What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (8 Viewers)

The PHI fans went agains their instinct and gave Trea Turner a standing ovation instead of booing him out of the ball park about a month ago. He's batting over .350 since then and the team has gone on a tear. It would be worth getting Simmons back to hear the pro/con arguments for giving him a standing O amongst the fans.

People don't get Philly fandom but I also wouldn't say 76ers "fans" either. Everyone and their mother wants to be a 76ers fan when they are doing good but when this team is bad a ticket thats gonna cost me in the high rise behind the basket and media press area lower level that might cost me $85 right now I can easily get for $30. $150 court side during the tank a thon I was getting for $50. Butler's last season with Chi I got tickets behind the bulls bench with entry into the Well Fargo Cadilac Grille an exepnsive restuarant. That ticket should've been like close to $200 I got for $50 before fees.

Either way Philly fans all they want is players to try hard and win. If you aren't playing well but sucking they will acknowledge the fact you tried hard. With certain players thats hard. My Grandmom went to church with former Phillie Ryan Howard. Ryan tore his achilles and was never the same player but Ryan being a private guy people never saw his behind the scense work to try and get back to his MVP form. The achillies destroyed a lot of good power. But because of this he got booed and **** on.

Turner there's been reports of him trying all year including from the manager and teammates. Simmons issue was a lot of his "trying" was all a facade. Going into the NBA Jonathan Giovany (who numerious 76ers fans owe an apology too right now) put out in writting what lack of effort Ben Simmons had. 76ers tried playing it off oh we can fix him. Is like the NFL coach with the bad QB and teams trying to be the QB whisperer. Also the 76ers had a lot of infighting back then. If you remember The Caulder report and how Embiid's Shirley temples got famous that was in that report of Brown and Hinkie in fighting.

My mom would never root for the 76ers. No matter how hard they tried.

Headline should be NBA forces ref to retire so they can cover up another Ref betting scandal the league is and has been involved in for yrs. Tim Donaghey was just a tip of the iceberg of this fixed league.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38291889/nba-ends-investigation-ref-eric-lewis-retiring
That's not what this was about. Like, at all.
Exactly.

It's the BS double standard that coaches and players can criticize the refs on social media and pay a fine equivalent to pocket change but if a ref publicly defends himself, they get fired.

It happens all the way down to the HS level. I know 2 FB officials who were dismissed (1 HS, 1 college) for social media activity about games they worked.
Refs shouldn't be discussing games on social media

US actually benefit by losing there. They play Italy with the loss now instead of Luka and Slovenia. SGA vs Luka will be nuts though.

US actually benefit by losing there. They play Italy with the loss now instead of Luka and Slovenia. SGA vs Luka will be nuts though.
We would have played Serbia, not Slovenia, in the quarters. In terms of semifinal matchup it’s now Germany/Latvia instead of Canada/Slovenia. Not a very consequential loss, although I think Germany is the team most likely to beat the US in the knockouts and now we get them in the semis. I think Canada is the second most talented team but we match-up with them well.

Sorry, but the US has no business losing any games in this. I know there are a lot of pros on these other teams, but none have the concentration of talent and depth.

I hate when good teams play sloppy or "down to" their opponent. Drives me insane and the Celtics are probably the absolute worst at doing that on a regular basis.

Sorry, but the US has no business losing any games in this. I know there are a lot of pros on these other teams, but none have the concentration of talent and depth.

I hate when good teams play sloppy or "down to" their opponent. Drives me insane and the Celtics are probably the absolute worst at doing that on a regular basis.
I don’t know how much of the blame is the current style of play in the NBA and how much is due to the lack of of bigs on the current roster, but US can’t defend against post ups at all. Especially if the other team can target one of our wings with a simple screen/switch then go right to the post. It’s been a big weakness all tournament and now we paid the price with a tough interior matchup.

Americans should have played Kessler more against those big *** Montenegro and Lithuania teams. They got slaughtersed on the defensive glass both games. Why is he there if he isn’t playing much?

Headline should be NBA forces ref to retire so they can cover up another Ref betting scandal the league is and has been involved in for yrs. Tim Donaghey was just a tip of the iceberg of this fixed league.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38291889/nba-ends-investigation-ref-eric-lewis-retiring
Exactly.

It's the BS double standard that coaches and players can criticize the refs on social media and pay a fine equivalent to pocket change but if a ref publicly defends himself, they get fired.

It happens all the way down to the HS level. I know 2 FB officials who were dismissed (1 HS, 1 college) for social media activity about games they worked.
Yeah I also ran into Tim Donaghey before this. The nba is involved in fixing games but to brush it under the rug Lewis was forced to resign so he wouldn’t have to serve jail time

Exactly.

I don't disagree, but our society needs to get serious about curtailing unruly fan, coach and player behavior.

Expecting officials to just "have thicker skin" and simply take abuse isn't an OK stance. I've seen/heard that sentiment at grade school games up to the professional ranks.

Exactly.

Yeah I also ran into Tim Donaghey before this. The nba is involved in fixing games but to brush it under the rug Lewis was forced to resign so he wouldn’t have to serve jail time
I'm sorry but whatever your "sources" are isn't enough to make this kind of definitive statement.

You are purely speculating, actually know nothing for certain and should act as such.

Exactly.

I don't disagree, but our society needs to get serious about curtailing unruly fan, coach and player behavior.

Expecting officials to just "have thicker skin" and simply take abuse isn't an OK stance. I've seen/heard that sentiment at grade school games up to the professional ranks.

If they would quit fixing games everyone would be happy.

Sarcasm.

Was pretty insane to see Lithuania make their first NINE 3's today. US came back but every time they got close, LTU would get some sort of weird broken play 3 or something. And their big guys didn't seem to miss either.

Exactly.

Refs shouldn’t take abuse especially at youth level. Any parent or coach or player who does should be barred for life plus serve jail time the official need more protection

Exactly.

What?

First off, the current thread title is excellent. Thank goodness I wasn't drinking when I read it. Bravo
So if I search James Hardin fat suit, will I get pictures of Eddie Lacy? Don't wanna see that again.

Exactly.

Those are two totally separate issues. I don't expect officials to have "thicker skin" but I do expect them to have shorter memories.

Was pretty insane to see Lithuania make their first NINE 3's today. US came back but every time they got close, LTU would get some sort of weird broken play 3 or something. And their big guys didn't seem to miss either.
Lithuania got pounded by Serbia today instead of losing to the US and playing Italy. This is what you get for trying too hard.

Christian Wood to the Lakers for 2years at the minimum (2nd year player option).

I guess he got tired of waiting for the Heat / Lillard.

Nice signing for the min.

Christian Wood to the Lakers for 2years at the minimum (2nd year player option).

I guess he got tired of waiting for the Heat / Lillard.

Nice signing for the min.
Nice pickup for the Lakers. He’s a good insurance policy to an often injured Anthony Davis. While Wood isn’t great defensively—he’s a player thats capable of putting up 18-20 points a game should Davis get hurt

Dennis Schroder is unspeakably bad. Went 4/26 today and somehow chucked every shot at the end of the game while Franz Wagner just stood there. Germany somehow held on to win despite Schroder’s best efforts to blow it.

While that is probably true for this year, it isn't going forward. Harden is declining and I forget if it was Kev or Moops or whoever went through the 76ers cap situation and if they let Harden walk or only got back expiring deals they would have a good amount of money to spend going into next off-season.

While that is probably true for this year, it isn't going forward. Harden is declining and I forget if it was Kev or Moops or whoever went through the 76ers cap situation and if they let Harden walk or only got back expiring deals they would have a good amount of money to spend going into next off-season.
Fair enough. I don't love him on our team and the dream scenario is getting something good in return for him, but if it's nothing or he plays, I'd rather him play. Don't know much about the ramifications on our cap next year, etc though.

the only way that anyone wants him back is for him to play out this year and then leave. he's already opted in so the cap situation for this year is the same. he walks at the end of the season and the cap space is still open for next season. it gives them a better chance for this year than anything they can get back, though he may make it intolerable to the point that it is better to just dump him.

They'll be at $76m with just Embid, Tucker and three players from the island of misfit toys on the roster. Not exactly a FA destination.

i bet that poopbeard smells like a wet dog covered with poop and fleas take that to the bank brohans

They'll be at $76m with just Embid, Tucker and three players from the island of misfit toys on the roster. Not exactly a FA destination.

So they will have at least 60 million dollars to try to lure guys to play with Embiid before hitting the first threshold. Sounds pretty good. Plus we all know there will be a team looking to trade a disgruntled star or dump salary and giving up picks to do so or try to resign Harden to keep him happy.

Doesn't seem like a tough choice.

Users who are viewing this thread