could see them trying to extort the Giants in this scenario. Jerry calls up Mara and says, "We'll take Werner if you don't send over your 6th rounder to swap spots." That might prove entertaining.
I completely agree with your assessment of the Cowboys and how they approach the draft. The only thing that swayed me was the constant pressure that Romo was getting up the middle the last couple of years. Jones has hitched his wagon to Romo even more now and really needs to give him a better opportunity to succeed. Without improved protection up the middle Romo is doomed.

I completely agree with your assessment of the Cowboys and how they approach the draft. The only thing that swayed me was the constant pressure that Romo was getting up the middle the last couple of years. Jones has hitched his wagon to Romo even more now and really needs to give him a better opportunity to succeed. Without improved protection up the middle Romo is doomed.
Yep. And that's why the extortion of the Giants might work. They'd still get Cooper and they'd get an extra 6th.

Okay, so this is where full disclosure occurs ... I am a Raider fan. At the intro of the mock I talk about how I did things a little differently this year and added a bit of a new perspective and actually drafted with the thinking "what would I do?" rather than "what will the real GM do?". That what especially the case with the Raiders. All of the trades work according to the trade value chart, so I didn't slant them to the Raiders.That said, I doubt very much these trades will happen, but I think they make sense for all involved. In particular the trade for the Cards to move up makes a ton of sense. They badly need an anchor on the offensive line. Although many counter with the argument, "they can get so-and-so" later on, in most cases teams do not think that way and certain players stand head and shoulders above others for numerous reasons - scheme fit, personality, etc. Fischer is the type of OT that teams build around and is worth the investment. I'm also a huge fan of Milliner and think he is worth the trade up by the Bucs.For the Raiders, this is a dream scenario. They get a great DT, a top TE falls to them and they get one of the more underrated but talented CBs.Add it all up and it made too much sense not to mock it this way.
The problem with the Cards moving up is that if they did move up for an OT they could move up to the first pick since KC is wanting to move down and they could pick their preference of Joeckel or Fisher or they could target Jacksonville with the second selection and pay basically the same price since the Jags want to move down as well. Or they could target the third best OT and not pay a premium where they'd only have to move up one or two spots to ensure they'd get the last OT by trading with Philly or Cleveland.It just seems strained to project a trade with Oakland.Then the second deal with Tampa Bay doesn't make sense to me because Cleveland picking at six is strongly linked to taking Dee Milliner a few spots before the secod projected trade that you have so I find that projection unlikely.It sure does make sense for a Raiders fan to get Sheldon Richardson and two second-round picks but without knowing you were an Oakland fan I saw the slotting of players as solid but those trades scewed the entire mock to favor Oakland in my humble opinion where they'd move down, not once but twice, and still wind up getting one of the top DTs from this draft and get the second round selection that they lack and pick up an additional second round pick which seemd beyond a good draft but a draft with gravy and whipped cream and a cherry on top for Oakland.Nothing against the Raiders and I hope they can begin to turn things around starting with this draft but they likely will take a solid DT with their first pick and may get Howie Long's kid in the third round to help boost your O-Line.That is much more reasonable and likely but this season may be harsh for the Raiders however it could pay off in next year's draft if they wind up getting Johnny Football. Again a reasonable and scenario that might happen.

Without fail, everyone for the last 3-4 years mocks a WR to the Texans in the 1st, and it never happens. In fact, there's only one Offensive 1st rounder in the last 10 drafts. Unless something crazy happens and Austin or Patterson (or whomever they have at WR1 on their board) falls to 28, it's not happening this year either. I doubt they'll take another CB, since they've just used 2 high picks on that position and have Joseph signed for a few more years. My money is on an LB to replace Connor Barwin opposite Cushing or Reed. Or maybe another TE (Eifert), since God knows, Kubes can't get enough of them... and will help the O-line and add another weapon.If I was Smithiak, I'd let Wade Phillips pick whatever Defensive player he wants in the first round every year, in hopes that will keep him in town for a few more seasons.
I actually thought the same thing when I originally mocked them with a CB and then a TE, but I think this is the year they really need to pull the trigger and ended up coming back to WR. With Hopkins still on the board (I am a big fan of Hopkins) and the fact I'm not completely sold on Posey/Jean being a true future #1, I ended up back at WR.
I know the Texans always go defense in round 1, but this HAS to be the year they go with a WR with their first pick. They have Lestar Jean as their default #2, Keyshawn Martin isn't big enough to take that role, and Posey wont be ready with his achilles injury. They let go of aging Kevin Walter, and haven't brought in any other lousy veteran Wideout. WR IS the pick here. I think most would be happy with Hopkins. However, no chance they go CB in round 2, if at all until round 5. ILB, OLB, NT, S and OT are all more pressing needs. Enjoyed reading your Mock Draft!

I'm interested to see if Harrison to the Bengals will affect their rd1 plan. It seems like they need S, RB, OT more than LB at the moment, but it might be easier to find a starting safety in rd3 or rd4 than those other positions. Of course, a lot depends on the next 2 weeks of FA. The Bengals are one of the teams with money left that seems to actively be shopping still.

Yep. And that's why the extortion of the Giants might work. They'd still get Cooper and they'd get an extra 6th.
I don’t think that Reese would make that trade. Sure he loves to take DE’s but the Giants offensive line sure could use an upgrade too and Cooper would fit in just fine in NY.

There have also been reports that the Giants like Werner’s FSU teammate Tank Carradine better.

I know the Texans always go defense in round 1, but this HAS to be the year they go with a WR with their first pick. They have Lestar Jean as their default #2, Keyshawn Martin isn't big enough to take that role, and Posey wont be ready with his achilles injury. They let go of aging Kevin Walter, and haven't brought in any other lousy veteran Wideout. WR IS the pick here. I think most would be happy with Hopkins.However, no chance they go CB in round 2, if at all until round 5. ILB, OLB, NT, S and OT are all more pressing needs.Enjoyed reading your Mock Draft!
I'm just catching up on some of the recent comments. I really like HOU for a WR in the 1st. They don't seem to be a team that only drafts for need and Davis seemed to be good value at the spot.

I'm interested to see if Harrison to the Bengals will affect their rd1 plan. It seems like they need S, RB, OT more than LB at the moment, but it might be easier to find a starting safety in rd3 or rd4 than those other positions. Of course, a lot depends on the next 2 weeks of FA. The Bengals are one of the teams with money left that seems to actively be shopping still.
The Bengals could still have a very good offseason if they play their cards right. Unfortunately their propensity for being cheap may be hurting them yet again with Harrison, since he still hasn't signed. Even if he does, I still see them taking a LB due to their overall lack of depth at the position. There should be some excellent safeties dropping into the 3rd, so you are right, they could wait that out and still find a decent one. They could also open up their wallet and get a stopgap like Woodson for a season or two.

Users who are viewing this thread