What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Kawhi introduces playoff load management (35 Viewers)

Inbound play where maxey lost the ball. Brunson with full jersey turning him as he's trying to to catch it. Guess that's clean in the NBA.

I kind of like that Nick Nurse called a timeout before the inbounds pass, and then (looking directly at the refs again) called a time out again when Maxey caught the inbounds pass.

Tough loss for sure. If they go on to lose this series this game will haunt them. Up 4 points with 40-some seconds left in the game will be one that lingers. If they take both games in Philly and make it a 3 game series it should be pretty fun.

Inbound play where maxey lost the ball. Brunson with full jersey turning him as he's trying to to catch it. Guess that's clean in the NBA.

Maxey pushed # 3 at the start of that play. Shouldn't that have been a foul negating everything that happened afterwards?
How many times have you seen that called in the NBA inbounds regular season or playoffs? How many times have you seen a guy grab someone on an inbounds at the end and get a call?

Whine about the refs all you want, but you were up 5 with 45 seconds left and lost. There was a ton of contact by both sides in that final 45 seconds I am am certain if you slow other plays down like the Maxey/Brunson play posted you will find contact more or equally egregious that was let go instead of calling a foul on Philly. Plus your team gave up a monster offensive rebound and failed to get any kind of a decent look on your final possession. I think this came down to a lot more than a missed hold on Brunson.

Maxey pushed # 3 at the start of that play. Shouldn't that have been a foul negating everything that happened afterwards?
How many times have you seen that called in the NBA inbounds regular season or playoffs? How many times have you seen a guy grab someone on an inbounds at the end and get a call?
I have no clue about the NBA so you're probably right that it isn't called. Just didn't think you could push a guy with 2 hands like that. At least in the NFL you can't. But maybe it's not called in the NBA.

I kind of like that Nick Nurse called a timeout before the inbounds pass, and then (looking directly at the refs again) called a time out again when Maxey caught the inbounds pass.

Tough loss for sure. If they go on to lose this series this game will haunt them. Up 4 points with 40-some seconds left in the game will be one that lingers. If they take both games in Philly and make it a 3 game series it should be pretty fun.
Missing TOs suck and that was probably the most egregious error by the refs there. I think the coaches need some kind of button that can notify the refs because they have to watch players and if they can't hear them not sure how they can know.

I think that happens 80-90% of the time when the defense is full court press like that. If they called a foul on Maxey on that, man oh man I think there would be a lot of talk for sports radio tomorrow

I think that happens 80-90% of the time when the defense is full court press like that. If they called a foul on Maxey on that, man oh man I think there would be a lot of talk for sports radio tomorrow
Yeah as I mentioned I don't really watch the NBA that much (at all really) so I believe you. I'm just surprised they wouldn't call that more often.

These refs are a joke.
how they didn't call a foul when Maxey was getting tossed around is a bit beyond me

There was no foul. Take off the homer glasses.
He was thrown to the floor. Head coach still calls a timeout while he has the ball and doesn't get it. Take the hater glasses off for once.

Knicks got tricky tack calls all night and sixers got squat when they needed it.

He wasn't. He fell trying to get a call.
More contact on that play than every foul for the Knicks combined all night.

Lol. Okay

Here you go. Watch it and try not to be a homer.

That Hartenstein offensive rebound was incredible. Game winning play.
Blocked layup too

Whine about the refs all you want, but you were up 5 with 45 seconds left and lost. There was a ton of contact by both sides in that final 45 seconds I am am certain if you slow other plays down like the Maxey/Brunson play posted you will find contact more or equally egregious that was let go instead of calling a foul on Philly. Plus your team gave up a monster offensive rebound and failed to get any kind of a decent look on your final possession. I think this came down to a lot more than a missed hold on Brunson.
The Sixers playing Kyle Lowry’s corpse at the end of the game didn’t help either.

Y'all going back and forth about the call, that missed TIME OUT call was RIDICULOUS. He VERY clearly calls timeout BEFORE they inbounded the ball and was completely ignored. And then did it AGAIN when Maxey went down... ignored again.

This clip shows it fairly well. I have no idea how they didn't grant him that pre-inbounds timeout. Unforgivable and Philly wins that game 95% of the time if they allowed him that VERY CLEAR time out call.

Y'all going back and forth about the call, that missed TIME OUT call was RIDICULOUS. He VERY clearly calls timeout BEFORE they inbounded the ball and was completely ignored. And then did it AGAIN when Maxey went down... ignored again.

This clip shows it fairly well. I have no idea how they didn't grant him that pre-inbounds timeout. Unforgivable and Philly wins that game 95% of the time if they allowed him that VERY CLEAR time out call.
Calling a half-hearted timeout to no one right as they're inbounding the ball, then trying to call the subsequent timeout as the ball is rolling out of Maxey's hands, ain't gunna get it done.

Calling a half-hearted timeout to no one right as they're inbounding the ball, then trying to call the subsequent timeout as the ball is rolling out of Maxey's hands, ain't gunna get it done.
Most time outs are half of the motions he did. Ref was looking at him, he called it, absolutely no reason to not grant that timeout (the one when Maxey had it was questionable I agree). Devastating mistake.

Most time outs are half of the motions he did. Ref was looking at him, he called it, absolutely no reason to not grant that timeout (the one when Maxey had it was questionable I agree). Devastating mistake.
Watch the highlight without it favorably freezing on the exact moment, it's weak as ****.

Watch the highlight without it favorably freezing on the exact moment, it's weak as ****.
Didn't know there was "weak" and "strong" time out calls. He made the clear motion. They always give that time out call, and often do with far more casual time out motions. As a ref you know the coach is standing there with his hands up ready to call it, it's completely inexcusable to not grant that time out.

I mean do you really think Embiid is getting gift calls in the playoffs in a home game for the Knicks?
Yes. Embiid and Brunson are the two biggest grifters in the NBA right now.

please, whatever supernatural being you believe in, let the Sixers, Knicks and Celtics get knocked out of the playoffs asap so we don't have to read all this whining and bickering
😄

Murray game winner right in AD's face is COLD.
Murray is a 16 game player. 💰

Ditto with Jokic. He put up 25+ pts, 20+ reb, and 10+ assists for the fourth time in a playoff game. That's half of them in NBA history. 👀 Wilt had 2, Kareem 1, and Dave Cowens 1

Not sure what more the Lakers can do given their lack of bench. DLo starting 10-10 from 3, AD shooting 90%? I dunno.
That is the worst thing for Lakers fans. They played the best game they possibly could, and Denver stunk for most of the game, but LA still found a way to lose.
Yeah, they're toast. Played a near flawless game and still lost...On the other side, I think that loss will fire up the Sixers. They're still in it.

These refs are a joke.
how they didn't call a foul when Maxey was getting tossed around is a bit beyond me

There was no foul. Take off the homer glasses.
He was thrown to the floor. Head coach still calls a timeout while he has the ball and doesn't get it. Take the hater glasses off for once.

Knicks got tricky tack calls all night and sixers got squat when they needed it.

He wasn't. He fell trying to get a call.
More contact on that play than every foul for the Knicks combined all night.

Lol. Okay

Here you go. Watch it and try not to be a homer.

That Hartenstein offensive rebound was incredible. Game winning play.

Never thought much of him but he had an All-NBA performance tonight. That rebound and pass along with the block were :moneybag:

Didn't know there was "weak" and "strong" time out calls. He made the clear motion. They always give that time out call, and often do with far more casual time out motions. As a ref you know the coach is standing there with his hands up ready to call it, it's completely inexcusable to not grant that time out.

well, it looks like the saga will continue. Not sure what the Sixers hope to gain from this, and I highly doubt the NBA/refs will acknowledge any mistakes here, but will be interesting to see if anything comes of them filing a grievance:

ETA: My 2 cents = Sucks that the refs missed the timeouts, and bad calls went both ways a bit. However, I think the refs are like 11th on the list of priority issues for the Sixers right now. I mean, how the hell does Buddy Hield have 0 3 pointers for the post-season so far. Guy averaged 40% or better for years, and is barely shooting any 3s now???

Last edited:

well, it looks like the saga will continue. Not sure what the Sixers hope to gain from this, and I highly doubt the NBA/refs will acknowledge any mistakes here, but will be interesting to see if anything comes of them filing a grievance:

ETA: My 2 cents = Sucks that the refs missed the timeouts, and bad calls went both ways a bit. However, I think the refs are like 11th on the list of priority issues for the Sixers right now. I mean, how the hell does Buddy Hield have 0 3 pointers for the post-season so far. Guy averaged 40% or better for years, and is barely shooting any 3s now???
Bad process with that attempted timeout call got a bad result. In that situation, it should have been an auto timeout to advance the ball to midcourt. Blaming the ref for a split second decision as Maxey is throwing the ball in vs the previous 4.5 seconds where nobody was calling a timeout seems like a cop out from Nurse.

Bad process with that attempted timeout call got a bad result. In that situation, it should have been an auto timeout to advance the ball to midcourt. Blaming the ref for a split second decision as Maxey is throwing the ball in vs the previous 4.5 seconds where nobody was calling a timeout seems like a cop out from Nurse.
I am not sure about that. I mean what is he supposed to throw a temper tantrum and run on the court when the refs ignore his first attempt calling a time out? Is that what people want in the NBA is coaches running on to the court to stop play and get their way?

I think Jayrod mentioned above, but a buzzer seems like a legit easy solution to help this a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread