What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Cowboys Thread. “Dak doesn’t play for money”. Well then shut up and sign a league minimum deal (2 Viewers)

Pickle up for a rough year. Calling it now.
Why? Its not like Washington or New York are threats. I have a hard time not seeing Dallas as a playoff team, and possible/likely division winner.

I think getting Trevon Diggs back is probably a bigger addition than any of the losses were.

They’re just gonna roll with what they have, build a team around the QB and let Dak walk.

Trey Lance will get his shot next year.

ETA - If this is indeed the plan, and that means heavily investing in Oline and defense, I’m all for it.
Even if they let Dak walk, I can't see going into a season with Trey Lance as the plan. That would be a good way to prove how underrated Dak has been the last 8 years though.
I’d be interested in why you think Dak is underrated.

Why? Its not like Washington or New York are threats. I have a hard time not seeing Dallas as a playoff team, and possible/likely division winner.
Ya, I don’t get all the doom and gloom either. We’ll see I guess
10-7 sounds right. #5 or #6 seed. Lose in first round (again). Interesting in hearing a projected different outcome.
Agreed

I’m far from an overly optimistic homer, I just don’t think they’re going to be too bad 🤷🏻‍♂️

10-7 sounds right. #5 or #6 seed. Lose in first round (again). Interesting in hearing a projected different outcome.
Agreed

I’m far from an overly optimistic homer, I just don’t think they’re going to be too bad 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well, no.....they get four bye weeks playing Wash/NYG and are good enough to find 5-7 more winnable games.

But this isn't a team built for the playoffs and it's only gotten harder around them. They would be MUCH better off being bad, but Jerrah won't go for that. It's been like this since 1996, so I don't expect it to change.

I’d be interested in why you think Dak is underrated.
I think he's been a solid to great QB his entire career. He's got a 99.0 career passer rating (5th all-time) he's got a 64% winning percentage (which rates out an average of 11 wins per season) and I'd argue he's had league average weapons for much of it. He's got no real holes in his game, with a good arm, very good accuracy, good decision making, and good mobility.

Yet despite that, he's often talked about like he's not a top-10 QB (I'd argue he's top-5ish) and that he's holding Dallas back. I think he takes a lot of blame for things that aren't his fault at all. He spent the early part of his career with one of the NFL's worst HCs in Jason Garrett, and now has Mike McCarthy who is a lot better, but not exactly great. Dak has had a couple down playoff games, but he's also had some very good ones. He seems to have issues with San Fran, but so do most guys including MVP year Aaron Rodgers. Its pretty much just Mahomes who seems to have their number.

I've seen a lot of discourse that Dak was somehow why they lost the Green Bay game, and I think that is silly talk. Dak didn't give up 41 points. Dak didn't allow the 3rd highest passer rating in a playoff game in NFL history to Jordan Love. I don't think it would have mattered how Dak played in that game, Dallas was incapable of stopping Green Bay.

Dak has produced despite a ton of turnover at the skill spots. It was end of career Dez/Witten and Cole Beasley when he got there, then he had Cooper/Gallup/Schultz, and now is doing it with Lamb/Ferguson. Other than Lamb I don't think any of those guys are elite players (Dez and especially Witten peaked with Romo) but Dak keeps producing. Dallas has had a good OL (though often overrated) for most of his run, though its been pretty mediocre the last couple years.

I think FAR too much is made of his playoff record. Dallas has honestly been pretty spoiled the last 18 years at QB. Romo into Dak, is better than at least 75% of the NFL has had it. I think that gets taken for granted quite a bit. If they move on from Dak, I'd bet the guy who replaces has less than a 20% chance at being as good.

Last edited:
Agreed

Schedule is harder.
We got a lot turnovers last year. Will that continue?
Not sure we can stop the run.
Very thin at a few positions

Agreed

Schedule is harder.

How's the OL? Seems like lots of turnover and new talent. Could be a key question that determines how this offense turns out.

Agreed

Schedule is harder.

How's the OL? Seems like lots of turnover and new talent. Could be a key question that determines how this offense turns out.
Deeper and younger unit. Unproven, but great potential.

Agreed

Schedule is harder.

Deeper and younger unit. Unproven, but great potential.
Of all the positions, I'm not too concerned with offensive line. We already had a few anchors in place - Martin, Steele, Tyler Smith. I expect Guyton and Beebe to enter the year ready and able.

The rest of the offense...? Not good.

We lost a lot of players on the defensive side of the ball too. We are mostly struggling from a few missed early picks on defense... Williams, Charlton, Mazi, Jaylon Smith, LVE... I don't think we will be bottom half of the league bad but expect some regression.

Users who are viewing this thread