What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (1 Viewer)

It's not like the NFC East is a super strong division is it?

NFC south is obviously the worst right now but East isn't exactly scary. Eagles look a mess, Giants look a mess, Washington look a mess and miles away from being competitive. Eagles and Commanders the two worst teams in the league to finish the season out.

It's not enough of a difference to matter much in my opinion.

If he goes to a good team like Dallas, and gets the record but doesn't bring them to the Super Bowl, it's gonna feel empty to me. It's hard to go to a Super Bowl, aside from injuries which are a big part of success in the NFL.

I think a worse scenario is if he goes to Atlanta with control over personnel, doesn't figure out the QB position, doesn't improve the roster and has a few mediocre or subpar years and is looked at as just hanging around to get the record...that is the look he doesn't want (on the flipside if he does really well it is a great look obviously)...he is not the HC he was about 5 years ago but he can still coach...the personnel-side is another story...if an Owner gives him control over that side of things it is not going to end well regardless of where he goes.

Last edited:
Not much chatter on Bill and Philly.

You could argue the QB/OLine/Offensive weapons better vs. Dallas here. Also, Dak up for a new contract.

Northeast team. Weather.

That said, those fans will turn on Bill in a heartbeat. Dallas fans are going to give Bill way more slack.

Not much chatter on Bill and Philly.

You could argue the QB/OLine/Offensive weapons better vs. Dallas here. Also, Dak up for a new contract.

Northeast team. Weather.

That said, those fans will turn on Bill in a heartbeat. Dallas fans are going to give Bill way more slack.
Yeah they throw snowballs at Santa

BB takes that Dallas job, he must know what is going to happen at QB.

Because Dak, if he wants to, can play this year with a 59 mill cap number, and leave next year without being franchised (it's in the contract).

Looks like Dallas is bringing back McCarthy so now the real fun begins...I do find it interesting that Atlanta brought in Harbaugh for an interview after BB...I would think that that means he is not a lock there...this is going to be fascinating to watch.

If Dallas is interested it’s gotta be the best spot, especially to overtake Shula.

Dallas is a MUCH more attractive spot for my list of what a coach looks for.
I don't know about that, I kind of view Atlanta as really attractive.

Big draw is the competition. That division is filled with weak/unproven head coaches and QB's.

The roster has some talent would not take much of a QB upgrade to have them as division favorites, maybe even with no Qb upgrade. And Blank seems like a good owner, willing to give you resources and stay in his lane.

Now, I would have to say from a pure personality angle nothing about Bill fits Atlanta but I don't think he cares a lot about that but he's always struck me as someone who if all things were equal would remain on or near the East Coast but not see those openings now.
Washington would fit the East Coast requirement but think they came out and said weren't interested
Yes you are right on Wasington and I just dismissed them because they said they were not interested and I can definitely understand what the decison makers in that organization are thinking and don't expect that to change.

Maybe he'll end up sitting out a year and see how things go? At one point I thought McDermot's job might be shaky but he rallied. Maybe next year though if they come up short this playoffs and next year? Daboll may have won coach of the year last year but Vrabel won it the year prior , life comes at you fast and that Giants situation looks like it could be unraveleing. I kind of feel like those would be BB's version of dream jobs right now if they were open. Feel like Jags job would be of high interest to him as well and that was the one under the radar team I thought might make a move now but that seems to be off. But like the other two, maybe next year.

At this point, unless an opening comes up it sure looks like it's Atlanta or bust to me. McDaniels blew the Raiders for him, Washington is out, Chargers are not showing interest, Schineder just got a power upgrade in SEA he's sure not looking to give it up and I just don't think Tenn or Car can pay him enough to take those jobs even if they wanted him, which I've seen no indication they do.

So to me unless another job opens up I think he's taking the Atlanta job or he'll sit the year out.

If Dallas is interested it’s gotta be the best spot, especially to overtake Shula.

Dallas is a MUCH more attractive spot for my list of what a coach looks for.
I don't know about that, I kind of view Atlanta as really attractive.

Big draw is the competition. That division is filled with weak/unproven head coaches and QB's.

The roster has some talent would not take much of a QB upgrade to have them as division favorites, maybe even with no Qb upgrade. And Blank seems like a good owner, willing to give you resources and stay in his lane.

Now, I would have to say from a pure personality angle nothing about Bill fits Atlanta but I don't think he cares a lot about that but he's always struck me as someone who if all things were equal would remain on or near the East Coast but not see those openings now.
Washington would fit the East Coast requirement but think they came out and said weren't interested
Yes you are right on Wasington and I just dismissed them because they said they were not interested and I can definitely understand what the decison makers in that organization are thinking and don't expect that to change.

Maybe he'll end up sitting out a year and see how things go? At one point I thought McDermot's job might be shaky but he rallied. Maybe next year though if they come up short this playoffs and next year? Daboll may have won coach of the year last year but Vrabel won it the year prior , life comes at you fast and that Giants situation looks like it could be unraveleing. I kind of feel like those would be BB's version of dream jobs right now if they were open. Feel like Jags job would be of high interest to him as well and that was the one under the radar team I thought might make a move now but that seems to be off. But like the other two, maybe next year.

At this point, unless an opening comes up it sure looks like it's Atlanta or bust to me. McDaniels blew the Raiders for him, Washington is out, Chargers are not showing interest, Schineder just got a power upgrade in SEA he's sure not looking to give it up and I just don't think Tenn or Car can pay him enough to take those jobs even if they wanted him, which I've seen no indication they do.

So to me unless another job opens up I think he's taking the Atlanta job or he'll sit the year out.

The issue with sitting out a year is he will be 72 in April...I know it is BB but would a team be in a rush to hire a soon-to-be 73 year-old HC next year...also, if the Shula record is important to him does he want to take a year off at his age...I do wish he would retire...that record would be nice but his legacy is cemented...I would love to see him do TV...no one knows the game like him and I think we'd see a side of him that would really surprise many.

I can promise everyone Washington has zero interest and that’s been known around here since Florio first started spouting it months ago. There are some national guys that have pushed that angle too but every beat writer, especially the really plugged in ones like Keim and Standig, immediately shoot it down. And Keim is ultra careful on making definitive statements about anything ever. If he does, it’s because he’s been told directly by the people who matter the most. He’s reiterated it over and over. No Belichick. He just doesn’t fit what our direction and Peters is going to be THE man around the building, no matter how much he talks about collaborating with the next HC is. He’s not going to hire someone the usurps his power. No BB, no Harbaugh, no Vrabel. It sure looks like Ben Johnson or Slowik and everyone seems to think the heavy favorite is Johnson.

Wilbon keeps saying on PTI that Belichick is interviewing the Falcons and not the other way around, in the most dismissive way possible. And every time he does, I just want to shake his bald head and ask what year he thinks it is and what other options he has. I like Wilbon and watch PTI just about every day but man, he can really get over his skies sometimes.

NFC south is obviously the worst right now but East isn't exactly scary. Eagles look a mess, Giants look a mess, Washington look a mess and miles away from being competitive. Eagles and Commanders the two worst teams in the league to finish the season out.

Gonna say you are wrong about Washington. There is talent on that roster, there has just been horrible leadership/coaching. Both of those deficiencies are being addressed this offseason. Add in the bounty of early draft picks and salary cap allowance, and things can change quickly.

Here’s a twist for you. Reid retires after this season and Belichick coaches the Chiefs. Clark Hunt would absolutely sign up for that.

Gonna say you are wrong about Washington. There is talent on that roster, there has just been horrible leadership/coaching. Both of those deficiencies are being addressed this offseason. Add in the bounty of early draft picks and salary cap allowance, and things can change quickly.

Yeah that’s a take that’s going to age very, very poorly.

Unless you live here, you cannot understand the toxicity that Snyder had in the region. Harris didn’t have time to do much of anything this year other than watch because of when the sale went through. This is now his first actual year and so far he has been the complete reverse opposite:

He promised Rivera he could have the season, then lived up to it despite it being obvious to the world the team quit on him in October. He kept the promise and that means something to the next guy. He’s building a reputation for being a bright and engaging guy in league circles. He’s made appropriate media appearances and answer a few questions, coming off classy and real while really not giving anything away. He said he would conduct a rapid and thorough search for GM. He hired two very important consultants with connections to help, Bob Myers of the Golden State Warriors (who had connections to Adam Peters going wayyy back) and Rick Spielman who is the brother of Chris Spielman with the Lions (think Ben Johnson). This must have all been in place for a month or two at least and nothing leaked. Then he closed Peters, widely regarded as the best available GM.

We haven’t had this structure since Gibbs first stint, despite it being obvious to everyone that it’s how an org should operate.

It sure seems like Ben Johnson will soon be hired, the hottest up and comer on the market. In the past, those phone calls wouldn’t have even been returned.

The 2nd overall pick is going to be spent on a highly touted QB, most likely Maye.

They will probably have $90M+ in cap space after a cut or two, plus 2 early 2nds and 2 3rds. You can fix a lot of the oline and defensive back 7 with that and the skill positions on offense are already pretty solid.

Between new Ownership, GM, HC, and QB, I mean that’s the brain AND backbone of a franchise and it just couldn’t be any different. There is a reason the top talent is eager to take the jobs. Washington is going to be one of the best handful of organizations in very short order and when that happens, results follow. We’ve been DOA for 30 years and now it’s the complete opposite.

And for all of those reasons, we have no interest in Belichick.

BB takes that Dallas job, he must know what is going to happen at QB.

Because Dak, if he wants to, can play this year with a 59 mill cap number, and leave next year without being franchised (it's in the contract).
McCarthy returning to Dallas, so that shoots down BB to the Cowboys.

Looking increasingly like it's Atlanta or he waits it out for 2025. Unless the Chargers are keeping their interest under wraps a bit.

The issue with sitting out a year is he will be 72 in April...I know it is BB but would a team be in a rush to hire a soon-to-be 73 year-old HC next year...also, if the Shula record is important to him does he want to take a year off at his age...I do wish he would retire...that record would be nice but his legacy is cemented...I would love to see him do TV...no one knows the game like him and I think we'd see a side of him that would really surprise many.

Agreed. He's 71. I don't think he's wasting any time.

I love that Dallas is keeping McCarthy. So there goes the Cowboys talk. I still contend Belichick and Jones would have worked well for a couple of years. Just like it did with Jimmy Johnson/Parcells/Switzer.

I don't have many regrets in life, but one I do have was from 2010. I had a friend that was well connected in the music business that knew I was a Patriots fan, and he asked if I wanted to go with him to see Bon Jovi in Gillette Stadium. I wanted to go, but my wife's sister was getting married that day and I couldn't go. He changed his position from wanting me to go to demanding that I go. I reiterated that I was a dead man walking if I went to the concert. Most of us knew the wedding would never last, and they didn't even make it a year and a half. Sad . . . but predictable.

So, what did I miss? Thanks for asking. Here's what was behind Door #2, the one I didn't pick (the details I didn't learn about until afterwards). My friend had set me up to join him and his posse for an experience of a lifetime. Dinner with him, his record company execs . . . and Jon Bon Jovi, Bill Belichick, and the Krafts. Followed by second row center seats to the concert seated next to BB . . . followed by passes to the after party. But no, I had to go to a wedding!

Belichick is having a second interview with Atlanta. He only met with Blank the first time so Blank handled this differently than most.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Fontenot got Arthur the guys he wanted so (vaguely, to me) that does seem like the perfect fit for having Belichick lose the GM reins but still feel super involved with adding players

Belichick is having a second interview with Atlanta. He only met with Blank the first time so Blank handled this differently than most.

As I mentioned in the other thread, Fontenot got Arthur the guys he wanted so (vaguely, to me) that does seem like the perfect fit for having Belichick lose the GM reins but still feel super involved with adding players

With Dallas off the board, I wonder if Bill sits out if ATL gives Harbaugh the job.

Can't see Bill being desperate here and taking leftovers.

Years ago, Belichick raved about Arthur and his offense. Myself very much and the national media noticed and the nobody OC in TEN really got a lot of press after he did.
Belichick then added two TEs (including Jonnu, Arthur's TE) and appeared to instill some of Arthur's offense. It didn't work well for him and it didn't work well for Arthur in Atlanta.

How I see it- The root of the two TEs being weapons is stellar tackle play that Conklin and Lewan had for the Titans. Those two afforded luxuries to the offensive game plan to utilize the TEs. They both missed this point and we're stuck with needing a TE to help block but yet he's supposed to run a route and it just got all messed up from there.

The other thing- ol Titans OC Heimerdinger was fantastic at setting up and exploiting matchups as was younger Belichick. When Arthur thrived and Belichick praised a lot of people were mentioning Arthur is using Bill's or Dinger's thinking.

Arthur loved a big WR group and getting Henry to the sidelines. He'd even put Jonnu in the slot to make this happen. Good luck to the smaller DBs stopping that. Belichick would comment on this, praise this too.
The Giants would forever be unstoppable with a similar play in preseason using Brandon Jacobs and rarely use it during the season which would be brought up on radio shows then finally they were. Belichick used to coach with Coughlin 100 years ago.

Belichick is friends with Pees and the Falcons were mostly running his defense last year.

Long winded and I know ya don't like me talking Arthur sorry

I'm just trying to point out Belichick has a lot of familiarity with what's already in place. He is a very good fit to adjust and move forward.

Also, I'm not even sure he can't convince his buddy to return and coach the defense

Little more-
Plenty of quotes of Belichick praising Bates.

Troy Anderson was someone Belichick adored predraft with his high intelligence and athleticism and former QB.

Little more-
Plenty of quotes of Belichick praising Bates.

Troy Anderson was someone Belichick adored predraft with his high intelligence and athleticism and former QB.

I would be a little cautious with BB praising anyone…he was well known for turning every team on the Pats schedule into the 85 Bears…does not mean when he talks about a good player like Bates he doesn’t mean it but overall BB will never, ever give another team bulletin board material…he will always take the high road.

I would be a little cautious with BB praising anyone…he was well known for turning every team on the Pats schedule into the 85 Bears…does not mean when he talks about a good player like Bates he doesn’t mean it but overall BB will never, ever give another team bulletin board material…he will always take the high road.

Then there are guys that he loved like Ed Reed. Can't tell me that was avoiding bulletin board material with Ed. They've got him behind the scenes marveling at Reed. Sometimes he means it. And Jonnu Smith was putting his money where his mouth was. Just didn't work out in NE and I sure as **** hope BB doesn't go to Atlanta because I roster Smith again and he was a viable tight end two last year.

Okay, that aside, BB to ATL is interesting.

Then there are guys that he loved like Ed Reed. Can't tell me that was avoiding bulletin board material with Ed. They've got him behind the scenes marveling at Reed. Sometimes he means it. And Jonnu Smith was putting his money where his mouth was. Just didn't work out in NE and I sure as **** hope BB doesn't go to Atlanta because I roster Smith again and he was a viable tight end two last year.

Okay, that aside, BB to ATL is interesting.

100%…you can always tell when he really means it…he talks about Reed as if he is a diety…overall BB is extremely respectful of all players as he knows how difficult it is to play in the NFL and he respects the hell out of anyone who makes the show even if it is for only one game…but when you hear him talk about a Reed, an LT or anyone else he considered a true great it is some of the most fascinating stuff to listen to.

overall BB is extremely respectful of all players as he knows how difficult it to play in the NFL and he respects the hell out of anyone who makes the show even if it is for one game

Yep.

But then, Jonas Gray. One meeting? One meeting? That can't be respecting the hell out of guys.

But that's an old salvo and I digress a bit there. It just will always leave me shaking my head. If you love your guys, can you do that to them?

overall BB is extremely respectful of all players as he knows how difficult it to play in the NFL and he respects the hell out of anyone who makes the show even if it is for one game

Yep.

But then, Jonas Gray. One meeting? One meeting? That can't be respecting the hell out of guys.

But that's an old salvo and I digress a bit there. It just will always leave me shaking my head. If you love your guys, can you do that to them?

No one ever accused BB of loving his players or getting attached to them…a big part of his success was actually being cold and there is a long list of core players/fan favorites he let go in an unemotional way…pretty much got away with most of it until he overplayed his hand with #12.

a big part of his success was actually being cold

Oh yeah, I followed the Pats enough to know that. No love lost. But even the word "respect" I think would encompass things where he wouldn't do what he did to Gray. That sounds like a disrespect of just being human. That's my two cents on that deal.

He might have sent a league-wide, everlasting message, but I think he disrespected Gray's work and his career in one fell swoop.

a big part of his success was actually being cold

Oh yeah, I followed the Pats enough to know that. No love lost. But even the word "respect" I think would encompass things where he wouldn't do what he did to Gray. That sounds like a disrespect of just being human. That's my two cents on that deal.

He might have sent a league-wide, everlasting message, but I think he disrespected Gray's work and his career in one fell swoop.

BB is not a fan of being late for practice.

Yep.

Of all the tweets and well wishes that were posted about BB getting let go, Jonas Gray's was one of the most surprising ones:

"Forever thankful to Coach Belichick for the shot that launched my NFL career and for instilling a winning mindset that made us the best-prepared team every game. His football legacy is unmatched. A heartfelt thanks, Coach, and wishing you success in all that comes next."

LINK

Of all the tweets and well wishes that were posted about BB getting let go, Jonas Gray's was one of the most surprising ones:

"Forever thankful to Coach Belichick for the shot that launched my NFL career and for instilling a winning mindset that made us the best-prepared team every game. His football legacy is unmatched. A heartfelt thanks, Coach, and wishing you success in all that comes next."

Jonas Gray is a much, much bigger man than I. That's what I'll say about that.

I love that Dallas is keeping McCarthy. So there goes the Cowboys talk. I still contend Belichick and Jones would have worked well for a couple of years. Just like it did with Jimmy Johnson/Parcells/Switzer.
Why is this Joe? Feels like they’ve been on the hamster wheel motionless for years.

As a Bijan owner, this would be ...... better??? But also scary, lol.
I’m starting to think of the implications for Bijan/London/Pitts, but who the QB is will probably be even more important.

I’m starting to think of the implications for Bijan/London/Pitts, but who the QB is will probably be even more important.
I would feel pretty good about Pitts, I think.

Perhaps - may also depend on whether he would retain Jonnu, who he had (and overpaid) in NE.

Same and I actually don't think BB would make a major difference on with Bijan or London.

Regarding Bijan he's liked to use a bit of a RBBC since the days of Dillon and with Allgeier that likely does not change.

IMO London was only mildly underused under Arthur, solid target share.

So to me with both Bijan and Drake, as you said, I think who the QB is will be more important.

Now Pitts is more of a wildcard to me and I think it's all on the table if BB takes the job.

Will BB view him as a major weapon or think a TE that is not a great blocker is not worth what he's about to be paid? Could he be his next Hernandez or will Bill want more out of the position, and see if trading him vs picking up his 5th year option is the way to go? If he keeps him I'll be excited for Pitts as I think he'll have a plan.

Poor Jonnu.

Belichick loves “football players.” Meaning, if Pitts can’t block, doesn’t give 100% on every play, do all the little things right, etc, he’ll be in the doghouse sooner than later. Belichick couldn’t care less where or why some other regime drafted Pitts.

Conversely, if Pitts can do everything asked of him, sky is the limit. Based on what we’ve seen, my money is on the former.

Yep.

No one ever accused BB of loving his players or getting attached to them…a big part of his success was actually being cold and there is a long list of core players/fan favorites he let go in an unemotional way…pretty much got away with most of it until he overplayed his hand with #12.
rubbish. #12 forced JimmyG out of town then ran off of his own volition after the roster was laid bare.

Users who are viewing this thread