What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk About Alcohol (4 Viewers)

How much alcohol do you drink?

• 14+ drinks per week

Votes: 50 14.6%
  • 7-13 drinks per week

Votes: 56 16.3%
  • 3-6 drinks per week

Votes: 62 18.1%
  • 1-2 drinks per week

Votes: 28 8.2%
  • A few drinks a month

Votes: 45 13.1%
  • A few drinks a year

Votes: 34 9.9%
  • Mostly not at all

Votes: 23 6.7%
  • I don't drink at all

Votes: 45 13.1%

• Total voters
Binge drank in college, because, hey, it’s college. Since then, I’m only an occasional drinker and only in social settings. I never drink at home unless we are hosting a party, much to my wife’s chagrin as she’d love me to join her in a glass of wine most evenings. Honestly, I don’t really care much for alcohol. I could give it up altogether tomorrow without batting an eye. As it is, I probably drink only 1-3 times a month.

I feel like this thread is really just part of a new FBG advertising partnership with Oura,
Jokes aside, I have heard a lot of similar observations from people that have these Oura rings
Is the case for me. Hit a "milestone" bday late last year and definitely drank more through the end of the year. Most of my readiness scores were lower end "good" or down into "fair". Cutting back again got me into higher end "good" with a pleasing number of "optimals". Local brewery came out with an NA line and they're actually good, so replacing some of my high octane beers with those has helped, along with cutting back in general.

That massive roar you don't hear is mushroom microdosing. It's coming, and it's coming fast.

Would like to hear more insights on this. What can you tell us?
Headlines from a legalization angle

The speed with which mushrooms are making their way into the decriminalization/legalization discussion is mind blowing. I would estimate the strides mushroom acceptance over the last 5-7 years took marijuana about 40 years. And there's no real pushback, not like there was with weed. Which I guess is logical. Maybe people think it's not a war they can win.

My brother is 33, he and his wife have little pontoon boat, they go to concerts, ball games, ski trips. They drink. They grew up drinking. He just got back from a Breck snowmobile trip, and told me they had 3 or 4 drinks the entire trip. Whole group was micro-dosing. 5 or 6 couples!

I know a bunch of finance/tech type NYC professionals who do it, and I know a 50 something couple that does it when they go out, regularly.

Thanks. And sorry to be dumb, but can you elaborate on exactly what "microdosing mushrooms" means? Where does one buy these? How is it done?

3-6 a week nearly always on the weekends. Some weeks I don't drink at all. When I do it's usually cocktails or a glass of wine. Hardly ever drink beer any more.

Thanks. And sorry to be dumb, but can you elaborate on exactly what "microdosing mushrooms" means? Where does one buy these? How is it done?
There is an amount of mushrooms where the psychedelic part kicks in. Whether you eat them, or make a tea, or capsules. Microdosing is taking less than that amount.

If you had a beer with your brisket today, you microdosed a beer. :hifive:

Here's a good read

If you read that article, you may notice there isn't a lot of hard facts. No one can tell you what the exact size of a microdose is, or even 100% what it does. Which would make me think that people would be skeptical, but man, that is not what I am seeing, and not what I am hearing. Housewives! Housewives are all over these. Mother's Little Helper 2024.

answer is greatly influenced by age which is why i think there is less drinking than i would've guessed since think we have an older contingent here. i'm at 1-2 drinks /week which i thought was quite low, 10 or 15 years ago i would have been 14+ and was on the low side of the people i socialized with.

There is an amount of mushrooms where the psychedelic part kicks in. Whether you eat them, or make a tea, or capsules. Microdosing is taking less than that amount.

Here's a good read

If you read that article, you may notice there isn't a lot of hard facts. No one can tell you what the exact size of a microdose is, or even 100% what it does. Which would make me think that people would be skeptical, but man, that is not what I am seeing, and not what I am hearing. Housewives! Housewives are all over these. Mother's Little Helper 2024.
I rode the chairlift with a couple that had a mushroom business we had an interesting conversation about how to sell to my demographic. They gave my buddy a sample. It was a nicely packaged little chocolate Never tried it myself.

