What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (60 Viewers)

MPJ and Gordon were both no shows tonight. 5 bench points and shot 24% from 3 as a team (Jokic 2/10 hurt there).

Gobert played great defense at the rim (2 blocks and at least another 5 shots missed because of his presence) scored efficiently, hit his FT's and got 2 big offense boards in the 4th. Haters need to recognize he did his job well tonight and is one of the main reasons the T-Wolves won.

Little Woz just now: “daddy when I grow up I want to live in Minnesota. They win there.”

Oh, buddy…

(No shtick)
Send me his TWolves hat please. I need some gear for the rest of the year as I root them on.
He left it at his grandparents today unfortunately.

And he’s currently asleep in his Edwards jersey so I gotta get that washed first.

I still can't believe it. Watching the Anthony Edwards scenes from hustle on the tv while I watch post game quotes from him on the computer. is this real?
It’s real…. And it’s spectacular!
Close. Like Minnesota sports teams (historically).

Go to last 10 seconds of clip.

It just hit me when thinking about potential Finals matchups, Boston-Dallas would be fantastic from a story standpoint.

Kyrie ditches the two young kids, and 7 years later those same kids are all grown up, looking to run thru him to seal their first championship.

And yeah, I understand watching Luka-Tatum would give most basketball fans an aneurism.

MPJ and Gordon were both no shows tonight. 5 bench points and shot 24% from 3 as a team (Jokic 2/10 hurt there).

Gobert played great defense at the rim (2 blocks and at least another 5 shots missed because of his presence) scored efficiently, hit his FT's and got 2 big offense boards in the 4th. Haters need to recognize he did his job well tonight and is one of the main reasons the T-Wolves won.

nuggets lack of depth really showed as jokic/murray/gordon were gassed. zeke didn't get 1 minute of play. what a waste of 8m.

I have no use for MPJ and hope he gets traded. 2 playoffs in a row where he disappeared. and don't get me started about his weak *** boxing out.

This is my favorite round of the NBA Playoffs, Conference Finals.

One game of major importance every night for the next week and a half or so.
I'm not anticipating the ECF to go past 5
Boston is clearly the better team IMHO, think they will roll into the NBA Finals, maybe 1 bad game in the Series but otherwise they are way too much
Pacers needed 7 games to beat a depleted 6-7 man rotation, nothing against TT but again his team has nothing left at the end of wherever they exit the Playoffs

When they went down 20 last night I turned the tv off and took the dog for a walk. Came home and checked the score and they were down 4. Thought I’d probably get my heart broken twice in one night but I flipped it back on. 33 years of incompetence will make a guy jaded. They played great down the stretch but Denver did look gassed. Excited to see them move on.

Boston is clearly the better team IMHO, think they will roll into the NBA Finals, maybe 1 bad game in the Series but otherwise they are way too much
Pacers needed 7 games to beat a depleted 6-7 man rotation, nothing against TT but again his team has nothing left at the end of wherever they exit the Playoffs
Pacers are one of the hardest teams to play 48 minutes against. They have a strong bench that they use a lot and play at a ridiculous pace. You could tell the Knicks were fading in every possible way. Pacers won 4 out of the last 5 and 3 weren’t even close.

Didn't get to watch the late game. I wasn't totally surprised by the outcome but how it got there shocked me. Defending champ loses a 20-point 2nd half lead at home with the best player in the world? Did not see that happening.

Pacers are one of the hardest teams to play 48 minutes against. They have a strong bench that they use a lot and play at a ridiculous pace. You could tell the Knicks were fading in every possible way. Pacers won 4 out of the last 5 and 3 weren’t even close.
I understand, they still needed 7 games to get past a depleted Knicks team, I don't see them winning more than 1 game vs Boston, just my uninformed opinion

Didn't get to watch the late game. I wasn't totally surprised by the outcome but how it got there shocked me. Defending champ loses a 20-point 2nd half lead at home with the best player in the world? Did not see that happening.
It was bizarre watching it. The first half was awful for Minnesota and the third quarter started terribly. Then, Denver started to just miss everything and next thing the viewer knew it was like a 6 point game - though it didn't feel like Minnesota went on this crazy run. But, once Minnesota realized the game was there for the taking, they stepped up in a really team-collective way. No single player caught fire or anything like that.

ETA: Thinking back on it, I'd say the semi-noticeable differences were that Minnesota started to out-rebound Denver after Jokic destroyed the glass in the first half and Minnesota's supporting players (especially Reid and McDaniels) were fantastic where Denver's players outside of Jokic and Murray were non-existent (though I thought Braun made some really nice hustle plays).

Last edited:
It just hit me when thinking about potential Finals matchups, Boston-Dallas would be fantastic from a story standpoint.

Kyrie ditches the two young kids, and 7 years later those same kids are all grown up, looking to run thru him to seal their first championship.

And yeah, I understand watching Luka-Tatum would give most basketball fans an aneurism.
Or reverse it (IND & MIN) and we get a bunch of media types telling us about ratings between two small market teams. 🙄 Not sure why anybody (outside of the league itself) cares. So the ratings go down? Oh no.

What a game (the Minnesota and Denver one) last night. Watched the game with a buddy of mine as we are both rooting for Minnesota to win it all this season. That game felt like a microcosm of the series—one team outplaying and blowing out the other at one point, followed by the other team coming back and repaying the favor at another point. In the first half—Minnesota’s offense seemed very anemic and predictable. A lot of giving the ball to Ant—he would get doubled—the ball would just swing around until the shot clock got low, and the Wolves would just have to shoot low percentage shots. While this was happening—Denver was able to build a lead with Murray and Jokic doing most of the heavy lifting in the first half.

I do think that Jaden McDaniels did pump some life into the wolves as the game was on the brink of getting out of hand until he hit a couple shots and helped to get a couple of stops. Also, KAT really stepped up and played some efficient and intelligent ball while Ant was struggling to find a rhythm. Effectively—while Ant was struggling to find a rhythm—the rest of the Wolves team started to contribute—McDaniels, Kat, Gobert (who not only stepped up and played better defense versus how he did in game 5—but he also made some nice plays of offense)., Conley. I think that Denvers biggest fault was that they retreated into doing what Minnesota was doing in the first half. They just kept riding Jokic and Murray and prevented their beautiful and dynamic offense from firing on all cylinders. Gordon barely shot the ball. To put things in perspective on how much Denver ran the offense through Murray and Jokic last night (Jokic took 28 field goal attempts, Murray took 27 field goal attempts, all of the rest of the Nuggets took a COMBINED 28 attempts). Both Jokic and Murray took as many shots as the rest of the team combined. Minnesotas defense was solid in the second half—but that was also compounded by the Nuggets not moving the ball or moving players off the ball in the second half. With that said—what a game and what a series. Congrats to the wolves fans and Nuggets fans should also feel good moving forward. That is a great team that only really needs to add one or two pieces of depth in my opinion.

Or reverse it (IND & MIN) and we get a bunch of media types telling us about ratings between two small market teams. 🙄 Not sure why anybody (outside of the league itself) cares. So the ratings go down? Oh no.
I'm not sure, but I think most fans would prefer seeing new teams win it to adding onto the Celtics pile of trophies...

I'm not sure, but I think most fans would prefer seeing new teams win it to adding onto the Celtics pile of trophies...
That's probably true. I'm just speaking to the catnip that ratings seem to be to a (much too large) percentage of the media that covers professional sports.

The NFL's rating seems to be the best of major US sports and how has that benefitted fans? Games on a bunch of pay streaming services, on a slew of nights/holidays, and sky high costs to attend in person?

As a fan of the NBA, I'm just fine with rating dips. It doesn't benefit me in any way for ratings to continuously go up. Yet the media covers them like we should care when a series, or playoff stretch, has down ratings. Nah.

Last edited:
It was bizarre watching it. The first half was awful for Minnesota and the third quarter started terribly. Then, Denver started to just miss everything and next thing the viewer knew it was like a 6 point game - though it didn't feel like Minnesota went on this crazy run. But, once Minnesota realized the game was there for the taking, they stepped up in a really team-collective way. No single player caught fire or anything like that.

ETA: Thinking back on it, I'd say the semi-noticeable differences were that Minnesota started to out-rebound Denver after Jokic destroyed the glass in the first half and Minnesota's supporting players (especially Reid and McDaniels) were fantastic where Denver's players outside of Jokic and Murray were non-existent (though I thought Braun made some really nice hustle plays).
Exactly, it suddenly was a 6-pt game and we the viewers/fans at home felt like we had no idea how we got to that point so quickly

Reactions: Zow

If it's Boston-Dallas then I probably won't even watch. I like Jalen but Tatum and Doncic are maybe the two biggest whiners in the league and it seems like some people have forgotten what a nutjob Kyrie is.

wisconsin can like indiana because thier best player is from oshkosh its ok take that to the bank brohans
Sounds like a real baby.
only the father of a young son would make an oshkosh bagosh joke holy smokes our very own wozzer who we have watched since he was in college is now gowing up and starting to flex his dad joke wings and i am proud to say that ive been here for it take that to the bank brohans

Not a ton to be learned from the regular season IND/BOS games. The Celtics held a 3-2 advantage with a +12.0 net rating (Indiana's worst net rating against any team this year), but a deeper dive tells us those games had some missing pieces.

BOS +51 - No Haliburton, No Siakam yet
IND +10 - No KP, no Siakam yet
BOS +17 - KP injured in 1Q, no Siakam yet
IND +2 - No Tatum or Hauser, no Siakam yet
BOS + 5 - I believe this was the only game with full rosters on both sides

Boston up to a 26-5 record when KP doesn't play with a +12.7 net rating. Obviously, they are a more well rounded team when he is available, but so far they haven't really needed him. However, Horford playing a ton of minutes isn't a great thing (will start wearing down), Kornet has been decent (but 15-20 minutes of him probably not the best plan), and they appear to have opted not to play Tillman (even with Porzingas out).

OK, so I am allowed to root for two teams, right? Born in Boston, lived there for 30 years. Moved to Twin Cities in 2005. I think the rule is we are allowed one eastern conference team, and one western

I think we all have an order of who we are rooting for at this point in the season.

3 things.
1- lol at thread title
2- pacers play fast and seem to not have as many turnovers as they should given the motion/hot potato passing
3- ‘Bring ya ***’ from Ant to Barkley was highlight of playoffs for me

Users who are viewing this thread