What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Sad Minnesota fan remembers Vikings season is up next (28 Viewers)

Great game with Cavs and Magic. Likely going 7.

Paolo was unreal but two bad hero ball possessions at the end.

I hate what an after thought this series is to the NBA and ESPN/TNT. Would love to see some of these games in prime time and a little more focus on the highlight shows.

Still in awe of Maxey. Doing that in an elimination game at MSG is legendary. If only Philly trusted the process and kept Jimmy this team would be something else.
If the sixers were smart they'd deal embid for a kings ransom. He's not built for the long term.

Still in awe of Maxey. Doing that in an elimination game at MSG is legendary. If only Philly trusted the process and kept Jimmy this team would be something else.
If the sixers were smart they'd deal embid for a kings ransom. He's not built for the long term.
You'd never get equal value in return. Whatever team he goes to will be a playoff team so the picks will be in the 20's. Any plyers you get will be expiring contracts or mediocre because the team will want to try to put something around Embiid.

Unfortunately the Sixers have to ride it out.

Jaime Jaquez already ruled out for Miami with a hip flexor tonight. He's been really good for the Heat.

Maxey was incredible. I think he got two very generous calls in the last minute or so. Looked like he initiated the contact with Brunson on this play and then he travelled and jumped into Mitchell on this three

Obviously PHI got hosed in the other game at end of game calls, so nothing to really complain about though

Saw a crazy stat from the BOS-MIA series. The Celtics are +1 ppg in the 40 minutes with Bam on the court and +10 ppg in the 8 minutes with him on the bench.

Maxey was incredible. I think he got two very generous calls in the last minute or so. Looked like he initiated the contact with Brunson on this play and then he travelled and jumped into Mitchell on this three

Obviously PHI got hosed in the other game at end of game calls, so nothing to really complain about though
I think that first call is technically a foul (Brunson hadn't established legal guarding position and was sliding beside Maxey) but shouldn't be called based on the amout of physicality throughout that game and the playoffs in general. It was a weak call.

The three I think is a foul every time because while Maxey does jump forward into Robinson, he had jumped forward a long way toward Maxey and was already almost on top of him when Maxey started to go up.

No way this ain't going to 7 so the Knicks can choke the series in MSG.

Classic "Knicks gonna Knick" ending.
It’s cute that you think they can out-choke the sixers. The sixers will do something that no one ever has seen in the NBA in order to blow this

I can totally see why you would think that. But one of the biggest Pacers fan sites/blogs is 8points9seconds.com. The fact that everybody in here immediately knows what that is referring to is a pretty good indication of who has experienced more impressive chokes.
Son, we traded away a future all-star for a 19-year old and then tried to kill him with sesame seeds. One of our starters just crashed his lamborghini after possibly making up a story about getting hit by a car just a few months ago, while another starter has somehow developed bell's palsy (which is a better palsy). We had a GM who was installed by the league and turned out to be running burners on twitter for months. This is only scratching the surface.

I will acknowledge that if we are going this big picture, Dolan has orchestrated some wild stuff, so it is fair to give the Knicks their due in the **** with their fans department, but I will still take the Sixers cavalcade of tomfoolery any day of the week.

dead cat bounces last night i am afraid brohans take that to the bank
You shut your whore mouth. ;) Take that to the bank, brohans.
Schrodinger's cat is considered simultaneously both alive and dead, while it is unobserved in a closed box. However, sometimes that box is opened and a Greek Freak jumps out with another friend wearing a watch.

It’s cute that you think they can out-choke the sixers. The sixers will do something that no one ever has seen in the NBA in order to blow this

I can totally see why you would think that. But one of the biggest Pacers fan sites/blogs is 8points9seconds.com. The fact that everybody in here immediately knows what that is referring to is a pretty good indication of who has experienced more impressive chokes.
Son, we traded away a future all-star for a 19-year old and then tried to kill him with sesame seeds. One of our starters just crashed his lamborghini after possibly making up a story about getting hit by a car just a few months ago, while another starter has somehow developed bell's palsy (which is a better palsy). We had a GM who was installed by the league and turned out to be running burners on twitter for months. This is only scratching the surface.

I will acknowledge that if we are going this big picture, Dolan has orchestrated some wild stuff, so it is fair to give the Knicks their due in the **** with their fans department, but I will still take the Sixers cavalcade of tomfoolery any day of the week.

That was such a baffling trade at the time - Bridges was exactly the type of player they needed at the time PLUS he was a hometown kid. He ended up being a better player than expected, but he did develop exactly into the type of player the draft prognosticators thought he would be. That said, he'll never be an All-Star.

I hate what an after thought this series is to the NBA and ESPN/TNT. Would love to see some of these games in prime time and a little more focus on the highlight shows.
Yea I imagine the last 1-2 games will be.

Paolo put up 39 in a road playoff game last night. 21 years old. If the Magic put the right pieces around him he could be unbelievable.

dead cat bounces last night i am afraid brohans take that to the bank
You shut your whore mouth. ;) Take that to the bank, brohans.
i mean if anteater and or dame come back then there is always a chance but as much as i love them i dont see our reserve guys pulling out another two but hey there is always a chance take that to the bank bromigo

Paolo put up 39 in a road playoff game last night. 21 years old. If the Magic put the right pieces around him he could be unbelievable.
Watching Paolo play at Duke, he reminded me of a young Carmelo Anthony. Seeing him play for the Magic, it's like a young Melo hooping for the Nuggets.

Paolo has the bigger body and more developed skill set (really, that's all the top players now I guess), but I'm slightly concerned the upside remains the same. Great, great player that will make All-Star games, receive recognition, but be unable to win when matched up against the best of the best.

I would be more concerned about the Knicks loss at home, then the Pacers loss on the road. Knicks have won playoff series, have experience and choked away game 5. The Pacers are new to the playoffs and closing teams out on the road is not only difficult, but usually takes time before teams can do it consistently. Plus even if Dame and/or Giannis come back how healthy are they?

I think the 76ers have a good shot to force a game 7 and a punchers chance to win the series. I am fairly confident the Pacers end this series in game 6.

Should anyone have any interest, Basketball Reference has the probabilities of advancing based on 10,000 simulations at:

BOS-MIA 98.3% - 1.7%
NYK-PHI 80.3 - 19.7%
IND-MIL 75.8% - 24.2%
CLE-ORL 76.9% - 23.1%
LAC-DAL 57.0% - 43.0%

Saw a crazy stat from the BOS-MIA series. The Celtics are +1 ppg in the 40 minutes with Bam on the court and +10 ppg in the 8 minutes with him on the bench.

I see Bam as being -6, +20, -9, -9 in the 4 games against Boston. I don't get how they are getting the +1 and +10 out of that

I see Bam as being -6, +20, -9, -9 in the 4 games against Boston. I don't get how they are getting the +1 and +10 out of that
Using the numbers you posted . . . -6, +20, -9, -9 added together equals -4 points across 4 games. That's -1 ppg. Boston is +44 total across the series. Bam has averaged 39:07 minutes played per game. That leaves +40 total points for Boston across 8:53 of playing time. Forty points across 4 games = +10 ppg in that limited amount of time.

Watching Paolo play at Duke, he reminded me of a young Carmelo Anthony. Seeing him play for the Magic, it's like a young Melo hooping for the Nuggets.

Paolo has the bigger body and more developed skill set (really, that's all the top players now I guess), but I'm slightly concerned the upside remains the same. Great, great player that will make All-Star games, receive recognition, but be unable to win when matched up against the best of the best.
I think you are selling a young Melo short - their stats don't look much different through their first two years, but Melo came in during the height of the "dead ball" era of the NBA. The average Ortg of an NBA team was 102.9 his rookie year vs 114.8 for Paolo with 10% more possessions per game in 2023.

Melo was an overrated player over the course of his career, but it wasn't due to his skill set - he was a ridiculously smooth and talented player. If he would have come along 20 years later like Paolo, the Nuggets would have put the ball in his hands much and let him initiate the offense as the young star of the team, but that wasn't really the way of the NBA until really the James Harden Rockets. Ultimately, IMO, the things that kept Melo from being a tier-1 HOFer were a combination of lifestyle when he was young (the Nuggets for most of his career were filled with partiers and problem personalities), selfishness, and a lack of effort on the defense end of the court. I feel like he was starting to figure some of that out toward the end of his time with the Nuggets and into his early time with the Knicks but then the Knicks fell apart around him.

Embiid is definitely going to pull up lame with a strained muscle no one has ever heard of before

Woj saying Porzingis will miss at least a few games. Whatever that means. Celtics should hope ORL-CLE goes to 7 games.
Porzingis is needed to win it all, but they can beat anyone in the East without him.

If he misses a week or 2 I don't think it is a big problem other than getting him back in the flow.
This is the same injury that has kept Giannis out for a full three weeks so far, right?
That’s what Tim bontemps says

The issue with Giannis, according to common wisdom around here, is that his injured left calf (soleus) is a bigger problem because he has a history of left achilles issues, including as recently as missing games in March for a strained left achilles. The theory being that a strained/weakened left calf might expose his left achilles to a more serious injury. I have no idea the truth of any of this.
Joe Mazzulla gave an update on KP.

“I don’t know the specifics of it, they used a lot of fancy words,” Mazzulla said. “But I do know it’ll be kind of a more reevaluated next week. We’ll see how he responds to the treatment and how much better he gets here in the first week. I think that’s kind of the goal is to just get crazy in the next week and see where we’re at from there. Anytime one guy goes out, you can’t replace that guy, But I think the strength of this team, one, is the core that we’ve had here for a long time but also the depth that we’ve been able to build. I think that’s why it’s important throughout the season when you have back-to-backs or guys sitting out and different lineups that you develop different identities, so you take advantage of those.”

As far as the KP vs. Giannis debate goes, Porzingas may have a less severe strain that might take less time to recover from. A lot will depend on how he responds to the treatment and if he has a setback. Not what people want for an answer, but no one really can guess at how one athlete recovers compared to another.

They were saying on WIP that if Joel picks up another flagrant...he'd be suspended for one game. Is that true?
For flagrant fouls in the playoffs, a player must serve a one-game suspension every time they accrue at least three flagrant foul points (a Flagrant 1 foul accrues one point, a Flagrant 2 fouls accrues 2 points).

Does he have two flagrants this series?

They were saying on WIP that if Joel picks up another flagrant...he'd be suspended for one game. Is that true?

I don't watch a ton of NBA regular season and don't catch a lot of Embiid games but I've been kind of shocked by his borderline dirty play this series. Not something I thought of from him. There's been a handful of plays where he's teetering on the edge, IMO. No clue on whether he's close to a suspension.

Looks like he does have two. So yea, if he commits a flagrant in the next game he will miss game 7 (if Philly wins)

I see a lot of Melo too. He was a top 5-10 player in his prime who didn’t have the right guys around him. If Paolo achieves that I’ll be pleased. Idk 39 in a road playoff game at 21 tells me there is a lot of upside. We’ll see. I don’t think he’ll ever be best player in the league but top 5-7 is obtainable.

They already have a potential second guy or maybe third guy in Franz and two defensive studs in Isaac and Suggs but they definitely need somebody else.

39 in a road playoff game at 21 tells me there is a lot of upside.
I had no idea what company this put him in, but here were all the times guys the same age accomplished it.

Ja - 47 points
LeBron - 45
Luka - 43
Luka - 42
Tracy McGrady - 42
Magic - 42 (was only 20)
Ant - 41
LeBron - 41

SIxers with a huge win...to only poop the bed in PHI in Game 6.
Nah, they will win so they can provide maximal torture when they lose in game 7
this is my guess. I am thinking Embiid will hit overs next game too. And game 7 will be the soul crusher.

I turned the game off with like 30 seconds left down 6 points just grossed out by this team :bag:. I think my money is lost and Knicks will take the series, but if some minor miracle occurs and the Sixers advance Joel may play in a wheelchair next series

I don't watch a ton of NBA regular season and don't catch a lot of Embiid games but I've been kind of shocked by his borderline dirty play this series. Not something I thought of from him. There's been a handful of plays where he's teetering on the edge, IMO. No clue on whether he's close to a suspension.

Posted this a while back - Embiid is arguably the dirtiest player in the NBA.

From some dude on Reddit:

Joel Embiid has more flagrant fouls than Draymond Green in just over half the games

I tried to copy and paste everything but I'm a bit tipsy putting my daughter to bed so this is the best you get.

Jesus. A DIFFERENT Porter brother got arrested for DUI (this is not the one that got sentenced recently)

Solid parenting job done with that family
I don't think you can blame parents for mistakes that their adult children make.

It is remarkable that a couple weeks after one brother is sentenced to six years in jail or whatever for his DUI, this brother doesn't have the sense to not drink and drive as well.

I have to think the whole Fulks forgetting how to shoot thing was the biggest WTF in the last 8-10 years with this team. Actually I take that back and it has to be 2nd. Colangelo saga is the #1 WTF of this whole "process era" for the team

Jesus. A DIFFERENT Porter brother got arrested for DUI (this is not the one that got sentenced recently)

Solid parenting job done with that family
I don't think you can blame parents for mistakes that their adult children make.

It is remarkable that a couple weeks after one brother is sentenced to six years in jail or whatever for his DUI, this brother doesn't have the sense to not drink and drive as well.

Can't blame them in the moment, but adult decision making is at least partially influenced by how you were brought up.

The porter family was extremely religious (to the point where Michael cut certain schools from his recruitment because the coach swore too much). Seems like all the boys decided to rebel as adults

Joel Embiid has more flagrant fouls than Draymond Green in just over half the games

I tried to copy and paste everything but I'm a bit tipsy putting my daughter to bed so this is the best you get.
oh c'mon now. Sure his 1st flagrant was bad, and could have been a flagrant 2. He admitted to it, and provided a reason for it (can't find link, but he said he messed up. kind of had a PTSD moment (his words) when a play like that ended up with the guy up landing on his knee and getting him out for a good chunk. maybe against GS?

the one last night is technically a flagrant, but certainly not a dirty play. he was going for the ball, same as Brunson. just happened to hit him in the face while scrambling for the ball

SIxers with a huge win...to only poop the bed in PHI in Game 6.
Nah, they will win so they can provide maximal torture when they lose in game 7
this is my guess. I am thinking Embiid will hit overs next game too. And game 7 will be the soul crusher.

I turned the game off with like 30 seconds left down 6 points just grossed out by this team :bag:. I think my money is lost and Knicks will take the series, but if some minor miracle occurs and the Sixers advance Joel may play in a wheelchair next series
Excellent reverse jinx execution.

oh c'mon now. Sure his 1st flagrant was bad, and could have been a flagrant 2. He admitted to it, and provided a reason for it (can't find link, but he said he messed up. kind of had a PTSD moment (his words) when a play like that ended up with the guy up landing on his knee and getting him out for a good chunk. maybe against GS?

the one last night is technically a flagrant, but certainly not a dirty play. he was going for the ball, same as Brunson. just happened to hit him in the face while scrambling for the ball
:shrug:
For their careers, Embiid has 24 flagrant fouls in 491 total games (4.9% of games, he has a flagrant)
Draymond has 21 in 970 games (2.2%)
Westbrook has 22 in 1282 games (1.7%)

Trying to think of some other players that are considered dirty - Chris Paul has 8 flagrants, Nurkic has 7, Gobert has 13, Dillon Brooks has 12 (2.7% of games), and Smart has 11. Dwight Howard has 29 in 1367 games (2.1%) but he's retired.

Embiid is in a class of his own.

The Robinson leg pull was bad. I thought he should have been kicked out. That could have ended a guys career. I kind of thought the one last night wasn't deliberate; but players like Embiid do earn a "guilty until proven innocent" rap.

Users who are viewing this thread