What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Zay Jones, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Picked up Zay and put him in my starting lineup. Really didn't go as planned. Will probably go back to Diontae next week

7 targets, 2 receptions -- anyone see the game?

3 of his first 5 targets (0 receptions) were drops, couple of them were egregious

first drop (on 3rd & 3 from the 13) not only would have been a RZ first down, he might have scored

Jags settled for the FG and Lions scored on their next drive to make it 14-3

Zay Jones (chest) is active for Week 14 against the Titans.​

Jones was able to practice in a limited fashion all week and should be able to handle a full snap share on Sunday. Trevor Lawrence (toe) will also be active, making Jones an interesting play against a Titans pass funnel defense. He shapes up a WR3.
Dec 11, 2022, 12:01 PM ET

Zay Jones caught 6-of-8 targets for 109 yards and three touchdowns in the Jaguars' Week 15 win over the Cowboys.​

Trevor Lawrence hit Jones on a crossing route for a 5-yard TD in the second quarter. Jones then got wide open down the sideline for a 59-yard bomb in the third quarter. Lawrence hit him again in the end zone in the fourth quarter for a 3-yard score. A week after Evan Engram stepped up against the Titans, Jones carried the Jaguars' passing offense against the Cowboys. It was an impressive performance against a difficult Cowboys defense. Jones may have passed Christian Kirk as the top wide receiver in the passing game and looks like a FLEX option even in a difficult matchup against the Jets in Week 16.
Dec 18, 2022, 4:59 PM ET

Does Jones have fantasy WR1 potential for 2023? Or probably not?

Not so much for the TDs, but Jones is getting fed a lot. He and Lawrence seem to be developing a connection.

Not so much for the TDs, but Jones is getting fed a lot. He and Lawrence seem to be developing a connection.
Never say never…you don’t know how these things will work out, no one does. The exact same conversation was being had about Amon Ra last year at the same time. It seemed the consensus said he was the beneficiary of everyone being hurt and he was getting targets/productivity because he was the last man standing and once they brought in some new weapons he would fall back down to earth. Fast forward we know that that’s not the case and the same may be true for Jones.

The Jags signed their core last year with Kirk and Engram to go along with Lawrence….the fact that Jones is standing out and becoming the main target speaks volumes to me. He looks terrific.

Never say never…you don’t know how these things will work out, no one does. The exact same conversation was being had about Amon Ra last year at the same time. It seemed the consensus said he was the beneficiary of everyone being hurt and he was getting targets/productivity because he was the last man standing and once they brought in some new weapons he would fall back down to earth. Fast forward we know that that’s not the case and the same may be true for Jones.

The Jags signed their core last year with Kirk and Engram to go along with Lawrence….the fact that Jones is standing out and becoming the main target speaks volumes to me. He looks terrific.
Exact same thoughts I had with the ARSB comparison. The path was shown to us last year... top 5 WR 2nd half of the season.

If Zay Jones is undervalued in 2023, he'll be the steal of your draft.

Yes, perfect analogy to AMSB of last year. Heck, next year aside, take a look at your favorite "rest of the season rankings" for THIS season - where is Jones compared to Kirk? Jones had little pedigree or name recognition going into this season, and it can take a long time for the fantasy community to accept what they are seeing with their own eyes.

Zay was part of the core they brought in too. They signed him during free agency to a 3 year 24 million dollar contract that could reach 30 million with incentives. They felt like he was good fit, and he has been.

Exact same thoughts I had with the ARSB comparison. The path was shown to us last year... top 5 WR 2nd half of the season.

If Zay Jones is undervalued in 2023, he'll be the steal of your draft.
agreed. You have to be willing to not have your preconceived notions of how something will work out and look at the numbers, look at the productivity and most important to me is do that they have that quickness, the speed, the hands that they can keep doing it. after 25+ years playing this game I’ve finally figured out that you are going to be wrong a lot and you have be open to see changes of the guard early.

The major difference is ARSB was a rookie, while Zay Jones is 28 and has been in the league for 6 seasons, playing for 6 different teams. Sure, there have "late boomers" before who have gone onto being solid contributors so it's possible he ends up as one, but it also seems a bit fluky given the history.

The major difference is ARSB was a rookie, while Zay Jones is 28 and has been in the league for 6 seasons, playing for 6 different teams. Sure, there have "late boomers" before who have gone onto being solid contributors so it's possible he ends up as one, but it also seems a bit fluky given the history.
That’s totally fair and a good point. I’m by no means a Jones expert but I think he’s had some mental health issues/substance abuse? and maybe he’s coming through the other side. He’s clearly talented but you need to not only be talented but be able to handle the mental side of the game as well. It may not be late blooming as much as it is getting his life in order because he clearly has talent.

That's EXACTLY what we're talking about. Next summer FBG will have him ranked WR 25 or something like that, all this stuff you just wrote will be swirling around in your mind, and someone will grab him "too early" and cash in.

This is how leagues are won in redraft. Any mook can draft rounds 1-6.

and someone will grab him "too early" and cash in.

This is how leagues are won in redraft
well, it's also possible that someone takes him "too early" and it turns out to be a blunder because Jones was a "one year wonder".

You can point to ARSB, but I can then point to plenty of examples where a guy flashed for one season and then turned back into a pumpkin (Mushin Muhammad finished WR#1 overall one season after many seasons of average play). By no means am I saying that will happen here - but I was presenting a counter-point to the ARSB comparison because from the start there's a flaw in the premise (rookie v 6 year veteran who had shown little up to that point).

well, it's also possible that someone takes him "too early" and it turns out to be a blunder because Jones was a "one year wonder".

You can point to ARSB, but I can then point to plenty of examples where a guy flashed for one season and then turned back into a pumpkin (Mushin Muhammad finished WR#1 overall one season after many seasons of average play). By no means am I saying that will happen here - but I was presenting a counter-point to the ARSB comparison because from the start there's a flaw in the premise (rookie v 6 year veteran who had shown little up to that point).

Follow your gut. Believe what your eyes are seeing. Look at the situation vs previous years to date...

Or not. No matter to me.

Follow your gut. Believe what your eyes are seeing. Look at the situation vs previous years to date...

Or not. No matter to me.
Ok - wow.

Very mad that my top dynasty team who has Diggs was out scored by 25 pts by this guy. One and done. Unbelievable.

He’s always been a ppr jakobi Meyers type of guy. 10 ypr but I’m not sure what the **** 3 tds came out of

Very bullish on this offense with the addition of Ridley next year. As a Lawrence owner I’m ecstatic.

As far as owning any of the individual pieces I kinda feel like it’s just gonna go to whoever’s open and be hard to predict week to week though. Already seeing that between zay/Kirk/engram. Adding another talented piece just makes it worse. I think he will have value but be annoying to play.

But maybe that’s just me comforting myself after being right on the guy and drafting him everywhere but getting impatient and dropping him. Good on him for turning his career around either way

Zay Jones is playing tonight at the Jets ... and the weather report is looking brutal for the teams' passing games:

• Rain. Cold weather isn't that bad by itself, but when you toss in some rain, it gets much worse and there's expected to be a lot of rain on Thursday night. The forecast is calling for a 100% chance of rain between 8 and 11 p.m. ET, which means it is DEFINITELY going to be raining during the game. This isn't just any rain either, it's expected to be a torrential downpour with up to .6 inches of rain falling throughout the game.
  • Winds. The only thing worse than cold weather mixed with rain is cold weather mixed with rain AND high winds, and that's what will be happening at MetLife Stadium. There's so much wind expected Thursday night that the National Weather Service has actually issued a wind advisory. Winds are expected to be blowing at 20 to 25 mph for the game, but once the wind advisory kicks in at 10 p.m. ET, there could be gusts that get up to 30 or even 50 mph.
Basically, this is the perfect recipe for a low-scoring defensive struggle

I hated to do it, but I had to sub out Jones for Darius Slayton (playing indoors at Minnesota Saturday).

I've got to roll with him so hoping he can get something done. For what it is worth, here in NYC right now it's quite warm (45) and rainy. So it might be wet but I don't think it's going to be very cold. In fact it's supposed to get warmer as we move into the evening.

I believe I'm benching Zay in both my leagues, due to the rain and wind. If it helps anyone else make their decision, I'm looking at guys such as Juju, Mike Williams, Marquise Goodwin, and maybe Diontae to replace him.

I didn’t want to sit him but the combination of the weather and the Jets pass D/Sauce made me go in another direction. Fingers crossed that Juju comes through in my flex.

I believe I'm benching Zay in both my leagues, due to the rain and wind. If it helps anyone else make their decision, I'm looking at guys such as Juju, Mike Williams, Marquise Goodwin, and maybe Diontae to replace him.
I have Etienne going tonight already and sitting Z Jones because of the weather mostly. Options include Dionte Johnson, Drake London, or Marquise Goodwin.

I've got to roll with him so hoping he can get something done. For what it is worth, here in NYC right now it's quite warm (45) and rainy. So it might be wet but I don't think it's going to be very cold. In fact it's supposed to get warmer as we move into the evening.
Raining all game with a good amount of wind. Tough one

Picked him up in a shallow 9-team league and was surprised when I decided he should be in my lineup.

Now subbing him out with the weather in favor of Christian Watson. I play against him in a more important dynasty matchup so at least I know what I'm rooting for tonight, Rain, wind, and handoffs. Those starting him tonight can thank me later.

Just walked to the train and it’s downright balmy. No rain at the moment and no wind. Disclaimer: I’m not in the meadowlands and I’m not a meteorologist. Maybe @TLEF316 who is better positioned can chime in on conditions in his hood.

Zay or thielan indoors?
Thielen has been a little TD-reliant, but he’s had three scores in the last four games. Matchups are probably a lot easier for him now with JJ and Hockenson drawing defenders. I’d go Thielen this week.

• ORANGE : JAC @ NYJ -
    Starting a busy week off with a bang: Cold and wet in East Rutherford for TNF. Temps in the 40s, light rain early with increasingly heavier rain in the 2nd half, and gusty winds. Sustained winds 15-20mph with wind gusts 30-35mph. Just ugly ugly weather, I expect this will have an impact on the passing game and kicking game.

I saw some pre-game and it looked okay. The second half projection has my attention.

Just walked to the train and it’s downright balmy. No rain at the moment and no wind. Disclaimer: I’m not in the meadowlands and I’m not a meteorologist. Maybe @TLEF316 who is better positioned can chime in on conditions in his hood.

Sorry.....I'm not super close to metlife. I'm like 40 mins away in somerset County. FWIW, weather isn't that bad at the moment. Obviously super cold but not much wind or rain yet

Looks like I'm going to stick with Zay. 11-15 MPH wind should not be a deal breaker.

Brain says Zay- Jets play zone, Zay is best vs zone. Jags can elect to line Zay (their hot WR) away from Sauce.
Gut says-don't chase points, Jets pass D one of the best in the league. I hate taking the chance on a Thursday night crapping of the bed

I think the predictions of torrential rain and awful wind is way overblown. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to be all that bad at all. More like drizzle to normal rain and fairly normal wind conditions

Looks like I'm going to stick with Zay. 11-15 MPH wind should not be a deal breaker.

Brain says Zay- Jets play zone, Zay is best vs zone. Jags can elect to line Zay (their hot WR) away from Sauce.
Gut says-don't chase points, Jets pass D one of the best in the league. I hate taking the chance on a Thursday night crapping of the bed
:missing: :missing: Looks like I should have trusted my gut, Seems to be a blocker tonight.

:missing: :missing: Looks like I should have trusted my gut, Seems to be a blocker tonight.
Crazy to see a WR screen go to the TE with the WRs in front blocking o_O

Zay Jones caught 1-of-4 targets for 14 yards in the Jaguars' Week 16 win over the Jets.​

One of Jones' missed connections was a fourth quarter drop. Coming off a 6/109/3 explosion against Dallas, Jones crashed back down to earth as the Jags' receiver corps was faced with Sauce Gardner-led coverage in rainy, windy conditions. Painful for fantasy managers who took the WR3 plunge in the semifinals, but an effort Jones should immediately shake off in Week 17 against the Texans. That's if you were not put down the road to playoff elimination this evening.
Dec 22, 2022, 11:46 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread