What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: nearly universal praise for 2024 draft (10 Viewers)

PFF grade and analysis. A starting tackle, center, guard (future), DJ replacement, DL depth/piece. And Wilson (lb) is a steal if the injuries don't limit him, though it seems likely. Very good draft all in all.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: A+
1 (20): T Troy Fautanu, Washington
2 (51): C Zach Frazier, West Virginia
3 (84): WR Roman Wilson, Michigan
3 (97): LB Payton Wilson, NC State
4 (119): G Mason McCormick, South Dakota State
6 (178): DI Logan Lee, Iowa
6 (195): CB Ryan Watts, Texas
Fautanu — There have been questions about whether Fautanu will play inside or outside in the NFL, but he may have landed at the most likely spot where he can play left tackle, his natural position. Fautanu ranked 15th on PFF’s final big board and fifth among all FBS tackles this past season in PFF pass-blocking grade (88.2).

Frazier — Frazier was a four-time state high school wrestling champion, and that background has led to great handwork and body control. His 84.6 PFF grade since 2021 ranks third among FBS centers, and he owns just a 2.27% pressure percentage allowed over the same span.

Roman Wilson — The PFF big board pegged Wilson as an early second-rounder. He is an effortless separator with great hands, as evidenced by his one drop on 67 targets and 90th-percentile separation percentage. He easily slots in as a replacement for Diontae Johnson to create explosive plays downfield.

Payton Wilson — The news of Wilson’s not having an ACL in one knee explains the fall for a first-round talent. If it weren’t for that recent news, this would be an elite grade. Wilson’s grading profile was excellent in 2023 with an 89.9 overall grade and a 90.4 in coverage. If the lack of an ACL doesn’t prevent him from playing in the NFL, Wilson has everything you want in a linebacker: length, intelligence and athleticism. His health is the biggest question mark.

McCormick — The Steelers continue to build up the offensive trenches, grabbing their third lineman on Day 3. Since 2022, McCormick has earned a 90.3 PFF grade, the best among all draft-eligible FBS guards.

Lee — Pittsburgh adds Lee to an interior group that ranked 11th against the run last season. He ranked fifth among Big Ten defensive tackles in run-defense grade (80.4) and fourth in quarterback pressures (28).

Watts — The Steelers add some size at the cornerback position with Texas’ Ryan Watts, who allowed just one touchdown from 267 coverage snaps and brings the physicality Steelers fans will love. Watts put up an 84.9 run-defense grade over the last two years, second among Big Ten cornerbacks in that span.

Last edited:
Payton Wilson has the ability to be an All Pro. He won the Chuck Bednarik award for defensive player of the year award. As well as the Butkus award for the nations top linebacker. First team all American and the ACC defensive player of the year award. The dude is impressive.

Remember Hines Ward and Greg Loyd they had big time ACL injuries in college and or no ACL. Remember Joe Namath and John Elway.

I think they are signing Cam Sutton.

I hope not
Still think Sutton is going to get a pretty lengthy suspension, so I think it be wise to stay away.

And tbh, he wasn't very good last season.

His charge was knocked down to a misdemeanor so not sure how long of a suspension he gets. Would have to look at other players with similar charges.

I am torn if I want him back or not.

And I think he just got put into some pre-adjudication program and that's it.

Few more UDRFA reported this morning...

QB – Aeneas Dennis, Benedict (Invited to Minicamp)
WR – Latreal Jones, Southern Miss (Invited to Minicamp)
C – Trey Brown, Jacksonville State

I hope not
Still think Sutton is going to get a pretty lengthy suspension, so I think it be wise to stay away.

His charge was knocked down to a misdemeanor so not sure how long of a suspension he gets. Would have to look at other players with similar charges.

I believe the minimum for DV is 6 games and they have language stating that extenuating circumstances can lead to longer suspensions. Would feel like evading police and possible strangulation might up that a bit, but would be hard pressed to think 6 games is not the bare minimum.

I don't kow anything about college ball, so bare with me... What am I missing with McCormick? Every snippet out there tells me that he is projected to be a good/great G. Why the drop(?) to the 4th round?

I don't kow anything about college ball, so bare with me... What am I missing with McCormick? Every snippet out there tells me that he is projected to be a good/great G. Why the drop(?) to the 4th round?
Smaller school/lesser competition and typically guards aren't as highly valued as other positions. He was the 9th guard taken overall and Kiper had him as his 6th best guard. Didn't slide a ton but he went behind guys from Michigan, Kansas, and Texas A&M, just more battle tested.

Lots of talking heads/articles are saying that McCormick is likely the replacement for Daniels or Seumalo, but I assumed he's the replacement for Herbig after this season. Maybe Daniels if he wants top 10 guard money; he's currently ~$9 million per year and top 10 guard is $16 mil per year. Herbig is owed $5.5 million this year and is a free agent next year. McCormick was looked at as a possible guard or center, same as Herbig. We could replace Herbig with our new backup at $1.1 mil per year instead of $5+.

McCormick played for a lesser conference, so didn't get to face the same level of competition. Waist bender who didn't get the same level of coaching as he'd get in top programs. Has a bit to learn. Very little experience in pass pro (but didn't give up a sack last year). Age 23 a bit older as a 6 year player.

After diving in a bit, I think he is a perfect fit for Pittsburgh's offense.
  • Showed he can play Guard or Center at the Shrine Bowl. Was the backup C for his team in college.
  • Killed it at the combine. Athletic and terrific size, length, speed. Measurables & quickness could translate to becoming an NFL tackle.
  • Durable. Started 70+ games in a row.
  • Best lineman on one of the most dominant rushing offenses.
  • Leader in the locker room. Team captain 2 years.
  • Smart player. Coachable
  • Quick first step. Great at getting position/leverage
  • Absolute mauler. Couldn't find how many pancakes he had in college, but from film it was a regular occurrence.

I hope not

Doesnt matter. He still a POS woman beater.

As mentioned, smaller school and looks like a "mobile cube." 🤣 Some teams can get hung up on "bad body" and ignore the athleticism it might have attached to it.

Guy looks strong as hell in clips,if nothing else.

Lots of talking heads/articles are saying that McCormick is likely the replacement for Daniels or Seumalo, but I assumed he's the replacement for Herbig.

McCormick was looked at as a possible guard or center, same as Herbig. We could replace Herbig with our new backup at $1.1 mil per year instead of $5+.

Time will tell, but I think this is the real answer.

1.20 Troy Fautanu, OT
2.51 Zach Frazier, Center,IOL
-I love when teams inject life into their OL and instantly turn a weakness into a strength. I don't have all 5 starting Steelers on the OL memorized just yet but I know they took steps to imrpove and this will have a huge impact on the production we see from their RBs and WRs plus it might indicate how much they want to have flexibility in case they want to turn to Fields and let him make plays with his legs if need be with an improved OL that opens holes.

3.84 Roman Wilson, WR
3.98 Payton Wilson, LB
-I like the WIlson pick a lot and think he did very well in a run heavy offense at Michigan. 10 TDs I think his Senior year, he's a playmaker that will help a lot even as a Rookie
I love Payton Wilson and wanted Miami to take him so badly at 55 since we didn't even have a 3rd round pick. I think he will be a huge addition on a good defense, day 1 starter IMHO

Without even going further, if you draft 4 starters in the first 100 picks, you aced the test.
Grade: A, easy to see Mike Tomlin's hand print all over this

4.119 Mason McCormick, IOL
-The Steelers add another solid building block to the IOL to pair with Frazier in the middle. You have to like this pick a lot and probably moves them into the "A+" range with this move.
The Steelers rebuilt their OL in 1 Draft class and it's affordable for the next 3-4 years while they add other pieces to surround the QB position with tons of support.

I love this Draft for the Steelers, they hit a home run
Steelers and Ravens will be fighting with the Bengals for Playoff spots and the Division

Last edited:

I hope not

James Harrison was charged with assault after an altercation with his GF and seems like a lot of Steeler fans don’t have a problem with him.

After the draft I went back and looked and some draft “experts” had him as a late 2nd - mid 3rd round pick. I honestly never heard of him before he was drafted.

I hope not

James Harrison was charged with assault after an altercation with his GF and seems like a lot of Steeler fans don’t have a problem with him.
And he was a POS.. But he was great on the field.. Sutton was total trash last season, and strangled his gf and then ran from the police.. It is a former Steeler, but no team will touch him, why are we?

After the draft I went back and looked and some draft “experts” had him as a late 2nd - mid 3rd round pick. I honestly never heard of him before he was drafted.
Didn't think the Steelers were in the Guard market TBH. Should have taken a dive after he made the top 30 visits April 15th. He looks like a Steeler.

I hope not

Yeah, I'd rather we don't sign a woman strangler. I'm perfectly fine with Tomlin and Khan talking with him, hopefully getting him back on a good path, but talent shouldn't override everything.

I hope not

Yeah, I'd rather we don't sign a woman strangler. I'm perfectly fine with Tomlin and Khan talking with him, hopefully getting him back on a good path, but talent shouldn't override everything.
Allegedly.

I hope not

Thing is, everyone will b*tch and moan about signing a woman beater, but come September, he breaks up a pass, and the crowd goes wild. There will still be people upset with Rooney for signing a POS like Sutton, but on Sundays, winning is what matters. Steeler fans welcomed in Mike Vick, had James Harrison, Martavius Bryant, AB and Big Ben(to name a few). Its not like its been all angels here, or any NFL team. If he helps them win, most will forgive him. I'm just not sure he's any good now, football-wise.

I’m 2 for 2 so far

In my one dynasty salary cap league we try to guess the picks for the NFL team we follow for reds 2-7. Had Frazier as my rd 2 pick. If you get any correct you get a free drop. Not great, more of a bragging rights thing.
Also had the Steelers taking DE Logan Lee in the 6th round though I had them taking him with their 2nd pick in the 6th. Still, 3 out of 7 ain't bad.

Although they could use some help at corner I think I would stay away from Cam Sutton with what we know right now. There is a good vibe about this team right now that I don't want to jinx.

I am wondering if the trades for WR are dead at this point? Seems like the 49ers have a bit too many mouths to feed.

Steelers have a lot of later round picks next year, no way they need all of them, so maybe swing a 5th to SF for Jauan Jennings. He stepped up when called on. Probably is their 5th WR now...
6'3'' still 26 y/o. Fits a need.

Steelers 2025 picks(as of now)
  • Round 1
  • Round 2
  • Round 3
  • Round 4
  • Round 5 (via LAR)
  • Round 5
  • Round 6 (via HOU)
  • Round 7
  • Round 7 (TBD)
  • Round 7 (TBD)