What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (19 Viewers)

Not a mention of any defense

That's where analytics loses me
In what I posted, defense had nothing to do with it. But since you brought it up, Boston was 3rd in defensive net rating in the regular season and ranked 2nd in rebounds and 1st in blocks. They are #1 in the playoffs in net rating and #3 in defensive rating in the playoffs (but played a bunch of tomato cans). They've allowed under 100 points 7 times in the postseason so far. But since they played inferior teams with major injuries, none of that really matters (apparently). They've been on cruise control for months, and a lot of people conclude from that they aren't battle tested and will wilt against whomever comes out of the west.

For those that are pretty insistent that the Celtics have no chance against the Nuggets (if those are the teams that end up in the finals), Boston has won this season by making three pointers in volume. They are now 58-9 (.866) when they make 15 of them (73% of their games) and 14-11 when they don't. The Nuggets are 6-9 when they allow 15 three points and 58-19 when they don't. Boston fell 1 three pointer short of 15 in the first game against Denver (when the Nuggets won by 2 points). The second game Boston only made 11 threes (and the game was still a one possession game in the final minute). Yeah, I get it, Joker is insane, Murray can be clutch, the Nuggets turned the switch on lately, while Boston has mostly been sleepwalking. But the math is the math . . . if the numbers hold, Boston would have 5 games with 15 made threes in a 7-game series. I get it, analytics don't always play out the same, and a calculator has never won a playoff game. I just find it interesting that there's a long list of people that have suggested Boston would lose to any team that comes out of the West.

Their defense is as streaky as their shooting. Last night, it didn't show up until the 4th when they decided they wanted to finish the game off.

Their defense will make me more nervous in the next round because Indy can blow you out in a hurry if you sleepwalk for half the game or Brunson can be unstoppable in the 4th qtr of a tight game.

In what I posted, defense had nothing to do with it. But since you brought it up, Boston was 3rd in defensive net rating in the regular season and ranked 2nd in rebounds and 1st in blocks. They are #1 in the playoffs in net rating and #3 in defensive rating in the playoffs (but played a bunch of tomato cans). They've allowed under 100 points 7 times in the postseason so far. But since they played inferior teams with major injuries, none of that really matters (apparently). They've been on cruise control for months, and a lot of people conclude from that they aren't battle tested and will wilt against whomever comes out of the west.

Defense has everything to do with winning and losing

For those that are pretty insistent that the Celtics have no chance against the Nuggets (if those are the teams that end up in the finals), Boston has won this season by making three pointers in volume. They are now 58-9 (.866) when they make 15 of them (73% of their games) and 14-11 when they don't. The Nuggets are 6-9 when they allow 15 three points and 58-19 when they don't. Boston fell 1 three pointer short of 15 in the first game against Denver (when the Nuggets won by 2 points). The second game Boston only made 11 threes (and the game was still a one possession game in the final minute). Yeah, I get it, Joker is insane, Murray can be clutch, the Nuggets turned the switch on lately, while Boston has mostly been sleepwalking. But the math is the math . . . if the numbers hold, Boston would have 5 games with 15 made threes in a 7-game series. I get it, analytics don't always play out the same, and a calculator has never won a playoff game. I just find it interesting that there's a long list of people that have suggested Boston would lose to any team that comes out of the West.

Their defense is as streaky as their shooting. Last night, it didn't show up until the 4th when they decided they wanted to finish the game off.

Their defense will make me more nervous in the next round because Indy can blow you out in a hurry if you sleepwalk for half the game or Brunson can be unstoppable in the 4th qtr of a tight game.

Defense shouldn't really be streaky

Takes concerted, consistent effort

Shooting, yes

Boston has mostly been going through the motions so far. Call it what you want . . . playing down to their competition, playing with their food, doing just enough to win, letting up too often, etc. As I said, for months now, they've been sleepwalking and saving up their health and energy. I have my doubts they can collectively put forth 48 minutes of hard-nosed effort in a game like the Knicks, but they have been able to step on the gas to still win when they need to. Of course, their issue on several occasions has been giving some top effort for a half or a quarter and then turning off the switch. That's always a concern. We'll have to wait and see if this group is different in keeping focused and motivated for an entire game when it counts the most. Sad, but true.

Shooting, yes
At what point is shooting not streaky and more of a strategy? Boston and Mazzulla have pointed out many times that they try to win a math battle. High volume three point makes will win games the huge majority of the time. If a team hunts three-point shots (ie, takes more threes than twos, moves the ball, and gets good spacing, even a great defensive team will struggle to be able to guard that and stay competitive when a team is making shots. That's where the league is these days. Not saying that defense doesn't matter at all, only that a team with 5 competent three-point shooters on the floor is tough to defend. Obviously, the team making threes needs to play adequate defense, but there really isn't a good counter to teams making a lot of three-pointers.

Shooting, yes
At what point is shooting not streaky and more of a strategy? Boston and Mazzulla have pointed out many times that they try to win a math battle. High volume three point makes will win games the huge majority of the time. If a team hunts three-point shots (ie, takes more threes than twos, moves the ball, and gets good spacing, even a great defensive team will struggle to be able to guard that and stay competitive when a team is making shots. That's where the league is these days. Not saying that defense doesn't matter at all, only that a team with 5 competent three-point shooters on the floor is tough to defend. Obviously, the team making threes needs to play adequate defense, but there really isn't a good counter to teams making a lot of three-pointers.

We'll see how far Second Row Joe's strategies gets them

So far, only so far. Even before Joe

If they win it all, congrats

Shooting, yes

Also, other teams playing consistent and better defense, can shoot 3s well too

With Porzingis guarding the rim and Horford playing the 6th man off the bench, Boston is a top tier defense. All it usually boils down to is their focus, effort and execution and they can make things very, very tough for their opponents.

You all know they still have Jrue Holiday & Derrick White, right? All they need is effort and focus from Tatum and Brown and then Porzingis' rim protection and their defense is championship caliber. Their offense is similarly conceptually to the Warriors in their heyday and their top 8 shoot better than GSW's championship top 8.

Not sure why their offense is a question and their defense isn't really either. I believe they are at least adequate defensively vs Denver and are better offensively than Minnesota. It seems like that may be our collision course unless Minny turns it around, Dallas crashes the party or the Celtics implode (all are quite possible).

With Porzingis guarding the rim and Horford playing the 6th man off the bench, Boston is a top tier defense. All it usually boils down to is their focus, effort and execution and they can make things very, very tough for their opponents.

You all know they still have Jrue Holiday & Derrick White, right? All they need is effort and focus from Tatum and Brown and then Porzingis' rim protection and their defense is championship caliber. Their offense is similarly conceptually to the Warriors in their heyday and their top 8 shoot better than GSW's championship top 8.

Not sure why their offense is a question and their defense isn't really either. I believe they are at least adequate defensively vs Denver and are better offensively than Minnesota. It seems like that may be our collision course unless Minny turns it around, Dallas crashes the party or the Celtics implode (all are quite possible).

All they need is effort and focus from Tatum and Brown

That might be a big 'all'

Seems like Brown is closest, albeit his ball handling

Disagree. It took ****ing Marcus Morris having the shooting night of his life to keep CLE in the game. Dude was 10/13 and 5/6 from three. And they weren't these catch and shoot wide open shots either. Take a typical Marcus Morris shooting night and Boston has a comfortable lead all night

Takes concerted, consistent effort

Shooting, yes

But chicks dig the 3 pointer.

REALLY hoping Minny can pull it off tonight. I'm actually flying to Serbia tonight (for some reason it didn't click that Jokic is from there until now)

If Game 7 is an early-ish game on Sunday, then I'm hoping the pubs will be packed with people watching.

Anyone have a guess at what time that game would be? I'll be 6 hours ahead of EST so a night game would suck.

REALLY hoping Minny can pull it off tonight. I'm actually flying to Serbia tonight (for some reason it didn't click that Jokic is from there until now)

If Game 7 is an early-ish game on Sunday, then I'm hoping the pubs will be packed with people watching.

Anyone have a guess at what time that game would be? I'll be 6 hours ahead of EST so a night game would suck.
That. Would. Be. Awesome.

I’d enjoy that more than being at the game

That. Would. Be. Awesome.

I’d enjoy that more than being at the game
Ya I'm assuming they'd go nuts there for the nuggets but don't really know. Go Minny!

Looks like NYK/IND is scheduled at 330 eastern on Sunday. Wonder if they would put DEN/MIN in that slot if that game isn't needed. That would be sweet for you. If it's a 730 game that gets dicey

My ESPN online stream is trash (and has been all year), which is in such contrast to TNT's which has been reliable and fantastic all season.

That turnover by Gordon with 12 seconds left was massive. If he doesn't throw that away, the Nuggets could have cut it to 15 or 14. Then Gordan and Jokic just standing there for the tip in at the buzzer. Being down 19 was a brutal turn of events after they had built some momentum right before the half.

For the first time in years, Perk has actually been on point tonight. Blind squirrel and shiz. Murray is killing Denver. Malone isn't having a great night either imo.

Users who are viewing this thread