What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (79 Viewers)

Haliburton reminds me of more athletic, but worse shooting young Steve Nash. I am not sure if he will ever reach prime Nash, but still really good.
I don’t think he’s more athletic.
Or worse shooting

Nash was an elite shooter, Haliburton is average to slightly above. I kind of put their athletic ability and defense together. Nash was one if the worst defenders in the league.

Nash’s True Shooting Percentage (TSP) was .605. Haliburton’s is .604.

Tyrese averages more assists per game than Nash did, more rebounds per game, half a block more per game, and less turnovers per game. He averages more points per game. He has a higher PER (20.3 versus 20.0).

Nash’s effective FG percentage (which takes into account 3 pointers being worth more points than 2 pointers) was .556. Haliburton is .572.

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive producers.

That's interesting. Just from eye test and memory, I remember Nash being a far more efficient shooter than Halliburton.

Haliburton reminds me of more athletic, but worse shooting young Steve Nash. I am not sure if he will ever reach prime Nash, but still really good.
Or worse shooting

Nash was an elite shooter, Haliburton is average to slightly above. I kind of put their athletic ability and defense together. Nash was one if the worst defenders in the league.

Tyrese averages more assists per game than Nash did, more rebounds per game, half a block more per game, and less turnovers per game. He averages more points per game. He has a higher PER (20.3 versus 20.0).

Nash’s effective FG percentage (which takes into account 3 pointers being worth more points than 2 pointers) was .556. Haliburton is .572.

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive st producer

That is what I am saying, but pretty much everyone's career averages go down at the end of their career. We are comparing Haliburton's averages without that back end. So I give the slight edge to Nash.

Haliburton’s rookie season is 25% of his stats right now. If we compare Haliburton’s first 4 years in the NBA to Nash’s first 4, Haliburton obliterates Nash.

I mean, yeah, if we’re comparing Nash’s MVP seasons to Haliburton right now, then sure, peak of his career MVP seasons Steve Nash is better than what Haliburton has done so far. Haliburton’s play right now is clearly not the same as MVP level Nash. But it’s trending in that direction and a lot of his numbers are are at least approaching that elite territory.

Or worse shooting

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive producers.

That's interesting. Just from eye test and memory, I remember Nash being a far more efficient shooter than Halliburton.

His 8 year stint in Phoenix was really really good and he was at his absolute elite peak. His numbers there are all elite. His stats from that period are definitely better than Haliburton’s. And of course that 8 amazing years is what he is and should be remembered for. That’s a heckuva run.

It just remains to me seen if a still young Haliburton can take his game from Nash’s career average up another level to Nash’s elite.

Or worse shooting

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive st producer

That is what I am saying, but pretty much everyone's career averages go down at the end of their career. We are comparing Haliburton's averages without that back end. So I give the slight edge to Nash.

Haliburton’s rookie season is 25% of his stats right now. If we compare Haliburton’s first 4 years in the NBA to Nash’s first 4, Haliburton obliterates Nash.

I mean, yeah, if we’re comparing Nash’s MVP seasons to Haliburton right now, then sure, peak of his career MVP seasons Steve Nash is better than what Haliburton has done so far. Haliburton’s play right now is clearly not the same as MVP level Nash. But it’s trending in that direction and a lot of his numbers are are at least approaching that elite territory.

I was comparing Nash with Dallas before he blew up in Phoenix.

So what time are the 2 game 7s on tomorrow?
Found this…

The Pacers defeated the Knicks, 116 -103 on Friday to force a Game 7 in their series on Sunday. Those two Eastern Conference teams will play at 2:30 p.m. CT — and the Timberwolves and Nuggets will tip off at 7 p.m. CT. The Wolves game would be televised on TNT.

Or worse shooting

We’re also in the basketball equivalent of the steroid era in terms of inflated offensive statistics.
:goodposting:

League average TS% during Nash’s career was .530. For Halliburton’s career it’s .575.

Or worse shooting

I was comparing Nash with Dallas before he blew up in Phoenix.
Dallas had the opportunity to sigh Nash for a reasonable contract before he went to Phoenix. See also: Brunson to New York.

History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.

So what time are the 2 game 7s on tomorrow?
IND @ NYK 2:30est ABC
MIN @ DEN 7:00est TNT

Man watching Joker at 2 am in a Serbian bar sounds amazing.
Haha that's the plan, as long as it's actually showing somewhere that late on a Sunday night. Belgrade has a big late night party scene though so I could see them keeping places open until 5.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

That place might get really rowdy if they lose though.
No chance they lose.

Am I the only person that thinks this a coin flip?
Definitely not a coin flip but crazier things have happened

Am I better T Wolves fan than @Frostillicus ?
Unpossible

Haha that's the plan, as long as it's actually showing somewhere that late on a Sunday night. Belgrade has a big late night party scene though so I could see them keeping places open until 5.
I know last season they were having watch parties all over the place. I can imagine this playoffs is any different. Basketball is their favorite sport and Jokic is their favorite player.

Or worse shooting

His 8 year stint in Phoenix was really really good and he was at his absolute elite peak. His numbers there are all elite. His stats from that period are definitely better than Haliburton’s. And of course that 8 amazing years is what he is and should be remembered for. That’s a heckuva run.

It just remains to me seen if a still young Haliburton can take his game from Nash’s career average up another level to Nash’s elite.
I think Nash's two MVPs were two of the worst MVP season of the post Jordan era, but he very much revolutionized the NBA. Comparing Steve Nash to what amounts to the deadball era of the NBA to comparing Halliburton to what amounts to (as somebody else mentioned) the steroid era of the NBA is not fair.

Or worse shooting

That’s because he was. Nash was a 42.8% career 3-pt shooter. Halliburton is 39.3%. Nash shot 90.4% on FTs for his career. Halliburton is at 85.6% today.

Both are far above average, but Nash was clearly a superior shooter, particularly when you account for the era he played in vs today.

Or worse shooting

That’s because he was. Nash was a 42.8% career 3-pt shooter. Halliburton is 39.3%. Nash shot 90.4% on FTs for his career. Halliburton is at 85.6% today.

Both are far above average, but Nash was clearly a superior shooter, particularly when you account for the era he played in vs today.
Haliburton is launching from 27 feet and throwing up way more per game. Strictly looking at percentages doesn't tell the full story

Or worse shooting

Haliburton is launching from 27 feet and throwing up way more per game. Strictly looking at percentages doesn't tell the full story

Selecting good shots is part of being a good shooter. Haliburton is still learning that.

I actually think Haliburton might end up having a better career than Nash, but I have a difficult time believing his peak will be as good.

Or worse shooting

Selecting good shots is part of being a good shooter. Haliburton is still learning that.

I actually think Haliburton might end up having a better career than Nash, but I have a difficult time believing his peak will be as good.

Possibly but no way he's winning 2 MVP awards.

Or worse shooting

True, but I am with Kev on this one. Nash should have one MVP at best.

Or worse shooting

True, but I am with Kev on this one. Nash should have one MVP at best.

I'd agree with that as well but we can't rewrite history. Probably the least impressive 2x MVP winner but back to back nonetheless.

Or worse shooting

No doubt. Which is one of the reasons I included FTs. Would love to see advanced stats that make a case for Halliburton. Basic stats and eye test day Nash was better. But again, both are way above average.

My hopes are low. Feels like the Thunder will have to make a bunch of difficult shots to stay close. I took the Mavs -4.5, so lock it in that they will win but by 4 or less.

Users who are viewing this thread