What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (117 Viewers)

I'm not sure a team should even give up one first round pick for Beal. He is a fine player, but his contract is gross, and the new team will have to deal with him still having a no trade clause. A Herro + whatever salary to make it work seems like the right value. Hell, is Beal even a better player than Herro next year?

Hyperbole and wishful thinking from the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson on the next superteam:

>>If ESPN report that trade compensation for Beal will be less than expected, then there would be narrow - but possible - path to acquire Beal AND Lillard, though Strus OR Vincent would need to be included in sign & trades and it would result in approximately $206 billion tax bill.<<

Feeling chatty...

I think Wembanyama has the perfect build for a 7'4" 19 year old, and I look forward to him adding 25 pounds of muscle over the next three seasons. I predict that he will be surrounded with the best professional staff EVER, all looking out for his health and development. He's worth BILLION$$.

Love the capital and flexibility the Spurs FO has with future picks. Thanks, Dejounte (so long). Not gonna speculate on how they should make use of, 'cause I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.

The Wembanyama-Sochan-Vassell trio will become a force, and we'll all know it around the All-Star break.

I wish there was season-long access into the Spurs facilities, Hard Knocks style.

I love two things - Pop, and lamp.

Last edited:
>>If ESPN report that trade compensation for Beal will be less than expected, then there would be narrow - but possible - path to acquire Beal AND Lillard, though Strus OR Vincent would need to be included in sign & trades and it would result in approximately $206 billion tax bill.<<
Calling :bs: on this. They dont have nearly the picks to get Dame and Strus and Vincent are fine players but nobody is clamoring for them

beal is 30 and injuries are noted, so is his value deflated? knicks are desperate for shooters and imo barrett just isn’t it. low %, didn’t finish many games during the regular season, up and down playoff.

what say nyk offer barrett and fournier, who has 1 year left for beal? if wash needs a pick, nyk has the draft capital. nyk can take back 125% and i think this fits.

maybe expand it to include toppin and kuzma. toppin already 25 and gonna be RFA soon, his shooting is suspect. kuzma can space the floor, if he opts in for his 1 more season. this fits too i believe.

nyk would have robinson, kuzma, randle, beal and brunson. resign hart, quickley, hartenstein, mcbride and grimes as bench guys.

Last edited:
beal is 30 and injuries are noted, so is his value deflated? knicks are desperate for shooters and imo barrett just isn’t it. low %, didn’t finish many games during the regular season, up and down playoff.

what say nyk offer barrett and fournier, who has 1 year left for beal? if wash needs a pick, nyk has the draft capital. nyk can take back 125% and i think this fits.

maybe expand it to include toppin and kuzma. toppin already 25 and gonna be RFA soon, his shooting is suspect. kuzma can space the floor, if he opts in for his 1 more season. this fits too i believe.

nyk would have robinson, kuzma, randle, beal and brunson. resign hart, quickley, hartenstein, mcbride and grimes as bench guys.
Wash could probably do a lot better for kuzma if he actually opted in but seems unlikely anyway.

The first part seems plausible if the reports of a modest return for beal are true (which seem rational)

Hyperbole and wishful thinking from the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson on the next superteam:

$206 billion??

If I was Wizards GM, I'd throw in an extra 1st rounder for someone to take Beal off our hands. He's that crappy. He is a shell of what he was. He shot worse from 3 pt range than Porzingis did. Beal is also a horrid defender and a turnover machine late in games. He wants to be the guy. Fact is he's probably the 3-4th best player on most playoff teams. The DC media seems to think we can get a player and three 1sts. The true answer probably lies somewhere in between my dislike of him and a playoff team needing an offball scorer where he could indeed help out. But if they can't move him the Wizards are in heaps of trouble for a long time.

Last edited:
If I was Wizards GM, I'd throw in an extra 1st rounder for someone to take Beal off our hands. He's that crappy. He is a shell of what he was. He shot worse from 3 pt range than Porzingis did. The DC media seems to think we can get a player and three 1sts. The true answer probably lies somewhere in between.
He’s not great anymore but there are multiple teams that could use him - Boston, NY, Philly for sure, Miami just for starters. He’ll shoot better on a team where he isn’t the primary option. Problem is he can decide where he goes so that will suppress the market.

The Wizards gave him all that money and then a non-trade clause too. Underrated idiot franchise.

If I was Wizards GM, I'd throw in an extra 1st rounder for someone to take Beal off our hands. He's that crappy. He is a shell of what he was. He shot worse from 3 pt range than Porzingis did. The DC media seems to think we can get a player and three 1sts. The true answer probably lies somewhere in between.
He’s not great anymore but there are multiple teams that could use him - Boston, NY, Philly for sure, Miami just for starters. He’ll shoot better on a team where he isn’t the primary option. Problem is he can decide where he goes so that will suppress the market.

The Wizards gave him all that money and then a non-trade clause too. Underrated idiot franchise.
That said, if the only way he was going to sign that contract with them was the no-trade and they get a first round player plus somebody like Herro, it was a positive signing for them.

Calling :bs: on this. They dont have nearly the picks to get Dame and Strus and Vincent are fine players but nobody is clamoring for them

Portland is a lot of things; stupid isn't one of them.

Chatter on sports talk radio saying Luka has slimmed/toned up a bit. Haven't seen any official reports.
Zion seems like the type who will definitely figure it out, but only after he hits rock bottom and gets moved. Sucks when you are team 1 in that scenario but some people only learn stuff the hard way

The problem is, he runs the risk of catastrophic leg injury with all that weight he carries around. Until he learns how to properly eat and drink (he apparently downs soda pop like a pimple-faced video game junkie on a bender) like an athlete he will never "get it". His rock bottom is soooooooo far below a normal person's rock bottom because he's already been paid like a top tier athlete. So he can sink....and sink some more. And when he does reach rock bottom, he will have pissed it all away due to chronic health problems.
Maybe New Orleans isn't the best spot for a 22 year old kid who has no self control and all the money in the world.
I've still been hearing this for months on the talk shows, even some this week. Here is the thing. The dude is NO LONGER OVERWEIGHT. He is just a huge freaking person. He is absolutely ripped, and has been since the preseason this past year. People, I think, are hanging on to the overweight narrative from his rehab stint 2 years ago and the pics that went viral. Even this last week with the fatherhood announcement dude, is 100% in shape. I can't confirm or deny what beverages he drinks, and he might not be in "basketball shape" since, ya know, he hasn't played :censored:in a while, but he has dropped the extra LBs long ago. Now is there an argument for him to somehow drop muscle weight and just try to maintain a slimmer frame? I suppose so, but IDK if he can play the way he plays by doing that. Maybe he can. But being able to move like he does at his size has been his M.O. his whole career. Maybe his adult body just can't take it.

It puts us in the position of having to take a gamble either way. Right now I guess the smart money says deal him just based on his cost and his history thus far, and let him be someone else's gamble/problem. With him, we are easily a playoff contender. Without him, that's a big question mark. But so is whether or not he will be on the court. :wall: Trading him, I don't know that we could get another player that makes us an instant playoff contender like he does. That's the quandary.

I'm watching the Nuggets parade (I'm out of town :frown:). Players are getting off their vehicles and hanging out in the crowds, chugging beers, signing autographs. Obviously, the fans love the players, but the players seem to genuinely enjoy the fans.

Seeing Aaron Gordon walk home after the game in his game shorts with no shirt just getting mobbed by fans is one of the coolest sports things I've ever seen.

That said, if the only way he was going to sign that contract with them was the no-trade and they get a first round player plus somebody like Herro, it was a positive signing for them.
I'd rather the Wiz get Lowry and eat his contract for 2023-2024. Even if they have to eat Robinson's as well. Provided it nets them a pick or two. And just suck even worse for 1-2 years. I like Herro's game and the rumor is he'd be part of the trade. I'd just be skeptical post injury.

Chatter on sports talk radio saying Luka has slimmed/toned up a bit. Haven't seen any official reports.
Zion seems like the type who will definitely figure it out, but only after he hits rock bottom and gets moved. Sucks when you are team 1 in that scenario but some people only learn stuff the hard way

The problem is, he runs the risk of catastrophic leg injury with all that weight he carries around. Until he learns how to properly eat and drink (he apparently downs soda pop like a pimple-faced video game junkie on a bender) like an athlete he will never "get it". His rock bottom is soooooooo far below a normal person's rock bottom because he's already been paid like a top tier athlete. So he can sink....and sink some more. And when he does reach rock bottom, he will have pissed it all away due to chronic health problems.
Maybe New Orleans isn't the best spot for a 22 year old kid who has no self control and all the money in the world.
I've still been hearing this for months on the talk shows, even some this week. Here is the thing. The dude is NO LONGER OVERWEIGHT. He is just a huge freaking person. He is absolutely ripped, and has been since the preseason this past year. People, I think, are hanging on to the overweight narrative from his rehab stint 2 years ago and the pics that went viral. Even this last week with the fatherhood announcement dude, is 100% in shape. I can't confirm or deny what beverages he drinks, and he might not be in "basketball shape" since, ya know, he hasn't played :censored:in a while, but he has dropped the extra LBs long ago. Now is there an argument for him to somehow drop muscle weight and just try to maintain a slimmer frame? I suppose so, but IDK if he can play the way he plays by doing that. Maybe he can. But being able to move like he does at his size has been his M.O. his whole career. Maybe his adult body just can't take it.

It puts us in the position of having to take a gamble either way. Right now I guess the smart money says deal him just based on his cost and his history thus far, and let him be someone else's gamble/problem. With him, we are easily a playoff contender. Without him, that's a big question mark. But so is whether or not he will be on the court. :wall: Trading him, I don't know that we could get another player that makes us an instant playoff contender like he does. That's the quandary.

I believe every single word of Moriah Mills!

TRADE:

Celtics give Jaylen Brown and Robert Williams and get Brad Beal.

Wizards give Brad Beal and Johnny Davis and 2023 pick #8 and get Jaylen Brown and Tyler Herro and a future 2nd round pick (from MIA).

Heat give Tyler Herro, Kyle Lowry, Nikola Jovic, 2023 pick #18, 2 future 1sts, and a future 2nd, and get Damian Lillard.

Blazers give Damian Lillard and get Nikola Jovic, Robert Williams, Kyle Lowry, Johnny Davis, 2023 pick #8 (from WAS), 2023 pick #18 (from MIA), and two future 1sts (from MIA).

is ralph sampson a wembledonyaya comp? same size and body type, sampson had a good handle. at that size, he broke down. the giant white guy also is broken. porzingis broke too.

Yeah, I made a post in the Lisa Salter thread about Ralph Sampson being his closest comp and a lot of us agreed. Amazing player before the injuries.

TRADE:

Wizards give Brad Beal and Johnny Davis and 2023 pick #8 and get Jaylen Brown and Tyler Herro and a future 2nd round pick (from MIA).

Heat give Tyler Herro, Kyle Lowry, Nikola Jovic, 2023 pick #18, 2 future 1sts, and a future 2nd, and get Damian Lillard.

Blazers give Damian Lillard and get Nikola Jovic, Robert Williams, Kyle Lowry, Johnny Davis, 2023 pick #8 (from WAS), 2023 pick #18 (from MIA), and two future 1sts (from MIA).

When did you start working on this? The all star break?

is ralph sampson a wembledonyaya comp? same size and body type, sampson had a good handle. at that size, he broke down. the giant white guy also is broken. porzingis broke too.
Chet Holmgren's career is off to a roaring start as well.
Didn't he hurt his foot?

Yeah. It was crazy how many posters and media types said his weight and light frame was the problem and then he hurt his foot in a very unlucky way and completely unrelated to his size at all. It was as if they were rehearsing it daily. They all yelled "I told you so" at the top of their lungs all at the same time.

Didn't he hurt his foot?

Yeah. It was crazy how many posters and media types said his weight and light frame was the problem and then he hurt his foot in a very unlucky way and completely unrelated to his size at all. It was as if they were rehearsing it daily. They all yelled "I told you so" at the top of their lungs all at the same time.
If you want to be unconcerned about a lisfranc injury to someone who is 7-1, 195 lbs, more power to you. I hope he has a long and awesome career.

dunno if he's normal people fat, or just NBA "fat", but i remember Dion Waiters getting knocked for being fat and just yesterday i saw he posted a pic of himself pre-Heat and after going through the Heat conditioning regimen.

"When Miami Heat president Pat Riley met with unrestricted free agent Dion Waiters last summer, the nine-time NBA champion made the 24-year-old shooting guard a promise.

“We’re going to get you in world-class shape,” Riley told Waiters, as he recounted for The Players Tribune. “Not good shape. Not great shape. World-class shape. Give us a season, and you’ll see.”

Riley has made this promise to other free agents over the years, and he has an iPad full of before-and-after pictures that serve as success stories to back up his claim. When a player joins the Heat, it doesn’t take them long to realize that this organization does things differently.

Prior to joining the Heat, Waiters thought he was already in excellent shape after playing four years in the NBA. James Johnson, who had been in the NBA for seven seasons and can literally kick the rim on a regulation hoop, thought the same thing prior to signing with Miami last offseason.

Most players have this reaction. Then, they show up for the team’s workouts.

“After one week, my body [was] shot,” Waiters recalled. “I was damn near throwing up in trash cans like in the movies.”

before and after

so maybe "fat" Zion is an exggeration

Didn't he hurt his foot?

If you want to be unconcerned about a lisfranc injury to someone who is 7-1, 195 lbs, more power to you. I hope he has a long and awesome career.
I don't think it's an injury to be not concerned about - I'm just not sure it had anything to do with him being thin - perhaps there is a knowledge gap on my part there though.

Didn't he hurt his foot?

I don't think it's an injury to be not concerned about - I'm just not sure it had anything to do with him being thin - perhaps there is a knowledge gap on my part there though.
This is my understanding as well. A lot of the notable lisfranc injuries I can remember happened to pretty heavy-set NFL players like Big Ben, Darren McFadden, MJD, etc. I really think that for injury purposes, it's better for these crazy tall guys to be on the skinny side so the repetitive force being put on their lower limbs isn't so enormous. Chet and Wemby will have to try and thread the needle between "light enough to reduce injury risk" and "heavy enough to play center."

TRADE:

I do not LOVE it.

Didn't he hurt his foot?

It's an injury that can happen to anyone, for sure. But foot and knee injuries seem to pile up on people with this physical profile and it can't be good that the guy is starting his career coming off a serious foot injury given the amount of leverage a guy his size is putting on it playing basketball.

Users who are viewing this thread