What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (18 Viewers)

There can’t be a team in any professional sport in worse future shape than the Suns. What a hilarious disaster.

The Pistons.
lol no way. Pistons have all their draft picks and cap space.

The Pistons owe the Knicks a first round pick and have no seconds for like 4 years. No one wants our cap space, we have a horrible GM, a bad coach and owner and most of that cap space is going to be gone resigning and extending players from a 14 win team.
The suns have no first or second round picks and can’t get certain players because they are over the second apron. Situations aren’t even remotely close. Pistons bottom-5 though.

There can’t be a team in any professional sport in worse future shape than the Suns. What a hilarious disaster.

The Pistons.
There’s no way Phoenix can contend but they’ve still got a couple of the most valuable trade assets in the league.
I guess but nothing you get for Devin Booker will likely ever be as good as Devin Booker. KD will get you picks. Beal is the worst contract in the league. Doubt Ishbia allows for a blowup.

The Pistons.
There’s no way Phoenix can contend but they’ve still got a couple of the most valuable trade assets in the league.
I guess but nothing you get for Devin Booker will likely ever be as good as Devin Booker. KD will get you picks. Beal is the worst contract in the league. Doubt Ishbia allows for a blowup.
KD and Booker are worth more than every single asset Detroit has combined if they did blow it up, though.

The Pistons.
KD and Booker are worth more than every single asset Detroit has combined if they did blow it up, though.
Well obviously but that owner isn’t going to allow it so I honestly didn’t even consider it.

The Pistons.
Well obviously but that owner isn’t going to allow it so I honestly didn’t even consider it.
OK, well even if they stay the course they are going to win more games than the Pistons for the indefinite future, so I fail to see how they are worse off than Detroit under any circumstance. But I'm feeling disturbingly like moops pursuing this pedantic line of conversation so I will drop it.

Why has Phoenix underperformed so badly?
I wouldn’t call it underperformance. The team construction is non-sensical. Not sure how anyone really thought they would compete in these playoffs.

Add in the karmic impact of paying a lot of money to that douche canoe named Grayson Allen…

Why has Phoenix underperformed so badly?

I thought the writing was on the wall all season. Iso laden offenses with weak defenses normally don't perform well in the playoffs. Durant is a terrible leader and without a true PG they're screwed - that Beal and Booker combo is hot garbage. Not much to be optimistic about in PHX :poop:

The Pistons.

The Pistons owe the Knicks a first round pick and have no seconds for like 4 years. No one wants our cap space, we have a horrible GM, a bad coach and owner and most of that cap space is going to be gone resigning and extending players from a 14 win team.
The suns have no first or second round picks and can’t get certain players because they are over the second apron. Situations aren’t even remotely close. Pistons bottom-5 though.
I saw somewhere that Beal, KD and Booker's cap hit for next year is more than 14 NBA's teams total salaries. They better play the cards they have because that franchise is in cap and draft hell.

What is funny is all the Tiktok videos of the Lakers fans talking about what the off-season can bring as far as big name FA signings. Bron and AD together cost close to 100 million. They do not have a first rounder until 2025. They will probably be ordered by Bron to use their only 2nd round pick on his son this year. What I found interesting is they still owe money to Carmelo and Dwight Howard next year. I don't like Lebron, but he is a great basketball player and the man should go get his gold medal this summer and retire on a positive note while he has his health. He honestly has nothing left to prove.

The Pistons.

I saw somewhere that Beal, KD and Booker's cap hit for next year is more than 14 NBA's teams total salaries. They better play the cards they have because that franchise is in cap and draft hell.

What is funny is all the Tiktok videos of the Lakers fans talking about what the off-season can bring as far as big name FA signings. Bron and AD together cost close to 100 million. They do not have a first rounder until 2025. They will probably be ordered by Bron to use their only 2nd round pick on his son this year. What I found interesting is they still owe money to Carmelo and Dwight Howard next year. I don't like Lebron, but he is a great basketball player and the man should go get his gold medal this summer and retire on a positive note while he has his health. He honestly has nothing left to prove.
Lakers have the #17 pick this year (Pelicans have stated they’re taking the 2025 pick instead). Lakers can trade up to 3 1sts this offseason.

Carmelo and Dwight are cap holds. Lakers aren’t still paying them. Lots of teams over the cap keep weird ones on the books to retain exemptions like bird rights and can just renounce them if they ever get below the cap and need the space. Lakers also have cap holds for guys like Dion Waiters, Wayne Ellington, and Jared Dudley.

The Pistons.

Lakers have the #17 pick this year (Pelicans have stated they’re taking the 2025 pick instead). Lakers can trade up to 3 1sts this offseason.

Carmelo and Dwight are cap holds. Lakers aren’t still paying them. Lots of teams over the cap keep weird ones on the books to retain exemptions like bird rights and can just renounce them if they ever get below the cap and need the space. Lakers also have cap holds for guys like Dion Waiters, Wayne Ellington, and Jared Dudley.
If they lose in the first round, what are the odds that Lebron stays in LA? 50/50?

The Pistons.

If they lose in the first round, what are the odds that Lebron stays in LA? 50/50?
Unless there’s some rift between him and Jeanie/Pelinka that I haven’t heard about, I’d personally be surprised if he leaves.

More likely they fire Ham and trade whoever they can and whatever picks they can to get another “name” and buddy for LeBron and AD. Westbrook part 2. (Unfortunately).

The Pistons.

Thank you for clarifying that. I was not aware of this.

The Pistons.

Unless there’s some rift between him and Jeanie/Pelinka that I haven’t heard about, I’d personally be surprised if he leaves.

More likely they fire Ham and trade whoever they can and whatever picks they can to get another “name” and buddy for LeBron and AD. Westbrook part 2. (Unfortunately).
This seems 100% like every situation he's left previously to me. They aren't finding somebody to solve this, and I assume Lebron sees that. Finding his way to NY or back to Cleveland would give him a couple more years to chase a title and have enough talent around him to take the load off of him as well.

I am so done with all these commercials.
Wingstop can go to hell with that song as far as I’m concerned. Did Google think we should throw a child in the air even higher a good idea?

Feels like the Nuggets came into this game expecting the Lakers to roll over. Low energy level, horrible defensive rebounding, just an icky game.

Feels like the Nuggets came into this game expecting the Lakers to roll over. Low energy level, horrible defensive rebounding, just an icky game.
Denver just didn’t have it tonight. They came out flat and hoped to be able to take it later, but you can’t rely on that. I am betting the farm that they take game five though.

Had to record Boston's game and finally got to watch it.

Herro and Martin played like what they are, role players trying to be stars without the talent, and the Celtics decided to put in the defensive effort. Adebayo is the only good player the Heat have. As long as the Celtics don't let the Heat simply out-work them, this series should be over in 5. Hopefully the lesson sticks and they play game 4 with the same urgency, but you never know with them.

ETA: And it was pretty impressive seeing Spo bench Herro after his crybaby and technical routine at the end of the 3rd. He saw what a punk he was being and that he was just flinging the ball out of bounds in desperation and just had him sit and watch the entire 4th quarter. Spoelstra is Pop 2.0.

Last edited:
Yay - they finally won one!
It’s odd that this seems to be the consensus. Objectively looking at this series—the Lakers have arguably outplayed the Nuggets for most of it. They have been ahead at halftime in every game, they gave away game two more so than Denver winning it, and the only game in the series where one team was in control was last night. Denver is a championship caliber contending team—and the Lakers have fought them hard. I just don’t see the narrative that the Lakers are somehow in one of the worst roster predicaments in the NBA. They are competing with the champs without their second best defender—Vanderbilt, they are without another decent wing defender in Reddish, and have been without Christian wood. I don’t see them coming back to win this series by any means—but I also don’t see the notion that they are some mediocre laughing stock either. Going into next season—there will probably be 10 or fewer teams that have a legitimate shot at the title (of those 10, probably 4-5 will be considered elite tier). I would put the Lakers in that 5-10 range.

It’s odd that this seems to be the consensus. Objectively looking at this series—the Lakers have arguably outplayed the Nuggets for most of it. They have been ahead at halftime in every game, they gave away game two more so than Denver winning it, and the only game in the series where one team was in control was last night. Denver is a championship caliber contending team—and the Lakers have fought them hard. I just don’t see the narrative that the Lakers are somehow in one of the worst roster predicaments in the NBA. They are competing with the champs without their second best defender—Vanderbilt, they are without another decent wing defender in Reddish, and have been without Christian wood. I don’t see them coming back to win this series by any means—but I also don’t see the notion that they are some mediocre laughing stock either. Going into next season—there will probably be 10 or fewer teams that have a legitimate shot at the title (of those 10, probably 4-5 will be considered elite tier). I would put the Lakers in that 5-10 range.
While I agree with the sentiment of the post, Wood being out is probably a positive.

While I agree with the sentiment of the post, Wood being out is probably a positive.
Agree and disagree. Wood and Reddish’s biggest impact in this series would basically be to provide just 3-4 extra minutes of rest to an older team. The Lakers tend to fall apart against the Nuggets in the second half and I would bet that a 39 year old body playing at altitude contributes to that.

Wood can't be any worse than Hayes. And I say that knowing how awful Wood is.

Lakers were a play-in team

Users who are viewing this thread