What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (10 Viewers)

Speaking of all these all-time teams (awesome topic by the way), this was a crazy LeBron stat in the Laker game tonight - he’s played against 35% of all players in NBA history.

what
Seems fake to me but if this is the 77th? NBA season and this is his his 21st, that’s 27% of all seasons. More teams/players now, and he’s switched teams a few times, so I guess it makes sense.

Speaking of all these all-time teams (awesome topic by the way), this was a crazy LeBron stat in the Laker game tonight - he’s played against 35% of all players in NBA history.

what
Seems fake to me but if this is the 77th? NBA season and this is his his 21st, that’s 27% of all seasons. More teams/players now, and he’s switched teams a few times, so I guess it makes sense.

What a guy like Vince Carter or Haslem. You would really have to loosely define the word "play" with Haslem.

Before I look, the Wolves might end up with the lowest total in this game. Let's see!

Kevin Love (13-14): 26.1
KAT (16-17): 25.1
Ant (22-23): 24.6
KG (03-04): 24.2
Wiggins (16-17): 23.6

TOTAL: 123.6 - better than I expected. Next up would be the immortal Tony Campbell at 23.2ppg in their first season (89-90).
You missed KAT's best season (19-20) although he only played 35 games that year...but his average was 26.5 that year.

Old enough to remember people talking about how the Wolves had to get rid of KAT or Gobert.
I'm very interested to see how new ownership handles this. Those old KAT/Gobert trade rumors were primarily motivated by team finances, and the Wolves' disappointing performance made cost-cutting moves seem like a no brainer. Things are a lot more complicated now that the team is good. Edwards and McDaniels still have big extensions kicking in next season and that payroll will be flirting with the second apron. We're quickly going to find out what kind of a tolerance Lore and ARod have for the tax.

Unlike prior years (under the prior coach), the Bucks are uncompetitive when Giannis sits. No one else on the roster steps up. Down by 40 points in Cleveland after 3 quarters.
This is very worrisome. First time I thought about jumping on board the fire Griffin train.
dame doesnt seem like dame anymore and they really miss holliday a lot a lot i also think that middleton has just hit the wall so its rough but hey they are still a good team anything can happen maybe they make some key trades and i will always root for them take that to the bank brohans

can anyone beat this rebounds per game for golden state wit the stilt 27 nate thurmond 21 jerry lucas 15 neil johnston 15 clyde lee 14 total of 92 i dont think anyone will even be close take that to the bank bromigos

Old enough to remember people talking about how the Wolves had to get rid of KAT or Gobert.
I'm very interested to see how new ownership handles this. Those old KAT/Gobert trade rumors were primarily motivated by team finances, and the Wolves' disappointing performance made cost-cutting moves seem like a no brainer. Things are a lot more complicated now that the team is good. Edwards and McDaniels still have big extensions kicking in next season and that payroll will be flirting with the second apron. We're quickly going to find out what kind of a tolerance Lore and ARod have for the tax.
Zach Lowe had a Wolves beat writer on his pod recently. I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said if the Wolves have a deep playoff run with this group, ownership will bite the bullet and pay the tax. If they flame out, KAT is gone and KAT knows it.

when you do this lets see greatest all time per team stuff it really puts into perspective some of the insane numbers that wilt chamberlain put up i mean just mind boggling averages over a season take that to the bank brohans

My, admittedly optimistic, opinion is that if the team is competitive in the playoffs - at least win a series and hopefully at least conference finals - they'll bite the bullet and run most of the team back the following year and pay the tax. That gets them to the next year, where Gobert would be an expiring and they can probably move him. So that gives them basically a 2-year window with this group.

Zach Lowe had a Wolves beat writer on his pod recently. I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said if the Wolves have a deep playoff run with this group, ownership will bite the bullet and pay the tax. If they flame out, KAT is gone and KAT knows it.
Yes, this basically.

FACT: If the Wolves lose every game the rest of the season their 29 wins will still be in the top half (#17) of their season win totals since their inception (35 seasons).

FACT: If the Wolves lose every game the rest of the season their 29 wins will still be in the top half (#17) of their season win totals since their inception (35 seasons).

We are very close to the point that the Pistons could win out, which would destroy the consecutive win record and not finish with a winning record.

Your move.

My, admittedly optimistic, opinion is that if the team is competitive in the playoffs - at least win a series and hopefully at least conference finals - they'll bite the bullet and run most of the team back the following year and pay the tax. That gets them to the next year, where Gobert would be an expiring and they can probably move him. So that gives them basically a 2-year window with this group.
The challenge will be that they are already just 4 million away from the second apron for next year with 11 players. That doesn't include re-signing Conley.

McDaniels, Gobert, KAT, Ant, and Reid put them less than $25 million away. Getting rid of all other non-guaranteed contracts puts them 16 million away with 8 players. So it is going to be exceedingly difficult to figure out how to fill out the roster without getting hit with the second apron penalties, though I suppose they could live with it for 1 year if the team were that good. I don't think they can do it for 2 more years without getting rid of one of Gobert or KAT.

Unlike prior years (under the prior coach), the Bucks are uncompetitive when Giannis sits. No one else on the roster steps up. Down by 40 points in Cleveland after 3 quarters.
Unlike prior years, the Bucks head coach doesn't really know what he's doing. They still pressure the ball high all the time, yet are last in the league at forcing turnovers. 😵‍💫

Bucks have to add a defensive guard or this postseason is going to be a rough one. Every night is a parade to the rim and Giannis & Lopez (as good as they are on defense) can only cover up so much.

I still believe this. Gobert is an 82 game player. The trade for him was a ridiculous overpay and he doesn't match the timeline of the franchise player. As noted by others above, it financially (all but) guaranteed KAT will end up elsewhere or they'd have to flip Gobert for a huge loss.

Timberwolves fans need to enjoy this season and make the most of the opportunity this season presents. I don't see Minnesota being a legit contender in the foreseeable future unless Edwards takes another huge leap. 🤷

Yep.

dame doesnt seem like dame anymore and they really miss holliday a lot a lot i also think that middleton has just hit the wall so its rough but hey they are still a good team anything can happen maybe they make some key trades and i will always root for them take that to the bank brohans
I think they also miss a certain Dookie who is lighting it up out in the Arizona desert.

Naz Reid is really good. He slots in nicely as a trade chip if they stick with the Gobert/KAT duo, but more realistically he slots in the 2nd big with either one who is not traded.

I still believe this. Gobert is an 82 game player. The trade for him was a ridiculous overpay and he doesn't match the timeline of the franchise player. As noted by others above, it financially (all but) guaranteed KAT will end up elsewhere or they'd have to flip Gobert for a huge loss.

Timberwolves fans need to enjoy this season and make the most of the opportunity this season presents. I don't see Minnesota being a legit contender in the foreseeable future unless Edwards takes another huge leap. 🤷
Maybe so. My main point last year was that these guys didn't play enough together to see if it will really work. I'm not a fan of the KAT-Gobert pairing either as both have had flaws in the playoffs, but players can also get better.

Either way, happy for the success they're having. Good for the fans.

Maybe so. My main point last year was that these guys didn't play enough together to see if it will really work. I'm not a fan of the KAT-Gobert pairing either as both have had flaws in the playoffs, but players can also get better.

Honestly, as a fan of this franchise from Day 1 the Gobert trade is already worth it. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but the Pat Bev call back here made me remember the reaction of the fans (and team) when they won that first play-in game. Many people (hi @General Malaise) thought the reaction was ridiculous, and maybe it was. But for this team and the basketball fans in this town it was the first good thing that had happened in a long, long time. Please trust me as a fan - the reaction was legit and worth it.

Now we have been the #1 seed in the West all year. We've beaten Denver and Boston and the Thunder and the Clippers and the Sixers. You can't read an article about the NBA with season without reading praise for our Wolves. Ant is getting all kinds of press. Rudy is getting loved by the media and is likely the DPOY after a year where he was mocked all season. KAT is thriving as a #2 after years of failure as a #1 and Bill Simmons, a top level KAT hater, is now praising him.

I guess I don't really know how to explain it to someone who isn't a fan of this team. They were, until recently, the worst team by winning percentage in all the major sports. They've won like, 3 playoff series ever. And now they're talked about as a contender. A contender to win the NBA title! You have no idea what that is like.

And they gave up a bunch of trash who have all proven non-useful in the playoffs, a good defensive center, and some picks that will probably all be late round. Worst case scenario some of those later year picks are good and the Wolves fade back into the dregs of the league - where they have mostly always lived! Even if the trade only gets us a brief window into what it is like to be relevant it's worth it. Honestly, the Pat Bev standing on the scorer's table should have made it clear how desperate we are here for any Wolves' success.

Sorry for nerding out.

Honestly, as a fan of this franchise from Day 1 the Gobert trade is already worth it. I know a lot of people won't understand this, but the Pat Bev call back here made me remember the reaction of the fans (and team) when they won that first play-in game. Many people (hi @General Malaise) thought the reaction was ridiculous, and maybe it was. But for this team and the basketball fans in this town it was the first good thing that had happened in a long, long time. Please trust me as a fan - the reaction was legit and worth it.

Now we have been the #1 seed in the West all year. We've beaten Denver and Boston and the Thunder and the Clippers and the Sixers. You can't read an article about the NBA with season without reading praise for our Wolves. Ant is getting all kinds of press. Rudy is getting loved by the media and is likely the DPOY after a year where he was mocked all season. KAT is thriving as a #2 after years of failure as a #1 and Bill Simmons, a top level KAT hater, is now praising him.

I guess I don't really know how to explain it to someone who isn't a fan of this team. They were, until recently, the worst team by winning percentage in all the major sports. They've won like, 3 playoff series ever. And now they're talked about as a contender. A contender to win the NBA title! You have no idea what that is like.

And they gave up a bunch of trash who have all proven non-useful in the playoffs, a good defensive center, and some picks that will probably all be late round. Worst case scenario some of those later year picks are good and the Wolves fade back into the dregs of the league - where they have mostly always lived! Even if the trade only gets us a brief window into what it is like to be relevant it's worth it. Honestly, the Pat Bev standing on the scorer's table should have made it clear how desperate we are here for any Wolves' success.

Sorry for nerding out.
As a long-suffering Celtics fan, I can totally relate.

Sorry for nerding out.
I have never hated you like I do right now.

How long-suffering are Celtics fans, really? They won a title 16 years ago. ORL, CHA, MIN, LAC, NOP, PHO, UTA, and MEM have never won. BRK and IND haven't won an NBA title (but won in the 70's in the ABA). And many others haven't won in 40+ years (PHI - 1983, OKC - 1979, WAS - 1978, POR - 1977, NYK - 1973, ATL - 1958, SAC - 1951). That's 17 of the 30 franchises that would be a lot more apt to be "long-suffering."

Last edited:
How long-suffering are Celtics fans, really? They won a title 16 years ago. ORL, CHA, MIN, LAC, NOP, PHO, UTA, and MEM have never won. BRK and IND haven't won an NBA title (but won in the 70's in the ABA). And many others haven't won in 40+ years (PHI - 1983, OKC - 1979, WAS - 1978, POR - 1977, NYK - 1973, ATL - 1958, SAC - 1951). That's 17 of the 30 franchises that would be a lot more apt to be "long-suffering."

:whoosh:

You know what else Deandre Ayton isn't any good at? Driving in the snow.

I don't really blame him. I'd have trouble suiting up for this team too.

It is pretty bad there though, right? My cousin has been without power since Saturday and in a hotel -- they couldn't even get to their house due to downed trees and powerlines.

Oh yeah, it's been awful. We were without power for 96 hours, got it back for 48, gone again. It's carnage everywhere.

But guess where I'm posting from? That's right. Work. Because ballers who get paid show up and they do their job. :flex:

Sorry for nerding out.

I'm happy for you, Frost. AND! Jodi Foster wears a Vikings sweatshirt on True Detectives! It's all coming up Frosty!

Sorry for nerding out.

I'm happy for you, Frost. AND! Jodi Foster wears a Vikings sweatshirt on True Detectives! It's all coming up Frosty!
Saw that! Great moment!

Doris Burke is so far and away the best color commentator in the NBA. Entertaining, intelligent, well informed, fair... Love her.

Really? she is so monotone and really doesn't have that it factor when calling games like a Harlan, Brooks, or prime Albert.

I am not saying she is bad, I just can't agree she is by far and away the best.

Doris Burke is so far and away the best color commentator in the NBA. Entertaining, intelligent, well informed, fair... Love her.

Really? she is so monotone and really doesn't have that it factor when calling games like a Harlan, Brooks, or prime Albert.

I am not saying she is bad, I just can't agree she is by far and away the best.

Yeah, she's no Mark Jackson but not even close to the league's best. Pretty meh imo.

Whenever she does Kings games, which to be fair to her isn’t often, it’s clear she doesn’t know anything about the team. YMMV I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread