What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

I traded him for the #11 pick during the offseason, got Quentin Johnston with that pick. At draft time seemed like a home run deal. At this point, if he offered him back for Johnston I'd be thinking about it .....

Looking forward to him staying healthy and playing out the rest of the year. We should have a better idea where he's at then.
Lions were excited to get him trading up to do so. They have been doing a good job at identifying talent.
His career has been choppy. In college played behind Wilson and Olave at OSU and was limited had to move to Alabama to become a starter.
His exceptional one year at Alabama is what charms you.

As a pro missed all of training camp and first 10 games of season. Seemed to be playing catchup rest of year and never catching up. Was injured and suspended and missed part of this years training camp and first four games. Choppy. Lack of experience shows.

He is still very young- 22 years old. His hands to date have been less than average is that a long term issue? I think he may be trying too hard and hasn't been relaxed.

So I repeat... looking forward to him staying healthy and playing out the rest of the year. We should have a better idea where he's at then.

I'd bet on him. He needs refinement and may be what we used to call a 3rd year break out WR.

Looking forward to him staying healthy and playing out the rest of the year. We should have a better idea where he's at then.
Lions were excited to get him trading up to do so. They have been doing a good job at identifying talent.
His career has been choppy. In college played behind Wilson and Olave at OSU and was limited had to move to Alabama to become a starter.

As a pro missed all of training camp and first 10 games of season. Seemed to be playing catchup rest of year and never catching up. Was injured and suspended and missed part of this years training camp and first four games. Choppy. Lack of experience shows.

He is still very young- 22 years old. His hands to date have been less than average is that a long term issue? I think he may be trying too hard and hasn't been relaxed.

So I repeat... looking forward to him staying healthy and playing out the rest of the year. We should have a better idea where he's at then.

I'd bet on him. He needs refinement and may be what we used to call a 3rd year break out WR.
Maybe, and hopefully. To your point, he has bad hands, bad awareness....that long TD dropped out of the sky into his gullet.. I personally think he is yet another Detroit WR bust...he doesn't go get the ball and gets lost routinely....that being said I'd love to see a breakout..we could use it.

Jameson Williams has more receiving TDs of 40 or more yards (two) than all other Lions WRs combined (one) since the start of the 2022 season.

WR Jameson Williams has had 106 snaps in his NFL career…
  • BAL - Z. Flowers - 305
  • MIN J. Addison 216
  • SEA J. Smith-Njigba 132
  • LAC - Q. Johnston - 81
R E L A X

Jamel Dean trying to cover a Comet that stops in a 10-6 game - and that TD catch - look where the DB's right hand is

How did he even hang on to that??

Maybe, and hopefully. To your point, he has bad hands, bad awareness....that long TD dropped out of the sky into his gullet.. I personally think he is yet another Detroit WR bust...he doesn't go get the ball and gets lost routinely....that being said I'd love to see a breakout..we could use it.
That long pass was a badly thrown ball - Williams has an easy catch if the ball is thrown to the sideline, away from the defender. Goff threw it to his inside shoulder, forcing Williams to adjust and allowing the defender to get back into the play. Williams made a nice adjustment to get to the ball and made a good catch through contact and held on to the ball.

His speed is elite. His ability to create separation from a defender is elite. His hands to this point haven't been great. And I think he's still learning how to run precise routes, so he's where Goff expects him to be on timing routes. So, he's still got a ways to go, but I think he's going to be really good.

A look back at his scouting reports from last year:

I can see him being a boom-or-bust play for this year given that’s slowly being worked into the offense, but I believe he’s more than just an occasional deep threat receiver. Once he settles in and becomes an every week starter I think he’ll be a superstar. The only question is can he wrestle the WR1 role away from the incumbent Amon-Ra St. Brown, the way Torry Holt eventually did from Isaac Bruce.

I can see him being a boom-or-bust play for this year given that’s slowly being worked into the offense, but I believe he’s more than just an occasional deep threat receiver. Once he settles in and becomes an every week starter I think he’ll be a superstar. The only question is can he wrestle the WR1 role away from the incumbent Amon-Ra St. Brown, the way Torry Holt eventually did from Isaac Bruce.

Torry Holt?

Brother man we're not within a country mile of Torrey Smith yet lol.

It's still early, but so far he sucks. Trade calcs in dynasty rate him as a early to mid-2nd. No way I would pay that and I would sell for an early 2nd all day long.

Torry Holt?

Brother man we're not within a country mile of Torrey Smith yet lol.
Dare to dream my friend. :shades: I’m talking future here, definitely not this year. Also I just puked in my mouth a little seeing Torrey Smith’s name. At least you didn’t mention Lee Evans. Please, please no.

It's still early, but so far he sucks. Trade calcs in dynasty rate him as a early to mid-2nd. No way I would pay that and I would sell for an early 2nd all day long.
Two games and he scores a 48 yd td in the 2nd game is hardly a bust given the few passes thrown his way. In redraft I can see him not being on alit of benches due to all the injuries, but in dynasty he's definitely a must hold. Honestly, I've had him in my dynasty league since last year. So this is a exciting time for me. 😆

Anyone rolling him out with all these byes?
I actually had him in my line-up last week. With injuries (Jefferson) and byes (Pickens), I was pretty thin. Also, being somewhat of an underdog, I played him for his ceiling. He did get the long TD but I lost a close one.

Might put him in the flex this week for similar reasons....

On the one that hit him in the facemask, the defender held his arm down before the ball arrived, which should have been a penalty.

You right

Now do this one - why is he looking inside to begin with? Does he have trouble tracking the ball??

Here’s the Gibbs TD, please stop it at ~ one second. Jamo is checking with the sidejudge, missed the snap. Gibbs has the ball & #9 hasn’t moved.

Burn these tapes, we’re on to the Raiders

Now do this one - why is he looking inside to begin with? Does he have trouble tracking the ball??
I was talking to friends about this and this seems to be the problem. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with his eyesight.
Unless he some sort of accelerated medical condition where his eye sight has fallen apart in 12 months i don't think this is the case....he might just suck

I was talking to friends about this and this seems to be the problem. It makes me wonder if it has something to do with his eyesight.
Unless he some sort of accelerated medical condition where his eye sight has fallen apart in 12 months i don't think this is the case....he might just suck
Maybe vision is a better term. Mental aspect of sight. Of course the point still stands, how would you shred defenses in college if you can't track a football?

On the one that hit him in the facemask, the defender held his arm down before the ball arrived, which should have been a penalty.

You right

Here’s the Gibbs TD, please stop it at ~ one second. Jamo is checking with the sidejudge, missed the snap. Gibbs has the ball & #9 hasn’t moved.

Williams might not be a good WR but he is a good blocker!

You right

Williams might not be a good WR but he is a good blocker!
Maybe they should move him to TE.

Maybe vision is a better term. Mental aspect of sight. Of course the point still stands, how would you shred defenses in college if you can't track a football?

well about 30% of 1st round wrs go on to have a couple of 1000-yard seasons and the rest do absolutely nothing. So sucking in the NFL is more popular than actual succeeding is.

Last edited:
The more I watch Williams and the way he plays not sure he is cut out to be a system type WR. St Brown is a sharp route runner and always where he is supposed to be. Goff can throw the ball before St Brown is even looking.

I see now why he never played at OSU in front of Olave, Wilson and Nijigma. Those guys run crisp routes.

Williams had some big plays at Bama when things broke down and Young was out of the pocket. Break the route, use his speed as the QB freewheels. There is no doubt he can get open in those situations. Much like Tyreek Hill did at KC with Mahomes.

Right now I would use him to return punts, and the gunner on punts like he did at Bama, just to keep him involved more.

I stated before I can see Williams being a Deshaun Jackson type. Might not be your go to guy to move the chains but capable like Jackson was of breaking a big one. Just hope it is with the Lions.

he would appear to be not very good at football (except run blocking)

looking at PFF season long stats, there are 110 ranked WRs with at least 12 targets

Jamo is 110th rn

taking out the minimum filter, and adding TEs to the mix, here are Detroit's receivers:
  • Amon-Ra St Brown 83.4 (14th out of 277) 51-557-3 66 targets
  • Josh Reynolds 78.2 (26th out of 277) 21-384-3 29 targets
  • Kalif Raymond 76.2 (38th out of 277) 16-207-1 19 targets
  • Sam LaPorta 72.1 (55th out of 277) 35-377-3 49 targets [TE4]
  • Antoine Green 50.1 (242nd out of 277) 1-2-0 2 targets
  • Jameson Williams 44.6 (263rd out of 277) 4-55-1 12 targets
  • Marvin Jones Jr 43.8 (268th out of 277) 5-34-0 9 targets
  • Brock Wright 38.0 (277th out of 277) 6-40-0 5 targets

I kind of have to agree with @Da Guru, why not just hand him over to ST Coordinator Dave Fipp (one of the best in the game - Lions were #1 in special teams last year), tell him to have him return kicks, be the gunner, get something out of him. Make Kalif the 3rd WR / flanker and play Jamo in 4 wide or bunch formations. Doesn't seem to be able to do much with 8/9ths of the route tree.

• Laughing
Reactions: Bri
he would appear to be not very good at football (except run blocking)

looking at PFF season long stats, there are 110 ranked WRs with at least 12 targets

Jamo is 110th rn

taking out the minimum filter, and adding TEs to the mix, here are Detroit's receivers:
  • Amon-Ra St Brown 83.4 (14th out of 277) 51-557-3 66 targets
  • Josh Reynolds 78.2 (26th out of 277) 21-384-3 29 targets
  • Kalif Raymond 76.2 (38th out of 277) 16-207-1 19 targets
  • Sam LaPorta 72.1 (55th out of 277) 35-377-3 49 targets [TE4]
  • Antoine Green 50.1 (242nd out of 277) 1-2-0 2 targets
  • Jameson Williams 44.6 (263rd out of 277) 4-55-1 12 targets
  • Marvin Jones Jr 43.8 (268th out of 277) 5-34-0 9 targets
  • Brock Wright 38.0 (277th out of 277) 6-40-0 5 targets

I kind of have to agree with @Da Guru, why not just hand him over to ST Coordinator Dave Fipp (one of the best in the game - Lions were #1 in special teams last year), tell him to have him return kicks, be the gunner, get something out of him. Make Kalif the 3rd WR / flanker and play Jamo in 4 wide or bunch formations. Doesn't seem to be able to do much with 8/9ths of the route tree.
Thanks for the stats. I held on to him almost the whole time from when he was drafted. Felt like a son. 😆 Hope he figures it put eventually. He's officially off my roster.

The media inquiries about Jamo and when he's gonna get it together are relentless. Every media appearance for Dan Campbell, Ben Johnson, and Jared Goff, there's always multiple Jamo questions.

Yesterday was no exception:

Jared Goff on Jameson Williams

Jamo media appearance in the locker room
Ben Johnson had some not great comments about Jamo today. Basically "some guys just take longer than others, Jamo isn't there yet"

Found this from Twentyman:

Lions OC Ben Johnson on WR Jameson Williams and the disconnect last week between targets and production: “Time on task still. I know it’s beating a dead horse by saying that, but some guys take longer than others to develop a rapport with. We frankly aren’t there yet.”

Consistent with what Dan Campbell and Goff have said. Time on task, he needs more reps. No one seems frustrated yet, they know he's capable and will get there. Eventually. Hopefully?

If he'd start lining up correctly, knowing the snap count, running routes correctly instead of causing interceptions, and proving he doesn't have duck feet where his hands are supposed to be, that would super awesome.

If he'd start lining up correctly, knowing the snap count, running routes correctly instead of causing interceptions, and proving he doesn't have duck feet where his hands are supposed to be, that would super awesome.
Yeah, that is the thing. Sure Tyreek has a level of speed and acceleration that is supremely rare but he is also honed in on his craft and pretty much has been from his first year or 2 in the league. I don't know if Jamo is unserious or unfocused or a struggling learner or what but he just hasn't been able to prove himself reliable. It is very clear the coaches only trust him with very specific concepts and plays. Much of what they use him for seems like things dialed up especially for him and aren't just part of the offense. I still am of the opinion that right now best case scenario for him is Rashid Shaheed. Which is actually very helpful for real football but anyone who invested for dynasty is going to be disappointed.

Yes watching the play, Jameson really makes a great catch. If you think this is just a track star playing football, the answer is no. This is Tyreek Hill level talent that is just getting started. His ability to get separation, stop and start on a dime, and reach max acceleration again is not even fair.
That is the problem. We are 1.5 years in and we still are talking about "the play" because the guy has 5 career receptions on a team desperate for receiver help.

Irks me how often sportswriters those purporting to write news items botch basic information. Jamo was playing his 3rd game (not his second) since his suspension was reduced. And people who think details don't matter are right behind writers in the things I find irksome.

Details are everything.

#grumpyoldman
I had to drop him. I have Monty, Connors and Ford and Richsrdson but sill have a 4-3 record despite the injuries. I quite honestly don't really know how good or bad he's going to be. I will say that there have been wr's with serious speed that couldn't quite put it together for one reason or other and were out of the league after a few years. The window seems smaller now for players to develope. He does have the draft capital going for him though. But I think that by now the drops and route running would have been alot less of an issue and I think that is what is most concerning to fantasy ballers. And in my opinion you don't let him return punts if there is lack of concentration issues imo

Irks me how often sportswriters those purporting to write news items botch basic information. Jamo was playing his 3rd game (not his second) since his suspension was reduced. And people who think details don't matter are right behind writers in the things I find irksome.

Details are everything.

#grumpyoldman
I had to drop him. I have Monty, Connors and Ford and Richsrdson but sill have a 4-3 record despite the injuries. I quite honestly don't really know how good or bad he's going to be. I will say that there have been wr's with serious speed that couldn't quite put it together for one reason or other and were out of the league after a few years. The window seems smaller now for players to develope. He does have the draft capital going for him though. But I think that by now the drops and route running would have been alot less of an issue and I think that is what is most concerning to fantasy ballers. And in my opinion you don't let him return punts if there is lack of concentration issues imo
Dynasty or redraft? You couldn't get anything in a trade?

I guess they have no choice but to be patient, but man this is the faintest praise I've seen in a long time. We are now at the "Listen, this guy loves football" stage of things. Wonder how long before, "Yeah, actually he hates football but he sure is fast"

"We frankly aren't there yet," Johnson said. "So, we'll continue to work on it and it's going to come, and when it does come, I think we're all going to be pleased."

"Listen, this guy loves football, so the more we can get him involved, the better off I think we're going to be," Johnson said.

I understand the draft capital and all that but can it be just as simple as he's having a difficult time adjusting to the NFL?

Users who are viewing this thread