What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (15 Viewers)

The Detroit Lions are trading pick 205, plus pick 249 to the Houston Texans in exchange for pick 189 (acquired from Denver), per league source.

4th trade for Brad

189. Mehki Mekhi Wingo, DT LSU

sawed off interior lineman, 6’0”, sub-300, short arms. Super quick, wins by slithering between tackles

210 will be the Lions last pick

Last edited:
It's Wingo time. Best Wingo since Trey?

For Round 6, looks like a solid pick.

from PFF Draft Guide

Wingo's shorter arms and legs limit his efficacy and versatility. He will likely be limited between the 2i and 4i alignments in a 4-3 scheme. However, his quickness and consistent hand placement can lead to some success as a rotational pass-rusher in the NFL.

The smaller Wingo wins on quickness. His stance is low and loaded, and he can explode off the ball. His hands are well placed, which leads to an effective push-pull, his go-to passrush move. But his smaller frame and shorter arms make it tough for him to disengage against better offensive linemen.

He has his positive moments in run defense, but his bad plays are too far in the wrong direction. When he has good eye discipline against the run and waits for the back to commit to a lane, he can disengage and make contact at the line of scrimmage.

Still, too often he guesses the lane. He also has a bad tendency to get turned around at the line.

The Detroit Lions are trading pick 205, plus pick 249 to the Houston Texans in exchange for pick 189 (acquired from Denver), per league source.

4th trade for Brad

189. Mehki Mekhi Wingo, DT LSU

sawed off interior lineman, 6’0”, sub-300, short arms. Super quick, wins by slithering between tackles

210 will be the Lions last pick
Curious why the Texans would make that trade. 249 is so close to the end of the draft to almost be useless.

This draft has felt like I am the smartest guy in the room. Maybe Brad is, but it usually doesn't work out that way.

He’s on a 4-year heater similar to the Seahawks in the early 2010s

I don’t think it’s hubris, just a function of sticking to your own evaluation process and ignoring what others think

Hard to disagree with the results so I’ve given up trying to understand and repeat the mantra “In Brad We Trust”

Mahogany Boston College

*** kicking guard

One of the 3 best pulling hards behind Graham Barton & Christian Haynes

Decent punch, good pass protector, but ideally suited for power run game, gap schemes

Some kind of medical thing but I forget what it was

from PFF

106. Christian Mahogany
Boston College
HEIGHT
6' 3"
WEIGHT
SPEED

Mahogany is a guard only and a powerful run-blocker with inconsistencies in the passing game. He projects into a rotational and potential starting role for a team that is heavier in the run game in mostly man/gap concepts.

2023862 snaps

37th / 628 G
2022— missed— season
2021706 snaps

18th / 624 G

Mahogany missed all of 2022 with an ACL injury, so his slide is likely due to that history. But it's hard to hold that against him after he was named a first-team All-ACC selection after allowing no sacks or quarterback hits in 2033.

Christian Mahogany is a OG prospect in the 2024 draft class. He scored a 9.63 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 60 out of 1583 OG from 1987 to 2024.

from PFF Draft Guide

Wingo's shorter arms and legs limit his efficacy and versatility. He will likely be limited between the 2i and 4i alignments in a 4-3 scheme. However, his quickness and consistent hand placement can lead to some success as a rotational pass-rusher in the NFL.

The smaller Wingo wins on quickness. His stance is low and loaded, and he can explode off the ball. His hands are well placed, which leads to an effective push-pull, his go-to passrush move. But his smaller frame and shorter arms make it tough for him to disengage against better offensive linemen.

He has his positive moments in run defense, but his bad plays are too far in the wrong direction. When he has good eye discipline against the run and waits for the back to commit to a lane, he can disengage and make contact at the line of scrimmage.

Still, too often he guesses the lane. He also has a bad tendency to get turned around at the line.
Continuing the Lions focus on intangibles Wingo was a team captain and also won some team award for grit and spirit

This draft has felt like I am the smartest guy in the room. Maybe Brad is, but it usually doesn't work out that way.

Really? In four years he took over by far the worst roster in the league and turned it into easily a top 5 roster in the NFL. Voted best GM in football. First time the Lions had a competent GM. Killed the first three drafts, especially last year. This draft finally completed the fix of our holey secondary. A couple high risk/high reward picks.

from PFF Draft Guide

Continuing the Lions focus on intangibles Wingo was a team captain and also won some team award for grit and spirit

From Dane Brugler's “The Beast”

Mekhi Wingo battled a late-season lower body injury. Instead of ending his season to prepare for the NFL Draft, he worked tirelessly to rehab and return for LSU's final bowl game.

"I’m a captain of this team and I feel like I owed it to these guys.”
- Mekhi Wingo

Brad Holmes on G Christian Mahogany: "He's got some dirtbag in him. He's one of these Jersey kids who doesn't take a lot of crap."

Mahogany was ranked #99 by Dane Brugler (Mekhi Wingo was #95.)

Favorite line from The Beast: "He plays like a bouncer outside of a club, looking to bash heads with power and forceful hands."

Mekhi Wingo battled a late-season lower body injury. Instead of ending his season to prepare for the NFL Draft, he worked tirelessly to rehab and return for LSU's final bowl game.

- Mekhi Wingo
That screams Detroit Lion.

- Mekhi Wingo
That screams Detroit Lion.

Kind of feels like we can say that about all six picks eh

TOP ED/DI UDFA

EDGE
Gabriel & Grayson Murphy UCLA
Richard Jibunor TROY
Jalen Green JMU
Gabe Hall BAY
Khalid Duke KSU

DI
Evan Anderson FAU
Myles Murphy UNC
Jamree Kromah JMU (Bears)
Elijah Chatman SMU
Nyles Gaddy MIZZ

2024 Detroit Lions UDFA tracker

• WR/PR Isaiah Williams, Illinois
    Got a $15,000 signing bonus and $225,000 in salary guarantees to come to Detroit, significant money that signals the Lions believe he could make the team in the fall. Williams spent two seasons at quarterback and once ran for 192 yards in a game, a school record for a QB. Moved to receiver for his final three seasons and led the team in receiving each of those years. Led the Big Ten with 82 catches this past year, racked up 1,055 yards and was named first-team All-Big Ten as a wideout, plus earned honorable mention for his work as a punt returner. The return ability should be appealing to Detroit.
  • WR/PR Jalon Calhoun, Duke
    A former high-school quarterback who led Duke in receiving as a true freshman. Caught 253 passes for 3,026 yards and 17 touchdowns in five seasons, and became the fourth Blue Devils player ever to crash the 3,000-yard barrier. Calhoun (5-foot-10 and 186 pounds) also has return potential, returning 26 punts for 258 yards, an average of 9.9 a pop.
  • OL Bryan Hudson, Louisville
    A four-time shot put state champion from Kentucky who grew up on a farm and developed his strength by throwing bales of hay. At 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, Hudson went on to play 59 games for Virginia Tech and Louisville, earning starts across the interior before settling in at center. Played through a Grade 2 sprained PCL most of last season. Does this sound like a Dan Campbell type or what?
  • C Duke Clemens, UCLA
    Started 34 straight games at center to finish his career, and was named second-team all-conference after this past season. Received $60,000 in guaranteed money, a good sign that Detroit is high on his chances to contribute this summer.
  • EDGE Isaac Ukwu, Ole Miss
    Had 27.5 tackles for loss and 16.5 sacks in 28 games at James Madison before transferring to Ole Miss for his final season. At 6-foot-2 and 261 pounds, he wasn’t nearly as productive in the SEC, finishing with 4.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks in 13 games.
  • LB Steele Chambers, Ohio State
    Enrolled at Ohio State as a running back before moving to linebacker and making 30 straight starts at WILL linebacker. Led the Buckeyes in tackles last season.
  • LB/S DaRon Gilbert, Northern Illinois
    Detroit native who began his career as a safety at FCS Lafayette, where he had 137 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, two picks and nine passes defended in four seasons. Transferred to Northern Illinois for his final season and moved to linebacker, finishing with 51 tackles. Ran the 40 in 4.70 seconds at his pro day, according to the school
  • S Chelen Garnes, Wake Forest
    Had 66 tackles, two tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, five pass breakups and two fumble recoveries while playing every game this past season, and making 11 starts.
  • LS Hogan Hatten, Idaho
    Started 25 games at long snapper the last two seasons. Also blocked a punt and recorded a safety. I’m officially intrigued.
  • TE Isaac Rex, BYU
    Superb blocker with excellent hands. Caught 112 passes for 1,385 yards and 24 touchdowns, a school record for a tight end
  • K Harrison Mervis, Missouri
    6'0" 241, 4 year starter. Mevis was one of the hottest kickers in college football in the 2021 season but has failed to reach those accuracy standards since that time. While he holds the SEC record for longest field goal make at 61 yards, his stroke and ball flight are inconsistent from distance. Mevis has solid accuracy over the course of his career but is below the preferred 90 percent mark on kicks under 40 yards over the last couple of years. He might not be a reliable kickoff option, which -- paired with his average 2023 season -- might make it tough for him to find an NFL home. He drilled 45 of his 46 extra point attempts his senior year, finishing with 147 of 148 for his career. 24-30 on FGA, 3rd all-time in the SEC with 86 career FGs (103 FGA.)
  • K James Turner, Michigan
    Turner has four years of college experience as a kicker. 189/193 (97.9%) on XP & 65/80 (81.3%) For the first three years at the college ranks, he was with Louisville. There he had two successful seasons sandwiching a rough one. Take a look:
    2020: 40-of-40 on extra points (100%), 13-of-15 on field goals (86.7%), Long: 50
    2021: 46-of-48 on extra points (95.8), 14-of-22 on field goals (63.6%), Long: 46
    2022: 38-of-39 on extra points (97.4), 20-of-22 on field goals (90.9%), Long: 48
    In 2023, Turner entered the transfer portal and helped the Wolverines win a national championship. He converted 65-of-66 extra points, along with 18-of-21 (85.7%) on field goals, with a long of 50 yards—which he accomplished on three different occasions. In the national title game, Turner was a perfect 6-for-6 on kicks (two field goals, four extra points.) Absent another K signing, it would appear the brain trust will once again settle for below average talent with little long range FGA possibility for the fourth consecutive season.
  • DL Nate Lynn, William & Mary
    One of the most outstanding players in school history, Lynn earned 10 postseason All-America honors from various organizations during his final three seasons. A two-time Buck Buchanan Award Finalist for FCS National Defensive Player of the Year, he finished his career ranked second in school history in sacks (28) and TFL (40). Additionally, the three-time first-team All-CAA selection set a school record with 12 forced fumbles. In addition to his record-setting totals, Lynn also finished his career with 192 tackles, three passes defended and two fumble recoveries. Lynn's breakout campaign came during his sophomore season when he equaled a single-season school record for sacks (12) in just 10 games and finished ninth in the final voting for the Buck Buchanan Award. Additionally, he was honored as the Virginia Defensive Player of the Year by VaSID after leading the nation (FCS) in forced fumbles per game (.6) and ranking third in sacks per game (1.2). Came to Detroit for a Top 30 visit.
  • CB Morice Norris, Fresno State
    Norris has played outside corner, inside corner and safety in his two years at Fresno State. In 2023 he had a big season at nickel corner for the Bulldogs. He had two interceptions, 10 pass breakups and 3.5 sacks in 13 games. One of the big things with Norris is his story. He was a basketball player before the football team at Sanger high recruited him to play. He then broke records for the team. He went to Orange Coast community college and played football there before tearing his ACL. Morris was then given a walk on spot at New Mexico State. This was a chance for him to play divsion one college football. Then the coaching staff changed their mind and took that spot away from him. Morris then went to a prospects camp and it was there that Fresno State noticed him (Real 559 - he's a Fresno native.) They brought him in and the rest is history. Now he's an NFL UDFA player with a (very) long shot at making the practice Squad. Came to Detroit for a Top 30 visit.

Last edited:
UDFA K Harrison Mervis from MIZZOU is signing with the Detroit Lions per source.

Thats a big one - he’s the chubby kid with a howitzer leg.

IMPORTANT ETA - make sure you look at the Tweet so you don't miss the #trustmebro hashtag

Last edited:
UDFA K Harrison Mervis from MIZZOU is signing with the Detroit Lions per source.

Thats a big one - he’s the chubby kid with a howitzer leg.

2nd best kicker in the draft. Did kick a 61 yarder, but had a bit of accuracy issues from 40-49 yards. Outdoors and wider hash marks makes kicking more difficult. Nice pickup.

clip of the 352 lb kid from UBC rag dolling defenders

U Sports universities who play American Football only has 27 members, virtually all the players are from Canada. Doubt these guys are even at Juco level. But I like his footwork, he’s very athletic and nimble.

Has no punch, just sets hands and lets them get into his chest, but that’s correctable. One big issue with Sorsdal and Martin last year was functional play strength; small programs don’t have the facilities, trainers and strength coaches that are the norm for Power 5 schools. He’s a redshirt project for 2024.

A concern for me is that in a WR heavy draft that we stood pat. Jamo has not proven himself to be reliable and Reynolds is gone.
DPJ has to step up. But we are a St Brown injury away from big trouble.

Still have training camp and preseason to improve.

Sharp Football - Draft Capital Over Expectation

DCOE seems a little oversimplified as a measure of a team’s draft. Basically it just means you took guys who went later than consensus. Take it with a grain of salt.

All that said, Detroit’s draft class ranked #1 in DCOE. In other words, they achieved the most value relative to draft capital.

Also, I am uncertain if they factor in future draft picks. You would think they do, but just saying….Lions gave up a 2025 3rd and a 2025 4th to take flyers on Sione Vaki and Giovanni Manu. Those two alone don’t strike me as value picks.

CBS lists the Lions pick of Manu as the number 1 reach of the draft. Rated as a FA Lions were berated for giving up 2 draft picks one of them a day 2 pick.

Like Martin from last year’s draft you wonder where these guys would have gone if the Lions hadn’t picked them. Holmes must view them as the equivalent of a first round pick if they develop. Projecting a project.

CBS lists the Lions pick of Manu as the number 1 reach of the draft. Rated as a FA Lions were berated for giving up 2 draft picks one of them a day 2 pick.

Like Martin from last year’s draft you wonder where these guys would have gone if the Lions hadn’t picked them. Holmes must view them as the equivalent of a first round pick if they develop. Projecting a project.

Jordan Mailata was an Australian rugby player with no American football experience whom the Eagles drafted in the 7th round in 2018. Signed a $66M extension earlier this month that makes him the 5th highest OT in football. That's the pie-in-the-sky dream ceiling here.

FWIW I agree the process was poor here. OTOH he went on 11 Top-30 visits and 16 teams came to his pro day. He likely wasn't going to make it to the Lions pick, but we'll never know.

It's OK to criticize Brad Holmes, he is a human capable of making mistakes. I thought 3 picks for Brodric Martin was absurd; 10 draft day trades the last two years seems excessive. But given that Howie Roseman tied the NFL record with 8 trades in the last 3 days, maybe not. Sure is hard to argue with the results either has gotten (obviously the Eagles GM has a longer track record, but I would say Brad compares favorably versus anyone in the league rn.)

Howie Roseman tied the NFL record with 8 trades in the last 3 days, maybe not. Sure is hard to argue with the results either has gotten (obviously the Eagles GM has a longer track record, but I would say Brad compares favorably versus anyone in the league rn.)
A 3rd example would be the 49er GM who threw away a ton of high draft picks on a total bust of a QB, but ended up in the Superbowl anyways. The bottom line is what really counts, not the style points along the way.

24. Terrion Arnold. CB, BAMA, 6-0 / 196 LBS. Perfect fit. I probably would have given up a second and moved up earlier. Brad read the room, only gave up a third to move up. Excellent pick. It took some guts to watch him drop to 24 before moving up.

61. Ennis Rakestraw Jr. CB, MIZZOU, 6-0 / 188 LBS. Also a great pick. I don't see this as doubling up. I see this as answering our safety needs by allowing us to move Branch back to safety.

126. Giovanni Manu. OT, BRITISH COLUMBIA, 6-8 / 350 LBS....I like this pick. Can't teach size, strength, and athleticism. I don't think he is as green as most people think as his coach was a legit OL coach. Needs experience against better talent, but that will come. I can see him on the active roster sometime this year, and a starter by year 3. I think NFL teams valued him much higher than the media consensus.

132. Sione Vaki S, UTAH, 6-0 / 208 LBS. This is the type of guy Dan loves. I am not sure what their plans are for him. Primarily special teams and gadget plays on offense? I am undecided on this, but trust they have plans for him.

189. Mekhi Wingo DL, LSU, 6-1 / 295 LBS...Good pick. More of a depth piece, but about what you expect this late.

210. Christian Mahogany IOL, BC, 6-3 / 322 LBS....Big steal! Getting someone this late who should develop into a starter is a gift.

Another great draft by Brad. I might have liked to have a WR in place of Vaki, but we will see. Not quite last year with four big time starters. But our CB room is vastly improved and now we have some long-term pieces. Our OL got some much needed depth and potentially two future starters. Did not have those high picks to get those all-pros this year, but we made important picks to address our biggest immediate need and several others to help our long-term success. If we eventual get four perennial starters, it is a damn good draft.

Last edited:
Howie Roseman tied the NFL record with 8 trades in the last 3 days, maybe not. Sure is hard to argue with the results either has gotten (obviously the Eagles GM has a longer track record, but I would say Brad compares favorably versus anyone in the league rn.)
A 3rd example would be the 49er GM who threw away a ton of high draft picks on a total bust of a QB, but ended up in the Superbowl anyways. The bottom line is what really counts, not the style points along the way.
Sure but they dumb lucked themselves into getting a near MVP level QB with the last pick in the draft. Just "swap" the Lance pick with the Purdy pick and it all looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread