What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (21 Viewers)

Yay - they finally won one!
It’s odd that this seems to be the consensus. Objectively looking at this series—the Lakers have arguably outplayed the Nuggets for most of it. They have been ahead at halftime in every game, they gave away game two more so than Denver winning it, and the only game in the series where one team was in control was last night. Denver is a championship caliber contending team—and the Lakers have fought them hard. I just don’t see the narrative that the Lakers are somehow in one of the worst roster predicaments in the NBA. They are competing with the champs without their second best defender—Vanderbilt, they are without another decent wing defender in Reddish, and have been without Christian wood. I don’t see them coming back to win this series by any means—but I also don’t see the notion that they are some mediocre laughing stock either. Going into next season—there will probably be 10 or fewer teams that have a legitimate shot at the title (of those 10, probably 4-5 will be considered elite tier). I would put the Lakers in that 5-10 range.

Lakers were a play-in team
They were a play in team that was 4 victories away from being a top 4 seed. They finished ahead of the Kings and the Pelicans and they are absolutely giving Denver a very hard fight. I get that the Lakers are an easy team to hate and to clown—but 6he notion that the team is hopeless and is garbage is more feeling than fact.

It’s odd that this seems to be the consensus. Objectively looking at this series—the Lakers have arguably outplayed the Nuggets for most of it. They have been ahead at halftime in every game, they gave away game two more so than Denver winning it, and the only game in the series where one team was in control was last night. Denver is a championship caliber contending team—and the Lakers have fought them hard. I just don’t see the narrative that the Lakers are somehow in one of the worst roster predicaments in the NBA. They are competing with the champs without their second best defender—Vanderbilt, they are without another decent wing defender in Reddish, and have been without Christian wood. I don’t see them coming back to win this series by any means—but I also don’t see the notion that they are some mediocre laughing stock either. Going into next season—there will probably be 10 or fewer teams that have a legitimate shot at the title (of those 10, probably 4-5 will be considered elite tier). I would put the Lakers in that 5-10 range.

They were a play in team that was 4 victories away from being a top 4 seed. They finished ahead of the Kings and the Pelicans and they are absolutely giving Denver a very hard fight. I get that the Lakers are an easy team to hate and to clown—but 6he notion that the team is hopeless and is garbage is more feeling than fact.

I don't see them as hopeless, FWIW

But they are what they are, with 4 less victories than they could have had

Kawhi out indefinitely, no timetable.
Are the Clippers in a worse spot than the Suns franchise wise?
It’s strange to consider that many people considered the Gobert trade to be one of the worst deals of all time. The Timberwolves have gotten really good since making that deal. However, if one considers that Kawhi effectively forced the Clippers to trade Shai+ five first round picks away for Paul George before he would commit to come to the Clippers is wild. Lebron is called LeGm—but he actually delivered a ring to the Lakers—and is clowned right and left. Kawhi forced the Clippers to trade away a guy that is a top 3 MVP candidate away—and nobody gives him any criticism.

Two years in a row they have been a play in team and they are old with no real way of getting better. They are on the way down and hopeless isn't the right word because stars always want to go to LA as free agents/ sign and trades but the next few years are purgatory as best.

It’s strange to consider that many people considered the Gobert trade to be one of the worst deals of all time. The Timberwolves have gotten really good since making that deal. However, if one considers that Kawhi effectively forced the Clippers to trade Shai+ five first round picks away for Paul George before he would commit to come to the Clippers is wild. Lebron is called LeGm—but he actually delivered a ring to the Lakers—and is clowned right and left. Kawhi forced the Clippers to trade away a guy that is a top 3 MVP candidate away—and nobody gives him any criticism.

He didn't force them. They could have chose to not sign Kawhi or say no and see if he still came.

Lebron has done this several times after he was on the team. Kawhi did it once.

The two situations can both be bad/dumb

Maybe, depends on who blows it up first.
The Clippers don't have any great trade assets though. Maybe they can get a little something out of an extended and trade or sign and trade for George. Other than that, they have Zubac and the corpse of Kawhi. They might be able to get a little bit of stuff for some of the role players but nothing exciting.

They own more of their draft picks but have significantly less to trade than the Suns. So, I think they are probably in a slightly worse situation but the downside isn't as low.

What a weird sequence, Lowry fouls Hart no call, then gets an offensive foul call all while Embiid is giving Brunson an elbow as he runs by.

How can anyone like the 76ers?

The Clippers don't have any great trade assets though. Maybe they can get a little something out of an extended and trade or sign and trade for George. Other than that, they have Zubac and the corpse of Kawhi. They might be able to get a little bit of stuff for some of the role players but nothing exciting.

They own more of their draft picks but have significantly less to trade than the Suns. So, I think they are probably in a slightly worse situation but the downside isn't as low.

Very true, but Jerry West is still part of the Clippers front office.

Very true, but Jerry West is still part of the Clippers front office.
The Suns have an overzealous owner and probably one of the worst GMs in the NBA, so that definitely is a demerit for the Suns. The Clippers have a new arena opening next season and are trying to be relevant. Neither is going to likely end in a rebuild this off-season.

He didn't force them. They could have chose to not sign Kawhi or say no and see if he still came.

The lakers also didn’t have to pull the trigger on the moves that Lebron encouraged either—so let’s keep the standard the same. Regardless—one of the dudes delivered a ring and the other hasn’t delivered anything since coming to the Clippers and encouraging deals. The Lakers were an irrelevant franchise the several years before Lebron got there. I’m not sure if the Clippers became more relevant with Kawhi than they were when they had the lob city roster.

In any case, I don’t agree about the Lakers having no way to get better. The same stuff that is being said now was being said last season—and I think the roster and how well they played has gotten better this year vs last. As I said in an earlier post—I would bet that going into next year—the Lakers will be a top 6-10 favorite to win a title. That’s a “purgatory” that most franchises would love to be in.

The lakers also didn’t have to pull the trigger on the moves that Lebron encouraged either—so let’s keep the standard the same. Regardless—one of the dudes delivered a ring and the other hasn’t delivered anything since coming to the Clippers and encouraging deals. The Lakers were an irrelevant franchise the several years before Lebron got there. I’m not sure if the Clippers became more relevant with Kawhi than they were when they had the lob city roster.

In any case, I don’t agree about the Lakers having no way to get better. The same stuff that is being said now was being said last season—and I think the roster and how well they played has gotten better this year vs last. As I said in an earlier post—I would bet that going into next year—the Lakers will be in a top 6-10 favorite to win a title. That’s a “purgatory” that most franchises would love to be in.

Lebron was already on the Lakers, that is totally different then doing something for someone that isn't on your team yet.

Lakers have zero chance of a title next year unless someone does something stupid. They have no money or assets with a very old team.

They appear to be out all their first round picks (outright or through swaps) through 2029 so the pick cupboard is pretty bare for LAC as well.

What a weird sequence, Lowry fouls Hart no call, then gets an offensive foul call all while Embiid is giving Brunson an elbow as he runs by.

lol what a weird posting from someone who doesn't stop complaining about Sixers fans complaining about the refs.

Your bias is next level.

lol what a weird posting from someone who doesn't stop complaining about Sixers fans complaining about the refs.

Your bias is next level.

Wut, it had nothing to do with the refs. I was asking how people can like this team. They flop, and cheap shot constantly. Not even fun to watch.

Wut, it had nothing to do with the refs. I was asking how people can like this team. They flop, and cheap shot constantly. Not even fun to watch.
ok lol

Because Lowry fouled him and Hart played on and then Lowry acted like he got shot.

ok lol

And your guy Embiid throwing elbows as Brunson runs by, the game before Embiid is grabbing a jump shooters legs trying to hurt him while laying on the ground after another flop.

Neat team.

ok lol

And your guy Embiid throwing elbows as Brunson runs by, the game before Embiid is grabbing a jump shooters legs trying to hurt him while laying on the ground after another flop.

Neat team.
Calm down. I guess when you have nothing to cheer for with your own team, the only way to keep things interesting is to CONSTANTLY complain about the Sixers players, fans, etc.

ok lol

Neat team.
Calm down. I guess when you have nothing to cheer for with your own team, the only way to keep things interesting is to CONSTANTLY complain about the Sixers players, fans, etc.

That is it, I don't just watch playoff basketball and talk about who is playing right now and give my opinion. I only just hate the 76ers.

ok lol

Neat team.

That is it, I don't just watch playoff basketball and talk about who is playing right now and give my opinion. I only just hate the 76ers.
Yep.

Philly is absolutely blowing this by giving the Knicks 2nd chance opportunities. Can't see them pulling this game out.

Also, Embiid played every minute in the second half and looked like he had no gas left down the stretch. That time he stupidly tried to guard Brunson full court basically gassed him for the rest of the game.

knicks v sicksers has been wildly competitive. being a knick fan and having a 20 year abyss, this team has been fun to watch. if you told me dd and hart would shoot 3-18, i’d say we are 2-2 heading back to ny. brunson just willed them to a win. knicks don’t really have a 2nd option right now. OG is more like a 3, but he stepped up. they are relentless on the boards and fight on defense, which always gives you a chance. too bad randle broke again. i mean, they won’t get out of the east, but at least they are part of the league. get some experience, get randle back and go get a SG upgrade.

Uh oh, Wolves get Scott "The extender" Foster tonight. Get your money in on the Suns. (Line actually moved from Wolves -1 to Wolves +1 when the referee assignment was made public).

Users who are viewing this thread