I'd venture to guess I'm hitting my 14+ for the week around every Wednesday most weeks and I fwiw I cut back over 10 years ago.

Here's a good read

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9Lspb9f9U LOL

I do wonder how many millennials and especially Gen Zers just smoke weed. I strongly suspect that has a lot to do with this, and that's a good tradeoff IMO
Gen X’er here and this was always my preferred method. Was a heavy smoker in my 20’s but once the career got serious I stop. With it being legal have thought about picking it back up but pretty sure wifey wouldn’t dig it.

I went from top option to bottom option about three years ago. Not sure on the science, but my best guess is my diabetes didn’t process alcohol the same way and it knocked me on my ***. I miss alcohol about two minutes per year. I have had zero negative feedback to my decision to give up drinking.

Voted 7-13. Very rarely more than 3 on any given day, but between my love for wine and having a few while golfing, I usually get there.

Voted 3-6, but it really depends. I’m a Friday/Saturday drinker when I’m home. Hardly ever drink during the week. Come Friday night, I’m looking to unwind and usually it’s a couple of drinks at dinner. Repeat on Saturday. Usually vodka/soda or wine. Margaritas when we go to our favorite Mexican restaurants. Not a big beer drinker. Most of my friends are big IPA guys but it just bloats me. I will have a light beer or 2 golfing but that’s it.

The 4 caveats are: 1) on the road at work. I work from home most of the time, but if I travel with my team drinks are always part of the program with dinner. Same during conventions. 2) Concerts/Vegas. I like a good buzz at a concert. I have a high tolerance so it can lead to binge drinking. I can do 6 vodka sodas and be perfectly fine. Now I’ll have a couple then shift to a gummy. 3) Vacation. Just got back from Cabo and never got hammered, but drank plenty.4) golf trips with the boys. All bets are off. Reading it I guess that’s a lot of caveats.

I will cut back and may give it up entirely. For one, it really affects my quality of sleep. Second, my cardiologist is not a fan, especially of binge drinking. She’s got posters on her walls re the dangers. I should heed them.

No one would think I’m an introvert but I am. Loosens me up in social situations. I need to learn to do without it. I don’t want to be that retiree where Happy Hour moves from 5pm
to 11am. No bueno.

Gave it up almost 10 years ago and haven’t looked back. I don’t miss it at all, nor does it stop me from having a great time at concerts, parties, dinners out with friends etc. It does get annoying to be around really drunk people late in the evening — which makes me realize I might have been “that guy” at some stage in the past too.

The younger people I work with (tons of co-workers who are mid-20s to late 30s) seem to be mostly social drinkers. Many of them are way way more into pot than they are alcohol. My kids are in high school and have shown zero interest in drinking — but in fairness, that was me at the same age, partly for the same reason (seeing and knowing about alcoholism first hand).

1-2 per week. And only 1 per sitting generally. Some weeks none. Rarely a week with more without a reason (friends or a Steelers game on mnf).

But my drinks are like a 14% or higher stout, scotch neat, or an old fashioned, all probably on the stiff side.

I don’t really drink. Maybe 1 a month. Saw what it did to my dad, who was a belligerent and bad man and didn’t want that for myself. Always felt like if it could do those things to him it was in my blood.

i can go a month or two without drinking while at home. If i am traveling , then i drink more as I love trying new beers.

Here's a good read

Hoping this trend continues, as I’m all-in with mind-altering substances, once my body fails me. But I’d prefer psychedelic drugs actually distort reality. Does decriminalization only apply to micro doses?

As for the OP, rarely imbibe, maybe a dozen (mixed, “girly”) drinks a year, and genuinely don‘t understand what all the fuss is about. Never found it relaxing, or fun, but seems like my experience is not the norm. Then again, I‘m not sure I’ve ever been “drunk”.

Much like mushrooms, there’s probably a component of expectations influencing outcomes.

Used to drink at least 1 heavy stout daily. Last year or so had switched to wine a couple nights per week with that going down to once a week. This year haven’t had anything. Don’t really miss it but now I have the wife complaining about all the expensive beer and wine I’m not using…

Binge drank in college, because, hey, it’s college. Since then, I’m only an occasional drinker and only in social settings. I never drink at home unless we are hosting a party, much to my wife’s chagrin as she’d love me to join her in a glass of wine most evenings. Honestly, I don’t really care much for alcohol. I could give it up altogether tomorrow without batting an eye. As it is, I probably drink only 1-3 times a month.
This is me to a T. I'll have a beer or 2 on the occasional weekend. Most I drink is during an annual March golf trip with friends. After that, I could go dry until the holidays, with a beer here and there at a BBQ, etc.

My wife loves her glass (or 3) of wine a couple/three times a week. She does concern me sometimes because if the bottle is opened, it's emptied... every time. She's been good at only buying one bottle when she's at the store. But the potential is there for problems.

This is me to a T. I'll have a beer or 2 on the occasional weekend. Most I drink is during an annual March golf trip with friends. After that, I could go dry until the holidays, with a beer here and there at a BBQ, etc.

My wife loves her glass (or 3) of wine a couple/three times a week. She does concern me sometimes because if the bottle is opened, it's emptied... every time. She's been good at only buying one bottle when she's at the store. But the potential is there for problems.
Yep started drinking when I was 15ish..... partied my *** off in college and into my mid to late 20s...... Once "I settled" down I just didn't feel the urge anymore :shrug:

I've almost completely cut it out. Maybe one special occasion a year and an occasional glass of wine when having dinner with the wife.

When I left regular alcohol consumption 8 years ago, my life quality and personal happiness became exponentially better. One of the best personal decisions I've ever made.

I don't regret my two decades of drinking, but I wished I would have started my non-alcohol life 10 years earlier.

ETA; It's a personal decision, I wouldn't presume to know what's best for anybody else.

Was never a huge drinker, even in college (drank most weekends, but very rarely to the point of being sick/fall down drunk, blacking out, etc).

Now....its just not a big part of my life. When I get together with my college friends we'll have a few.(Maybe 5 or 6 drinks over the course of an entire day at someone's house...with plenty of food and non-alcoholic drinks mixed in) I might knock out 2 or 3 High Noons or a transfusion during/after a round of golf. But I'm not wine/straight hard liquor guy and I'm not someone who is gonna sit down and put down a six pack while watching a football game. Just doesn't appeal to me.

At some point, I noticed that nearly everyone around my age who was in BAD shape (I'm now 40) was that way because of drinking (mostly beer). I'd rather eat my calories.
I've pretty much quit and my health has gone down the toilet. I asked my doctor if he's known anyone who's stopped drinking and put on 25 pounds. That got a chuckle but he pointed out the obvious that it's not much of a benefit if you are backfilling with unhealthy food. What's not funny is that I'm back in 3 months for blood work. Can't wait for daylight saving and warmer weather to make evening exercise enjoyable.

I'm 41 and I started way at the top. When we first got married my wife and I were about as about as relaxed and chill about drinking as could be. We got married and moved away so it was just hanging out socially, looking for friends. Always a good time and alcohol never interfered with anything in our daily life, other than health.

I'm barely in the 1-2 a week category now and sometimes I don't even reach that. My wife still likes a glass of wine with a nice dinner once or twice a week, but she never has more than one. I'm really just a social drinker now, but one or two tops.

I guess the older we got the more we focused on the 3 kids and our own health. Probably in that order. We're both in the best shape we've ever been in now and love it. If I have a sip of alcohol after 8pm I get terrible sleep and hate it the next day. I even wake up questions why I didn't just take 3 La Croixs with me.

We had the drug and alcohol talk with our oldest (about to be 14 yo boy) and yesterday and he wants nothing to do with either. He's "locked in" (his words). I was the opposite at 14, I couldn't wait to buy my own cigarettes, get drunk and find some guys to buy weed from.

I have a question for the people that drink to relax after a difficult day. How does that work? I have tried that a couple of times and it doesn't relax me. I must be doing it wrong.

I probably average 1 drink a week for thr entire year, but they all happen on vacation, during the summer on the boat or at parties, or a special occasion.

This is exactly me.

I definitely used to drink more when I had more of a social life. As it is with two kids still in the house, I don't do much socializing or drinking.

I've also never had a problem with addiction, so 1 drink never inevitably turned into more unless it was a rare night where I was in the mood.

I have a question for the people that drink to relax after a difficult day. How does that work? I have tried that a couple of times and it doesn't relax me. I must be doing it wrong.

I probably average 1 drink a week for thr entire year, but they all happen on vacation, during the summer on the boat or at parties, or a special occasion.
If I'm kicking back with a beer I'm typically in a recliner slow sipping with nothing else going on. Heart rate is usually 60 or below, totally relaxed.

Part of the issue lately is that I grabbed a stake in a craft beer store and run the place on Fri and Sat
When I found out the owner doesn't even drink but makes recommendations I quickly jumped in
My partner is good at paper work and logistics, that makes my life a lot easier so i can focus on the beers and the customer experience as well as marketing

I just drink too many of them and have a fridge stocked full of them at home.
I got Hazy IPAs coming out of my ears, just this past week alone we got new ones in from "Other Half" "Weldwerks" (Pop Queen is so good) "Bottle Logic" and the list of breweries just keeps going. And I also load up on the West Central Florida section known as Tampa Bay where they have oodles of good beer and breweries like Woven Water, Magnanimous, Angry Chair, Green Bench, every one of these places has a signature Hazy IPA or Stout

I move a lot of beer out of there because people ask me what's good so I feel obligated to be truthful
I started breaking up these expensive 4-packs into singles, that started to move the numbers up.
So not only do we have more variety of crafts then almost any place I know in Florida, we allow you to make your own 4-packs of premium craft beer.
These types of beers I'm discussing range from about $20 for a 4-pack up to $45(4 CANS of BEER) for some of these brands
It's outrageous but this is Palm Beach/Jupiter, people don't give a ****.

I also have expanded the under $15 range 4-packs from local breweries where I can get them cheaper and for the folks who might be price sensitive
All the crafts beer is in the pretty display cases but we also have a walk in that runs all the way behind these doors and we put all the domestic in there like Mich Ultra and yes we move a lot of it thru the drive thru...

What were we talking about? Oh yeah I drink too many of the new ones that come thru the store so I can discuss them with our customers that frequent.
Mrs has asked me if there is an exit plan, there's not a lot of money in beer as I have discovered, the margins stink.
I wanted to open a 2nd store originally but that's not going to happen so I likely will sell my shares back and move on.

I was drinking before I got involved so it's not just the store but it's definitely not helping me have a sober January or February thus far.

Used to be every day I'd have 2 or 3 beers, with more on the weekend. Have been slowly cutting back. Now limiting to Fri/Sat and weeknights involving a live sporting event or concert. Nights that I go to the gym are pretty easy, I'm so tired and don't really have an appetite for one. It's the other nights that at first were difficult but are getting easier. I don't say they were difficult like I have alcoholic cravings, but rather it just seemed so routine for so long.
Sundays are hard, especially if I'm grilling or making a big dinner. Will still have 1 or 2 but nothing after dinner.

I've been a little nervous that I am overdoing it with alcohol lately, but nothing other than the frequency is causing me concern. I'm almost never even "tipsy" and never really drunk.

Definitely been 14+ for the last couple of months with almost exclusively beer (started around the holidays and kept it up all January). As recently as last Summer I went alcohol free for like 2 months, so I'm not afraid I can't stop, I just don't really "need" or want to. I exercise about 4x a week and eat fairly healthy. I also consume a lot less soda than I used to and drink mostly water or black coffee at work.

But I go through at least 2 six packs a week and typically throw in a little more than that. I think I had 10-12 drinks over this weekend alone as I was home working in the yard and then had a birthday party with family over and had a couple of beers last night. I've always really enjoyed the taste of beer and since Yuengling made the move into Missouri I've had 2-3 of my favorites on rotation. I crave a beer almost every night and typically have a couple. My last doctor visit was probably 2 years ago now (he retired and just haven't gotten a new one) so not sure if I'm doing any damage to my health or not.

This is probably the most I've ever consistently had to drink in my life which is maybe why I'm a little concerned. Just not finding much motivation to tone it down yet. It is probably the main reason I'm just in OK shape and not great shape physically, so that will probably get me to back off as I would like to cut out some of my mid-section by the time Summer hits.

Used to be every day I'd have 2 or 3 beers, with more on the weekend. Have been slowly cutting back. Now limiting to Fri/Sat and weeknights involving a live sporting event or concert. Nights that I go to the gym are pretty easy, I'm so tired and don't really have an appetite for one. It's the other nights that at first were difficult but are getting easier. I don't say they were difficult like I have alcoholic cravings, but rather it just seemed so routine for so long.
Sundays are hard, especially if I'm grilling or making a big dinner. Will still have 1 or 2 but nothing after dinner.
I'm the same way with not really drinking on days I go to the gym. Seems to defeat the purpose and also there's that "health halo" thing that is definitely real for me ("it's okay, I had Subway for lunch"). Fridays are the only exception.

Now, I also go to the gym largely so I can drink beer and eat restaurants if I want to on the weekends and still have some relative healthiness.

Side note, I realized as I typed that, it's probably been at least ten years since I've set foot in a Subway.

I feel like this thread is really just part of a new FBG advertising partnership with Oura,
Jokes aside, I have heard a lot of similar observations from people that have these Oura rings

About noticing how their feedback results are different after drinking?
Yes. Particularly the sleep aspect. Even after just one beer or glass of wine.
I see similar items wearing my Garmin at night. With nighttime alcohol the resting HR is 5-8bpm higher. Looking at sleep, it is less deep sleep.

On Friday night and Saturday night, if we go out to a restaurant (which is almost always), I will have 3 drinks. 4 is pushing it, and 2 I kinda feel cheated.

When we get home, it's good if I have zero drinks, but occasionally I will have one or two more. At that point, I am drunk.

I am certainly an alcoholic, but that's more because of how I'm wired, not necessarily defined by my actual alcohol consumption.

On nights when I don't drink, which is 5 out of 7 nights, I always, without exception, feel better in the morning. Better sleep, better upon waking.

I make a lot of rules around when I can't drink. Days of the week, and hours of the day. I won't drink before 6pm or after 11pm, for example. Sunday through Thursday are also off limits.

My wife doesn't drink, at all. I have a young teen daughter, and we're often times hosting sleepovers and driving the kids around to do things. I won't drive if I've had a drink.

It's a struggle to get the balance right. Deep down, I know the answer is to not drink. But I enjoy it, so I do the rules.

Some weeks, 7-13, others I'd be in the 14+ category and the wife is right there with me. We usually take a couple of days off during the week, not because we want to but because we just feel like we should. I love to cook and it's tough to make a nice meal, especially an Italian one, and not have a bottle of wine with it. We also have like 11 breweries within walking distance and we enjoy going for a walk and ending up at one of them for a beer or two. Usually 2 bottles of wine on weekends. Never been into hard liquor though, just beer and wine.
We know it's probably not good for our health and should cut back but we enjoy it and have fun. Some day that'll probably have to end but until then...

I voted 7-13 but it really kinda depends on the time of year. During football season I typically go to my local watering hole to watch MNF and I'll have a few there.

And Tuesday is my "at home happy hour" day, as it's a (probably bad) habit I picked up during the COVID years. I'll have a few while watching TV/relaxing/screwin' around on my phone.

And then I sometimes go out on a weekend night. Not always.

That said.... with football season over I won't drink on Monday nights and the weekend trips to bars/restaurants is also cut down. I also get into a pretty nifty workout/walking regiment that keeps me busy. I'll still do my Tuesday solo happy hours but from January-September things get cut down quite a bit.

Work travel is a killer. Normal life I’m probably 4-5 per week. Work travel week is probably 8-10

I voted 7-13 but it really kinda depends on the time of year. During football season I typically go to my local watering hole to watch MNF and I'll have a few there.

And Tuesday is my "at home happy hour" day, as it's a (probably bad) habit I picked up during the COVID years. I'll have a few while watching TV/relaxing/screwin' around on my phone.

And then I sometimes go out on a weekend night. Not always.

That said.... with football season over I won't drink on Monday nights and the weekend trips to bars/restaurants is also cut down. I also get into a pretty nifty workout/walking regiment that keeps me busy. I'll still do my Tuesday solo happy hours but from January-September things get cut down quite a bit.

Ooooh yeah there's something I didn't factor in. If I'm on a work trip then you can add another 4+ to my weekly intake.

7-13

I'm at a solid 2-a-day from Thurs - Sun, and basically never drink Mon - Wed. But the beer component (probably half of the consumption) are craft beers, and I'll sometimes make a double or 1.5x cocktail if I'm feeling it, so by the actual description of what is "a drink", it's more than the actual ~8 drinks. I do occasionally exceed those numbers if I'm on vacation, which I probably shouldn't.

It's significantly less than I was drinking maybe 5-10 years ago, and I've been slowly kinda ramping down over the years. Every year that weekly average probably decreases by like 1/week.

I'm at a solid 2-a-day from Thurs - Sun,
Maybe this is better for another conversation (and no offense here) but I have never understood this. If I'm drinking alcohol it's almost always in a social situation where I'm out for multiple hours, which means I'm having at least 4+. If I drink 2 beers or 2 mixed drinks, all it does is makes me sleepy. Plus, and maybe this is an issue, but if I'm drinking, it's to get me a little buzz on top of the social aspect.

Maybe this is better for another conversation (and no offense here) but I have never understood this. If I'm drinking alcohol it's almost always in a social situation where I'm out for multiple hours, which means I'm having at least 4+. If I drink 2 beers or 2 mixed drinks, all it does is makes me sleepy. Plus, and maybe this is an issue, but if I'm drinking, it's to get me a little buzz on top of the social aspect.
On Thursdays, a friend of mine usually comes over. We'll watch football, basketball, whatever, have usually 2 drinks as we hang out. Saturdays I'm usually doing something with the girlfriend - go out to dinner, check out a brewery, something along those lines, and I cut myself off at 2. Friday/Sunday are hit or miss, but I'll usually crack a beer after the workday or while I'm cooking dinner, and maybe a nitecap while I'm relaxing, playing Xbox or whatever. Sometimes on Sundays I'll smoke a cigar with a cocktail on the side.

On Thursdays, a friend of mine usually comes over. We'll watch football, basketball, whatever, have usually 2 drinks as we hang out. Saturdays I'm usually doing something with the girlfriend - go out to dinner, check out a brewery, something along those lines, and I cut myself off at 2. Friday/Sunday are hit or miss, but I'll usually crack a beer after the workday or while I'm cooking dinner, and maybe a nitecap while I'm relaxing, playing Xbox or whatever. Sometimes on Sundays I'll smoke a cigar with a cocktail on the side.
Understandable. I guess everyone's a little different. I guess for me I just think I'd avoid drinking altogether if it's just a couple of drinks. Wouldn't give me any kind of buzz at all. Perhaps I could be classified as a binge drinker since if I'm gonna do it... it's gonna be all out. I make sure to keep hydrated during the time I'm out (with water) and drink a Gatorade and pop a couple ibuprofen before going to bed so I'm not groggy the next day. I'm 50 and can't handle it like I could in my 20's/30's. :lol:

I have not had a drink since college (33 years). I simply don't like the taste of alcohol, no other reason.
I don't like the taste either so I'm fine being the DD. On occasion, I'll have a cider or a sip of champagne or a beer; maybe 5 times a year or fewer.

Went with 3-6 drinks and they’d all be on the golf course but for the occasional one glass of wine on a Friday night with my wife.

With THC now legal I rarely touch alcohol but for when I’m golfing. It’s not healthy, but it’s generally the one place I can turn work/life and, as sad as this sounds, if I drink something while golfing I can justify putting work entirely away.

Users who are viewing this thread