What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meaningful Gift for HS Graduate (1 Viewer)

Peak

Footballguy
A relative of mine asked me for suggestions on what a meaningful gift would be for my son who is graduating HS. I am not a good gift giver, which my wife tells me all the time. I'm hoping you guys might have some good ideas.

Background: Son is athletic and loves sports. Baseball is his thing, and he'll be playing in college. My wife has been building a collection of items he'll need for college already (clothes, shower items/caddy, luggage, cooking utensils/plates/cookware, shelves, hangers, etc). She did the same when my daughter graduated HS and went to college. He's going out of state, within a 3hr drive from home. He golfs, plays pickleball and Spike Ball constantly. He's not a sentimental kid. He's funny and comical, but can be an *** if you get on his bad side - like most 18 year olds.

I'm open to any ideas. Not looking for expensive, just something "meaningful".

timely thread. spent the afternoon with my MIL today.

my wife has always said that her oldest brother is their mom's clear favorite, then her middle brother and then her.

my MIL mentioned something about how nice my wife and our daughters looked. that got them on the topic of jewelry and how the bracelet she was wearing today was one she bought 40 years ago. which segued in to HS graduation presents that she and my FIL bought for each of the kids.

my MIL is more or less oblivious to other people so she felt the need to tell us all how much they spent on each of the kid's graduation gifts.

oldest: $2500
middle: $1500
wife: $400

made for a fun conversation in the car on the way to brunch.

whatever you do, if you have more than one kid, don't go grand on the first one and decline the value of the gifts with each subsequent child.

if you want something meaningful...can they do something that honors his youth baseball times, like a collage of his old jerseys or an illustration of him when he started playing transitioning until now, maybe with some stats or something? Look on places like etsy and there prob are plenty of artists who can create something for sports kids. I've seen people male blankets or pillows out of sports jerseys.

What the kid is going to want and what is meaningful will not be the same thing.
This is where my head has been. Also agree with many here that Cash is the best gift. My wife doesn't agree and thinks I should know of something better. I've asked her for her thoughts and got the "this is your thing" response. Frustrating.

The other option may be the noise-cancelling headphones.

if you want something meaningful...can they do something that honors his youth baseball times, like a collage of his old jerseys or an illustration of him when he started playing transitioning until now, maybe with some stats or something? Look on places like etsy and there prob are plenty of artists who can create something for sports kids. I've seen people male blankets or pillows out of sports jerseys.
This is something I'm putting together for him from my wife and I. He's been playing ball since he was 5. I have reached out to 6 coaches that have really helped him over the years. Each one is writing him a letter and I'm going to add it to the Dr Seuss book "Oh the places you will go". I received the first one yesterday, and it's off to a good start. Thought about providing her with his old jerseys, but we don't have that many. He's only played for 4 teams over the last 12 years, and we've given some back to the younger teams who needed help with uniforms. I'm looking to see if there are any other things that can be swapped into this instead of jerseys, like Tournament or Camp T-shirts from the last few years.

Thanks for the feedback all!

What city is he going to? Is there a sports team there where tickets to a sporting event in his new city would be cool?
Louisville. Only team there he'd be interested in is the Louisville Bats. By the time he gets to school, their season will be close to ending. But not a bad idea either.

When my niece graduated, I gave her $100 and asked that she use it open a Roth (and let me help her do it).

To me, that's a pretty "meaningful" gift. I got explain how I was really giving her the first $10,000 towards her retirement. And her starting to see how investments grow and the discussions about what investments do when you contribute early and consistently. Led to her wanting to keep upping her own contributions, and she's mindful with her money.

I'm fine giving kids money to piss away on something that's going to be in a landfill by their 20th birthday. That's fun too. But I'd always prefer a gift that they will appreciate when they are 65. Or when their kids are 65.

Speaking of which, Brian Preston's Millionaire Mission book drops May 28th. Can't think of a better gift for an 18 year old.

I probably got a bunch of cash when I graduated high school. Who can remember? Doesn’t matter now.

I was going to business school for financial management and received some beautiful handmade wooden desk accessories. I still have them and know who gave them to me…

When my niece graduated, I gave her $100 and asked that she use it open a Roth (and let me help her do it).

To me, that's a pretty "meaningful" gift. I got explain how I was really giving her the first $10,000 towards her retirement. And her starting to see how investments grow and the discussions about what investments do when you contribute early and consistently. Led to her wanting to keep upping her own contributions, and she's mindful with her money.

I'm fine giving kids money to piss away on something that's going to be in a landfill by their 20th birthday. That's fun too. But I'd always prefer a gift that they will appreciate when they are 65. Or when their kids are 65.

Speaking of which, Brian Preston's Millionaire Mission book drops May 28th. Can't think of a better gift for an 18 year old.
Give him the book and tape an envelope with cash in it to the last page.

A relative of mine asked me for suggestions on what a meaningful gift would be for my son who is graduating HS. I am not a good gift giver, which my wife tells me all the time. I'm hoping you guys might have some good ideas.

Background: Son is athletic and loves sports. Baseball is his thing, and he'll be playing in college. My wife has been building a collection of items he'll need for college already (clothes, shower items/caddy, luggage, cooking utensils/plates/cookware, shelves, hangers, etc). She did the same when my daughter graduated HS and went to college. He's going out of state, within a 3hr drive from home. He golfs, plays pickleball and Spike Ball constantly. He's not a sentimental kid. He's funny and comical, but can be an *** if you get on his bad side - like most 18 year olds.

I'm open to any ideas. Not looking for expensive, just something "meaningful".
You said not expensive, but a trip to the beach or cruise together could be good.

Give him the book and tape an envelope with cash in it to the last page.
Oh, that's brilliant.

This is where my head has been. Also agree with many here that Cash is the best gift. My wife doesn't agree and thinks I should know of something better. I've asked her for her thoughts and got the "this is your thing" response. Frustrating.
Nope. That's just ridiculous.

What the kid is going to want and what is meaningful will not be the same thing.
this. but also

Most 18 year olds want cash. Uber eats gift card, tickets to a sporting event maybe

this

that said, and perhaps I'm projecting here, but I think as he gets older he'll learn to appreciate a meaningful gift. You say he's not sentimental but he's also 18.

So I have 2 suggestions. Go on ebay, a pawn shop or a sports memorabilia store anf get him a little something.

My other suggestion is to get him a glove. Maybe in 20 or 30 years he'll be telling his children about the glove pops gave him to play his college ball with.

It's high school. What does he need, a briefcase? A fancy pen? The only thing I could think of is a laptop, but he can buy that with the cash you give him.

Baseball signed by his HS team but you said he wasn’t sentimental so maybe not the right choice

Or maybe a lesson with a well regarded Baseball Coach/Instructor this summer to get him ready for college ball

my dad got me a nice attache case when I graduated HS. probably didn't cost that much $. but I do remember that each time I travel. Maybe good luggage?

Different occasion but my son recently got married and we bought him a MoccaMaster coffee maker, he loved ours and I thought it would make a nice gift.
We were the only people out of 75-100 guests that actually bought a physical gift
Everyone else just gave money or gift cards to the places they registered and didn't bother trying to wrap anything.
I felt so out of touch

-He makes coffee in it every day and loves it, said he would have never splurged for one...I said isn't that why we buy certain gifts for folks, things they won't buy for themselves?

I would just hand the kid graduating $100 up to whatever you're comfortable giving and call it a day

Last edited:
Speaking of this I remember making my own when I was 15. It wasn't half bad, either. Passed muster to get into bars. (I grew up in New Orleans, so a completely different standard than the rest of the US).

Now the kids just order them from China. Slackers.

My youngest son graduated HS a year ago. I gave him some cash, bought him a few books I thought were important, and got him an espresso machine he asked for. He genuinely thanked me for those, but he never mentioned them again. I spent some time writing him a letter trying to impart some life lessons (a road map based on my life experiences) and I took him on a road trip vacation. He often brings those up and even mentioned he is getting the letter framed (he hasn't).

Your kids will never turn down cash and gifts, but the most precious gift you can offer them is yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread