What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Pittsburgh to host 2026 NFL Draft (3 Viewers)

In the short term Steeler fans should be excited about these moves. The QB room has been upgraded. Fields still has a glimmer of upside potential. Long term I think the only way the Steelers can win a Super Bowl is by if they can find an elite franchise QB or put together a super team like the Niners. In the super team scenario you’d have to fond another QB. These two would screw it up.

In the short term Steeler fans should be excited about these moves. The QB room has been upgraded. Fields still has a glimmer of upside potential. Long term I think the only way the Steelers can win a Super Bowl is by if they can find an elite franchise QB or put together a super team like the Niners. In the super team scenario you’d have to fond another QB. These two would screw it up.

Fields has more tools, better intangibles, has had more production in college and nfl, and is younger than Pickett. I think he still has upside and runway to be a franchise qb in the right situation.

Fields has more tools, better intangibles, has had more production in college and nfl, and is younger than Pickett. I think he still has upside and runway to be a franchise qb in the right situation.
He’s definitely an upgrade from Pickett. If I’m a Steeler fan I want him to start not Wilson. People are saying he can sit behind Wilson and learn. Learn what? They are the same QB except Fields is more dynamic with his legs. They both thrive out of structure. Neither is great processing info or throwing from the pocket. It’s not like it’s Brady or Manning he will be playing behind. Wilson has major limitations as a QB. The Steelers will win 9 or 10 games with either QB. Fields would be a heck of a lot more fun to watch. Maybe the light bulb goes on. You know what you’re getting with Wilson, 150 yards with one or two TD’s, lots of three and outs with a couple incredible plays sprinkled in. Also, you wouldn’t have to watch any cringe post game press conferences from Russ.

My biggest fear would be Wilson starting and winning just enough games to warrant giving him a long term contract. If the goal is to maybe make the playoffs and maybe but probably not win a playoff game Wilson is the guy.

Fields is best when the game is simplified to a one-read limited to the left or the right side of the field. Last thing you want is him having to survey the entire field going through his progressions. He also rarely throws with anticipation and would rather wait until his read gets open. Both these QBs are limited in what they bring to the table, but the price was cheap.

I put into copilot 2 questions. tell me why justin fields can eventually be an elite QB? tell me why Kenny Pickett can eventually be an elite QB? Let me just say copilot was reaching on Kenny. lol

tell me why kenny pickett can eventually be an elite QB?

Copilot
Certainly! Let’s explore why Kenny Pickett has the potential to become an elite quarterback:
  1. Active and Efficient Feet: Pickett possesses very active and efficient footwork. He can hop, slide, and adjust to incoming threats, making it difficult for defenders to sack him. His mobility and relentless “never say die” mentality contribute to his elusive style in the pocket.
  2. Arm Strength: While not considered elite, Pickett has plenty of arm strength. His throws get the job done, and he can make the necessary passes to move the chains and create big plays.
  3. Experience: Pickett has started 24 games, gaining valuable experience at the college level. This experience can translate into better decision-making and poise under pressure as he transitions to the professional level.
  4. Work Ethic and Determination: Becoming an elite quarterback requires dedication and hard work. If Pickett continues to put in the effort and remains committed to improving his skills, he has the potential to reach the top tier of NFL quarterbacks.
Remember, the journey to becoming an elite QB involves continuous growth, adaptability, and performance at the highest level. Kenny Pickett’s development will depend on factors such as coaching, team support, and his ability to learn from both successes and setbacks. Time will tell if he can fulfill his potential and join the ranks of elite quarterbacks in the NFL.

tell me why justin fields can eventually be an elite QB?

Copilot
Certainly! Justin Fields, the talented quarterback, has several qualities that could propel him to elite status in the NFL:

1. Physical Attributes:
    • Arm Strength: Fields possesses a strong arm, allowing him to make deep throws and fit the ball into tight windows.
    • Mobility: His agility and speed enable him to extend plays, evade defenders, and even contribute as a rusher.
  2. College Performance:
  3. Scouting Report:
  4. Historic Company:
  5. Potential for Growth:
    • Fields is still early in his NFL journey. With coaching, experience, and development, he can refine his skills and decision-making.
    • Learning from seasoned veterans and adapting to the pro game will be crucial.
In summary, Fields’ combination of physical tools, college success, and potential for growth positions him well to become an elite NFL quarterback. Keep an eye on his progress—it’s an exciting journey! 🏈🌟

I think they somehow get Fields under control for 2-3 years.
Maybe, it also wouldn't surprise me if he and Wilson walk after the season.. The dude is going to want paid. especially if he feels he is going to be the starter after this season.

Probably why it cost little to get him, Steelers have all the risk.

Maybe, it also wouldn't surprise me if he and Wilson walk after the season.. The dude is going to want paid. especially if he feels he is going to be the starter after this season.

To keep fields they either have to exercise his 5th year option or work out an extension. Pretty sure they'll do one or the other before May. He can't walk if they exercise the 5th year. They also are likely to work on a contract for Wilson.

To keep fields they either have to exercise his 5th year option or work out an extension. Pretty sure they'll do one or the other before May. He can't walk if they exercise the 5th year. They also are likely to work on a contract for Wilson.

I think there’s zero chance they pickup his 5th year option.

Offer a 2-3 year contract? Yes I can see that.

That is my guess, where they guarantee the $25MM as signing bonus and get creative with terms. Might not happen by May though.

Not going to lie, that WR core is trash..

Not going to lie, but your takes on the Steelers tend to be reactionary, impulsive, and surface level (at best).

Do you think they'll not sign more WR's? Not draft any? It's March. Does the current GM strike you as someone who looks at that depth chart and decides "Nah, we're good"?
I am not sure what they will do, the FA market is thin now, and who they drafting that will be a game changer? They aren't drafting in the top 10 to get a Harrison.

And I am impulsive cause it has been 8 years since a playoff win, and I am tired of it. They did a good job this offseason, but made a huge problem in other places like WR.

Van Jefferson ever being listed as #2 at any point is a joke.

Van Jefferson ever being listed as #2 at any point is a joke.
We all want better. It's an all time rookie WR class, at least with depth. Additions will be made and the FA market was not great at WR. I hated to see Diontae go but that was more on him.

As for your comment, this is where I point out that the Rams won the SB in 2021 with him as their #2WR.

Logan Woodside is in Pittsburgh per FB.

I'd bet 70% he's going to be some new made up position like QB coach assistant's assistant and 30% chance he's there to play.

That is my guess, where they guarantee the $25MM as signing bonus and get creative with terms. Might not happen by May though.
5th year option (or an extension) has to be exercised by early May, otherwise he's free to do whatever he wants after 2024. If they are as high on him as it seems they'll do one or the other. And sure, it's most likely the other.

Just sitting here thinking about how Kahn played this, utter brilliance.

Have heard multiple reports that Fields other suitors were Colts and Eagle. Colts dropped out when they signed Flacco. So now his market was just the Eagles. By dumping KP off on the Eagles he not only got comp back but effectively closed the last viable door for the Bears and enabled him to swoop in at a great cost.

I've got to HAND it to Omar he HANDled the QB movement brilliantly. He definitely went against this philosophy. A bird in the Hand(KP) is worth 2(RW & JF) in the bush. Especially when the bird bites the HAND that feeds you. Just when you think Omar's HANDS are tied. Poles overplayed his HAND. We are in good HANDS with Omar the Khan Artist.

Last edited:

5th year option (or an extension) has to be exercised by early May, otherwise he's free to do whatever he wants after 2024. If they are as high on him as it seems they'll do one or the other. And sure, it's most likely the other.
I don't think the 5th year option is on the table here.

Really interesting to see how long they play this out without having any of them under contract in 2025. Would not be surprised if we saw an extension any day, in camp after they get a look at them, in season though that has never seemed to be their style.

The perfect situation for the Steelers IMO is they see enough or feel good enough about handing both of them extensions. At that point we can pull of Mike Wallace/AB part two, leverage them against each other and first one who takes the offers gets the prize. If it gets to that point hope the right one chooses the offer again.

I am not sure what they will do, the FA market is thin now, and who they drafting that will be a game changer?

This isn’t Madden or fantasy. Not every signing needs to be OMG!!!!!!

Depth is important. Recognizing we’re in a sort-of rebuild is important. If your expectation is that they win a Super Bowl this year, I can see why you might be reacting this way.

I do think we’re better off this year, regardless.

I don't think the 5th year option is on the table here.
Maybe I'm doing a poor job of explaining. If they have any intention of keeping fields they will have to do something before May 2nd. If they don't he's free to walk after the coming season. They could certainly work out an extension after May 2nd but he's under no obligation to do so.

Just sitting here thinking about how Kahn played this, utter brilliance.

Have heard multiple reports that Fields other suitors were Colts and Eagle. Colts dropped out when they signed Flacco. So now his market was just the Eagles. By dumping KP off on the Eagles he not only got comp back but effectively closed the last viable door for the Bears and enabled him to swoop in at a great cost.

Yerp. Totally "Billy Beane/Ricardo Rincon'd" them, if that all is indeed how it broke down.

I am not sure what they will do, the FA market is thin now, and who they drafting that will be a game changer?

This isn’t Madden or fantasy. Not every signing needs to be OMG!!!!!!

Depth is important. Recognizing we’re in a sort-of rebuild is important. If your expectation is that they win a Super Bowl this year, I can see why you might be reacting this way.

I do think we’re better off this year, regardless.

There is a chance the steelers got a 1 yr QB who will possibly go to the HOF, for $1.2M, and a long term answer at QB for a 6th rd pick.
Some dont think Fields is good, i think verdict is still out, but its a risk worth taking. They got 7th rd pick in the Pickett deal for next year, so who really cares if they lose a 6th.
The issue with the Steelers will be having access to a top tier QB in the draft. They just dont go 3-14, no matter how many issues they have.

If they can get a a C and another WR, this team this year could be a division winner. And have everything in place for Fields to step into next year, with a year to sit and learn, and relax under his belt. Also, Russ could go down in week 3 and Fields takes over, the 6th pick goes to a 4th, and Fields is awful, like some of you think he is.

There is a chance the steelers got a 1 yr QB who will possibly go to the HOF, for $1.2M, and a long term answer at QB for a 6th rd pick.
Some dont think Fields is good, i think verdict is still out, but its a risk worth taking. They got 7th rd pick in the Pickett deal for next year, so who really cares if they lose a 6th.
The issue with the Steelers will be having access to a top tier QB in the draft. They just dont go 3-14, no matter how many issues they have.

If they can get a a C and another WR, this team this year could be a division winner. And have everything in place for Fields to step into next year, with a year to sit and learn, and relax under his belt. Also, Russ could go down in week 3 and Fields takes over, the 6th pick goes to a 4th, and Fields is awful, like some of you think he is.
Division winner will be tough with your competition, but you are right as the Steelers never truly implode even when their roster looks like it should. That is a sign of a well coached team imo. If they can run the ball effectively and play good defense they are probably still playing .500 ball in that division but things can break their way. I personally think Wilson is a great fit for your offense and Fields should benefit from learning on the sidelines. Either way it is great value for an upside QB and fans should be excited as there it least some hope that you potentially have an answer at the leagues most valuable position.

Trying to read what Dulac is saying. Saying Fields camp had Chicago contact the Steelers and he was told its 50/50 if Steelers pick up the 25M on Fields.

Sounds like they would rather work out a deal with Wilson over Fields.

Trying to read what Dulac is saying. Saying Fields camp had Chicago contact the Steelers and he was told its 50/50 if Steelers pick up the 25M on Fields.
The best thing that could happen to Pitt is Fields plays his *** off and he gets his money. They are the sharpest team in regards to the cap. It’s hard to find a quality starting qb for under $25 mil.

wonder how real the Tyler Boyd stuff is especially after Boyd’s comments last season that supposedly pissed Tomlin off??

Sounds like they would rather work out a deal with Wilson over Fields.
Wilson is a lot better than 'some' here assume. He's the starter and will get his extension with the guarantees he originally wanted next year.
I like Fields but he's no Russell Wilson. If they want to keep him around long term, then they have to work out an extension for him. Right now, the Steelers have a one-year window of cheap QB salary on their cap to make waves.
I don't think they will extend Fields because how will he see any playing time? He's not beating out Wilson. His agent won't want him to ink long-term backup QB deal because that is what he'll be in Pittsburgh, Russell Wilson's backup. His reps will want to either extend him to a big contract that Pittsburgh won't pay now or in a year after Wilson takes over, so he'll hit the open market next year.

Vegas apparently is not buying into Wilson being "the man" there.

I think the betting odds are being influenced by potential fantasy football points instead of how bad Justin Fields has been as a NFL Quarterback.

Steelers redo Donte Jacksons’s contract.

The Steelers and Jackson had a Saturday deadline to re-work his deal, which was originally set to pay hm $10.5 million this season and $4 million of that on Saturday. The Steelers apparently got under that deadline, even though the news didn’t come out until Monday morning.

Jackson agreed to take a pay cut of $4.5 million, from $10.5 million down to $6 million total for the season. They did so with only giving him another $750,000 in guaranteed money on top of the $4 million he had already been expected to get over the weekend. The Steelers could have cut Jackson without penalty if they released him before paying him the bonus.

With Jackson agreeing to a significant pay cut, the Steelers have about $14.8 million in 2024 offseason salary cap space, according to Steelers Now‘s estimate. That’s up from $10.3 million in our last update on Sunday.

The Steelers and Jackson had a Saturday deadline to re-work his deal, which was originally set to pay hm $10.5 million this season and $4 million of that on Saturday. The Steelers apparently got under that deadline, even though the news didn’t come out until Monday morning.

Jackson agreed to take a pay cut of $4.5 million, from $10.5 million down to $6 million total for the season. They did so with only giving him another $750,000 in guaranteed money on top of the $4 million he had already been expected to get over the weekend. The Steelers could have cut Jackson without penalty if they released him before paying him the bonus.

With Jackson agreeing to a significant pay cut, the Steelers have about $14.8 million in 2024 offseason salary cap space, according to Steelers Now‘s estimate. That’s up from $10.3 million in our last update on Sunday.

Seems like an odd move for Jackson to agree to. Why not add a year? But works for us.

How much of that cap space is actually useable? I guess there still are plenty of internal restructures that could still happen to make more room too.

Seems like an odd move for Jackson to agree to. Why not add a year? But works for us.

How much of that cap space is actually useable? I guess there still are plenty of internal restructures that could still happen to make more room too.

Current cap space is around $15M.

They could get around $25M extra on top of the $15M by restructuring TJ, Minkah, and Highsmith. Another option is to extend Cam Heyward to lower his $22M cap hit to give them more space this year.

Plenty of options to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread