What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (1 Viewer)

Gotta be soon…Nanc isn’t getting any younger and if there is a red wave in November it could be very soon…bottom line is it definitely happening when she is gone.
I don’t think she’d have anywhere near the votes for minority leader in 2023. That’s way too early, in my opinion.

Huh? I was asking about the cops. Are you claiming that this was some sort of ruse hatched by AOC and sympathetic Capitol Police to garner sympathetic PR or something?
Since when is it SOP to arrest someone but not put arm restraints on?  Yeah, there was definitely some "wink, wink" going on there.

If she was a right-wing kook, she would be looking at much more serious charges such as disrupting official proceedings or intimidation of judges, but she is a leftwing kook, so $50 fine  or less than she pays to have her nails done. 

I would compliment your friends in the media more…they put her out there and the people you loathe just respond.
I am offended that you would ever refer to the powers that be at Fox News as "my friends." I hate them as much or more than any force in American politics in my lifetime.

AOC is bright, young, and engaging, but there are other politicians who fit that description whose names I'm betting you wouldn't recognize. Her level of fame is almost entirely attributable to the obsessive hatred of Fox News and its audience.

I love how every tweet in her feed is written by AOC.....execpt this one.

The text is written as if someone else stepped in "Today, Rep. AOC was arrested...." and implying that she is "unable" to write her own tweet b/c you know, she was "arrested" 

well played!

She was "arrested" for blocking a thru way.  

Since when is it SOP to arrest someone but not put arm restraints on?  Yeah, there was definitely some "wink, wink" going on there.
Of course there is. I mean she was allowed to answer reporter questions while she was detained. 

She wasn't put in prison. She was charged with a very minor misdemeanor. You can find the exact charge she received. 

So there certainly was some show aspect to this, but ultimately they were all charged. 

Of course there is. I mean she was allowed to answer reporter questions while she was detained. 

She wasn't put in prison. She was charged with a very minor misdemeanor. You can find the exact charge she received. 

So there certainly was some show aspect to this, but ultimately they were all charged. 
I hope she demands a jury trial.

Seriously?  Come on, man.

They're the police tha have jurisdiction over the intersection (First St. and MD Ave NE) that the protest was blocking. They gave a couple warnings and then cleared the intersection, which is their job. Maybe they didn't put her in arm restraints. Maybe they did it after the picture/video you're looking at- if the people are not resisting sometimes they direct them away and then cuff them later on, as you can see happening here in these pics and video of non-famous Kavanaugh protestors getting arrested at the same location.

Not everything is a grand conspiracy at the expense of American conservatives, my friend.

"We're not obsessed with AOC!" claim people who break down a video of her getting arrested for a minor misdemeanor like it's the Zapruder film looking for any shred of evidence that she was given preferential treatment, as if that would somehow prove something important anyway.

I love how every tweet in her feed is written by AOC.....execpt this one.

The text is written as if someone else stepped in "Today, Rep. AOC was arrested...." and implying that she is "unable" to write her own tweet b/c you know, she was "arrested" 

well played!

Documenting whether someone's tweets are in the first or third person is definitely not a sign of an obsession, no way, how dare we even suggest such a thing.

If she was a right-wing kook, she would be looking at much more serious charges such as disrupting official proceedings or intimidation of judges, but she is a leftwing kook, so $50 fine  or less than she pays to have her nails done. 

Yeah, this is definitely correct.  It's all a big conspiracy. There's never ever right leaning protestors on Capitol Hill that get arrested on minor charges or not arrested at all after failing to comply with law enforcement directions. Nope, that never happens.

Jesus, do you people hear yourselves?  Read your posts and imagine a liberal saying them if, say, Elise Stefanik was arrested while protesting capital gains taxes or a 24 hour waiting period before purchasing a grenade launcher or whatever it is that the right still has to protest about in our counter-majoritarian theocracy.

I am offended that you would ever refer to the powers that be at Fox News as "my friends." I hate them as much or more than any force in American politics in my lifetime.

AOC is bright, young, and engaging, but there are other politicians who fit that description whose names I'm betting you wouldn't recognize. Her level of fame is almost entirely attributable to the obsessive hatred of Fox News and its audience.
Where did I mention Fox?  I was thinking more along the lines of NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, The New York Times, The Washington Post and those type of outlets…getting a nice chuckle that you think AOC is only popular because of Fox.

i don’t think it would be her but I think as a group the Squad will want a big say in who it is.

Absolutely not. And I wish they did. But no, that's not how this works at all. It'll be someone already in leadership.

Again - conservative media has given you all a wildly mistaken perspective on the influence of AOC and the squad. Sure, in doing so they've actually made them more influential, but they are still second-term House members with relatively little actual power. Conservative media chooses them because they know their audience will react very differently to this image as compared to this image even though both members are from the same part of the country and have essentially identical politics. 

Where did I mention Fox?  I was thinking more along the lines of NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, The New York Times, The Washington Post and those type of outlets…getting a nice chuckle that you think AOC is only popular because of Fox.

Only because of Fox?  No, of course not.

Primarily because of Fox and the various arms of conservative media that take their cues from Fox?  Absolutely.

But it is striking to discover just how much airtime the Democratic lawmakers have garnered — especially from some of their harshest critics.

Tucker Carlson, for example, has called Ocasio-Cortez a “moron” and asserted that immigrants like Omar, who was born in Somalia, are “dangerous.”

His prime-time show frequently promotes claims that “radical Dems are destroying the party,” to quote one recent on-screen banner.

Last week, Carlson said “it’s pretty obvious” that the freshman congresswomen “are becoming, with the help of CNN and MSNBC, the face of the Democratic Party.”

Carlson’s guest, Richard Goodstein, a lawyer and Democratic political consultant, challenged that. He pointed out that Fox News “does a pretty nice job of elevating her.” Carlson conceded the point but said “it’s not just Fox promoting these people.”

The data backs up Goodstein’s observation.

Between January 3 and July 20, Ocasio-Cortez has been mentioned at least 1,325 times on Fox News, according to data from the Internet Archive’s database of television news closed captioning text.

The database ingests all of the words that are uttered on a variety of TV sources, including cable news channels.

The data is incomplete because it does not include nicknames, like AOC, or other shorthand references to the names of individuals. But it provides a rough yardstick for how much airtime and attention is spent on various topics.

During the same time period, Ocasio-Cortez was mentioned at least 465 times on MSNBC and 464 times on CNN.

Omar’s name has been invoked at least 405 times on Fox this year, compared with 230 times on CNN and 177 times on MSNBC.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — who wields far more power than any individual congresswoman — has been mentioned at least 2,418 times on Fox, 2,068 times on MSNBC, and 1,957 times on CNN.

There are logical reasons why freshmen congresswomen, representing an insurgent wing of the party, have been getting an outsized amount of attention.

But the attention has been coming from Fox News at a far greater level than CNN or MSNBC.

For comparison’s sake, Democrat James Clyburn, a key member of House leadership, has been mentioned far less than Omar or Ocasio-Cortez. The closed captioning database found at least 63 mentions of Clyburn on Fox, 81 on MSNBC, and 57 on CNN.

Absolutely not. And I wish they did. But no, that's not how this works at all. It'll be someone already in leadership.

Again - conservative media has given you all a wildly mistaken perspective on the influence of AOC and the squad. Sure, in doing so they've actually made them more influential, but they are still second-term House members with relatively little actual power. Conservative media chooses them because they know their audience will react very differently to this image as compared to this image even though both members are from the same part of the country and have essentially identical politics. 
It is how it works…you need x amount of votes to be named Speaker so they will have a say.

Yeah, this is definitely correct.  It's all a big conspiracy. There's never ever right leaning protestors on Capitol Hill that get arrested on minor charges or not arrested at all after failing to comply with law enforcement directions. Nope, that never happens.

Jesus, do you people hear yourselves?  Read your posts and imagine a liberal saying them if, say, Elise Stefanik was arrested while protesting capital gains taxes or a 24 hour waiting period before purchasing a grenade launcher or whatever it is that the right still has to protest about in our counter-majoritarian theocracy.

Typical snatky head up your butt response.  No such thing as politicians abusing their power unless the other side is in charge.  Then we have endless investigations.  

Dude- the rest of what you wrote was the usual absurd crap, but this part is so true. I took my wife and daughters the other day to a nail appointment and I couldn’t believe it. 
Is there a cigar store, or a whisky bar, or a cigar store that sells whisky next door?  Because if not, why would you do this?

I am starting to admire your biased arrogance…I think it is impressive you know exactly how people you disdain think…it is quite an accomplishment.

What the heck are you talking about? And why do these attacks always turn personal? Did I insult you in some way?  I've stayed on subject throughout and never mentioned you by name. I offered objective evidence to support my basic assertion.

What the heck are you talking about? And why do these attacks always turn personal? Did I insult you in some way?  I've stayed on subject throughout and never mentioned you by name. I offered objective evidence to support my basic assertion.

Lol.  Yes, very objective for a partisan hack making the arguements personal.

Who knows but that seems to always be the case with this poster. 😞

If this kook you speak of was a member of Congress there would be nothing more than what happened to AOC. This was all a spectacle to help her and her causes. If Matt Gaetz was out there protesting some transgender law or whatever he would be "arrested" in the same fashion. Like it or not, our elected officials, democrat or republican, are treated differently 

If this kook you speak of was a member of Congress there would be nothing more than what happened to AOC. This was all a spectacle to help her and her causes. If Matt Gaetz was out there protesting some transgender law or whatever he would be "arrested" in the same fashion. Like it or not, our elected officials, democrat or republican, are treated differently 

AOC has supported and encouraged illegal protest outside supreme court justices personal residences as well as promoting harassing them out in public.  These activities are illegal and arguably constitutes intimadation of judges. Meanwhile the congressional J6 wants to criminalize congressional republican members for giving tours to constituents.  The double standards are repulsive and contrary to what our justice system stands for.  

So Tlaib during a congressional hearing with bank heads asked Jamie Dimon if JPM would commit to stopping lending to oil and gas projects. His answer - "Absolutely not and that would be the road to hell for America." :lmao: :lmao: You don't often here unfiltered responses in those things, but it was nice to see a brutally honest answer to her question.

So Tlaib during a congressional hearing with bank heads asked Jamie Dimon if JPM would commit to stopping lending to oil and gas projects. His answer - "Absolutely not and that would be the road to hell for America." :lmao: :lmao: You don't often here unfiltered responses in those things, but it was nice to see a brutally honest answer to her question.

I think she then said maybe people should close their accounts at the bank if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread