What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: “this team is really good” a terrified Minnesota fan mumbles to himself (17 Viewers)

Dallas observations:
  • GSW remains a bad matchup for Dallas overall
  • Wiggins sees Luka and must just think "this ****ing guy? I'm a #1 overall pick, the Maple Jordan!" he just plays so much visibly harder against Dallas its crazy
  • The new officiating really favors GS more than any other opponent I've seen for Dallas in the last two months. Draymond cheapshots less likely to be called, and GS is undersized but really feisty. Hands on every rebound, all over passing lanes, grabbing guys constantly - they play HARD
  • Green is still an absolutely fantastic help defender
  • Obviously Dallas is hurt a lot being down their 6th and 8th guys in Lively and Green. Having to play Dwight Powell meaningful minutes these days just goes to show how insane it was that they made a WCF
  • PJ Washington: huge asset to Dallas, really ups the defense, great at secondary drives...but man if that 3 point shot doesnt always look like itll go in but never actually does

Dallas observations:
  • Wiggins sees Luka and must just think "this ****ing guy? I'm a #1 overall pick, the Maple Jordan!" he just plays so much visibly harder against Dallas its crazy
  • The new officiating really favors GS more than any other opponent I've seen for Dallas in the last two months. Draymond cheapshots less likely to be called, and GS is undersized but really feisty. Hands on every rebound, all over passing lanes, grabbing guys constantly - they play HARD
  • Obviously Dallas is hurt a lot being down their 6th and 8th guys in Lively and Green. Having to play Dwight Powell meaningful minutes these days just goes to show how insane it was that they made a WCF
  • PJ Washington: huge asset to Dallas, really ups the defense, great at secondary drives...but man if that 3 point shot doesnt always look like itll go in but never actually does
One of my frustrations with GS's run over the last decade, is they have always been grabby/fouly but they have taken the approach that the refs can't call everything. Green does more of that ******** than any player in the league and has generally had a pretty steady fouls per 100 possessions of 100 of 4+/- in the regular season or 3.5 +/- per 36. Once a player get's the reputation for being a great defensive player, more of that **** is allowed, especially if they are undersized.

Dallas observations:
One of my frustrations with GS's run over the last decade, is they have always been grabby/fouly but they have taken the approach that the refs can't call everything. Green does more of that ******** than any player in the league and has generally had a pretty steady fouls per 100 possessions of 100 of 4+/- in the regular season or 3.5 +/- per 36. Once a player get's the reputation for being a great defensive player, more of that **** is allowed, especially if they are undersized.
There was one play early that should have been reviewed for flagrant. Luka grabbed an offensive board and did a weird hop (which was correctly called a travel) but when he landed and went up, Green had a big wind up and just arm bar whacked him in the face, right across the nose. No comments at all from broadcast or officials.

Moody, Payton, Podziemski in particular just hands on bodies all night. They even did call like 1-2 off ball on each of those guys - should have fouled them all out in the first half lol.

You gotta admire it. Very 90s Knicks/Heat of them.

You cant understate how awesome Green is off ball as a safety anyway. He is the PERFECT back line help defender against Luka, because he liked to throw crazy passes and he knows how to bait them and close the gaps. Dallas was unusually high TO in part because guys are just grabbing and holding their arms while trying to dribble (Kyrie had like 4-5 live ball lost dribbles, which is more than I've seen in total against all other teams and he was visibly frustrated at the constant contact) but also because Green tipped or outright stole at least 5 Luka passes that would usually be open dunks or threes. His super high defensive IQ is amazing - sad that his antics and the other crap shadow it a bit.

Dallas observations:
There was one play early that should have been reviewed for flagrant. Luka grabbed an offensive board and did a weird hop (which was correctly called a travel) but when he landed and went up, Green had a big wind up and just arm bar whacked him in the face, right across the nose. No comments at all from broadcast or officials.

Moody, Payton, Podziemski in particular just hands on bodies all night. They even did call like 1-2 off ball on each of those guys - should have fouled them all out in the first half lol.

You cant understate how awesome Green is off ball as a safety anyway. He is the PERFECT back line help defender against Luka, because he liked to throw crazy passes and he knows how to bait them and close the gaps. Dallas was unusually high TO in part because guys are just grabbing and holding their arms while trying to dribble (Kyrie had like 4-5 live ball lost dribbles, which is more than I've seen in total against all other teams and he was visibly frustrated at the constant contact) but also because Green tipped or outright stole at least 5 Luka passes that would usually be open dunks or threes. His super high defensive IQ is amazing - sad that his antics and the other crap shadow it a bit.
Sounds like you're describing half the Lakers games this season. The FT differential that team has this season is difficult to wrap your mind around.

As an overall watch, Embiid immediately overtakes Brunson as the player that does the most non-basketball moves to grift.

Dallas observations:

Sounds like you're describing half the Lakers games this season. The FT differential that team has this season is difficult to wrap your mind around.

As an overall watch, Embiid immediately overtakes Brunson as the player that does the most non-basketball moves to grift.
On the positive side for the Lakers (who do get a lot of calls) they also create more chances for calls than basically any other team, don't they? I forget which podcast but thought I heard they were one of the lowest 3pt attempt rate teams and one of the highest drive teams - obviously the more 3s a team shoots the fewer FTs they will shoot as well.

Malachi Flynn scored 50 points tonight. 😵‍💫

Do you know what team he's on?
You gotta be kidding me.

And I know he used to be a Raptor. The team who rolled out a starting lineup of Quickley, Garrett Temple, Jalen McDaniels, Gradey ****, and Malik Williams tonight against the Wolves and are trying to keep the final margin under 50 right now.

Flynnsanity.

Stole from Twitter.
The new Detroit Pistons legend Malachi Flynn.

Some thought he was a player you drafted years into NBA2k franchise mode, while others call him Evil Donte Divincenzo, but Flynnsanity is right.

The San Diego St alum has now scored more points in a single NBA game than another Aztec legend, Kawhi Leonard. See also Anthony Edwards. T'Wolves just taking strays here now (sorry Frosty). Ditto with Playoff P, Paul George. Or soon to be top 5 in MVP, SGA.

The last player to randomly put up 50 points in a game was Corey Brewer. At least he was on one of the best college teams of all-time and had some decent offensive games before he had a night. Malachi was averaging under 5ppg and is on his third team ...this season.

See also Anthony Edwards. T'Wolves just taking strays here now (sorry Frosty).

The last player to randomly put up 50 points in a game was Corey Brewer. At least he was on one of the best college teams of all-time and had some decent offensive games before he had a night. Malachi was averaging under 5ppg and is on his third team ...this season.
All of this did actually occur to me. But perhaps the biggest loser in this is Willie Burton.

Former Minnesota Gopher and a top 5 all-time Gopher at that. Drafted 9th overall by the Heat in 1990. Was 2nd tem all rookie but that would pretty much be the apex of his career as mential issues and just not being all that good limited him. However........

On December 13th, 1994, Willie scored 53 points as a member of the Philadelphia 76ers, which is farily incredible considering his 10.3ppg average in his short career.

That night, vs. the Heat (his former team) Willie shot 12-19 from the floor including 5-8 from 3, and was an insane 24-28 from the free throw line to score 53 points on 19 shots which Wikipedia tells me is the 2nd fewest shots ever in a 50 point game (it did not tell me the fewest).

Willie is a beloved figure in Gopher history, and I have always considered his 50 point game as the most random of all time. I fear, unless he goes on to have a stellar career, that stupid Malachi Flynn has now taken that title.

Hopefully he was named after the guy from Children of the Corn at least.

Flynnsanity.

Stole from Twitter.
The new Detroit Pistons legend Malachi Flynn.

Some thought he was a player you drafted years into NBA2k franchise mode, while others call him Evil Donte Divincenzo, but Flynnsanity is right.

The San Diego St alum has now scored more points in a single NBA game than another Aztec legend, Kawhi Leonard. See also Anthony Edwards. T'Wolves just taking strays here now (sorry Frosty). Ditto with Playoff P, Paul George. Or soon to be top 5 in MVP, SGA.

Sadiq Bey scoring 50 a couple years ago was pretty random.

According to Statmuse, Adrian Dantley scored 50 points on 17 shots against Dallas in 1980. Burton and Kyrie Irving are tied for second with 19 FGA. Kyrie had 50 against CHA in 2022.

No player has ever scored 50 points with a lower career scoring average than Malachi Flynn, who entered tonight averaging 5.2 ppg.

◻️ Flynn: 5.2
◻️ Terrence Ross: 7.4
◻️ Tony Delk: 8.0
◻️ Walt Wesley: 9.1
◻️ Tracy Murray: 9.9
◻️ Corey Brewer: 9.9

According to Statmuse, Adrian Dantley scored 50 points on 17 shots against Dallas in 1980. Burton and Kyrie Irving are tied for second with 19 FGA. Kyrie had 50 against CHA in 2022.

Zero 3 pointers (not that Dantley would take any if they were an option)

Plus a ton of FTs, I'll bet

12 of 17, 0 of 0, 26 of 29. He ended the season 2 of 7 on three pointers. That was the only year he made more than one. Over his career, he went 7 of 41 in the regular season and 0 for 3 in the playoffs on 3PA.

12 of 17, 0 of 0, 26 of 29. He ended the season 2 of 7 on three pointers. That was the only year he made more than one. Over his career, he went 7 of 41 in the regular season and 0 for 3 in the playoffs on 3PA.
I never got to watch Dantley play, but what I remember most about him is he was still very salty in the Bad Boys 30 for 30 episode. Seemed like he did not like Thomas at all and didn't like that he was shipped off.

Record in last 10 games against teams with winning records . .

8-2: BOS
6-4: ATL, DAL, IND, LAL, MIN, PHO, SAC
5-5: CHI, DEN, GSW, NYK, OKC
4-6: HOU, MIL, NOP, ORL
3-7: BRK, CLE, LAC, MIA, PHI, SAS, WAS
2-8: MEM
1-9: CHA
0-10: DET, POR, TOR, UTA

Record in last 10 games against teams with winning records . .

8-2: BOS
6-4: ATL, DAL, IND, LAL, MIN, PHO, SAC
5-5: CHI, DEN, GSW, NYK, OKC
4-6: HOU, MIL, NOP, ORL
3-7: BRK, CLE, LAC, MIA, PHI, SAS, WAS
2-8: MEM
1-9: CHA
0-10: DET, POR, TOR, UTA
Interesting stats but not sure how meaningful re: the playoffs.

Last year the Nuggets had lost 5 of 7 heading into the playoffs.

The Celtics had won 5 of 7.

Wasn't really pushing any particular narrative. Some teams have had recent winning streaks . . . mostly compiled against some really soft teams. Hard to really assess any true value or put together much analysis when some of these games have guys out with injuries, guys on load maintenance days, etc. PHI with Embiid is a different animal than the team that's been thrown out there without him.

Similarly, BOS hasn't had anything really to play for in weeks. More recently, they've usually rested 2-3 starters (or key reserves) each night. They've been experimenting and trying different combinations and plays. They could sit even more people the rest of the way and end the season on a losing streak. Would that make any difference?

As you said, none of this will matter once the playoffs start.

Dallas observations:

Did Chris Paul retire?

Wasn't really pushing any particular narrative. Some teams have had recent winning streaks . . . mostly compiled against some really soft teams. Hard to really assess any true value or put together much analysis when some of these games have guys out with injuries, guys on load maintenance days, etc. PHI with Embiid is a different animal than the team that's been thrown out there without him.

Similarly, BOS hasn't had anything really to play for in weeks. More recently, they've usually rested 2-3 starters (or key reserves) each night. They've been experimenting and trying different combinations and plays. They could sit even more people the rest of the way and end the season on a losing streak. Would that make any difference?

As you said, none of this will matter once the playoffs start.
The Celtics in particular will be interesting to watch, of course.

Did they peak too early? Are they battle tested enough vis-a-vis the highly competitive West? Or are they simply that dominant? 60 wins is rarified air.

FWIW IMO Jrue Holiday could be the gritty vet that puts them over the top

Saw an interesting discussion on teams that had the best record in their conference by 10 or more wins. Boston is currently ahead in the Eastern Conference by 13 games with 6 games remaining. Since 1970, there have been 15 teams to accomplish that . . . and 11 of them won the title that year. The 1985-86 was the only time both conferences had a team win their conference by 10 or more games . . . so one of those teams had to lose.

2014-15 GSW +11 Wins (W)
2012-13 MIA +12 (W)
2008-09 LAL +11 (W)
2005-06 DET +12 (L ECF)
1999-00 LAL +12 (W)
1995-96 CHI +12 (W)
1991-92 CHI +10 (W)
1986-87 LAL +10 (W)
1985-86 BOS +10 (W)
1985-86 LAL +11 (L WCF)
1984-85 LAL +10 (W)
1983-84 BOS +10 (W)
1976-76 GSW +16 (L WCF)
1972-73 BOS +11 (L ECF)
1970-71 MIL +15 (W)

That will have absolutely no bearing on what happens this post season, but at least for many other teams, dominating a conference often yielded big dividends.

Last edited:

Did they peak too early? Are they battle tested enough vis-a-vis the highly competitive West? Or are they simply that dominant? 60 wins is rarified air.

Jrue is no doubt a very key component to the team. He is the good of Marcus Smart without the bad.

But I've mentioned this a few times and will once again, Kristaps Porzingis means more to the Celtics winning a championship than anyone besides Tatum. He provides spacing with 3 point shooting, a high % 3rd scoring option in the post and great rim protection. Without him, they aren't much different than they were last season. With him, they are the best team in the NBA this season.

Jrue is no doubt a very key component to the team. He is the good of Marcus Smart without the bad.

But I've mentioned this a few times and will once again, Kristaps Porzingis means more to the Celtics winning a championship than anyone besides Tatum. He provides spacing with 3 point shooting, a high % 3rd scoring option in the post and great rim protection. Without him, they aren't much different than they were last season. With him, they are the best team in the NBA this season.
Yep. Won't disagree in terms of a "missing piece stat sheet contributor"

However, I was speaking more about the intangible X factor in the playoffs. A defensive-minded vet with a ring who has been there before and can teach the rest of that team resiliency and how not to fold in the postseason

Last edited:
Former Minnesota Gopher and a top 5 all-time Gopher at that
I tried to answer this without looking it up.

Burton (who I would not have guessed)
Kevin McHale
Mychal Thompson
Voshon Leonard
Joel Pryzbilla

Here is the list that I looked up afterwards: https://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.fcgi?college=minnesota
leave Jim Shikenjanksi off this list again and see what happens :boxing:

That list is pure Randy Breuer slander. Gophers and Bucks legend.

Yep. Won't disagree in terms of a "missing piece stat sheet contributor"

However, I was speaking more about the intangible X factor in the playoffs. A defensive-minded vet with a ring who has been there before and can teach the rest of that team resiliency and how not to fold in the postseason

He'll have to develop some short term amnesia regarding last season if he wants to teach anyone how not to fold in the postseason.

Dallas observations:

Did Chris Paul retire?
Feels like it watching him at times. Chris Paul is no longer the worst grifter, simply because he can't do it as efficiently anymore.

The NBA took away Paul's lurch into defenders in transition move (although Embiid got that call against OKC a few nights ago), opponents finally seem wise to his rip through move in the penalty, his defensive hacks and grabs are just too slow to be effective a lot, and his offensive is mainly running mid-range jumpers that opponents don't mind.

Chris Paul is a first ballot NBA grifter, but he just doesn't have what Brunson currently brings to the table. :head snap:

Saw an interesting discussion on teams that had the best record in their conference by 10 or more wins. Boston is currently ahead in the Eastern Conference by 13 games with 6 games remaining. Since 1970, there have been 15 teams to accomplish that . . . and 11 of them won the title that year. The 1985-86 was the only time each team in the Finals won by their conference by 10 or more games . . . so one of those teams had to lose.

2014-15 GSW +11 Wins (W)
2012-13 MIA +12 (W)
2008-09 LAL +11 (W)
2005-06 DET +12 (L ECF)
1999-00 LAL +12 (W)
1995-96 CHI +12 (W)
1991-92 CHI +10 (W)
1986-87 LAL +10 (W)
1985-86 BOS +10 (W)
1985-86 LAL +11 (L Finals)
1984-85 LAL +10 (W)
1983-84 BOS +10 (W)
1976-76 GSW +16 (L WCF)
1972-73 BOS +11 (L ECF)
1970-71 MIL +15 (W)

That will have absolutely no bearing on what happens this post season, but at least for many other teams, dominating a conference often yielded big dividends.
The Celtics played the Rockets in the 1986 Finals.

Saw an interesting discussion on teams that had the best record in their conference by 10 or more wins. Boston is currently ahead in the Eastern Conference by 13 games with 6 games remaining. Since 1970, there have been 15 teams to accomplish that . . . and 11 of them won the title that year. The 1985-86 was the only time each team in the Finals won by their conference by 10 or more games . . . so one of those teams had to lose.

2014-15 GSW +11 Wins (W)
2012-13 MIA +12 (W)
2008-09 LAL +11 (W)
2005-06 DET +12 (L ECF)
1999-00 LAL +12 (W)
1995-96 CHI +12 (W)
1991-92 CHI +10 (W)
1986-87 LAL +10 (W)
1985-86 BOS +10 (W)
1985-86 LAL +11 (L Finals)
1984-85 LAL +10 (W)
1983-84 BOS +10 (W)
1976-76 GSW +16 (L WCF)
1972-73 BOS +11 (L ECF)
1970-71 MIL +15 (W)

The Celtics played the Rockets in the 1986 Finals.
That season was the only time both conferences saw a team win the in the regular season by 10+ games. But I forgot that was one of the years the Lakers didn't get to the Finals, losing to to the Rockets in the WCF.

Lakers have only 1 of their remaining 5 games against a sub .500 team (Memphis), sitting as the 9 seed right now. That last regular season game against the Pelicans could be a doozy to determine which team avoids the playout game. April 9 vs. the Warriors will be huge also. Mark your calendars.

Lakers have only 1 of their remaining 5 games against a sub .500 team (Memphis), sitting as the 9 seed right now. That last regular season game against the Pelicans could be a doozy to determine which team avoids the playout game. April 9 vs. the Warriors will be huge also. Mark your calendars.
Nobody cares about the dregs of the Western Conference.

Last gasp for mvp candidate Amen Thompson and the Rockets tonight going against the warriors. They f the rockets don’t win, the top 10 is basically set in the west.

Users who are viewing this thread