What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

The goal review in the Villa-Everton game was ridiculous in how long it took. It had two reasons IMO it should have been ruled out and it took way too long. They have got to figure out how to improve this process.

Man U go up early on Spurs.

Richarlison answers with another header.

ManU having problems with Spurs pace.

United are fairly slow all over the pitch. Varane and Evans are a really slow CB pairing and the midfield of Mainoo, Fernandez and Eriksen- that spine of your defense are all slow.

Spurs get a point in Manchester.

MU was catching the Spurs in a good spot, sooo many attackers out for Spurs. They didn't act like it. Kinda lifeless all game.

Spurs get a point in Manchester.

MU was catching the Spurs in a good spot, sooo many attackers out for Spurs. They didn't act like it. Kinda lifeless all game.
I saw the last 30 minutes. Both teams looked really good until the final third. Entertaining to watch.

Hard to see Xavi surviving this one. Insisting on playing a very high line when you don’t have the defense for it or Ter Stegen to help sweep.

I watched a little bit of that Manchester United game yesterday, and couldn't help but think that if their best athletes could play soccer, they would be really good.

United are fairly slow all over the pitch. Varane and Evans are a really slow CB pairing and the midfield of Mainoo, Fernandez and Eriksen- that spine of your defense are all slow.
Not sure I would call Bruno or Mainoo slow. Erikson I would for sure. Him as a box to box looks to be an issue.
And Varane/Evans are not fast but do work the angles and position well. Martinez back on the pitch will help. He and Varane are a good pair, I imagine Evans will be solid with Martinez too.

Good to see Rashford and Hojlund score. Sadly the two best chances to win the match fell to McT. To bad we was just a guy that had a good few games and isn't really a goal scorer.

Not sure I would call Bruno or Mainoo slow. Erikson I would for sure. Him as a box to box looks to be an issue.
And Varane/Evans are not fast but do work the angles and position well. Martinez back on the pitch will help. He and Varane are a good pair, I imagine Evans will be solid with Martinez too.

Good to see Rashford and Hojlund score. Sadly the two best chances to win the match fell to McT. To bad we was just a guy that had a good few games and isn't really a goal scorer.
Listening to some soccer talk this morning and it made me think of this. They were discussing the disconnect between the attack and defense at United and stated that Varane had the pace to recover in the back but not the technical skill to play out of the back.

Just shows how everyone sees the game a bit different. I would not call Varane fast and he is skillful enough to play out of the back. They saw it the other way around.

I should have said "not fast" - there's not speed with any of those guys. Mainoo I've not seen enough but he seems to not be fast. I love him btw, early, early days but he reminds me of a poor man's Kante. He has that style of game - not saying he's anywhere close.

I should have said "not fast" - there's not speed with any of those guys. Mainoo I've not seen enough but he seems to not be fast. I love him btw, early, early days but he reminds me of a poor man's Kante. He has that style of game - not saying he's anywhere close.

Yeah for sure no one is running with Mbappe and outside Rashford, Holjlund and Garnacho there is no one I would call fast. But there are many that move quick enough. And a couple that are flat our slow.

Crystal Palace away fans unfurling some banners today calling out the team’s lack of ambition and progress, and calling for the removal of Parrish.

Graham Potter was in the stadium today. Whether or not he was there in preparation to take over, Hodgson has to be gone after today. Totally lifeless.

Crystal Palace away fans unfurling some banners today calling out the team’s lack of ambition and progress, and calling for the removal of Parrish.

Graham Potter was in the stadium today. Whether or not he was there in preparation to take over, Hodgson has to be gone after today. Totally lifeless.
For sure on Hodgson. But I'm not sure it's reasonable to say Palace lack ambition.

Palace is currently in its longest stretch in the top flight at 11 seasons. Prior to this run, they had spent 4 total seasons in the EPL which were all four 1 and dones. They've been runner-up twice in the FA cup (one of which was a few seasons ago). They've never won either the FA or Caribou Cup.

I hate the permanent pecking order of world footy but this seems like a case of unreasonable expectations. It seems more than anything, they have been outkicking their coverage over the last 10 years.

It's ok, they play us in 10 days so they'll be back on track soon

Fantastic game for me today, seven goal thriller between Sandbach United and Droylsden which went 0-1, 2-1, 2-3 then 4-3. Bit fortunate as that was well down my choices of games to go to, but weather and transport forced matters to my benefit.

Upcoming games I have:

Tomorrow - Sheffield United v West Ham (PL)
23/1 - New Mills v Stockport Georgians (North West Counties Division 1 South)
27/1 - Sheffield United v Brighton (FAC4)
30/1 - Crystal Palace v Sheffield United (PL)
3/2 - Sheffield United v Aston Villa (PL)
10/2 - Whitby Town v FC United of Manchester (Northern Premier League)

Howard Webb can STFU with the after the fact apologies, but there's another one inbound. At least if the standard Liverpool have been judged by all year are applied. The Jones red was upheld on review too when it was appealed. At least this one didn't cost them any points.

Ipswich v. Leicester today - top 2 in the Championship. Ipswich trying to fend off Southampton and Leeds for the 2nd automatic promotion spot. I still think playoffs are likely in the cards for Ipswich, but this game will conclude the gauntlet part of their schedule.

what a disaster ending for Ghana who are now knocked out. Ghana was up 2-0 in injury time.

Keeper is going to have many sleepless nights wondering why the **** he touched the ball that gave the corner for the tying goal.

Ipswich v. Leicester today - top 2 in the Championship. Ipswich trying to fend off Southampton and Leeds for the 2nd automatic promotion spot. I still think playoffs are likely in the cards for Ipswich, but this game will conclude the gauntlet part of their schedule.
Points shared.

Well that Carabao Cup tie didn't take long. Chelsea 4-0 Middlesbrough at the half. 4-1 aggregate. Brough started by scoring on themselves 16' in and it's been all downhill since.

Last edited:
So the Carabao Cup final is Feb 25 at Wembley. I have tickets to see United v Fulham at Old Trafford on Feb 24. If Fulham had made the finals my trip would have been ruined. So I had to root against Fulham despite it meaning a certain other team makes a cup final. Now I can root for Chelsea to win it all and I get to see United at Old Trafford.

Also seeing Arsenal Women host the United Women at the Emirates on 2/17. Excellent trip!

So the Carabao Cup final is Feb 25 at Wembley. I have tickets to see United v Fulham at Old Trafford on Feb 24. If Fulham had made the finals my trip would have been ruined. So I had to root against Fulham despite it meaning a certain other team makes a cup final. Now I can root for Chelsea to win it all and I get to see United at Old Trafford.

Lmk if you want to grab a beer somewhere a bit after the game - I am notionally across in Sheffield that afternoon (we play Sunday) to watch something non league and would be back around Manchester shortly after eight, but as my train tickets were bought in a sale and only cost me two quid I can quite easily just bin them off if needed

Lmk if you want to grab a beer somewhere a bit after the game - I am notionally across in Sheffield that afternoon (we play Sunday) to watch something non league and would be back around Manchester shortly after eight, but as my train tickets were bought in a sale and only cost me two quid I can quite easily just bin them off if needed
Sounds good. Our tickets include the OT Museum tour after the game so depending on the group's plans after that I could be up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread