What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Sad Minnesota fan remembers Vikings season is up next (49 Viewers)

Nuggets -230
Wolves +195
I think those are some pretty good odds if you wanted to bet on the Wolves. The Nuggets looked pretty ****ty in the Lakers series.
I thought it would be a littler tighter to be honest. But I also think Wolves fans are riding a huge high and Nuggets fans are probably way more cautious, so these odds being where they are tells me Vegas loves the Nuggets. Good thing Vegas is always wrong.

Right?

Nuggets -230
Wolves +195
I think those are some pretty good odds if you wanted to bet on the Wolves. The Nuggets looked pretty ****ty in the Lakers series.
I thought it would be a littler tighter to be honest. But I also think Wolves fans are riding a huge high and Nuggets fans are probably way more cautious, so these odds being where they are tells me Vegas loves the Nuggets. Good thing Vegas is always wrong.

Right?

There is definitely some recency bias from the fans (and probably the ESPN types) thinking that the Wolves looked great against a good team that many picked to win, and the Nuggets looked soft vs a team that any reasonable "expert" picked the Nuggets to beat reasonably easily. I would probably have set that line at closer to +160-170 if I were setting it, being that the Nuggets have home court and it's the best home court in the NBA, statistically speaking.

From the Nuggets perspective, I think there are a few things that are legitimate worries, but most of the big statistical indicators that point to issues are mostly abnormalities (3pt% - they missed so many open threes from good shooters, FTr - the Lakers don't foul much and generally get a kind whistle). My worries are 1. Jokic just didn't play that well - statistically he looks great, but it didn't feel great, 2. The team came out slow in all five games and seemed flat for much more of the series then the seemed engaged, 3. The bench was godawful, some of that will get better (I trust Braun and Watson to be what they were this season) but some of it won't (I also trust Jackson and Holiday to be what they were this season), 4. They are kind of injured - KCP has a finger issue and now a sprained ankle and Murray has this calf strain.

I also think the Wolves offense will come down to earth with a real defense against them. Still, the only two teams that worry me against the Nuggets are Boston and Minnesota.

Stan Van Gundy just had one of the most biased announcer games I've heard in a long time. Comments I found distractingly odd:
"Heat are just missing wide open shots" - Kenny Smith commented during his analysis about how tough the Celtics were making it on the Heat shooters
"Everyone is playing terrible except for Derrick White" - Tatum had a good game as did Horford and Porzingis before his injury. Brown was the only one who sucked tonight and he never mentioned him.
"I don't think that is a flagrant foul and that's on Tatum for trying to shoot the ball" (on the play that caused Tatum to roll his ankle after the whistle)

He almost made zero positive comments about the Celtics for the entire game except for Derrick White. Gave them zero credit for a game where they led by 20 on the road almost the entire game. Was literally calling their defensive effort bad after Miami scored 12 points in the 2nd quarter.

I think he hates Tatum because he whines so much, but I don't think that level of vitriol needs to be on the main national broadcast play-by-play. It was really weird. It's like he has a vendetta and it is showing in 1/2 of his comments.

Come on it is bad enough we have to listen to everyone claim how bad the refs are and how they biased against my favorite team, now we are going to do it with announcers?
THE WORST

30-11-9 for Lebron to end his season. I hate he’s on this crap *** team and even if some of the roster is his fault I hope he gets the hell out of there.

How can you feel bad for him? A big problem with the roster is his fault, if he demanded a trade they would trade him and he just resigned last year. He seems happy to play out his last few years with the Lakers winning nothing.

30-11-9 for Lebron to end his season. I hate he’s on this crap *** team and even if some of the roster is his fault I hope he gets the hell out of there.

How can you feel bad for him? A big problem with the roster is his fault, if he demanded a trade they would trade him and he just resigned last year. He seems happy to play out his last few years with the Lakers winning nothing.
Agreed, I think it's hard to feel "badly" for him because a lot of this is his doing. I also think I understand Capella's point though that, longevity-wise, Lebron has had the best career (and I don't think that's debatable) so it's unfortunate that Lebron's last few years won't be remember proportionate to how well he played in that stretch. But, I don't feel badly for Lebron about that. If anything I feel "badly" for basketball history.

Stan Van Gundy just had one of the most biased announcer games I've heard in a long time. Comments I found distractingly odd:
"Heat are just missing wide open shots" - Kenny Smith commented during his analysis about how tough the Celtics were making it on the Heat shooters
"Everyone is playing terrible except for Derrick White" - Tatum had a good game as did Horford and Porzingis before his injury. Brown was the only one who sucked tonight and he never mentioned him.
"I don't think that is a flagrant foul and that's on Tatum for trying to shoot the ball" (on the play that caused Tatum to roll his ankle after the whistle)

He almost made zero positive comments about the Celtics for the entire game except for Derrick White. Gave them zero credit for a game where they led by 20 on the road almost the entire game. Was literally calling their defensive effort bad after Miami scored 12 points in the 2nd quarter.

I think he hates Tatum because he whines so much, but I don't think that level of vitriol needs to be on the main national broadcast play-by-play. It was really weird. It's like he has a vendetta and it is showing in 1/2 of his comments.

Come on it is bad enough we have to listen to everyone claim how bad the refs are and how they biased against my favorite team, now we are going to do it with announcers?
THE WORST
:midddlefinger:

I agree. I think he may be trying to introduce some uncertainty to force the Lakers to max him out and draft his kid. I don’t think there’s a real shot of him leaving.

He did get them a title. Kobe hung on for 2 seasons just chucking up 20 shots a game and not making the playoffs but the Lakers fans still loved him and endured it because of the rings he had gotten them.

Bc he’s my favorite player and I want to see him competing for a title, not depending on D’Angelo Russell jacking up 25 shots while losing in round 1.

THE WORST
:midddlefinger:
i still love you, gb

Bc he’s my favorite player and I want to see him competing for a title, not depending on D’Angelo Russell jacking up 25 shots while losing in round 1.
I thought he was supposed to depend more on AD when he came aboard. Him going 8/11 from the field in a game lost by 2 pts confuses the heck out of me.

If the Lakers had just one guy besides LeBron who could shoot close to .400 from 3 in the playoffs, they'd still be playing right now.

If the Lakers had just one guy besides LeBron who could shoot close to .400 from 3 in the playoffs, they'd still be playing right now.
Meh. Lakers shot 30% from three for the series. Denver shot 31%
Lakers shot .299, Nuggets .308. That .009 means something when the games are as close as most of them were. If both teams shot .308, the Lakers would still be playing right now. Point being, though they have a ton of crud on the roster, if the Lakers could find a guy who shot 3's consistently at something like a .400 clip (and consistently is key here, Russel can't be depended on), they'd be pretty tough. I don't know how they find that guy though. Maybe they can get lucky in the draft.

I get it. Curry is my favorite current player, but I don't feel bad for him when you know he had a say in bringing Green back and maybe Klay.

Lakers shot .299, Nuggets .308. That .009 means something when the games are as close as most of them were. If both teams shot .308, the Lakers would still be playing right now. Point being, though they have a ton of crud on the roster, if the Lakers could find a guy who shot 3's consistently at something like a .400 clip (and consistently is key here, Russel can't be depended on), they'd be pretty tough. I don't know how they find that guy though. Maybe they can get lucky in the draft.
That .009 is 1.3 additional threes made. Hypothetically, and additional three could have made a difference or it could have been an extra three in game 1 or game 4 and would have had zero difference.

I heard a stat that prior to game 5 the nuggets were shooting 25% on wide open threes, and most of those were coming from MPJ, KCP, and Murray who are all better than 40% three points shooters.

That .009 is 1.3 additional threes made. Hypothetically, and additional three could have made a difference or it could have been an extra three in game 1 or game 4 and would have had zero difference.

I heard a stat that prior to game 5 the nuggets were shooting 25% on wide open threes, and most of those were coming from MPJ, KCP, and Murray who are all better than 40% three points shooters.
MPJ shot .488 on 3's for the series on 41 shots, leading the team for 3pa. That's pretty ****ing good, whether he was open or not.

Contrast that with DeAngelo Russell who shot 44 3s at .318 for the series, leading the team for 3pa. That's pretty ****ing bad, whether he was open or not.

If the Lakers had a guy who could hit open 3's at 40% on drive and kicks, the Lakers are still playing. Instead LeBron and AD collapse the defense and it's brick city when they send the ball out to open shooters. You're nuts if you don't think that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Team Odds
Los Angeles Lakers +250
San Antonio Spurs +500
Philadelphia 76ers +500
Oklahoma City Thunder +750
Cleveland Cavaliers +1000
Chicago Bulls +1200
Los Angeles Clippers +1500
Detroit Pistons +1800
The Field +475

Early odds for Lebron next season.

Oh come on now. He's got that in season tournament trophy to relish.

Not loving to read this stat as a Minnesota fan... Denver almost certainly will shoot better against them just to return to the statistical mean.

MPJ shot .488 on 3's for the series on 41 shots, leading the team for 3pa. That's pretty ****ing good, whether he was open or not.

Contrast that with DeAngelo Russell who shot 44 3s at .318 for the series, leading the team for 3pa. That's pretty ****ing bad, whether he was open or not.

If the Lakers had a guy who could hit open 3's at 40% on drive and kicks, the Lakers are still playing. Instead LeBron and AD collapse the defense and it's brick city when they send the ball out to open shooters. You're nuts if you don't think that makes a difference.
In this magical world, do the Lakers still get their huge, season-long free throw advantage or do they now get called for fouls at anywhere near the same rate as other teams? Asking for a friend that enjoys taking things to the bank.

In this magical world, do the Lakers still get their huge, season-long free throw advantage or do they now get called for fouls at anywhere near the same rate as other teams? Asking for a friend that enjoys taking things to the bank.
That'd be a question for the refs, doesn't really have much to do with the Lakers' roster issues. But since you mentioned it, it'd be nice if the Lakers could find guys who hit more of their free throws too. In the end they made only 4 more free throws than the Nuggets.

That'd be a question for the refs, doesn't really have much to do with the Lakers' roster issues. But since you mentioned it, it'd be nice if the Lakers could find guys who hit more of their free throws too. In the end they made only 4 more free throws than the Nuggets.

If only they could get that one player who never, ever misses free throws...

If only they could get that one player who never, ever misses free throws...
More != all. Lakers shot 76.6% for the series, Nuggets shot 86.1%. That difference matters too, especially when your offense is predicated on scoring inside and drawing fouls (since they can't hit 3s).

Haven't seen a more detailed prognosis for Porzingas other than it's thought he avoided serious injury. He's been listed as out for Game 5 against the Heat. In listening to some talking heads, they were majorly concerned about the injury and felt the Celtics would be doomed if he missed time. But they actually were better when he didn't play this year (21-4) with a +12.6 net rating. In games without KP against playoff teams, they were 10-3 (wins against PHO x 3, PHI x 2, ORL, LAC, MIN, DAL, NOP with losses against IND, LAC, MIL).

I remember the excuse being that they had to be healthy to gel as a unit. Well they were pretty healthy all year. Russell aint it but there's definitely more to it. I think Ham has to go.

I remember the excuse being that they had to be healthy to gel as a unit. Well they were pretty healthy all year. Russell aint it but there's definitely more to it. I think Ham has to go.
Yeah, Ham made a less than ideal situation worse. His affinity for some players that didn't merit as much run as he gave them and his constant experimentation with the rotation were major issues this season. Maybe Max Christie isn't the answer, but you're never going to find that out keeping him buried on the depth chart behind guys like Dinwiddie and Prince - and they're definitely not the answer.

The Nuggets are a really good team because they have quality guys filling all the roles you need to compete in the modern NBA around their two leads. The Lakers aren't because they're LeBron, AD and a bunch of leftovers who fit under the salary cap. Reaves and Hachimura, maybe Vanderbilt could be contributors on a contender, but they're all having to play like one or two rungs higher than they should be because the roster is a mess, if that makes any sense. That Westbrook acquisition really messed this team up and they haven't recovered since. Now there's rumors of having a sequel with Trae. You'd have thought they'd learn from that lesson, but...

Team Odds
Los Angeles Lakers +250
San Antonio Spurs +500
Philadelphia 76ers +500
Oklahoma City Thunder +750
Cleveland Cavaliers +1000
Chicago Bulls +1200
Los Angeles Clippers +1500
Detroit Pistons +1800
The Field +475

Early odds for Lebron next season.

Not sure how the contracts would work but Lebron on the Knicks would be pretty awesome.

Woj saying Porzingis will miss at least a few games. Whatever that means. Celtics should hope ORL-CLE goes to 7 games.
Porzingis is needed to win it all, but they can beat anyone in the East without him.

If he misses a week or 2 I don't think it is a big problem other than getting him back in the flow.
This is the same injury that has kept Giannis out for a full three weeks so far, right?

Woj saying Porzingis will miss at least a few games. Whatever that means. Celtics should hope ORL-CLE goes to 7 games.
Porzingis is needed to win it all, but they can beat anyone in the East without him.

If he misses a week or 2 I don't think it is a big problem other than getting him back in the flow.
This is the same injury that has kept Giannis out for a full three weeks so far, right?
That’s what Tim bontemps says

Users who are viewing this thread