What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (2 Viewers)

Anyone own or drive a Tesla Model Y? Thoughts? I have heard good things and once my 2011 Prius finally goes I think the Y sounds like a good purchase.

Me. Just read FreeBaGel's experience again. Mine's no different. The Y's a little roomier and a little uglier. I have the long range. Never pumping gas again. Love driving it.

At this point, I can't envision myself ever buying another ICE vehicle again.
One of us, one of us
Similar update 3 months into the Air - holy crap is it the greatest thing I've ever driven. And home charging without ever having to go to a gas station is amazing. Convenience of frunks are amazing. The self driving thing in highway traffic is amazing. The acceleration to merge or jump ahead of people from a stoplight is amazing.

The whole experience has been incredible. For something I figured would have a real high chance of buyers' remorse, if anything every time I drive it I'm more glad I got it.

At this point, I can't envision myself ever buying another ICE vehicle again.
One of us, one of us
Similar update 3 months into the Air - holy crap is it the greatest thing I've ever driven. And home charging without ever having to go to a gas station is amazing. Convenience of frunks are amazing. The self driving thing in highway traffic is amazing. The acceleration to merge or jump ahead of people from a stoplight is amazing.

The whole experience has been incredible. For something I figured would have a real high chance of buyers' remorse, if anything every time I drive it I'm more glad I got it.
"You know when you're on the highway, and there's an opening you want to get to, and then you get frustrated because you realize you can't? I can ALWAYS get there now."
-EV-owning friend

Fisker is in trouble. Cancelled my reservation. I hope someone buys them cause it sounds like it’s a well built car that launched with buggy not-ready SW

To the people considering them: Just be sure you're able to charge at home. While the Supercharger network is a great option to have, and a huge differentiator for Tesla, over 80% of charging is done from home. There is a much greater % of EV dissatisfaction from people who thought they could just use charging stations and didn't need a home charging option. It's also better for your battery. I'd do 98% of my charging from home if I didn't have free supercharging. I take advantage of that when I can, but only because I can for free.
Don't forget the federal tax credit to on parts and installation for home charging stations.

I have a feeling I'm going to spend most of the weekend searching how many miles are too many miles to buy a used tesla for each trim.
Keep in mind there is no way to buy an extended warranty on the batteries. So risk tolerance will play into your calculus.

Fisker is in trouble. Cancelled my reservation. I hope someone buys them cause it sounds like it’s a well built car that launched with buggy not-ready SW
There's one of these in our neighborhood in Dallas. There's this weird kinship whenever I see this stranger, but also that car is UGLY. Squat, kinda weird lines...

There's one of these in our neighborhood in Dallas. There's this weird kinship whenever I see this stranger, but also that car is UGLY. Squat, kinda weird lines...
Whereabouts in DFW are you, and have you seen any Cybertrucks out in the wild?

I'm in Dallas proper, near SMU. No cybertruck sightings yet. One other guy in the same building as my office has a Lucid Air also though.

Saw it. Not a good effort by the reviewer

Saw it. Not a good effort by the reviewer
:confused:

Not a good effort?

I'm in Dallas proper, near SMU. No cybertruck sightings yet. One other guy in the same building as my office has a Lucid Air also though.
I'm in Plano. I saw a Lucid before I knew what they were. I agree with BobSac, those are sexy cars. I have a buddy who says he has seen a Cybertruck or maybe even 2 out and about in the area. I'm keeping my eyes peeled because this place is Tesla central but haven't seen one yet.

I'm in Plano. I saw a Lucid before I knew what they were. I agree with BobSac, those are sexy cars. I have a buddy who says he has seen a Cybertruck or maybe even 2 out and about in the area. I'm keeping my eyes peeled because this place is Tesla central but haven't seen one yet.

I saw a CT out on the Bush a few weeks back.

To the people considering them: Just be sure you're able to charge at home. While the Supercharger network is a great option to have, and a huge differentiator for Tesla, over 80% of charging is done from home. There is a much greater % of EV dissatisfaction from people who thought they could just use charging stations and didn't need a home charging option. It's also better for your battery. I'd do 98% of my charging from home if I didn't have free supercharging. I take advantage of that when I can, but only because I can for free.
I thought this was going to be the case but with so many free/low cost options around haven't bothered. I went 3 weeks and about 1500 miles without paying for electrons. They next town over has two free chargers exactly two miles away. When I need juice I make it apart of my daily 3 mile walk. When it's raining, my town has 2 chargers two blocks away that cost .12 / KW. When I'm traveling to Asheville, there are 4 free chargers within a mile.

I thought this was going to be the case but with so many free/low cost options around haven't bothered. I went 3 weeks and about 1500 miles without paying for electrons. They next town over has two free chargers exactly two miles away. When I need juice I make it apart of my daily 3 mile walk. When it's raining, my town has 2 chargers two blocks away that cost .12 / KW. When I'm traveling to Asheville, there are 4 free chargers within a mile.
When we can get a real, effective, while-you're-parked level 2, solar-based, free, charging solution - that'll make a solid difference. The second thing will be when there's actually well-spaced, trustworthy, fast charging for road trips. I have the longest range vehicle on the market, it's way more comfortable AND safe than our Subaru, and I still don't know if I want to go more than 1 charge away because of charging anxiety.

That has to be fixed for mass adoption.

My daughter and I saw a cyber truck yesterday, she(8) thought it was cool.

When we can get a real, effective, while-you're-parked level 2, solar-based, free, charging solution - that'll make a solid difference. The second thing will be when there's actually well-spaced, trustworthy, fast charging for road trips. I have the longest range vehicle on the market, it's way more comfortable AND safe than our Subaru, and I still don't know if I want to go more than 1 charge away because of charging anxiety.

Planning to drive from Phoenix to Santa Ynez area in Oct. That'll be the first time I've traveled that far, and I don't have nearly the range you do. I'm not sweating it, but I do charge for free @ superchargers, which helps. Might have to wait here and there once we reach CA, but I think we'll be fine. First time my wife will be subjected to such a lengthy ride in it, though. THAT'S the part I'm sweating. 🤣

Planning to drive from Phoenix to Santa Ynez area in Oct. That'll be the first time I've traveled that far, and I don't have nearly the range you do. I'm not sweating it, but I do charge for free @ superchargers, which helps. Might have to wait here and there once we reach CA, but I think we'll be fine. First time my wife will be subjected to such a lengthy ride in it, though. THAT'S the part I'm sweating. 🤣
Yeah I have free at EA chargers still for 2 more years. Going Dallas west towards AZ or CO is my big concern - looks like I can go north to OKC, charge, then go west, making a stop at the 1-2 options in Oklahoma to get me to NM...or I can make it reeaaaaallllly dicey and try to get from Dallas to Amarillo, where there are chargers but the reviews indicate unreliable and also it's a BIG stretch that idk if I can actually make at highway speeds or if theres any sort of weather.

The lucid forum suggests that AZ going West is extremely doable. CA seems very easy also. A lot of the east coast seems alright. But West Texas is a dead zone and much of middle america is too.

Key for wife (I will have same thoughts) is planning something to do around the stop - because it's not 5-10 for gas, it's 30-50 depending on if i need to push it above 80% to get to the next charger.

I have friends who keep talking about the resale market and how EVs drop in value much faster than ICE vehicles.

How much of a concern is this for people? I'm going to guess with this forum the answer will be zero concern. But still wondered what people thought.
A lot of that wasn’t truly depreciation. Prices have come way down on a lot of these cars so early adopters paid more than you can buy them for at present. The tax credit also figures in to the calculation. Example……in 2020 the Chevy Bolt’s MSRP was 37k. Since it’s 27K in 2023, that will show as 30% depreciation. I bought my 2023 Bolt EUV with a MSRP of $29.200 for $20,800 after the tax credit. Year old car hasn’t depreciated at all, I could easily get 20k for it today.

The reason I ask is I have a good friend who owns several new car dealerships (and sells ICE along with EVs). Talked with him last month and he said as his friend, he wouldn't sell me an EV as the resale market was so brutal. I thought that was interesting. Looking at some of the used car prices for EVs seemed to bear that out.

The reason I ask is I have a good friend who owns several new car dealerships (and sells ICE along with EVs). Talked with him last month and he said as his friend, he wouldn't sell me an EV as the resale market was so brutal. I thought that was interesting. Looking at some of the used car prices for EVs seemed to bear that out.
You have to ask yourself if the retail price of EVs will keep dropping, because that’s where the bulk of the depreciation came from. I mean when the Plaid came out it was like $140k, now it’s 90k. Ice cars haven’t dropped their MSRPs like that. Hence the depreciation difference. Nobody’s going to buy a used Plaid for more than what they can buy one new. At some point, soon if not already I think, the MSRP isn’t going to drop anymore. At this point I think you need to compare ice car to EV on an even basis. Which offers more car and is a better fit for you at the same price point. If you’re not paying extra, just to drive an EV, I don’t think you can go wrong.

Last edited:
You have to ask yourself if the retail price of EVs will keep dropping, because that’s where the bulk of the depreciation came from. I mean when the Plaid came out it was like $140k, now it’s 90k. Ice cars haven’t dropped their MSRPs like that. Hence the depreciation difference. Nobody’s going to buy a used Plaid for more than what they can buy one new. At some point, soon if not already I think, the MSRP isn’t going to drop anymore. At this point I think you need to compare ice car to EV on an even basis. Which offers more car and is a better fit for you at the same price point. If you’re not paying extra, just to drive an EV, I don’t think you can go wrong.
Agree with this. Watching it happen, so many of these EVs early off the line have tons of startup costs baked in, and as companies achieve better scale and demand changes and they move past the early adopters on the curve, prices fall with costs.

There are a bunch of online articles which talk about the importance of resale value, but I doubt it crosses the average consumer’s mind. Personally, I’ve never factored resale into any car purchase, and I don’t expect that to change with EVs.

I imagine it’s a bigger deal if you buy new vehicles every few years. Maybe that’s when leasing makes sense?

There are a bunch of online articles which talk about the importance of resale value, but I doubt it crosses the average consumer’s mind.

We'll disagree there. I think resale value is something the average consumer considers.
Looks like you’re correct:
In the vast landscape of the automotive market, consumers navigate a multitude of considerations when choosing their next vehicle. Factors such as performance, features, and aesthetics often take the spotlight. A recent YouGov study also reveals that a car's warranty and maintenance plan are important considerations for nearly four-fifths of global consumers. But what about the resale value of a car? Do financially savvy consumers continue to recognize this as a crucial determinant of their overall satisfaction and has it become a fundamental aspect of the decision-making process?

Data from a recent YouGov Surveys: Serviced poll across 18 key international markets, reveals that nearly two-thirds of consumers globally (64%) believe that a car’s resale value is ‘somewhat’ or ‘very’ important when choosing a new car.
I guess I can see it as a tiebreaker, when comparing two similar vehicles, but where would you rank it among factors you consider? To me, price, reliability, and performance are the top three, appearance and comfort factor in as well, but after that :shrug:

Well I bought my 2017 Armada with 45,000 miles for $30k in 2021 and now it's worth $20k after I've spent about $10k on maintenance including the transmission. So I've gotten my butt kicked on resale my ICE already.

I don't weigh resale value much in the buying process, but nothing holds value like trucks. I drove a used Raptor for two years and when used prices started getting out of hand I sold it for more than I paid. SUVs do better than other vehicles except for 2017 Armadas. EVs do the worst but the huge tax credit and falling msrps, as explained above certainly even things up.

The winner is hybrids.

Just how well are hybrids holding up against EVs and even ICE cars in terms of resale? Well, better than all of them on average, actually based on the same iSeeCars study. The industry average depreciation rate over a five-year period is 38.8 percent, while hybrids, on the other hand, fare better than the industry average at 37.4 percent.

I bought used, and I'm hoping it continues, as it's my most likely path to my next S.

At some point the next best thing (hydrogen?) is going to come along and they'll drop off a cliff completely. OR those people who are against for no reason other than the opposing political party supports them will have to work past their issues and expand adoption as inevitable improvements continue. Tesla alone has tons of room for improvement. I'm hoping the competition forces it to happen.

I have friends who keep talking about the resale market and how EVs drop in value much faster than ICE vehicles.

How much of a concern is this for people? I'm going to guess with this forum the answer will be zero concern. But still wondered what people thought.
Resale value for vehicles is definitely a concern for me. I can’t speak for anybody else, but it’s definitely a factor. I’ve purchased and owned cars that carry great resale value and those that don’t command good resale value. The common denominator for me is that if I knowingly purchase a vehicle with bad resale value—I have to love the vehicle—AND I have to be able to get it at such a good deal to soften the blow of the weak resale value. I personally have not owned an electric vehicle yet—but I will be in the market for a new vehicle in the next couple of years. I do think that used car prices will fall off of a cliff in the next 6-12 months—so I am open to buying early if I find an insane deal. With that said, I personally would hesitate to buy a pre-owned electric vehicle because of the nature of their service patterns. My former boss had a Tesla Model S that needed a new battery months before her warranty ran out. Had the vehicle not been under warranty—I believe the cost to replace it at the time was in the neighborhood of $40k+. Just look at your cell phone as it ages—the older it gets—the more you have to charge it and the less it holds a charge. At this moment in time, I just feel like there is a far greater history of predictability in ICE and Hybrid vehicles vs electric as they age. I’m not anti-EV—in fact—I actively root for them to succeed. With that said, my comfort level in buying a pre-owned one is just not there. Clearly, I’m not alone in this dynamic—as they would hold far better resale value if people were comfortable buying them used. I absolutely believe that one of the factors in their poor resale value is due to the exact hesitation that I feel.

My former boss had a Tesla Model S that needed a new battery months before her warranty ran out. Had the vehicle not been under warranty—I believe the cost to replace it at the time was in the neighborhood of $40k+.
Even if the cost is 10-20 grand, I'm not buying a used car with a 5 figure cost hanging over my head that can drop anytime after 100,000 miles.

I assume future generations will sort this in some way or another.

As others have mentioned, you need to factor in the tax credit. That already takes 18% off the resale on a Tesla on day one. Also you need to factor in maintenance. Here's my trucks schedule...

Every 7500 miles - Rotate tires.
Every 3 years - Brake fluid flush
Every 113,000 miles - Drive fluid change in quad motor only

That's it.

I drove a Telsa up and down the east coast and west through the deep south. Never a worry about charging and really more than 20% use at the superchargers. I'm more concerned about the availably of good coffee on road trips than electrons.

Signed up for complimentary Tesla adapter today for the MachE. Haven’t seen how much of the network that would make available. More options will help reduce range anxiety.

As others have mentioned, you need to factor in the tax credit. That already takes 18% off the resale on a Tesla on day one. Also you need to factor in maintenance. Here's my trucks schedule...

That's it.
You’ve got more frequent tire replacements to think about too from what I’ve read, no?

That's it.
You’ve got more frequent tire replacements to think about too from what I’ve read, no?
A little maybe, they are heavy cars. The lack of having to replace brakes more than makes up for it.

That's it.
A little maybe, they are heavy cars. The lack of having to replace brakes more than makes up for it.
I have to guess it isn't just weight but also torque given how I drive mine HAHA

That's it.
I have to guess it isn't just weight but also torque given how I drive mine HAHA
That as well. These cars more than any other need tire rotations.

I have this conversation with my wife.

"We don't have maintenance on your car."

We have deferred maintenance. When something goes wrong and/or needs replacement, it's not going to be cheap. And little things like window regulators (actuators?) and door handle motors are going to happen along the way.

My daughter and I saw a cyber truck yesterday, she(8) thought it was cool.
That thing looks like it was designed by an 8 year old. I saw one this weekend while visiting Austin. Also saw the Fisker SUV. I thought it looked ok, didn't care for the matte finish the one I saw had.

Users who are viewing this thread