What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Matt Stafford, LAR (1 Viewer)

Overrated as a real life qb (not fantasy)?

• Way overrated

Votes: 82 15.0%
  • Slightly overrated

Votes: 153 27.9%
  • Rated just where he should be

Votes: 190 34.7%
  • Slightly underrated

Votes: 95 17.3%
  • Way underrated

Votes: 28 5.1%

• Total voters

Matthew Stafford said Tuesday that he's not retiring after the 2022 season.​

Stafford in a podcast appearance shot down any notion that he would hang it up after the Rams' nightmarish 2022 season concludes. Thirty-five in February, Stafford is done for the rest of the season with a spinal cord contusion he suffered in early December. Stafford is signed with LA through 2026. Before his injury, Stafford was in the midst of one of his worst pro seasons. His touchdown rate and adjusted yards per attempt had fallen off a cliff from 2021 and the Rams' total inability to protect him made Stafford the recipient of constant pressure and big hits in the pocket. Head coach Sean McVay will have to rethink the Rams offense in 2023.
SOURCE: Holden Cantor on Twitter
Dec 20, 2022, 10:25 AM ET

It’s pretty clear to me Staffords not the guy that’s wears the pants at home. He’ll retire if she says so. Glad the lions were able to trade him for Goff and the picks. He’s never been more than an overrated weak bodied gunslinger imo

(RotoWire) Stafford (neck) said Monday that he expects to avoid surgery to address his spinal cord contusion and plans to be a full participant for OTAs in April, Cameron DaSilva of USA Today reports. "I had obviously the thumb a couple years ago, and then elbow stuff that I wasn't able to really participate in a whole lot of stuff when it comes to throwing the football for a long time," Stafford said. "So to be able to do that at a way more regular pace, which is exciting for me as a player, that's what I want to do. I want to be out there, I want to be able to throw and be a part of the team." Analysis: After guiding the Rams to a Super Bowl title in his first season with the team in 2021, Stafford didn't throw in offseason workouts ... (More)

(thehuddle) Los Angeles Rams QB Matthew Stafford said he does not plan to retire this offseason and that head coach Sean McVay's future with the team will not affect his plans. Analysis: Stafford missed most of the season because of a neck injury but plans to be on the field in 2023. He could be a low-end No. 1 or a high-end No. 2 fantasy quarterback next season if he does not suffer any setbacks.

Rams GM Les Snead told reporters "We're going to definitely rely on Matthew [Stafford], he's one of our pillars."

Stafford's offseason blurbs have consisted of him saying he's not retiring and the Rams doubling down by picking up his 2023 option. This statement is just continuing a long line of Rams commitment to Stafford this offseason. We somehow doubt the Rams would not part with Stafford if they were blown away by trade compensation given the spinal cord contusion he suffered in 2022, but it's certainly not seeming like that's a likely scenario. Until we see something concrete otherwise, it's probably safe to pencil him into the 2023 Rams lineup.
SOURCE: Jourdan Rodrigue on Twitter
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM ET

Rams head coach Sean McVay said there will be "no limitations" on Matthew Stafford in 2023.

Stafford, 35, missed half the 2022 season due to a brain injury, raising questions about whether he would retire this offseason. Stafford, who has also struggled with a lingering elbow issue, has denied any retirement considerations and appears set to return as LA's starter in 2023. Before he was put on season-ending IR in 2022, Stafford posted the lowest adjusted yards per attempt and his second lowest touchdown rate of his 14-year NFL career.
SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter
Mar 28, 2023 at 11:26 AM ET

Thoughts for this year?

The elbow injury seemed to affect the part of the year he did play, and then the season ended due to a spinal contusion if I'm not mistaken.

If he looks to be 100% in camp this season, dude could be a serious value. Given the depth of quality/upside options at QB, no one is probably excited about going out there with him as the starter. But in Superflex, he could be a bargain.

Thoughts for this year?

The elbow injury seemed to affect the part of the year he did play, and then the season ended due to a spinal contusion if I'm not mistaken.

If he looks to be 100% in camp this season, dude could be a serious value. Given the depth of quality/upside options at QB, no one is probably excited about going out there with him as the starter. But in Superflex, he could be a bargain.
He was a legit starter the year before. It seems like everything that could go wrong did last year. Obviously he needs Kupp back at 100% and he desperately needs a run game to open up play action. If McVay can reset the offense to 85% of what it once was Stafford should be top 15. Like you said he isn't exciting anyone so he's a nice value to gamble on if a contender needs a QB.

32BeatWriters
“With the season approaching, Matthew Stafford appears to be 100% healthy and “feeling great,” according to the man himself. Most importantly, he’s gotten “a ton of reps” this offseason, so there’s been no lack of work on the field.“Yeah, I feel really good. Still more difficult now than it was 10 years ago to get ready to go, but when I’m out there, I’m feeling great,” Stafford said Wednesday. “Heading into the season, I feel like I’ve gotten a ton of reps which is fun and I’m excited. Football’s a lot of fun when you get to go out there and practice it and work on your craft and feel good and healthy and all that, so it’s been fun.”Those increased reps have seemingly translated to sharp play in practice. It’s one thing to play well against your own team on the practice field, but Stafford has picked apart the Raiders and Broncos defenses in consecutive weeks.”

Matthew Stafford completed 24-of-38 attempts for 334 yards in the Rams’ 30-13, Week 1 win over the Seahawks.

Coming off a drastically down year that was cut short by a neck injury, expectations for Stafford in a game without Cooper Kupp were understandably low. With seven points through four drives, that tepid outlook was beginning to look correct through one half of football. Once Stafford came out of the locker room for the second half, he looked like he had been playing with Puka Nacua and Tutu Atwell for years. He found his rhythm with both young receivers, propelling the duo to 119 yards a piece. The Rams scored at least three points on each of their five drives in the second half. Though things will be noticeably more difficult against the 49ers next week, Stafford proved he doesn’t need Kupp to keep the offense on schedule. He will rank as a QB2 with upside in Week 2.

- Rotoworld

Not a word on this guy in weeks on this forum.

I keep thinking, Kupp back with how awesome Puka is... Stafford is going to be putting up serious points. It's not like he hasn't before.

Any word on his injury? I think it's pretty minor but I haven't looked into it in depth. Assuming it's not, shouldn't we be considering Stafford a top 10 QB RoS?

Last edited:
The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue reports the Rams are “evaluating a range of potential scenarios” for Matthew Stafford’s thumb injury.

According to Rodrigue, Stafford will undergo further testing plus an assessment on how well he is gripping the ball throughout the week. Stafford attempted to play through the injury for a bit but was ultimately pulled late in the third quarter for backup Brett Rypien, who closed out the game. The Rams have a Week 9 matchup against the Packers on tap before heading into a Week 10 bye. It wouldn’t be surprising to see the team play it cautious and give him multiple weeks to recover before facing the Seahawks in Week 11.

Bueller… Bueller… class… anyone… anyone?

This feels oddly shrouded in secrecy.

Maybe my feelings were burned by the Kyren Williams situation that seemed minor and all the sudden he was on IR.

UCL sprain and day to day as of Monday, but not a peep since.

QB Dresser Winn signed to practice squad today.

Just feels odd we haven’t had much with regard to updates on Staffords status.

Bueller… Bueller… class… anyone… anyone?

This feels oddly shrouded in secrecy.

Maybe my feelings were burned by the Kyren Williams situation that seemed minor and all the sudden he was on IR.

UCL sprain and day to day as of Monday, but not a peep since.

QB Dresser Winn signed to practice squad today.

Just feels odd we haven’t had much with regard to updates on Staffords status.

The elevation tells you what you need, would guess he’s out this week, then a bye and hopefullly he feels better by then

I do think there’s truly not much to know until he sees how he feels, as it seemed structurally he dodged a bullet

He's day to day and McVay says he'll give him until game time to decide on whether he'll play this week. He's not going on IR, though, which is big.

Read somewhere, sorry I can't recall where, that Stafford played through this exact injury without missing any time a few years back when he was in Detroit. Obviously, he's older now, but that does provide at least a glimmer of hope he plays through it this week.

Read somewhere, sorry I can't recall where, that Stafford played through this exact injury without missing any time a few years back when he was in Detroit. Obviously, he's older now, but that does provide at least a glimmer of hope he plays through it this week.
I'd give his chances of playing at 10%.

Let's see what Brett can do.

reading the tea leaves prob out this week, then bye week after

As a Kupp owner, let's not.

Older, smarter and richer, odds are his wife won`t let him play this week.

He stinks

Wish Bennett was able to go, that would have been interesting

Well i had hoped he was going to be top 10 ROS, but this week I grabbed Carr.

Dealing struggling Joe Burrow and assuming Kupp coming back to make Stafford my must start QB1 is really starting to prove I was wrong...even before this injury he did not have a great fantasy day. I'm unsure how it turns around. Are the Rams just mediocre or below average this year?

I saw many TD near miss receptions at goal line I think he was just super unlucky and now injured. Kyler Murray is now my best hope.
Not a word on this guy in weeks on this forum.

I keep thinking, Kupp back with how awesome Puka is... Stafford is going to be putting up serious points. It's not like he hasn't before.

Any word on his injury? I think it's pretty minor but I haven't looked into it in depth. Assuming it's not, shouldn't we be considering Stafford a top 10 QB RoS?

I’m confused by the narrative surrounding Stafford this season. He’s had 8 TDs/7 INTs in 8 weeks & has more 2 INT games than he does 2 TD games.

Lots of talk how he’s still a top QB, especially earlier in the season. Puka might be to blame for that with his insane start. Maybe Stafford got tied to Puka.

Stafford seems to be good for his WR’s FF value, but he’s been pretty bad. Not sure what to think going forward.

I’m confused by the narrative surrounding Stafford this season. He’s had 8 TDs/7 INTs in 8 weeks & has more 2 INT games than he does 2 TD games.

Lots of talk how he’s still a top QB, especially earlier in the season. Puka might be to blame for that with his insane start. Maybe Stafford got tied to Puka.

Stafford seems to be good for his WR’s FF value, but he’s been pretty bad. Not sure what to think going forward.
Stafford has been playing really well NFL wise, but they were constantly getting inside the 5 and it became Kyren Williams time. He's been BY FAR the most unlucky QB in the league fantasy wise. He's basically been Tua in a worse offense.

Conversely the luckiest QB in the league this season, has been either Baker Mayfield, or up until the last 2 weeks Brock Purdy.

Stafford has been playing really well NFL wise, but they were constantly getting inside the 5 and it became Kyren Williams time. He's been BY FAR the most unlucky QB in the league fantasy wise. He's basically been Tua in a worse offense.

Conversely the luckiest QB in the league this season, has been either Baker Mayfield, or up until the last 2 weeks Brock Purdy.
Stafford might be playing a little better than his stats portray, but an 8/7 TD/INT ratio is bad considering how many FGs they’ve attempted. That’s not on Kyren.

The Rams aren’t getting it done on the opponents’ side of the field & that’s mostly on Stafford. Their schedule eases up a bit so maybe he can turn it around, but Stafford hasn’t been the same since ‘21. He had a 10/8 TD/INT ratio in 9 weeks with only 1 300-yard game last season before getting injured.

It’s been a huge dropoff the last couple years. Father Time could very well be catching up.

Last edited:

Stafford might be playing a little better than his stats portray, but an 8/7 TD/INT ratio is bad considering how many FGs they’ve attempted. That’s not on Kyren.

The Rams aren’t getting it done on the opponents’ side of the field & that’s mostly on Stafford. Their schedule eases up a bit so maybe he can turn it around, but Stafford hasn’t been the same since ‘21. He had a 10/8 TD/INT ratio in 9 weeks with only 1 300-yard game last season before getting injured.

It’s been a huge dropoff the last couple years. Father Time could very well be catching up.
To be fair, 2021 was the best season of Stafford's career. Its never been reasonable to expect that to be repeated.

To be fair, 2021 was the best season of Stafford's career. Its never been reasonable to expect that to be repeated.
2011 wasn't so bad

Not seen at practice today. Which is expected by all of us. But typical Mccvay coach speak and writers leaving the window open.

I've never understood the TD/Int ratio stat. Are interceptions only on potential TD passes? Why not completion to Int, or Yds/Int? You can throw 8 straight completions down to the one and QB sneak it in for a TD and your ratio stays the same or a RB runs 80 yards down to the one and the QB throws a shuffle pass and his TD/Int goes up, useless IMO.

Not seen at practice today. Which is expected by all of us. But typical Mccvay coach speak and writers leaving the window open.

@FBInjuryDoc
·
8h

Matthew Stafford didn't practice again for the 2nd day in a row

Since 2018, 12 QBs have followed that practice pattern due to a thumb injury and only 1 ended up playing

the problem is that 1 was Stafford in 2020

lol why do i even bother?

@FBInjuryDoc
·
8h

Since 2018, 12 QBs have followed that practice pattern due to a thumb injury and only 1 ended up playing

Because you want to inform us of the facts perhaps?

Appreciate it Sir.

@FBInjuryDoc
·
8h

guy is a tough sob

As tough as he is, will he even be effective if he does go??
This is where the league needs a QB who is ambidextrous. Shocked we haven't seen any phenom yet. That said, a bad thumb Stafford trying to give it a go is likely better than this Rypien kid.

UDFA rookie Dresser Winn was signed to the practice squad Thursday. If he gets a call up Saturday to the 53-man that’s another clue Stafford’s won’t play.

Reactions: Bri

@FBInjuryDoc
·
8h

I think Stafford is 50-50 to play this week. I think he's more likely than Kyler.

I've never understood the TD/Int ratio stat. Are interceptions only on potential TD passes? Why not completion to Int, or Yds/Int? You can throw 8 straight completions down to the one and QB sneak it in for a TD and your ratio stays the same or a RB runs 80 yards down to the one and the QB throws a shuffle pass and his TD/Int goes up, useless IMO.
You can use straight INTs if you want. TD/INT ratio is a legit metric, IMO, but either way, Stafford has been playing like a JAG the last 2 seasons.

I see people making excuses for him, but he’s been a shadow of himself for whatever reason(s). Stafford’s best attribute the last couple years has been pumping up his WR’s FF value. I think there’s some disconnect between FF & his NFL play.

It definitely has its flaws. In addition to all of what you covered, not all interceptions are created equal. A pick 6 is obviously way worse than a long pass on 4th down that basically doubles as a punt.

It's a really painful injury. You can Google and quickly find stories. It's a bit surprising how much more than when ya hurt other fingers.

No one plays quickly after it. He did (mentioned above) and was the only one to and his thumb was still bothering him the next off-season.

That must have "killed" the day after. Can you imagine gripping a football n throwing hard with a dislocated thumbs, pain killers wear off the next day?

Maybe he's crazy enough to do it again but I doubt it

It's a really painful injury. You can Google and quickly find stories. It's a bit surprising how much more than when ya hurt other fingers.

No one plays quickly after it. He did (mentioned above) and was the only one to and his thumb was still bothering him the next off-season.

That must have "killed" the day after. Can you imagine gripping a football n throwing hard with a dislocated thumbs, pain killers wear off the next day?

Maybe he's crazy enough to do it again but I doubt it
I’ve had this injury. Was doing a keg stand in my 30’s at my brother in laws bachelor party and the fellas holding me up dropped me and my thumb bent back.

My thumb wasn’t right for a year.

Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread