What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best "Cheap" Beer? (1 Viewer)

Narragansett Lager and Lagunitas (fairly cheap).

Also, odd that I find out at the very end of a "random" article that Tasha Dixon is a brewer at Ardent now. She used to be a beertender/taproom manager elsewhere, so cool on her for taking on a new career.

Seems like there's definitely different levels of "cheap" here. I personally would have included Yuengling for the Northeast.
Yuengling definitely first came to mind for me but I'd note that it's only "cheap" in the northeast whereas there's usually a significant markup across the rest of the country.

My votes on this, without having looked at the article and just going off what I've enjoyed in my life, would be:

Amstel Light
Premium Grain Belt
Rolling Rock

Wait, Sierra Nevada and Anchor Steam qualify? I'd definitely have them on my list.

Also, shocked to learn that Gennessee Cream Ale is still made. I gotta find one of these. This way my dad's beer of choice when I was a kid (though he rarely drank) and, as it should be, was my first sip of beer.

Still getting through the article. Wren House and Odell count?? These would easily get my vote.

Sierrra Nevada PA is in my top 5 of favorite go-to beers. Bought a 12 pack yesterday for $20. Not a cheap beer IMO and shouldn't be in the same category as Bud and the like.

Edit: Looking at how they defined "cheap" isn't by cost or by blandness. It is more of a go-to type beer definition. Maybe they needed a different word than "cheap".

Last edited:
Sierrra Nevada PA is in my top 5 of favorite go-to beers. Bought a 12 pack yesterday for $20. Not a cheap beer IMO and shouldn't be in the same category as Bud and the like.

Edit: Looking at how they defined "cheap" isn't by cost or by blandness. It is more of a go-to type beer definition. Maybe they needed a different word than "cheap".
Agreed. The "cheap" part confused me as I was assuming like a dollar per beer or something.

In other words, they're treating it like a "session" type beer - i.e. a lower ABV that one can have several of throughout a warm summer day or something.

Such an odd list that has a handful that are far from "cheap" beer.

I will say the best "cheap beer" name of the list has to be Frio Light

I think pFreim Pilsner is terrific as are many of their offerings. But you aren't getting a six-pack of pFreim for less than $9.99 and that's ONLY if they're on sale. They'll generally run $10.99 to $11.99 for a six-pack at Trader Joes or Fred Meyer. Rainier is the unironic hipster beer du jour in the PNW and it's.....fine. Drinkable on a hot day at the river if they're ice cold, but I'm not ordering one at a bar. And I think a six-pack here is $5.99 if that.

“While the obvious choice would be Rainier, and the contrarian choice would be Oly – I’m going with a beer that’s actually brewed in the PNW: pFriem Pilsner. It’s widely available in supermarkets, it’s often fresh, it’s relatively affordable, AND it’s a two-time GABF award-winning recipe. On the surface, it’s snappy, clean, and refreshing. But underneath is a quality malt bill, a well-executed fermentation and a carefully balanced hop presence all the way through.” — Steve Luke, head brewer & founder at Cloudburst Brewing

The article's definition of cheap is misleading:

"The guidelines are loose: “cheap” isn’t an exact term, but in this case describes beer you typically buy by the case, something with which you’d fill a cooler, and without a second thought. Nothing precious. These beers are meant to be drunk with friends."

A case is typically a pack of 24, and some of these can only be bought in packs of 12, such as Sierra Nevada.

"The guidelines are loose: “cheap” isn’t an exact term, but in this case describes beer you typically buy by the case, something with which you’d fill a cooler, and without a second thought. Nothing precious. These beers are meant to be drunk with friends."

A case is typically a pack of 24, and some of these can only be bought in packs of 12, such as Sierra Nevada.

Sierra Nevada sells their pale ale and Celebration in cases. My wife gave up beer a few years ago but SNPA used to be the only beer she would drink. I used to buy a case for $25 which I would consider "cheap" although I'm sure the price has gone up as with everything else over the past few years.

In college we were at the local supermarket and they had a pallet of beer that was $0.97 a six pack. It was white can with BEER in black letters. The store manager was trying to offload the entire pallet and said he would make a deal with us. We bought a six pack to go try it out and it was so bad it wasn't even worth spending $0.97 a six pack on it.

Now that is cheap beer.

Miller Lite is the house wine at my house.

i love miller lite. its the only lite beer i can drink. have always hated bud, coors, etc.
i get the occasional IPA but miller lite is always my go to. drinking more bourbon/whiskey these days then beer though

Miller Lite is the house wine at my house.

i love miller lite. its the only lite beer i can drink. have always hated bud, coors, etc.
i get the occasional IPA but miller lite is always my go to. drinking more bourbon/whiskey these days then beer though
.......but what about Keystone Light? I mean they have those specially lined cans that keep you from getting bitter beer face

Don't forget about Lucky Lager.....I mean, it may only be 11 oz's but you do get a nice riddle to figure out on the cap

Seems like there's definitely different levels of "cheap" here. I personally would have included Yuengling for the Northeast.

Oh how I miss the days of $0.50 drafts mid-week in State College PA...

I went to college a long time ago - but we could get a 12 pack of Goebel DELIVERED to our dorm room for $2.50+.50 tip. We also bought cases of returnables (.75 returnable fee per case) of Braumeister or Yacht Club for $5.50.

none of these beers are made any more.

I know articles like this get ripped and I usually defend them but this one. Sierra Nevada and Burial on a "cheap beer" list against Budweiser?

Innertube isn't cheap but it is a very good simple lager. I guess it's probably cheaper than the Burial IPAs, if that's what they mean.

Sierra Nevada sells their pale ale and Celebration in cases. My wife gave up beer a few years ago but SNPA used to be the only beer she would drink. I used to buy a case for $25 which I would consider "cheap" although I'm sure the price has gone up as with everything else over the past few years.
Didn't know. Location? We can only get 12's here in Nebraska.

In college we were at the local supermarket and they had a pallet of beer that was $0.97 a six pack. It was white can with BEER in black letters. The store manager was trying to offload the entire pallet and said he would make a deal with us. We bought a six pack to go try it out and it was so bad it wasn't even worth spending $0.97 a six pack on it.

Now that is cheap beer.
:lmao:

In the early 2000s, the Gluek brewing company in rural Minnesota made an ice beer so terrible (Hackstein Ice) it sold for $3.97 for a case (24-pack). We would play this game where four of us would watch a movie and we had to finish the case (so a six-pack to each guy). The guy who couldn't finish his six by the end of the movie would have to buy the next case.

That stuff was truly wretched though the cheapest beer I've ever seen. Made Natural Ice taste like the nectar of gods.

Now that is cheap beer.

Sounds like the equivalent of Germany's 5.0, except that's actually drinkable

Also I shudder to think what the mentioned up thread Amstel Light tastes like, the normal version is not great in the first place

12 pack of Sierra products are on sale for $15.99 every other week at our local harris Teeter. Given that it's 7-9% abv, it's basically like getting a case.

I love my Coors Light and I drink wayyy too much of it. But then again, I tend to like the "idea" of drinking beer without the whole getting drunk aspect.

It doesn't help that the Safeway by me always has great coupons on the 12 pack bottles. They are 14.99, but if you buy two, you get them for 11.99 each, but in their digital app they offer $6 off on top of that. My Kings Soopers has a very similar deal, but it applies to 18 packs. My wife just doesn't appreciate how much money I save this family due to my beer coupon efforts. :p

Best cheap beer I would say Miller Lite.

But had you asked me during any summer of the 90s when we spent every summer night drinking I would have said “Beast Light” (Milwaukee Best Lite). Coming in under $9 for a case it was the clear choice for this aspiring college dropout.

I lost a bet and had to shotgun a Hamm's Genuine Draft in college. I've met few beers I wouldnt drink, but it was genuinely horrible. I'm pretty sure there were tears involved and perhaps a near-vomit experience. And I don't think I was even drunk when I started. It was so bad I think in retrospect it may have gone bad. A mass-produced beer shouldn't be able to be THAT awful.

It does NOT get my vote.

Now that is cheap beer.
My brother and I ran into a similar deal with a local liquor store selling off all their stock of a TGI Friday's private labeled beer. They had a regular and a light. We weren't as smart as you and bought it all before tasting it. Wretched beer. We didn't quite have a whole pallet but it was enough 24 pack bottle cases to make two stacks floor to ceiling in our apartment.

Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold is the same price as Bud Light/Coors Light etc... in my parts, I don't know if that holds true in the States but it would probably get my vote.

Does anyone drink Blue Light in the States (outside of Buffalo)? I'd probably go with it or Miller Lite of the big "North American" macros. Both are more in the traditional crispy pilsner mold which I like, than the Buds and Coors of the world which just feel like lighter versions of heavy lagers IMO.

Amstel Light is solid too but not widely available up here.

Users who are viewing this thread