What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Celtics win East and now wait to see whether Luka or Kyrie suffer season-ending injury (34 Viewers)

They keep referencing missing Conley but Alexander-Walker and Morris have been pretty good. It's the turnovers and sloppiness that are killing us - plus that bizarre stretch of three consecutive charges. Jokic has 19 and Edwards has 5.

If we get to the half down less than 5 it'll really be a positive.

They keep referencing missing Conley but Alexander-Walker and Morris have been pretty good. It's the turnovers and sloppiness that are killing us - plus that bizarre stretch of three consecutive charges. Jokic has 19 and Edwards has 5.

NAW has probably been their best player so far.

Reactions: Zow

I’m going to take a wild guess that the veteran PG sitting out might be one reason the offense looks clunky and they keep turning the ball over.

Conley would likely help with that sloppiness

I’m going to take a wild guess that the veteran PG sitting out might be one reason the offense looks clunky and they keep turning the ball over.
True. But that's pretty hard to measure.

I don't think the offensive process for the Wolves has been terrible. The biggest difference, IMO, is the Nuggets would be sticking closer to Conley to give everybody else just a little bit more space to operate.

But sure, he'll "get it" in the NBA where it's far easier than the Pac10.
I don’t know why you keep banging this drum. Jalen Brunson averaged 9 as a freshman at Villanova. He scored 28 in the first half in a second round playoff game tonight. Do you think players stop developing at 19?

Bronny may not make it. It really has nothing to do with how he played in January as a 19 year old against mediocre competition.

His final game that I referenced was played in mid-march. We had the same number of assists in that one, though he played 22 more minutes than me.

We will see. Nepotism is a real thing, so he'll get his chances.
You mentioned Jordan’s kids earlier. They didn’t get drafted or a combine invite. Doesn’t seem to help your argument.

Jordan was 250 pounds with yellow eyes by the time his kids were playing college hoops.

LeBron still has utility to the NBA and teams view his son as a tool to get him.

I'm not the only one who thinks this, am I? Maybe I'm wrong. Happens a lot. Just ask my wife.

Jokic, man.
Yeah. Little Woz has twice said, "Daddy, the Joker is so good. If he were on the Timberwolves he'd be my favorite player."
I'm a Celtics fan and he's my favorite player. Been in love for about 5 years now.
Pretty impressive that a lanky, semi-unathletic* white dude impresses a kid with the attention span of a gnat more than Edwards.**

*By this I mean he looks un-athletic. He's obviously actually very athletic.

**Who is quite entertaining to Little Woz in his own right. But "The Joker!" (as he calls him) has basically won Little Woz over.

Bronny James, PG, USC: With dozens of cameras tracking his every move, James had an overwhelmingly positive first day in Chicago, showing he more than deserves to be in attendance. He is in excellent shape, clearly having put on some good bulk from the end of the season. James tested extremely well athletically, with a 40.5-inch inch vertical leap that placed him fourth highest among combine participants, a 32-inch no step vertical (top-10ish mark), a 3.02 second time in the shuttle run drill, 3.09 seconds in the three-quarter court sprint, and 10.96 seconds in the pro lane agility drill -- all solid marks relative to his peers. More impressive was how well he shot in drills, demonstrating a clean, compact stroke and outstanding accuracy in the 3-point star shooting drills (19-for-25, second best behind UConn's Alex Karaban) as well as the off-movement 3-point shooting drill, hitting 77% of his attempts in the side-mid-side pull-up shooting drill.

While he looked bouncy in the transition drills, he showed some of his limitations as a ball handler and playmaker in the half-court pick-and-roll live action competition, where he was unlucky to run into one of the best defenders in college basketball in Providence's Carter, as well as some extremely mobile big men (such as Arizona's Keshad Johnson, who had an outstanding day in his own right) who were making life miserable on opponents every play. This was a positive day for James, who looks to be in outstanding shape and has quite a bit to gain in the 5-on-5 scrimmaging Tuesday and Wednesday.
-- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ts-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more
Givony projected Bronny as a top 10 pick last summer while everyone else was debating where or if he’d go in the second round.

Jokic, man.
Yeah. Little Woz has twice said, "Daddy, the Joker is so good. If he were on the Timberwolves he'd be my favorite player."
I'm a Celtics fan and he's my favorite player. Been in love for about 5 years now.
Pretty impressive that a lanky, semi-unathletic* white dude impresses a kid with the attention span of a gnat more than Edwards.**

*By this I mean he looks un-athletic. He's obviously actually very athletic.

**Who is quite entertaining to Little Woz in his own right. But "The Joker!" (as he calls him) has basically won Little Woz over.
Sad!

• Sad
Reactions: Zow
Man, the Nuggets are just demoralizing.
Part of the reason they are so demoralizing sometimes is because they play with their food a bit, thinking they can turn it on when they need to. That bit them in the *** in game one, but usually it seems like they can just turn it on. It helps that they are finally hitting their open jumpers these last three games after being terrible in 6 of the first 7 games of the postseason.

Man, the Nuggets are just demoralizing.
Part of the reason they are so demoralizing sometimes is because they play with their food a bit, thinking they can turn it on when they need to. That bit them in the *** in game one, but usually it seems like they can just turn it on. It helps that they are finally hitting their open jumpers these last three games after being terrible in 6 of the first 7 games of the postseason.
Wolves really screwed up by winning by so much in Game 2. Needed to keep them in coast and turn it on mode. Last 3 games the Nuggets have taken the game seriously from the jump and, well,

Very interested to see if the Wolves (and Edwards) can figure this out. Denver made it very clear he wasn't going to beat them, and it worked to perfection.

He made teh "right" play all night. Passing it off when doubled. But his team is offensively challenged outside of him (and KAT). Needs to find a way to score more. I trust in ANT. See you again in Denver.

Any chance that Gobert’s wife can deliver another baby tomorrow or Thursday so that he can miss game 6?
Nuggets fan i guess
Not at all. I am big time rooting for the Wolves this series—but Jokic gutted him tonight. A lot of it is optics as Gobert had a decent plus/minus tonight—but it just seems as though his value is hard to quantify when he’s getting cooked on the side of the court where he’s supposed to be elite.

Any chance that Gobert’s wife can deliver another baby tomorrow or Thursday so that he can miss game 6?
Nuggets fan i guess
Not at all. I am big time rooting for the Wolves this series—but Jokic gutted him tonight. A lot of it is optics as Gobert had a decent plus/minus tonight—but it just seems as though his value is hard to quantify when he’s getting cooked on the side of the court where he’s supposed to be elite.
If you think this team is better without Rudy then you get to have your own opinion sorry drunk and high

Nuggets fan i guess
If you think this team is better without Rudy then you get to have your own opinion sorry drunk and high
All good gb. No- I dont think they are better without Gobert- but I also believe that Jokic absolutely toyed with him tonight. Gobert did nothing to make jokics life harder in this individual game. jokic scored when he wanted- didnt have a single turnover. I’d just expect a little more resistance from a guy that is titled as being the leagues best defensive player in such an important game. Hopefully this motivates him and the team for game 6

Bronny James, PG, USC: With dozens of cameras tracking his every move, James had an overwhelmingly positive first day in Chicago, showing he more than deserves to be in attendance. He is in excellent shape, clearly having put on some good bulk from the end of the season. James tested extremely well athletically, with a 40.5-inch inch vertical leap that placed him fourth highest among combine participants, a 32-inch no step vertical (top-10ish mark), a 3.02 second time in the shuttle run drill, 3.09 seconds in the three-quarter court sprint, and 10.96 seconds in the pro lane agility drill -- all solid marks relative to his peers. More impressive was how well he shot in drills, demonstrating a clean, compact stroke and outstanding accuracy in the 3-point star shooting drills (19-for-25, second best behind UConn's Alex Karaban) as well as the off-movement 3-point shooting drill, hitting 77% of his attempts in the side-mid-side pull-up shooting drill.

While he looked bouncy in the transition drills, he showed some of his limitations as a ball handler and playmaker in the half-court pick-and-roll live action competition, where he was unlucky to run into one of the best defenders in college basketball in Providence's Carter, as well as some extremely mobile big men (such as Arizona's Keshad Johnson, who had an outstanding day in his own right) who were making life miserable on opponents every play. This was a positive day for James, who looks to be in outstanding shape and has quite a bit to gain in the 5-on-5 scrimmaging Tuesday and Wednesday.
-- Givony

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...ts-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more
He looked terrible.
I would give him plenty of flack for being Lebron's boy and trying to understand what that pressure is like.
He took like four seconds to shoot in drills. No one cares if you make it if you take that long. Quick release is best, of course, but OMG I could wave to my kid and hit a shot in that time.
He put his head down a lot; very amateurish.
Pick n roll is all about spacing or else you're easy to guard. He didn't understand that and they credited his defender.

My take is he probably played too much with Dad and had too much blown off as "eh he'll figure it out."

He'll probably be drafted by name but non- NBA fans gotta realize this is a two round draft that includes international players. It's only for the elite and unlike other drafts.

He can not go to G league. What he does wrong is why people stay there.

I saw nerves in everything I saw. I mean most nervous guy I've seen in years. He absolutely has latitude that it was a nervous bad day.

I typed like 5 different posts about Jokic and erased them all as they don’t do him justice.

I’m starting to consider that he’s the best player I’ve ever watched. He’s just so ****ing unique and incredible.

There is a chance that he is the best offensive player of all time. Defensively the difference between him and most of the other "Pantheon" players defensively is notable, but I think that the only players that can make an argument they had a better offensive peak than Jokic has had the last 4 years are Wilt, Kareem, Jordan, and Lebron.

It's also notable that all four of those guys peaked (recognizing that each of their descents was very gradual) by their age 28 or 29 season and Jokic is in his age 28 season.

This series is over on Thursday, and honestly I don't know if Denver loses more than 1 game between the WCF and Finals.
Their shooting will dissappear again for sure, and they will lose. Aaron Gordon probably won't shoot like he did last night again. He was on fire, but already started cooling off at the end now that I think about it. MPJ still hasn't had a game this series either. Should be interesting. Why am I awake?

Jokic was hyper efficient on offense last night:
-Used 26 possessions to score 40 points (1.54 ppp)
-Shooting splits of 68/67/89
-13:0 assist/TO

He only had 7 rebounds, but did add 2 steals and a block.

Users who are viewing this thread